HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby chopper7 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:35 pm

R. White wrote:Amen bookie. Libertel have done nothing since the late 90's! Can't comment on the Echunga juniors but lofty had to fight tooth an nail to keep juniors t the club and it has paid dividends. The bottom line is Echunga should be in central and the lower grades (both b grade and juniors) will continue to improve the infer they stay up. I have a close source at Echunga, yes they pay money, but no more than any other club! Any idiot that comments on money has no idea. The majority of clubs spend similar amounts. It's how you spend that cash that counts. Mt lofty did it well, uraidla have done it better than anyone and it seems Echunga have done well too! Maybe yellow and black you should have a look at how Loby spend their money, there are handful of players there that are not playing for peanuts!

Well R.White, care to name the handful playing for just the money at Lobethal? Think you would be surprised at how little the Tigers pay.

The relagation will end up going to a vote, and I know Echunga have already approached clubs to vote for them to stay up for next year. Well done to them on yesterday, but why would any other club in central vote to keep the premiers up next year... It's one less challenger for the flag!
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:20 pm

Sorry to come in half way through a conversation but I'm not following this story.

How does a team win a flag and get relegated?

Feel free to PM me :D
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby saintal » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:54 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Sorry to come in half way through a conversation but I'm not following this story.

Across the season you get 10 points for an A grade win, 5 for Bs, 3 (or 2?) for Juniors etc. The club with the lowest tally is relegated should a Div 2 club wish to come up.

Echunga finished the A grade minor round in 4th, before storming through the finals. Their B grade were winless, and juniors only won a handful of games.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:00 pm

There is no reason for Echunga to go down, there is nothing in the rules that says the relegation points system is limited to minor round games.
The rule was obviously written with little thought and minimal analysis into what potential outcomes could prevail, it certainly never took into account a team that was a candidate for relegation making the finals.

By winning the Premiership, Echunga have done the ultimate to save themselves, they have created the perfect storm for the HFL. If they force Echunga into relegation, broad spread ridicule will result. Also, if the HFL force Echunga to go down (even though no court in the land would agree if Echunga took that path), then the Country Division rightfully becomes Division 1 as the best team in the HFL resides within it, the Central Division effectively becomes irrelevant.

As a result, Echunga will not go down, however the resulting decision on the structure of the league will have long ranging consequences.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Legs Man » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:38 pm

saintal wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Sorry to come in half way through a conversation but I'm not following this story.

Across the season you get 10 points for an A grade win, 5 for Bs, 3 (or 2?) for Juniors etc. The club with the lowest tally is relegated should a Div 2 club wish to come up.

Echunga finished the A grade minor round in 4th, before storming through the finals. Their B grade were winless, and juniors only won a handful of games.

The points must be accrued across the season - so when does a season become complete prior the GF?
In short - it doesn't!
If the HFL is prepared to dig their heels in on this they are only showing their disrespect for the competition they oversee.
After getting to this point I have no doubt that Echunga will provide a very strong case to remain in the competition they have just won.
Back to back country and central flags is historical within this league and deserves the recognition by the HFL and the football fraternity as a whole.
Surely the officiating body doesn't want this headache after the great season in Central this year.

Next year they might even play a final at Echunga.....
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby On The Chest » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 am

On The Chest wrote:Would be good to see Echunga win. Anything can happen in finals. Although, if they do win I'm predicting we will have a summer of comments about relegation and promotion again.Mt. Lofty got relegated and wins the country GF. Echunga got promoted and win the central GF and then get relegated again. Oh well.
Good luck to all teams playing today.

Well, I'm glad I got one prediction right this year. Didn't take long at all.
On The Chest
Under 16s

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby flyinghigh12 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

If the points system carries on until the GF (end of season) like some are predicting, who is then in line for relegation as that would rule Echunga out.....
flyinghigh12
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby saintal » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 am

flyinghigh12 wrote:If the points system carries on until the GF (end of season) like some are predicting, who is then in line for relegation as that would rule Echunga out.....

Bridgewater.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Justquietly » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:59 am

Congrats to Echunga, that's a massive effort.
I disagree with LGIL re "there is no reason for Echunga to go down", if a 'season' is classed as minor rounds then that'll be the reason. Do I think that's fair? Not in this case. But one argument would be that the 'relegation' side of things is based on a CLUB'S performance, where in this case prior to finals, Echunga was bottom. I DO however think that you have a good point re the meaning of 'season', finals could very well be counted as those that are there earned the right.
Basically, surely, it'll simply come down to 'what's a season'? If it's finals inclusive, is there anyone on here from Bridgey that can tell us what they'll do if they're the ones in the gun?
Lega Man: if you guys go to Country (I HIGHLY doubt it) do youy think you'll retain your A graders or is it too much of a kick in the guts?
Chuck Norris makes onions cry
Justquietly
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby Legs Man » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:35 am

Talking to the players on Sat night they certainly seemed keen to play another year in Central and consolidate our position as a club.
The thought of relegation was the last thing they were contemplating as it seemed they had now done the job to ensure we aren't.
There was such a driven mentality among this group to ensure we dispelled any thoughts that a Country side isn't capable of succeeding in the Central div.
Given the appropriate time to plan for next year we should improve across all grades - so lets hope this isn't another drawn out saga.
Now the season is complete it is in the league's and clubs best interests to sort it out as a matter of urgency - not to prolong it again.
They must take a decisive stance and immediately put the wheels in motion to ensure clubs aren't left in limbo as occurred last season.
If anything we can thank the HFL in part and the naysayers as they put our backs against the wall which made this special group even hungrier.
Talk about giving a team motivation ammunition...
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby overthehill » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:36 pm

Does anybody really care if there is a bye next year? just form an 11 team comp
overthehill
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby flyinghigh12 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Didn't Torrens Valley finish below Bridgewater on the relegation points?
flyinghigh12
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Legs Man » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:50 pm

TV won a B grade final - so if the HFL is true to their constitution - which states points are earned per match won (with no definition of minor/major round games) then Bridgey is now in the gun.

I hear that Nairne are also keen to play in Central and will put a case forward for a 12 team comp.
11 teams is my bet though.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Legs Man wrote:After today's story in the Sunday Mail the football public are now aware of the HFL debacle.
Will be interesting times ahead.

That article came about because of the debate on here.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby StickyFingers » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Sorry Legs Man, Echunga are in the relegation hot seat – as was written in the Final Siren two weeks ago. Just because you keep saying otherwise doesn’t make it so.
The finals don’t count for points and everyone has always understood this… hence why Echunga stacked their B Grade with A graders against Bridgewater late in the year, because it was seen as a critical game (even though Echunga was going to be playing A grade finals). Echunga understood at that point that finals were not worth points.

Anyway, what is the point of sending a Central Div team down to dominate in the country division??? As proven by Mt Lofty this season, a well-rounded central club will dominate in every grade… how does that benefit anyone?
Bring Mt Lofty back into Div 1 (and maybe Nairne?) and have an 11 or 12 team Central Division. This leaves a Country Division that is not dominated by one club.
StickyFingers

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Legs Man » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:46 pm

StickyFingers wrote:Sorry Legs Man, Echunga are in the relegation hot seat – as was written in the Final Siren two weeks ago. Just because you keep saying otherwise doesn’t make it so.
The finals don’t count for points and everyone has always understood this… hence why Echunga stacked their B Grade with A graders against Bridgewater late in the year, because it was seen as a critical game (even though Echunga was going to be playing A grade finals). Echunga understood at that point that finals were not worth points.

Anyway, what is the point of sending a Central Div team down to dominate in the country division??? As proven by Mt Lofty this season, a well-rounded central club will dominate in every grade… how does that benefit anyone?
Bring Mt Lofty back into Div 1 (and maybe Nairne?) and have an 11 or 12 team Central Division. This leaves a Country Division that is not dominated by one club.

I believe it was only brought to Echunga's attention that the constitution had the wording it did quite recently - which has now opened up the points situation and gaining them during finals.
Apparently legal opinion is showing that Echunga has a good case with respect to this - and if it is maintained as a 10 team comp - it will be to the detriment of Bridgey.
If i was Bridgey - it would be a case of pushing hard for an expanded Central div.
Surely the league would have had the constitution run past their lawyers and know that it is flawed and loosely worded regarding points allocation - and whether they are valid during the major round - prior putting their position in writing within the Budget.
One of the HFL Directors is the editor - isn't he?

As previously stated by many on here it seems that an expanded comp is the likely outcome - and the quicker this decision is made the better for all concerned.
Clubs should not have to wait again for an outcome and this is something the league should be addressing immediately.
If it takes a special meeting this should already be in train.
Does anyone know if the HFL has started the process - or given any timelines?
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Legs Man wrote:After today's story in the Sunday Mail the football public are now aware of the HFL debacle.

I haven't seen it & cant find any adelaidenow links. What was the gist of it.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Bluedemon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:28 pm

i think this is just a stupid system that the HFL have, the promotion relegation should be the same that is in the SAAFL where by the teams that make the Grand Final in Country division go up and the last 2 teams in the Central division drop.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Legs Man » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:38 pm

cracka wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I haven't seen it & cant find any adelaidenow links. What was the gist of it.

Reckon it was about page 51 in Sport.
Simply an article on the current situation and the possibility of a Grand Finalist being relegated.
Seems it is now at the stage of being newsworthy to the general public also.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby has been » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:31 pm

Legs man absolutely love your passion for your club but even your president the honorable Mr Pocock has agreed with the HFL president that at the start of the year EVERY club supported the by laws that have put Echunga in this situation. The season is the 18 Home and away games and the fact it does not state that means nothing in your grasping at straws scenario re finals being included to accumulate points. The reason the HFL adopts this rule is to try to stop exactly what has happened this year. It is as proven easy to buy a flag as you guys did. There will be only one team that goes down if that happens and that is Echunga. Most clubs will vote as per the by law. I know for a fact Nairne are not ready next year to come up so that will be 2016 and by then 1 or 2 mergers will have happened. That is why it makes sense next year for the 11 team central playing 20 minor round games with no spare weekends and then everybody plays everyone twice and the season is the same length and everyone gets 2 weeks off. - really simple and I think you will find that is what happens. Good for all.
has been
Rookie

Been liked: 7 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy