2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:12 am

Congratulations to Norwood, were too good on the day and in the finals series.

McGuinness and Bode were excellent across half back, although Port played into their hands for much of the second half with long kicks to 2 on three or 3 on four or in some instances one on four contests.

Baulderstone the best of the big men, he and Dawe beat Harvey comfortably, but Harvey could hold his head high, he battled his guts out all day.

Lewi Stevenson, Krakouer and the skipper Summerton did what they could to keep Port in it, but too many Port players had too little influence on the outcome.

Clearly the best man on the ground was Matt Panos, his clearance work around the middle of the ground during the first half set the game up for Norwood and in the final quarter he got some very important touches when it mattered most. Deserving medal winner.

So, 38,000 to the game and it seems many doomsdayers were also in attendance, good on you for all showing up. From what I saw on the road back from Melbourne on Sunday many Port people did as I did, got away early and back for the match at Adelaide Oval. ( Well, got there just before 1/4 time anyway ) Plenty on people were still getting tickets at or on 1/4 time.

In the end 2014 was a battle of the best defence against the best attack and as many astute judges say, premierships are built from the back half. Norwood also showed that process and structure are more important than personnel. People come and go, but if a sound structure and belief among the playing group that the structure will work exists, success will come.

Norwoods biggest test, however, comes with the loss of McGuinness. He's been the premier elder statesman in the back half for years in the SANFL, the 'Legs will struggle to replace him.

Well done to all that jumped on the bandwagon yesterday, it was certainly full to the brim!!

Congratulations Norwood. Back to back to back is a great feeling, I've been lucky enough to witness it twice in my lifetime.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:41 am

Unfortunately for you Boon I think the Port players also didnt get there until 1/4 Time
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:44 am

Jim05 wrote:Unfortunately for you Boon I think the Port players also didnt get there until 1/4 Time

I listened in coming down the freeway and yes, it seems they took a while to get going. In that time Phillips had been clinical and put just enough on the scoreboard to make the catch up very difficult.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby wild dog » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:53 am

Congratulations to Norwood.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby wildcat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:02 am

A victory for commonsense & all that is right.
Don't worry about 3 Whiskeys, 2 Bourbons & 1 Beer. Ports new club song is 2 teams, 1 Club & 0 cups!!! lol
wildcat
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby wildcat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:04 am

dedja wrote:Recently dead set broke, struggled to make the finals in recent years, get gifted an AFL laden side with full time professionals, $9.3M salary cap, $40M+ revenue with sponsorship dollars galore and AFL facilities ... and still couldn't beat a true SANFL club on a sub $400K salary cap, part time players, barely $2-3M revenue, and no clubrooms.

We are Port Adelaide my arse, you are cheating scabs, and you still couldn't do the job.

Congratulations Norwood Football Club, Premiers 2014.

MONSFAW

What he said :twisted:
wildcat
Rookie

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:06 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Unfortunately for you Boon I think the Port players also didnt get there until 1/4 Time

I listened in coming down the freeway and yes, it seems they took a while to get going. In that time Phillips had been clinical and put just enough on the scoreboard to make the catch up very difficult.

Must admit It was strange to watch, expected Port to have a real dip early but they came out very timid. They refused to chase and man up early and seemed content to let us chip it around at will. Reckon it was about 16 marks to 1 or 2 at one stage. And when Port did get the ball they were gang tackled by 3-4 opponents, pressure by Norwood was ferocious and led to many turnovers. Could sense Port getting back into it with about 5 minutes to go and they looked mighty impressive in the second quarter with their run and carry, we wasted a few that quarter aswell. From halftime onwards it was a bit of a goal for goal arm wrestle. Amazing effort to hold on, for all the talk of Port's superior fitness they came home with the breeze and we were stuck with stuff all rotations due to injuries in the last 10 minutes but somehow dug deep. Disappointing that after doing a fairly good job for the majority of the game the umps decide to umpire completely differant in the last 10 minutes and made a stack of absolute howlers. Can assure you we were all fairly nervous with that last bomb into your forward 50 as the other quarters had gone to 30 minutes and I had no idea of the time left and with 25 minutes on the clock still thought there was a minute or two remaining. Was good to see Jimmy complete his trophy cabinet but sad in a way to think its probably the end of K-Mac and maybe Doc and Bodey.
Probably lose another few to the AFL but got some good youth coming through and with no recruiting restrictions hopefully we can snare another couple of quality players and go for 4 in a row
Jim05
Coach

Postby kickinit » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:14 am

Well done norwood, another great year. To all the haters don't worry we will be back in 2015 to make you cry again.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby wildcat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:30 am

kickinit wrote:Well done norwood, another great year. To all the haters don't worry we will be back in 2015 to make you cry again.

Who's crying? We're all laughing here at Norwood :twisted:
wildcat
Rookie

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:31 am

kickinit wrote:Well done norwood, another great year. To all the haters don't worry we will be back in 2015 to make you cry again.

Again? :D

We'll play you in Grand Finals anytime you like.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:33 am

Butcher getting $20k plus for yesterday as opposed to our guys getting as little as $300 is the only thing that makes me cry
Jim05
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:36 am

Jim05 wrote:

Butcher getting $20k plus for yesterday as opposed to our guys getting as little as $300 is the only thing that makes me cry

Insanity.

Kmac playing on him was almost cruel.

Almost.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby kickinit » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:38 am

topsywaldron wrote:

I suppose you can't cry again when you haven't stopped. You've been one of the biggest cry babies on since the rules changed.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:49 am

kickinit wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:

I suppose you can't cry again when you haven't stopped. You've been one of the biggest cry babies on since the rules changed.

Whatever gets you through the night loser.

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby Psyber » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:51 am

dedja wrote:Bitter?

No, pissed off that I had to barrack for Norwood today because of you pricks ... but it was worth it for a day. 8)

Praise the Lord that you have been blessed - even if unwillingly!
But joy that you have joined the fight against the dark and evil forces of the AFL infiltration and desecration of real football.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby JK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:51 am

For all the reserves debate, it certainly felt like a Norwood v Port Grand Final to me yesterday. Two proud clubs that desperately wanted to win and gave their all. Thought we were gone at halftime and would be overrun by Port's superior fitness, but we've developed such a strong bond and belief among the players in recent years, that they can will themselves to the line. Port were super brave (as were we), and I feel for their players especially a class act like Summerton who was clearly gutted.
Thought Ports defence played really well given the number of times we kept getting it inside 50 (particularly in the last), and their transition play was lethal. Thankfully for us our back half is so strong and were able to keep their forwards mostly quiet. Seen some epic finals and grand finals between these two clubs, glad yesterday it was our turn to be on the right end because it could easily have been the other way around.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby dedja » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:58 am

JK wrote:... it certainly felt like a Norwood v Port Grand Final to me yesterday. Two proud clubs that desperately wanted to win and gave their all ...

Real interesting point this one.

As a (somewhat biased) neutral, I couldn't fault what was happening on the field as Spermy has suggested.

What seemed very different to me was the crowd, the one sidedness which I've never, ever experienced in a final, let alone a Grand Final before ...and that includes the 1990 GF when most non- Port supporters were behind the Bays.

It was almost a surreal feeling.

How did others see this aspect? Was it just me?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby JK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:00 am

dedja wrote:
JK wrote:... it certainly felt like a Norwood v Port Grand Final to me yesterday. Two proud clubs that desperately wanted to win and gave their all ...

As a (somewhat biased) neutral, I couldn't fault what was happening on the field as Spermy has suggested.

What seemed very different to me was the crowd, the one sidedness which I've never, ever experienced in a final, let alone a Grand Final before ...and that includes the 1990 GF when most non- Port supporters were behind the Bays.

I intended to mention that actually .. First time I've ever been to a final and Norwood support has outnumbered Ports, so weird from that perspective, but on the field it felt every bit an old firm game.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby passionatelegsfan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:53 am

Deja I felt the same. I never imagined the crowd would be so one sided.

Fantastic effort by the legs. It must break the hearts of Port supporters everywhere seeing Norwood win flag after flag and they win nothing. Of course they will reply that they play in the so called best comp so it doesn't matter, minus their traditional guersney and colours, club emblem and club song. I say in all sincerity that i really hope Norwood never play in the AFL. I am having a great time watching them play in the SANFL which to me, will always be the best comp in the land.
passionatelegsfan

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby maccad » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:59 am

dedja wrote:

Port supporters were there yesterday but unless they scored a goal you did not hear them, I don't even recall them screaming out for holding the ball or doing a magpies chant it was weird. Maybe they were still coming to terms with the power losing Saturday night but their supporters just did not get into the game. It did look to be all norwood, there was a lot red around the place.
maccad
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL