2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Postby dedja » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Someone even kicked it out on the full rather than passing it to him on the wing.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby RB » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:25 pm

RB wrote:J. Butcher 6 kicks 2 handballs 1 tackle 0 goals 1 behind

And 6 marks. Somehow left that out.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby LPH » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:27 pm

mal wrote:This for Dedja !
The irony of Port Power this weekend was in both games there was only a kickinit ....

Port Reserves , beaten but not disgraced today to be 5 goals down and almost win was a very good effort

The silence is deafening...
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby RB » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:31 pm

What's the atmosphere like down at the Norwood clubrooms?
RB
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:32 pm

RB wrote:What's the atmosphere like down at the Norwood clubrooms?

About the same as Oval Avenue id imagine
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby dedja » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:33 pm

:lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:34 pm

prowling panther wrote:Loosers in AFL Preliminary Final
Loosers in SANFL Grand Final
Thats the Port Adelaide Tradition

Power As and Reserves both torn apart... ;)
(Well only a little bit I concede.)
Last edited by Psyber on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby RB » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Jim05 wrote:
RB wrote:What's the atmosphere like down at the Norwood clubrooms?

About the same as Oval Avenue id imagine

Really? The seconds won the flag and are in high spirits ATM! :lol:
RB
Coach

Postby dedja » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Ummm, no ...

dedja
Coach

Postby Mic » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:54 pm

We exist to give our AFL-listed players a run.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Mic wrote:We exist to give our AFL-listed players a run.

Exactly, why would Bruggerman hang around at a club that drops him after playing every game for a spud that is about to be delisted. Would be seriously thinking about heading back to Mallala id imagine
Jim05
Coach

Postby RB » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:07 pm

dedja wrote:Ummm, no ...

It's bad if there's enough doubt that they actually have to declare it on the banner, 5 minutes before the game.
RB
Coach

Postby csbowes » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:15 pm

My first post for the season...

Congratulations to Norwood... having watched the match on TV, I feel that they were the only team in the league with the poise and the coolness under pressure to be able to withstand an AFL reserves team in the Grand Final.

I've been sitting back watching the season unfold, watching the banter here on SA Footy rather than taking part in it, reading each sides views on how the league is this year, was it a disaster, was it the adrenilin shot the league needed, where to from here...

My opinion...

The Grand Final was the result the SANFL needed. They will be able to point to it and say with confidence that if you have a well drilled, well trained SANFL team, then you are quite capable of putting an AFL reserves team to the sword. It pains me to say that because had it been a Power white wash, then the SANFL would probably rethink what they've done, but with Norwood getting up in a thriller, I think we all have to sit back and say, well you know what, Central of old probably would have beaten them too... and probably comfortably.

So what does that mean?

To me it means if your a top three side, a really good SANFL side without too many failings, then you're a good chance to beat an AFL reserves team, as Port fielded a full strength side today and couldn't beat Norwood.

Chances are that's about as good as a Power or Crows team will get, which means we have to accept the fact that if South Adelaide and Sturt and Torrens can improve a few goals next year, then they too should beat the Power and Crows.

Crowds...

Heaps of doomsdayers (which I'm one) said crowds would be crap. I specifically said watch the 2nd and 3rd years, not this year. But that said, crowds this year weren't really all that much worse than the last ten years from what I can tell. The AFL sides haven't helped one bit, bottom line is enough SANFL fans turned up to keep the average crowd numbers around the mark. The GF crowd of 38K or 32K if you're a conspiracy theorist is still a good crowd for a SANFL GF. Expecting more than that is heart over head...

As it was, they were a mere 5% away from 40,000, which would have been amazing... 11K at the WAFL one, that tells you something. I applaud those who tried to say crowds were a disaster, but I just don't buy it, even though I'd like to.

Membership. Club memberships are down. The clubs made a stupid decision against the will of their fanbase. Will they pay for it? I think they will, a fresh round of massive losses this year will show nothing has improved in that area.

To think some had the gaul to write to members and non-members asking for money after summarily dismissing their views a few months before, just incredible arrogance on their part and shows how out of touch they are and how condescending they can be.

AFL teams brought almost nobody extra to games...

AFL teams brought nearly no extra money to the clubs...

AFL teams brought no extra excitement to the games...

TV coverage was marginally better, if at all, Grand Final publicity was good on TV and radio, but that's the only area of improvement...

Written coverage was no better... in fact at times it was insulting...

AFL teams made no effort to promote the local league and in fact officials made statements that lowered its prestige... good onya...

One plus was the AFL media continually said "how great the SANFL is this year", too bad they didn't show that support in other years, its amazing how positive reinforcement can improve performance and result in more positive reinforcement. The AFL media left the league to die and now with some AFL teams involved, all of a sudden its a great league.

The nerve.

On here... this forum was rubbish the whole year, everyone was whinging and arguing all year and not about the games... I understand why and don't blame anyone, but it says something, it shows how ticked off people were and how uninterested a lot of us were with the games. I went to about 5-6 games this year, down from about 16-18. There were games where almost no one commented about the games. Live scores was p*** poor, again, no ones fault, just a result of people's lack of interest in the season.

The SANFL is hoping all of us diehards will be replaced by a new brand of AFLites who will watch the local game for a bit of a laugh... like I take an interest in Halifax Town in England, even though I follow Manchester United.

Will that work... I don't think so...

Overall, I'd say the season was a success for the SANFL, but not a success for me. I was more interested in the AFL and that says something considering I watch about 2-3 games a year during the minor round and that's it.

So are the AFL supporters right? For the moment, yes, but its 1/4 time, lets wait to half time which is GF day next year and check the scoreboard.

Are the anti-AFLers right? Not yet, but I think they will be.

My final thought for the season... commiserations to South Adelaide, deserved their day in the sun today.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby Rising Power » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Good game.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby spell_check » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Exactly, why would Bruggerman hang around at a club that drops him after playing every game for a spud that is about to be delisted. Would be seriously thinking about heading back to Mallala id imagine

I don't know if he will want to or not, but we'll give him a second chance!
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby dedja » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Jim05 wrote:

KMac on Butcher ... the biggest mis-match I have ever witnessed in an SANFL Grand Final.

I think KMac is still pissing himself.
dedja
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:38 pm

dedja wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

KMac on Butcher ... the biggest mis-match I have ever witnessed in an SANFL Grand Final.

I think KMac is still pissing himself.

Yep if that was his final game in the SANFL he couldnt of asked for an easier ride
Jim05
Coach

Postby dedja » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:38 pm

We agree Choco ... twice in 24 hours

dedja
Coach

Postby heater31 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Did his shoulder come up from the week before v South. Ended the game with it strapped which wasn't there at the start of the game....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Cause he may be rookie listed by the Power for next year?
Last edited by Ye Olde Place Kick on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL