The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Everybody knew he was on the recruit. In sure centrals knew this was at least a possibility

My understanding is he wasn't guarenteed to be on the recruit until after Centrals had signed him and in the initial concept when he was told he was involved in the show, the recruit winner was guarenteed a rookie contract on Sydney's list, not potentially a rival clubs list

Believe this is the case. Originally didnt want to be on the Recruit and signed at Centrals.
Even after he made the cut for the top 50 he was still not convinced and Voss had to ring him and convince him he had plenty of talent and could win the comp

That is 100% the case and even if he did go on the recruit worse case was he was to be recruited to Sydney via the show and any of Centrals rival clubs would have had to follow due process.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:22 pm

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Everybody knew he was on the recruit. In sure centrals knew this was at least a possibility

My understanding is he wasn't guarenteed to be on the recruit until after Centrals had signed him and in the initial concept when he was told he was involved in the show, the recruit winner was guarenteed a rookie contract on Sydney's list, not potentially a rival clubs list

Believe this is the case. Originally didnt want to be on the Recruit and signed at Centrals.
Even after he made the cut for the top 50 he was still not convinced and Voss had to ring him and convince him he had plenty of talent and could win the comp

That is 100% the case and even if he did go on the recruit worse case was he was to be recruited to Sydney via the show and any of Centrals rival clubs would have had to follow due process.

So you're pissed 'coz he's gone to Port?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Going to port would have been so far down on everybody's lists though. The fact that you guys bring it up is so silly.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Aerie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 pm

mal wrote:EDITORIAL

What WHUFC is more or less trying to say is :
He accepts the due process of a SANFL player being drafted by an AFL club
He finds it hard to accept this process of losing an SANFL player, speeded up through a TV show

However what WHUFC needs to accept is that the SANFL is not a true competition anymore

whufc, and those longing for a fair SANFL competition, can expect to go through the five stages of grief. If only it was as easy as it was for Homer.

"Hibbert: You can expect to go through five stages. The first is denial.
Homer: No way, because I'm not dying!
Hibbert: Second is anger.
Homer: Why you little... Da-! Guuuuuh! Yaaaaah!
Hibbert: After that, comes fear.
Homer: (paranoid) What's after fear? What's after fear?
Hibbert: Bargaining.
Homer: Doc, you've got to get me out of this. I'll make it worth your while.
Hibbert: And finally, acceptance.
Homer: Well, we've all got to go sometime.
Hibbert: Mr. Simpson, your progress astounds me"
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Even after he made the cut for the top 50 he was still not convinced and Voss had to ring him and convince him he had plenty of talent and could win the comp[/quote]

That is 100% the case and even if he did go on the recruit worse case was he was to be recruited to Sydney via the show and any of Centrals rival clubs would have had to follow due process.[/quote]

So you're pissed 'coz he's gone to Port?[/quote]

Like I was told today at the club. Centrals would not have recruited him if they knew he was going on the show and that the show was giving a rival club a free pass to recruit him when other wise they may not have (is it correct ordinarily he would not have been able to be taken as a category b pick)
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm not angry it just makes me laugh how bad this comp has gotten in the last 5 years

It has gone from being a very strong state league comp to something that has become completely irrelevant in the state and is now getting smashed from all angles.
whufc
Coach

Postby Rising Power » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:11 pm

So do Centrals receive an 'AFL Talent Development Fee' for producing an AFL draftee like what normally happens?
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Rising Power wrote:So do Centrals receive an 'AFL Talent Development Fee' for producing an AFL draftee like what normally happens?

Not sure??

Remember we did have to pay a transfer fee to get him across.

Also what price can u put on the games he played at both levels that could have been filled by a younger player

Also who knows what recruit(s)we may have got instead of johann if we knew of the situation (only the club would no what other players they had lined up)

Like I said I'm glad for Johann and well done to Port on picking up on what I reckon is a good footballer, even well done foxtel on getting good ratings, the only losers here is the SANFL club as per usual
whufc
Coach

Postby Rising Power » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:39 pm

whufc wrote:
Rising Power wrote:So do Centrals receive an 'AFL Talent Development Fee' for producing an AFL draftee like what normally happens?

Not sure??

Remember we did have to pay a transfer fee to get him across.

Also what price can u put on the games he played at both levels that could have been filled by a younger player

Also who knows what recruit(s)we may have got instead of johann if we knew of the situation (only the club would no what other players they had lined up)

Like I said I'm glad for Johann and well done to Port on picking up on what I reckon is a good footballer, even well done foxtel on getting good ratings, the only losers here is the SANFL club as per usual

If he wasn't on the show (or didn't win it) and got drafted anyway, it has the same result.

You could argue that playing guys like Brent Guerra, Jack Gunston, Michael Stevens and Jon Griffin in Centrals premierships were keeping young home grown players out of the side too. What price do you put on that?
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:09 pm

bennymacca wrote:They knew he was a possibility to get on an afl list. Does that mean they didn't do the due diligence? Should they never recruit someone that has a chance at afl?

You guys honestly need your heads read.

You guys?
Of course, one person has that opinion, so all do...
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mal » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Dear MOSTly Port Reserves and Adelaide Reserves suPORTers

WHUFC is concerned about the welfare of his SANFL team Central Districts

Adelaide Reserves and Port Reserves barrackers :
This will never happen , but for discussion purposes :
When Australia Rules Football is played globally in about 411 years time the same will happen back to you
Port Power and Adelaide Crows players will be recruited to play for America
America will have their B grade team play in the AFL

And then someone will start a NO American Football league in the Australian Football league whinge thread !

Get your heads out of the sand and respect WHUFC and others who hate seeing the SANFL being decimated.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:59 pm

mal wrote:Dear MOSTly Port Reserves and Adelaide Reserves suPORTers

When Australia Rules Football is played globally in about 411 years time the same will happen back to you

And then someone will start a NO American Football league in the Australian Football league whinge thread !

Get your heads out of the sand and respect WHUFC and others who hate seeing the SANFL being decimated.

What a load of bollocks mal.

The world will be invaded by aliens before then, who ( having all taken on the appearance of Jennifer Hawkins and who procreate on their own ) will take AFL to the outer reaches of the galaxy and each solar system will only be able to recruit players from within. I don't know what you're dreaming about. Sheesh...
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:01 pm

One positive is Centrals may have made history!

The first club in world wide sporting history to lose a player to a rival team in the same competition via a television show!

Happy days! History makers 2014
whufc
Coach

Postby Rising Power » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Wow, Tasman did pretty well out Wagner winning the comp - nothing about Centrals!
http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2692/
"Preparing to win their third premiership in succession on Saturday, Tasman was handed a $25,000 cash injection as reward for producing Wagner."

Headlines in the Advertiser in the year 2425: "Port Adelaide accepts invitation to join Global Australian Rules Football League: Collingwood claim 'treachery', seek injunction from International Court of Justice!" LOL
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby Rising Power » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:06 pm

whufc wrote:One positive is Centrals may have made history!

The first club in world wide sporting history to lose a player to a rival team in the same competition via a television show!

Already happened mate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Superstar

Didn't see the 'same competition' bit, my bad. Who knows, maybe he'll get elevated and play AFL all year :D
Last edited by Rising Power on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Rising Power wrote:Wow, Tasman did pretty well out Wagner winning the comp - nothing about Centrals!
http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2692/
"Preparing to win their third premiership in succession on Saturday, Tasman was handed a $25,000 cash injection as reward for producing Wagner."

Headlines in the Advertiser in the year 2425: "Port Adelaide accepts invitation to join Global Australian Rules Football League: Collingwood claim 'treachery', seek injunction from International Court of Justice!" LOL

Yep confirms why I'm slightly dissapointed from a Central fans point of view in this outcome
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Rising Power wrote:
whufc wrote:One positive is Centrals may have made history!

Already happened mate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Superstar

Didn't see the 'same competition' bit, my bad. Who knows, maybe he'll get elevated and play AFL all year :D

Yep football superstar was only state league players not blokes on lists from the a-league
whufc
Coach

Postby mal » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Booney wrote:
mal wrote:Dear MOSTly Port Reserves and Adelaide Reserves suPORTers

What a load of bollocks mal.

The world will be invaded by aliens before then, who ( having all taken on the appearance of Jennifer Hawkins and who procreate on their own ) will take AFL to the outer reaches of the galaxy and each solar system will only be able to recruit players from within. I don't know what you're dreaming about. Sheesh...

It would be interesting if Mars played Uranus
The blood rule would have to be enforced so they dont catch Earth AIDS
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Dear
Booney
Rising Power
Bennymacca
Matt35
And other Port Reserves and Adelaide Reserves supPORTers

Did you like the SANFL comp better in :
?????

Would be very interested in the choice and the reasons
mal
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:59 pm

I think the real issue is that prior to this year, SANFL players drafted by Port or Adelaide would either play in the AFL or play in the SANFL with their original club. There wasn't a situation where draftees would play against their original club.

It's not about players getting drafted, or inhibiting their progress to the AFL. I suspect what many SANFL fans, and possibly SANFL clubs, find galling is that they may have a player develop through the ranks only to be drafted by Port or Adelaide and end up playing against them for the AFL Reserve side.

Port and Crows fans won't understand what the problem is with this as they don't experience the draft process. Any other player movements, either in the SANFL or AFl are via transfers and trades, and are usually accepted as being in the best interests of both club and / or player.

I think Mal's concept of a Global AFL was his way of trying to illustrate how unfair Port would view it if a other club could draft one of their players who then played against them and they were powerless (no pun intended) to do anything about it. (Apologies Mal if I appear to be speaking for you)

Personally, I've never understood the idea of "drafting" players, an American concept adopted by the AFL and I'm not sure it is the best fit for Australian Rules Football with the structure in place. State leagues such as the SANFL, WAFL and, at one time, the VFL are not college football leagues. They are a whole level above that and to treat them as though they are just college football leagues is an insult to every club in those leagues. Still that is another issue altogether.

Maybe as a compromise, whilst we have the AFL Reserves in the SANFL, players drafted by either Port or Adelaide aren't allowed to play against their original SANFL club. So in this instance whilst Wagner plays for Port, he can't play for Port Reserves against Centrals. If he was in the Reserves for that particular week, then he would have to sit the game out.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL