SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby Apachebulldog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:34 am

Aerie wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australian_National_Football_League

Total minor round crowd this year of 252,947 the 2nd lowest in the last 12 years. Only last year was lower.

Games Involving SANFL Clubs only in 2014 averaged 2588 per game.

In last 12 years, previous lowest average per game was 2624 in 2013 and highest in last 12 years was 3235 per game in 2011.

Average crowd per game with AFL involved teams was 3177. Overall 2810 per game.

There was a significant dip in 2012 when ticket prices were raised to $14 and every AFL game was shown live on Foxtel for the first time. A dip again in 2013 with the AFL Reserves debate in full swing. With commercial coverage and AFL sides in the competition, there is less attendance again in 2014 for games not involving AFL Reserves. There are 650 people per game who were attending in 2011 not attending now to support their SANFL club, unless an AFL team is involved.

In summary, the interest in the 8 SANFL clubs is at an all time low. The interest in the SANFL competition is about the same, thanks to the AFL Reserves teams.

I expect the SANFL finals to be well attended for the same reason the Power and Crows are getting good crowds this season - Adelaide Oval.

The SANFL clubs, and therefore competition, are becoming more reliant on the AFL than ever before. It would appear this is more by design than
fate.

After in depth analysis using an abacus slide rule and reading the bones the Apache has come up with these average crowd stats for 2014 minor round attendances for the Crows.

As quoted 252,947 fans attended the minor round.

Divide that number by the 10 clubs which rounded off you get an average of 25,300 per club.

So over 18 rounds rounded off the average per game is 1,400 per club.

However for the Crows minus the 4,000 free loaders.

Therefore by this calculation there was shortfall of minus 2,600 Crows fans

So what happened ????

Are my calculations skewed or have i MANIPULATED the stats ?????

LOL LOL LOL !
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby LPH » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:48 pm

No, no, no. That's not what they said.
Never did they say 4000 EXTRA fans every week, what they said was 4000 in total @ each game :roll:
Had they performed better on field, that would've happened & besides, they got over 10K & 6K to 2 games.
Only positives out of the addition of Reserves Teams, no negatives.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Tech1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:04 pm

Would it be impossible to have the season start later next year back to what it was or even have it finish a couple of weeks later? Maybe you could bring back a pre season comp make the season go longer? That way the AFL reserves senior teams could be finished, we would have all the media attention, better weather (not that it hasn't been perfect for the finals this year though), plenty of positives. Only thing may be having Adelaide Oval available ? Just a thought if they wanted to maximize media, crowds, etc.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby whufc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Tech1 wrote:Would it be impossible to have the season start later next year back to what it was or even have it finish a couple of weeks later? Maybe you could bring back a pre season comp make the season go longer? That way the AFL reserves senior teams could be finished, we would have all the media attention, better weather (not that it hasn't been perfect for the finals this year though), plenty of positives. Only thing may be having Adelaide Oval available ? Just a thought if they wanted to maximize media, crowds, etc.

No

The AFL reserves need their players playing from when round 1 of the AFL starts
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby spell_check » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:01 pm

whufc wrote:
Tech1 wrote:Would it be impossible to have the season start later next year back to what it was or even have it finish a couple of weeks later? Maybe you could bring back a pre season comp make the season go longer? That way the AFL reserves senior teams could be finished, we would have all the media attention, better weather (not that it hasn't been perfect for the finals this year though), plenty of positives. Only thing may be having Adelaide Oval available ? Just a thought if they wanted to maximize media, crowds, etc.

No

And they won't play 22 rounds either; such as 1974; 1977-1989.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Tech1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:54 pm

whufc wrote:

No

Yeah, that's why i mentioned the pre season comp, have that go for a month or something to keep the reserves teams happy before our season starts, never going to happen but would be good if it did, crowds would be a lot bigger even near the end of the minor round too.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby LPH » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:42 pm

38k+ is a very good Crowd.
SANFL would be very happy with that, one would think?
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:04 pm

LPH wrote:38k+ is a very good Crowd.

Excellant crowd but im skeptical in the figures. Just didnt seem like it was anywhere near that. Been to the AFL there with 48,000 and couldnt move, today there was no lineups and the Riverbank stand wasnt even half full. A few people around me all thought maybe 30-32k.
Still a good turnout, never been to a GF where one team has 90% support, the roar at the final siren was amazing
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby tipper » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:37 pm

while its good, i would have thought it should be better.

arguably the biggest "traditional" rivalry in the state (or at least that was how it was marketed...)
the "one club" were all behind it
moved to adelaide oval because "no one liked going to footy park"...

negatives: not a standalone game after the afl season is finished.

i would think that the sanfl would be slightly disappointed by the number. hopefully enough to move it back to october where it should be. if the afl reserves sides dont like it, too bad. if they want to play in our league, they should play by our rules, not expect the league to change the rules to suit them.

(not that i think they will actually do it, but let me have my dream)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Special One » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:21 am

I think you play the same game 2 weeks later, crowd would be 40k to 45k. A lot country grand finals yesterday and afl prelim would have affected attendance numbers
Special One
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:33 am

A lot of "freebies" but there are most years
Just got home - Go Legs
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby SimonH » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:53 pm

tipper wrote:

arguably the biggest "traditional" rivalry in the state (or at least that was how it was marketed...)

i would think that the sanfl would be slightly disappointed by the number. hopefully enough to move it back to october where it should be. if the afl reserves sides dont like it, too bad. if they want to play in our league, they should play by our rules, not expect the league to change the rules to suit them.

Well said. Also, to have it on a Sunday on a non-long weekend, completely **** it up for interstaters flying back for the game (and there might be only 500 or so of them on average, but it all counts), not to mention country people driving down. Although the bigger killer for this one is that Port estimated that up to 10,000 fans went over to Melbourne for the Hawks game; a very substantial number of them were still in Melbourne (or were in transit, for those who drove) at the opening bounce of the SANFL grannie. Cut out the competition with the AFL game and this game would have drawn well over 40,000.

The AFL-reserves promoters have always said 'this arrangement suits the development of the AFL clubs' young players better'. While that's no basis for screwing around a whole competition, I doubt if it even achieves that. Mitch Grigg 2013: played in a premiership-winning team in the first weekend of October, topping off a strong season when he played a lot of good footy. 2014: his last game for the year was less than half an AFL game played in mid-August, ending early a frustrating season where he couldn't really get momentum at either level.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:39 pm

tipper wrote:

Agree that it should be when it should be when we traditionally play it, not just for a handful of players who have legitimate AFL claims on two out of ten teams.
I was wrong in expecting only about 30k, so the SANFL will see it as a success and keep it on this weekend, although didn't look like quite 38k there, was a few spare areas.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby prowling panther » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:35 pm

whufc wrote:

No

Surely the Crows and Power reserves could play amongst themselves until our comp is ready to start, of course dont give them any points for winning or loosing
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby matt35 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:19 pm

Of course there were some spare spots at AO with 38k, there've been crowds of 52k plus at AFL games. My girlfriend and I went to the Port Freo game with a crowd in the high 30s and she thought it was similar to that before we knew the official number. Very good crowd, very good tv ratings, the SANFL will be more than happy and they should be.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:46 pm

matt35 wrote:Of course there were some spare spots at AO with 38k, there've been crowds of 52k plus at AFL games. My girlfriend and I went to the Port Freo game with a crowd in the high 30s and she thought it was similar to that before we knew the official number. Very good crowd, very good tv ratings, the SANFL will be more than happy and they should be.

Just looked more than 14,000 empty seats.
Half the Riverbank stand was empty and the top tiers of the other stands were sparcely populated also plenty of room to walk freely around the hill. I honestly thought around the 32k mark. Either way was a decent crowd but I would of expected similar if it was Norwood v South as I reckon 30,000 plus were supporting Norwood. Very small Port turn out
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:
matt35 wrote:Of course there were some spare spots at AO with 38k, there've been crowds of 52k plus at AFL games. My girlfriend and I went to the Port Freo game with a crowd in the high 30s and she thought it was similar to that before we knew the official number. Very good crowd, very good tv ratings, the SANFL will be more than happy and they should be.

Half the Riverbank stand was empty and the top tiers of the other stands were sparcely populated also plenty of room to walk freely around the hill. I honestly thought around the 32k mark. Either way was a decent crowd but I would of expected similar if it was Norwood v South as I reckon 30,000 plus were supporting Norwood. Very small Port turn out

Nearly 39,000 and a great game. Definitely more Norwood supporters than Port but still a lot of Port people there. There was no spare seats in the bottom tear. It was a great day as i predicted and left the profits of doom without to much to whinge about.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:37 am

In some sports they count every season ticket holder who has a right to a seat as having attended even though they don't go near the stadium. That way they have higher attendance to attract sponsors.

But the SANFL wouldn't do anything like that would they?
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:56 am

wristwatcher wrote: The profits of doom

SANFL clubs choosing $$$$ to embrace national league clubs - sounds about right.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:27 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Nearly 39,000 and a great game. Definitely more Norwood supporters than Port but still a lot of Port people there. There was no spare seats in the bottom tear. It was a great day as i predicted and left the profits of doom without to much to whinge about.

You think the "profits of doom" are whinging about one fricken game.

You have NFI. Let's see how many of those 39,000 turn up in the middle of July.
This year's league attendances have had the 2nd lowest in 10 years. And that's including the novelty factor or maybe it should be termed the 'macabre curiosity' factor.

I'm sure the SANFL will be overjoyed at the 39k turn out, with the first GF at AO, supposedly biggest rivalry in the state, blardy blardy. Do you think the SANFL will survive on that one game a year??
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL