Biggest Finals Upsets

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Biggest Finals Upsets

by morell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
morell wrote:I started typing out all the CLG finals chokes but ran into the safooty word limit.

now, now - probably not as bad as some... ive got details somewhere but don't have time to post.

I'd suggest that ours probably isn't much better.
yeah but everyone likes Hope Valley.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

by jo172 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:30 pm

morell wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
morell wrote:I started typing out all the CLG finals chokes but ran into the safooty word limit.

now, now - probably not as bad as some... ive got details somewhere but don't have time to post.

Refer you to Div 8 thread
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

by Footy Chick » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Yep, we're all shit people according to the Evil Empire crew.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

by jo172 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Yep, we're all shit people according to the Evil Empire crew.

Your evil empire seems to have expanded to include PAOC and Golden Grove?
jo172
League - Top 5

by Footy Chick » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:39 pm

No, there will only ever be one evil empire.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

by NO-MERCY » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:40 pm

Footy Chick wrote:No, there will only ever be one evil empire.

Yeah he umpired the Div 2GF in 2001. [-X
NO-MERCY
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

by morell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:54 pm

jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Refer you to Div 8 thread
Some quality reading, but they still have a decade or two of vituperation to approach CLG.
morell
Coach

by laser » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:22 pm

morell wrote:vituperation

Vituperation is a noun that refers to critical, abusive language.
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

by morell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Correct. Like criticism or flak.

As in, the community of safooty needs to give Hope Valley another decade of flak, criticism and/or vituperation to approach CLG in the not being liked game.

Its a good word to use ever since vitriol was spammed in the great interweb flame war of '98.

But we digress. Lets get back to CLG finals failure shall we?
morell
Coach

by mighty hounds » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:43 pm

morell wrote:Correct. Like criticism or flak.

As in, the community of safooty needs to give Hope Valley another decade of flak, criticism and/or vituperation to approach CLG in the not being liked game.

Its a good word to use ever since vitriol was spammed in the great interweb flame war of '98.

But we digress. Lets get back to CLG finals failure shall we?

At least they get themselves into a position to play finals. :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

by morell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Sure, but this isn't the thread to discuss making the finals, its about losing finals you're not supposed to. Of which there are many in CLG's recent history...

Feel free to recall any Mitchell Park finals failures if you like, 2011 is a good place to start. We went out in straight sets when a few picked us to make the granny. Lost to SHOC (as expected, they went on to win the flag) and then Angle Vale at home - unexpected for everyone bar Mitchell Park people I'd suggest.

Avoid 2002, were we went undefeated in the finals. Also avoid 2012, where we again went undefeated in the finals. 2008 (?) we finished 4th, knocked off Angle Vale in the EF, then beat Athelstone at Raggie Park before succumbing to a rampaging Henley in a PF. There was a season when I was in Melbourne when we lost an EF I believe.
morell
Coach

by morell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:06 pm

Also, there is a guaranteed "like" for anyone who can post the champagne glass controversy in all its glory
morell
Coach

by Yank Man » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 pm

morell wrote:Also, there is a guaranteed "like" for anyone who can post the champagne glass controversy in all its glory

So what's with all the vitriol against CLG morell. :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

by mighty hounds » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:35 pm

morell wrote:Sure, but this isn't the thread to discuss making the finals, its about losing finals you're not supposed to. Of which there are many in CLG's recent history...

Feel free to recall any Mitchell Park finals failures if you like, 2011 is a good place to start. We went out in straight sets when a few picked us to make the granny. Lost to SHOC (as expected, they went on to win the flag) and then Angle Vale at home - unexpected for everyone bar Mitchell Park people I'd suggest.

Avoid 2002, were we went undefeated in the finals. Also avoid 2012, where we again went undefeated in the finals. 2008 (?) we finished 4th, knocked off Angle Vale in the EF, then beat Athelstone at Raggie Park before succumbing to a rampaging Henley in a PF. There was a season when I was in Melbourne when we lost an EF I believe.

TBH I don't give a rats :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

by Yank Man » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:41 pm

The 2005 season reflects again on the failure of Seaton Ramblers in finals. They finished top at the end of the minor round in Div 2 and played Edwardstown in the second semi and lost. They won the Prelim and again met Towns in the GF at Alberton oval. Unfortunately they forgot that they finished on top and had the rights to the home change rooms and wear their green shorts. Both teams wore white shorts and Towns were commanded the home rooms, which are amazing as Port fans would know, Seaton lost. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

by jo172 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Yank Man wrote:The 2005 season reflects again on the failure of Seaton Ramblers in finals. They finished top at the end of the minor round in Div 2 and played Edwardstown in the second semi and lost. They won the Prelim and again met Towns in the GF at Alberton oval. Unfortunately they forgot that they finished on top and had the rights to the home change rooms and wear their green shorts. Both teams wore white shorts and Towns were commanded the home rooms, which are amazing as Port fans would know, Seaton lost. :D

Seaton won a final? Smells fishy
jo172
League - Top 5

by morell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Yank Man wrote:
morell wrote:Also, there is a guaranteed "like" for anyone who can post the champagne glass controversy in all its glory

It's actually because I have a secret crush on them.

Nah, in all honesty its an amazing record, it really is odd how successful CLG are during the year and then than success not flowing on to the finals. Not sure if the recent coaches sacking is because of that or something else, but it seems to pervade all coaches, players and admin of the CLG footy club year after year. Is it their game style? Is it their culture? Is it their mindset?
morell
Coach

by morell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:53 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
morell wrote:Sure, but this isn't the thread to discuss making the finals, its about losing finals you're not supposed to. Of which there are many in CLG's recent history...

TBH I don't give a rats :lol:
I bet you dont! Well done on season 2014! :D
morell
Coach

by Yank Man » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:03 pm

morell wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

It's actually because I have a secret crush on them.

Nah, in all honesty its an amazing record, it really is odd how successful CLG are during the year and then than success not flowing on to the finals. Not sure if the recent coaches sacking is because of that or something else, but it seems to pervade all coaches, players and admin of the CLG footy club year after year. Is it their game style? Is it their culture? Is it their mindset?

Whatever it is the great man in Mathew Dent will fix all their issues. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

by FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14 pm

1992 A6R

CLG 18-0

Knocked us off twice in the minor round 9.5 - 5.2 at our ground then 8.10 - 7.6 at theirs after we gave them a 5 goal start. We played them in the 2nd semi at TTG in appalling raining, wet muddy conditions.

BFC 1.0 3.1 4.1 4.1 (25)
CLG 1.5 2.6 2.8 2.8 (20)

They were not happy in losing their 1st game for the year and let us know about it.

The GF was played at Greek-Camden in windy conditions
They tried to intimidate us by turning up all with their heads shaved and telling us what they were going to do to us.
Well that didn't work as they gave away free kicks all afternoon and had players sent from the ground.

BFC 0.4 2.8 3.9 7.10
CLG 0.2 0.2 3.5 5.6

Gave them their 2nd loss for the season. Then after the game they came and had a drink with us.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League