SAAFL Division 2 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 2 grand final?

Broadview
20%
Flinders Park
7%
Gepps Cross
11%
PAOC
4%
PHOS Camden
9%
PNU
16%
Scotch OC
7%
SHOC
5%
SMOSH
15%
Walkerville
5%

Total votes : 95

Re: SAAFL Division 2 2014

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:32 pm

jo172 wrote:[

His 26th reserves game but who's counting.

!

You're a clever boy Jo, I think even you knew what I was getting at. :roll:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Heart2Heart wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Heart2Heart wrote:SHOC

back to div 1.

Thanks to the paoc boys for today

They only just scraped into the finals didn't they?

Couldn't miss going into the last round but they are the first team in history to be promoted to div 1 with only 8 wins

Ummm, actually.... :-B

Henley and Grange won the A2 1934 flag after winning 8 games in the Minor Round.

They defeated Exeter, undefeated in the Minor Round, 10-12 to 10-9 in the Grand Final played at Unley Oval.

Both teams promoted to A1 in 1935.

Definitely not taking away from the feat though - fantastic effort by the Shoccers.

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby jo172 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:25 pm

The stat on the SAAFL Facebook's page about SHOC getting promoted with 8 wins (and how scarce this is) is amazing.

Well done to them and just shows how even A2 was this year
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:30 pm

jo172 wrote:The stat on the SAAFL Facebook's page about SHOC getting promoted with 8 wins (and how scarce this is) is amazing.

Well done to them and just shows how even A2 was this year

I agree an incredible stat as I think they were relegated a few years ago from Div 1 with 6 or 7 wins IIRC.

With such a meteoric rise they would have to be red hot favourites this week ;)

Going to be a huge day from 8.30am until I'm estimating 11.30pm
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby jo172 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:32 pm

That would be 11:30 pm Tuesday the 23rd? ;)
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:35 pm

jo172 wrote:That would be 11:30 pm Tuesday the 23rd? ;)

Working the SaNFL GF Sunday but will be back in form for Mad Monday :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby kickittome » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:09 am

jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Firstly, congratulations to SHOC - it appears to be all coming together at the right time!

Secondly, I couldn't count on one hand the amount of B grade games Tyson Burrows has played in the last 15 years, let alone this season, so imagine my surprise when I saw him r un out in the ressies today. :shock:

His 26th reserves game but who's counting.

Judging by SHOCs last three weeks and the close PNU and PAOC game last week you'd have to say SHOC will be bullish if not outright favorites.

From a PNU perspective we're stoked to have the 1s and 2s in the big dance for the first time in almost 15 years. Hopefully the under 18s do the job tomorrow and we have a great week!

Good luck to the mighty falcons on the weekend would be great to see both grades get up.
Yep it was 2000 at edwardstown oval payneham had both grades in the gf. The ressies getting over the pretty Pembroke boys & the a grade unfortunately going down to portland. Was a happy young man that day got dropped to the b grade for the gf & ended up in the winning team!
kickittome
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Footy Follower » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:33 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Firstly, congratulations to SHOC - it appears to be all coming together at the right time!

Secondly, I couldn't count on one hand the amount of B grade games Tyson Burrows has played in the last 15 years, let alone this season, so imagine my surprise when I saw him run out in the ressies today. :shock:

Generally the reserves grade competitions can be decided on a bit of luck the way players "fall" into qualifying to drop down. It looks like the guy your talking about above played 12 A grade games this year and zero B grade until finals. However because the A grade were still playing he slipped into the reserves side to strengthen them up. I am sure there would have been a few more Payneham players drop down on the weekend vs SHOC who played A's the week before. It seems an unfair advantage but at the end of the day it is rewarding the clubs that have A grades that make the finals which is what the competition is all about. Can go the other way too sometimes.
Footy Follower
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Footy Follower wrote:

Secondly, I couldn't count on one hand the amount of B grade games Tyson Burrows has played in the last 15 years, let alone this season, so imagine my surprise when I saw him run out in the ressies today. :shock:

Generally the reserves grade competitions can be decided on a bit of luck the way players "fall" into qualifying to drop down. It looks like the guy your talking about above played 12 A grade games this year and zero B grade until finals. However because the A grade were still playing he slipped into the reserves side to strengthen them up. I am sure there would have been a few more Payneham players drop down on the weekend vs SHOC who played A's the week before. It seems an unfair advantage but at the end of the day it is rewarding the clubs that have A grades that make the finals which is what the competition is all about. Can go the other way too sometimes.

There were none. Burrows played in the Reserves Preliminary Final because he played in the Reserves Second Semi Final.

A problem that needs to be reviewed (and ****** if I know a water tight solution) is that Club's no longer have to submit a team sheet when their side has the week off in the finals. Causes these kind of anomalies.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:52 pm

and not even a certain starter in the 1's I hear.

He'll be happy about that.

Footy Chick

Postby zedman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:00 pm

jo172: does macca coach the u/18s as well as the A grade at PNU?
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:03 pm

zedman wrote:jo172: does macca coach the u/18s as well as the A grade at PNU?

Yep. It's been an amazing blessing for the players as individuals and as a team to have a football person the quality of Garry coaching under 18s and a ridiculous boost to the club as a whole as it's made the transition from under 18s to seniors as seamless as possible. Our under 18 retention rates since he started coaching are near perfect (and have contributed greatly to our recent senior success)

36 wins from 39 games for Macca this year. Here's hoping the ratio stays that pretty come 4 pm Saturday!
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby zedman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:36 pm

jo172 wrote:

Yep. It's been an amazing blessing for the players as individuals and as a team to have a football person the quality of Garry coaching under 18s and a ridiculous boost to the club as a whole as it's made the transition from under 18s to seniors as seamless as possible. Our under 18 retention rates since he started coaching are near perfect (and have contributed greatly to our recent senior success)

36 wins from 39 games for Macca this year. Here's hoping the ratio stays that pretty come 4 pm Saturday!

awesome..i saw the pics on sunday and thought he looked he was the coach..that is a fantastic set up for retention and also attraction..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Yank Man » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 pm

zedman wrote:
jo172 wrote:

awesome..i saw the pics on sunday and thought he looked he was the coach..that is a fantastic set up for retention and also attraction..

I reckon what Macca has done at PNU over the years would probably be one of the all time greatest feats in SAAFL history the way he has developed and led the club. Champion bloke and obviously extremely dedicated. Have had the pleasure of meeting him and coaching against him. Good wishes for Saturday guys. :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:25 pm

An to think in September 2012 he was a bees dick away from going to Hope Valley. In the end it was his work with the juniors and a comment from one of the juniors that kept him at PNU and the rest is history. 2 years later we are back in the top flight playing for back to back flags on the weekend. Great coach and great bloke 8)
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:40 pm

Never met Macca but what he's done with your club is admirable. Numbers and scoreboard results don't lie to quote a former coach of mine. I'm with Yank.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Yank Man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:21 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Never met Macca but what he's done with your club is admirable. Numbers and scoreboard results don't lie to quote a former coach of mine. I'm with Yank.

LK the real quality he showed was to us in our 2012 GF that we were lucky enough to play at PNU. Word had got out that our skipper had left his boots home, the first person in the rooms was Macca and he turned the place upside down trying to find a pair in the property room to see if their was some that would fit. Seriously who does that stuff, most people wouldn't give a toss. He is a football person through and through. Really hope they win Saturday and knock off our arch rivals. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby jo172 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:07 am

Yank Man wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Never met Macca but what he's done with your club is admirable. Numbers and scoreboard results don't lie to quote a former coach of mine. I'm with Yank.

LK the real quality he showed was to us in our 2012 GF that we were lucky enough to play at PNU. Word had got out that our skipper had left his boots home, the first person in the rooms was Macca and he turned the place upside down trying to find a pair in the property room to see if their was some that would fit. Seriously who does that stuff, most people wouldn't give a toss. He is a football person through and through. Really hope they win Saturday and knock off our arch rivals. :D

I've had nightmares along those exact lines before big finals!
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Fricky » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:46 pm

I worked behind the bar at the old Norwood clubrooms when Macca coached there and he was always awesome. You also knew where you stood with him as he wasnt one to shirk an issue. On Mad Monday in 2002, some players got a little bit out of hand and all Macca had to say was "everyone out" and all the players cleared out and moved their drinking to another bar.

I've had some small conversations with him at Walkerville as he always came up to the bar after games and he continues to be one of the nice guys. I'm glad i never had to play against him though, tough as nails footballer.

It'll be a good GF but PNU will win. Will this make it 4 or 5 flags for Macca at the Falcons?
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby jo172 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Suri wrote:

I worked behind the bar at the old Norwood clubrooms when Macca coached there and he was always awesome. You also knew where you stood with him as he wasnt one to shirk an issue. On Mad Monday in 2002, some players got a little bit out of hand and all Macca had to say was "everyone out" and all the players cleared out and moved their drinking to another bar.

I've had some small conversations with him at Walkerville as he always came up to the bar after games and he continues to be one of the nice guys. I'm glad i never had to play against him though, tough as nails footballer.

It'll be a good GF but PNU will win. Will this make it 4 or 5 flags for Macca at the Falcons?

Would make 4 A Grade Flags in the 10 years since he took over (and an Under 18s!)

We don't like to remember too much about the 2009 Grand Final
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League