Preliminary Final - Port v South @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 14/9)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Preliminary Final - Port v South @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 14

Postby Rising Power » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:54 pm

blueandwhite wrote:
Rising Power wrote:If the #carnthepear lose it's probably more likely that the 3 emergencies would NOT play so as to not risk injury to them - but the rules seem to imply they have to play. The reserves have only won 3 out of the last 9 games with very unsettled and unbalanced teams. They haven't had a genuine ruckman since round 8 and had an irish kid with less than 18 games experience playing as a key defender at times. South should romp it home.

Port also have a $6million salary cap compared to our 330k, also have a team of fulltime professional players who train 7 days a week , they also have state of the art sports medicine and rehab facilities that sanfl clubs could only dream of.

Your right...we should romp in. ..and what an acute embarrrassment for the Port Adelaide football club if we do... :twisted:

No excuses.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby SimonH » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Everything I say below is based on the assumption that the qualification requirements remain 'live' in finals (i.e. finals matches count) and aren't set in stone at the end of the minor round. There's nothing in the wording to suggest that finals should be ignored, but no-one's 100% confirmed it. However, the list published by Port Adelaide (quoted by RustyCage above) presumes that it is set in stone at the end of the minor round.

I've also assumed that an AFL team is deemed to be "involved" for the whole weekend when they play finals—otherwise, if the 2 sets of games were to overlap (with the AFL finishing first), the 2nds might have to take players off at half-time of their SANFL final!

In short, if the AFL team lines up as selected, and if everyone who can fly back does fly back from Perth and play SANFL, there are 2 players included in the list published by PAFC who now don't (or at least shouldn't) qualify—O'Shea and Moore—and 2 players who were excluded from the list published by PAFC who will qualify—Impey (who qualifies regardless of what happens this weekend) and Aaron Young.

Impey: At the time that list was published, he didn't qualify. Right now he does, because he's played 3 of the last 4 SANFL games, playing SANFL Rs 16 and 17, not playing at all on the weekend of 22-24 August (SANFL R18), and playing 2SF. Therefore he qualifies under the '3 of the last 5 games at SANFL level' rule. Even if Port didn't play him this weekend in the SANFL, it'll still be 3 of the last 5 and he'd be eligible for GF selection if they made it.

O'Shea: As we speak, doesn't qualify because he's played 10 AFL and 10 SANFL games this year, i.e. not the majority of his football at SANFL level. (And all of his SANFL were ages ago, so no '3 out of 5' chance for him.) He's in the named 22 for the Pahhhhr 1sts, so there's no way he'll play SANFL, therefore after this weekend he really, really won't qualify.

Mitchell: This is a tight one. 10 AFL and 8 SANFL this year, so definitely not under that rule. At the time the list was published, he'd played 3 of the last 5 SANFL minor round matches: R14, 17, 18. However, R14 is ancient history now. In the last 4 Port SANFL games he's played 2: R17 and R18. So he must play SANFL this weekend to make the 3/5 and qualify for the GF if they win. Because he had the weekend off last weekend as well, definitely the pick to fly back and play if only 1 of them does. That said, there's another emergency they may be motivated to fly back & play...

Young: Another one on the edge, who qualifies only if he plays SANFL this weekend. 14 AFL, 4 SANFL for the year, but 2 of those SANFL games were R18 and 2SF, so add a 3rd and he'll qualify under the 3/5 rule.

Neade: Makes it easily even though he's been an automatic pick for the Pahhhhhr AFL side for a few weeks now. 14 SANFL, 6 AFL this year.

Moore: As we speak, 8 SANFL and 7 AFL games this year (with the SANFL having been a while back). So if he lines up as selected in the AFL, he will lose his 'majority SANFL' and will no longer qualify.

All of that said: carrrrn the Panthers.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby LPH » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:59 pm

There is a direct flight with Virgin (only 4 seats available in economy) - departing 5:55pm from Perth tomorrow, cost $569 one way.
I assume they fly Virgin, as they sponsor the AFL.

If they fly Business Class, $1550 each.

I repeat, who pays the bill?
SANFL Club (aka Magpies) or AFL Club (aka Power).
Or does the SANFL pay?

Should they fly Business Class & the SANFL (essentially the 8 Clubs) have to pay, that's roughly $550 per Club.
Same as 4 x memberships.

Hmmm...
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Rising Power » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Everybody loves an anti-Port love in. Especially Port.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby Rising Power » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:05 pm

LPH wrote:There is a direct flight with Virgin (only 4 seats available in economy) - departing 5:55pm from Perth tomorrow, cost $569 one way.

Or does the SANFL pay?

Should they fly Business Class & the SANFL (essentially the 8 Clubs) have to pay, that's roughly $550 per Club.
Same as 4 x memberships.

Hmmm...

SANFL Club or AFL Club? I'd have thought it would all come out of the same bank account, you know, since the merger (Magpies dead, now Port Power FC est 1997 which is in itself a good effort considering their first official match was in February that year but I digress). I'd think the club would pay, why would the SANFL pay for it?
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby SimonH » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:12 pm

LPH wrote:There is a direct flight with Virgin (only 4 seats available in economy) - departing 5:55pm from Perth tomorrow, cost $569 one way.

Or does the SANFL pay?

Same as 4 x memberships.

Hmmm...
The Pahhhhr 2nds (formerly Magpies) run on $400 per week for Steve Summerton, the interest on the loan for the cost of a 6-foot high shiny sign saying 'Welcome to the Academy!' that was a condition of Surjan accepting his job as coach of the 3rds, plus a few leftover boot studs someone found in the corner of the change room.

I think it's very very safe to say that anything that relates to flights for anyone who does anything at all with an AFL club, is done under the auspices of the AFL club. I won't use the words "paid for" though, 'cos no doubt there's some really complicated contra arrangement between Virgin and the AFL, which the individual clubs are the beneficiaries of as they fly their players and officials all over the country through the season.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:26 pm

**** me....now the flights they take is subject to a Royal Commission. :lol:

Can we find out who pays for their water at the airport? What if they want a magazine for the flight?

Salary cap investigation!!!!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby RB » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Stuff the plane, the six league commissioners should piggy-back the emergencies back across the Nullabor.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby footywise » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Regarding qaulifying, do norwood hope power win or lose tomorow night?

Win but win wounded?
footywise

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby footywise » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:47 pm

RB wrote:Stuff the plane, the six league commissioners should piggy-back the emergencies back across the Nullabor.

No buffet lunches across the nullabour
footywise

Postby Jim05 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:58 pm

RB wrote:Stuff the plane, the six league commissioners should piggy-back the emergencies back across the Nullabor.

Stopping every 10 minutes to re insert their snouts into the trough?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:59 pm

footywise wrote:Regarding qaulifying, do norwood hope power win or lose tomorow night?

Win but win wounded?

Dont care who we play but someone from South doing a Steven Sims would be fine by me
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby footywise » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:11 pm

Jim05 wrote:
footywise wrote:Regarding qaulifying, do norwood hope power win or lose tomorow night?

Win but win wounded?

Dont care who we play but someone from South doing a Steven Sims would be fine by me

Lol
footywise

Postby southee » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:23 pm

Or does the SANFL pay?

Same as 4 x memberships.

Hmmm...

From what I am hearing , the SANFL will be paying !
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby footywise » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:53 pm

You cant be serious. Will they pay for brooksby to come back from his brothers 30th birthday show on sat night ? got about as much to do with the sanfl as whatever these port magpie players are doing the night before. both have nothing to do with our competition
footywise

Postby footywise » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:55 pm

I just texted booka boo and told him to charter a flight home and book it diwn to the sanfl
footywise

Postby RustyCage » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:21 pm

What crap. The SANFL doesn't pay for emergencies or coaches to fly back at any other time of the year, why would they now?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby RB » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:28 pm

southee wrote:

Or does the SANFL pay?

Same as 4 x memberships.

Hmmm...

From what I am hearing , the SANFL will be paying !

What, with the integrity of the comp?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:32 pm

No mention of this game on Ch 9 news, how bout Ch 7 news?
Increased interest and coverage my ass
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Keefy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:00 pm

daysofourlives wrote:No mention of this game on Ch 9 news, how bout Ch 7 news?
Increased interest and coverage my ass

Don't know about tonight but Rolfe was on Wed night and Brooksby last night on Ch 7
Keefy
League - Best 21

Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL