The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:30 am

LPH wrote:To be fair, I think smac WOULD know, Booney.
I don't think he's likely to provide "evidence" - confidentiality & all that

He may have been given information to that effect, for sure.

I'm interested to know how accurate this is though, the club are doing alot of things right on and off field at the moment and I find it hard to believe that such a thing could happen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:36 am

Booney wrote:

I'm interested to know how accurate this is though, the club are doing alot of things right on and off field at the moment and I find it hard to believe that such a thing could happen.

Maybe at the start of the season that could have been the case. Notably Koch went silent in the 2nd half of the year maybe they lifted their game in that department.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:39 am

Booney wrote:

Maybe you should go and ask them.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby stan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:55 am

Good luck to Williamstown this weekend. A crap decision from an equality point of view. But if you look at the response from people like Jay Clark from the sun saying that common sense has prevailled, then yoy can see that even the vic media see it as only a feeder or reserves comp only. Time for the other actual VFL clubs to make a seperate league.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:14 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Booney wrote:

Maybe you should go and ask them.

I plan to, but I'm not going to go off half cocked with only second/third/fourth hand information.

Thanks for the support John! :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:52 pm

stan wrote:Good luck to Williamstown this weekend. A crap decision from an equality point of view. But if you look at the response from people like Jay Clark from the sun saying that common sense has prevailled, then yoy can see that even the vic media see it as only a feeder or reserves comp only. Time for the other actual VFL clubs to make a seperate league.

The funding for this would come from???
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:58 pm

RustyCage wrote:
stan wrote:Good luck to Williamstown this weekend. A crap decision from an equality point of view. But if you look at the response from people like Jay Clark from the sun saying that common sense has prevailled, then yoy can see that even the vic media see it as only a feeder or reserves comp only. Time for the other actual VFL clubs to make a seperate league.

It would be a bold move, that's for sure.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:00 pm

RustyCage wrote:

The AFL .. But the VFL clubs could easily call their bluff. Reduced funding at VFL level would make it a pretty average/amateur league, but the AFL clubs need all of the state leagues in place to produce the talent. Without them the AFL clubs would be hit with the additional financial burden of having to do it themselves, and the AFL is fearful of how delicately poised financially many of it's clubs are.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby RustyCage » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:11 pm

The AFL would just start a reserves comp in Victoria if the VFL teams up and left, and just draft players in Victoria from the TAC cup and that AFL reserves comp, while the VFL teams would receive no funding for their renegade league and the clubs wouldn't survive.
RustyCage

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:12 pm

RustyCage wrote:The AFL would just start a reserves comp in Victoria if the VFL teams up and left, and just draft players in Victoria from the TAC cup and that AFL reserves comp, while the VFL teams would receive no funding for their renegade league and the clubs wouldn't survive.

But the AFL doesn't want the cost of a reserves comp. Otherwise there'd be one now.
The non-aligned clubs do have a smidge of bargaining power, just a smidge.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby RustyCage » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:17 pm

They have some bargaining power, but they also know they need the AFL involvement and funding so won't go and do anything stupid like creating a new league.
RustyCage

Postby Rising Power » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:45 pm

7 WAFL, 8 SANFL and 5 VFL clubs not aligned to AFL clubs. Find a white knight to fund a rebel 20-team national league to rival the AFL...

Insert standard "How about you just *** off out of our comp instead" remark here...
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby wild dog » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Rising Power wrote:7 WAFL, 8 SANFL and 5 VFL clubs not aligned to AFL clubs. Find a white knight to fund a rebel 20-team national league to rival the AFL...

Insert standard "How about you just *** off out of our comp instead" remark here...

Or the AFL can acknowledge the traditional leagues and allow them to prosper without destroying the integrity of the competition.

Insert standard "You're ****ing dreaming if you believe the SANFL can survive without the AFL" remark here
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby wild dog » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:13 pm

RustyCage wrote:They have some bargaining power, but some also crave the AFL involvement and funding so won't go and do anything innovative like reverting back to an independent league.

Edited for accuracy
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby JK » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:15 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
RustyCage wrote:The AFL would just start a reserves comp in Victoria if the VFL teams up and left, and just draft players in Victoria from the TAC cup and that AFL reserves comp, while the VFL teams would receive no funding for their renegade league and the clubs wouldn't survive.

But the AFL doesn't want the cost of a reserves comp. Otherwise there'd be one now.

Spot on. Would really help though if all the SANFL clubs could improve their finances somehow, too many struggling these days probably feels as though they don't have much bargaining power.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby LPH » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Rising Power wrote:7 WAFL, 8 SANFL and 5 VFL clubs not aligned to AFL clubs. Find a white knight to fund a rebel 20-team national league to rival the AFL...

No need to insert it, you've already said what many are thinking! :D
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:23 pm

JK wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Spot on. Would really help though if all the SANFL clubs could improve their finances somehow, too many struggling these days probably feels as though they don't have much bargaining power.

Either clubs are sitting on their hands ( which it highly improbable ) or revenue streams have, well, dried up.

I would think investing heavily in an SANFL club from a sponsorship view point would not be high on the list of many companies when many sectors of business are currently experiencing tough times.

How do they turn it around though?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Aerie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:27 pm

The VFL's been screwed for ages. Pretty simple, have the Crows and Power join them and let the 8 SANFL clubs battle it out by themselves for the SANFL premiership.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby JK » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Either clubs are sitting on their hands ( which it highly improbable ) or revenue streams have, well, dried up.

I would think investing heavily in an SANFL club from a sponsorship view point would not be high on the list of many companies when many sectors of business are currently experiencing tough times.

How do they turn it around though?

Thats the million dollar question mate .. I would imagine all clubs are trying to decrease costs and improve revenue, although most if not all, spend close to the max allowable on players and footy department because they consider an onfield slide as too dangerous. Catch 22 situation stopping many clubs from tightening their belts as much as they could/should. Traditional Income streams like membership and attendance aren't going to swing around massively enough to get clubs out of the poo one wouldn't think. It would need to come via some form of commercial investment which obviously brings its own risks. Very tough climate for SANFL clubs.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby LPH » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:44 pm

JK wrote:
Thats the million dollar question mate .. I would imagine all clubs are trying to decrease costs and improve revenue, although most if not all, spend close to the max allowable on players and footy department because they consider an onfield slide as too dangerous. Catch 22 situation stopping many clubs from tightening their belts as much as they could/should. Traditional Income streams like membership and attendance aren't going to swing around massively enough to get clubs out of the poo one wouldn't think. It would need to come via some form of commercial investment which obviously brings its own risks. Very tough climate for SANFL clubs.

They were warned!
They only have themselves to blame - allowing Cows Members free access to games was a shocking decision, no revenue in that!
As for the Memberships - traditional supporters & members have spoken with their feet.

I remain astounded at the 'bloodymindedness' of the CEOs.
Slaven's arrogance was (I assume) indicative of their belief that the Reserves Teams was beneficial.
Now they are stuck between a rock & a hard place.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL