Gas and Electricity

Anything!

Re: Gas and Electricity

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:16 am

The Ash Man wrote:
GWW wrote:I'm changing address in the next month or so, so am looking into which Electricity provider to go with.

I have already got a quote form Simply Energy, although now I have read the above post, I probably aren't so keen on them :)

Anyone got any more suggestions which company to use?

I'm with Lumo, never had a drama and get 15% off when I pay my bill on time

Ditto and I've got it set up to auto pay on the day so I can get the discount.

No problems with them to date.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 am

Was with lumo and never had a problem. Went through it about a year ago and found power direct to be cheaper. You get no discount but the power gets cheaper the more you use not more expensive as you move through the tiers like the others.
If you are a high consumer of power then power direct is best, low to middle user then you would be better with lumo or origin from my spread sheet (12 months ago).
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby GWW » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks all, for suggestions, I will follow up.

Another one I noticed was Alinta, they seemed to look ok.....anyone had experience with them?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:56 pm

I ran a comparison several months ago (using a recent quarterly bill from Origin as my guide) with several other suppliers based on their published supply charges and rates. I calculated what the same bill would have cost me with each supplier.

There wasn't much in it as those with low rates used a higher fixed supply charge, or placed the rate steps differently.
Several who advertise low rates or discounts actually worked out more expensive and the cheapest was less than $10 saving over a quarter.

However, my rate with Origin is lower than their published rate, as they gave me a better deal when I thought about leaving a couple of years ago.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby dedja » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:21 pm

I think I've already mentioned this earlier but look at the rates themselves, not the 'discounts'.

15% off doesn't mean jack if it's on inflated rates.

Yes, some retailers do this.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:24 pm

dedja wrote:I think I've already mentioned this earlier but look at the rates themselves, not the 'discounts'.

15% off doesn't mean jack if it's on inflated rates.

Yes, some retailers do this.

Yeh, it's a good point Dedja. As far as I'm concerned, it's the most important thing to consider. The discount in this case was good enough to get me over the line.

The only way to get the discount is for the amount to be paid by a certain date, usually a week or so before the due date. Be careful otherwise you pay full tote odds and any discount is gone.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby grant j » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:07 pm

GWW wrote:Thanks all, for suggestions, I will follow up.

Another one I noticed was Alinta, they seemed to look ok.....anyone had experience with them?

I'm with Alinta and never had a problem with them
grant j
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Postby GWW » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:58 am

GWW wrote:Thanks all, for suggestions, I will follow up.

After I wrote this, I realised it was discussed on previous page, oops.

I reckon I will give Alinta a go (have done a little bit of research on-line), or at least will ring them this week to discuss.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Dog_ger » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:01 pm

Dog_ger wrote:I am with origin.

I pay $100 extra each bill.

Gas and Electricity

I have no problems with them.

The $100 is credited to my next bill.

My bills are very low by doing this. :lol:

Times are getting harder guys.

I struggle to do this anymore and only pay the bill...
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:00 am

My solution over the last couple of winters has been to take a contract job somewhere warm - last year Lismore, this year Townsville.
In the hills I don't need cooling much in summer, but in the winter the heating bills can be huge.
(I hit on the going elsewhere to work strategy after getting a $1500.00 bill one winter quarter.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:44 am

The latest from the USA on energy industry moves: https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/utili ... 31741.html

The rise of solar means utilities "have to price [their] products differently," said David Owens, executive vice president of business operations and regulatory policy at Edison Electric Institute, the association of publicly-traded electric companies. "Rooftop solar panels are recognition that technology, public policy and customer preferences are requiring the utilities to look at this differently," Owens said in an interview.

However, he argued that net-metering was creating a classic "free-rider" economic conundrum, where non-rooftop clients are ultimately paying more for electricity than net-metering clients. Certain costs, such as infrastructure and grid usage, are not being captured in what net-metering customers are charged, Owens said.

For that reason, he thinks power companies-as well as other parties-are justified in challenging some of the presumptions behind solar panel use. Consumers "want choice, but we want to make sure customers at the upper-income bracket are not being subsidized by non-rooftop customers," Owens said. "Utilities are not afraid of competition, but if you're using the grid, you need to pay for it."
Psyber
Coach

Previous

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion