2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Postby mal » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Booney wrote:Been a loooooooong weekend......

Could it happen ?
Could it happen ?
Could it happen in our lifetime Booney ?

36 Port Adelaide
30 Norwood

Could we see Norwood having the most flags in the SANFL ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:46 pm

Well done Norwood. Sensational efforts considering the change of personnel that has taken place in each of those seasons. 2012*, 2013 and now 2014** premiers. Are clearly the 3rd biggest club in the state. Would be nice to see them given the opportunity to challenge other big clubs around the country instead of being stuck in a Reserves competition. Albeit a Reserves competition that produced a great game of football in front of an excellent crowd.

You have to take your hat off to Port Adelaide. They have looked after themselves very well and you'd have to say have seamlessly transitioned to the new format. Instead of a distraction, Port Magpies are now a strategic piece of their ultimate goal of achieving an AFL premiership and being undisputed the best club in the land. They were so close to being in an AFL Grand Final and winning the SANFL premiership. No doubt they'll be practising their set shot goal kicking from the right hand forward pocket over the summer.

Well done also to the Eagles Reserves going back to back. May a few of those lads be given an opportunity to show their value at State League level next year.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 505 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:28 pm

mal wrote:
Booney wrote:Been a loooooooong weekend......

Could it happen ?
Could it happen ?
Could it happen in our lifetime Booney ?

36 Port Adelaide
30 Norwood

Could we see Norwood having the most flags in the SANFL ?

My lifetime, or yours? ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Rising Power » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:37 pm

Hopefully South, West, North and urgh...Glenelg can pull their finger out and start to even up the numbers over the next 10 years.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Stranded forever on 36, sad really.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:54 pm

Congratulations Legs.
All other issues aside, was a gutsy effort by them and a thrilling last quarter. Thought Port were going to pinch it, especially when O'Donoghue didn't score that would have made it at least an even goal.
Panos was brilliant. Hope for Norwood's sake they don't lose Webber and Bode, because the league needs as many mature footballers in their prime years as we can get. McGuinness will be a whole next year, but you'd think they could get Fuller and Georgiou back the year after.
Thought the umpiring was pretty reasonable and let the game flow, but would have criminal if a free like the Summertown decided the game.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby RustyCage » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:54 pm

Congratulations to Norwood. Great game, deserving premiers.

Still absolutely gutted.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Tech1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:53 pm

Well done Norwood, didn't think i'd enjoy it at all but did get a smile out of $ummerton missing that goal. Krakouer looked very good also out of the blokes that shouldn't be playing for port, wonder if he will stick around for $400 a game next year or take a much larger offer from a rival club...Still think both the crows and power reserves will get stronger not the other way around, hope some more of the real SANFL teams can somehow be better then them as Norwood where this year and we can keep them both out of the grand final next year.
Tech1
Rookie

Been liked: 27 times

Postby prowling panther » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:21 pm

Tech1, as I mentioned earlier in the season, it is now time for the other clubs to raise their bar.

Norwood did to win the GF, South and Sturt both did to contest the finals, North, Centrals and Eagles all slipped back a little while West and Glenelg made no progress.

All the clubs now realise how much work is needed to be done to keep the Crows and Power reserves at arms length.

We may not see a great deal of differences next season as it all has all into place, I think 2016 will be the season when all clubs have finally come to grips with what is really needed and how far they can push their players.

If any team wishes to enter the top 5, they have to push someone out. That will remain the challenges of all true SANFL Clubs.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby sjt » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:29 pm

prowling panther wrote:Tech1, as I mentioned earlier in the season, it is now time for the other clubs to raise their bar.

Norwood did to win the GF, South and Sturt both did to contest the finals, North, Centrals and Eagles all slipped back a little while West and Glenelg made no progress.

All the clubs now realise how much work is needed to be done to keep the Crows and Power reserves at arms length.

We may not see a great deal of differences next season as it all has all into place, I think 2016 will be the season when all clubs have finally come to grips with what is really needed and how far they can push their players.

If any team wishes to enter the top 5, they have to push someone out. That will remain the challenges of all true SANFL Clubs.

Tell that to the SANFL players that bust a gut each week to win a game and try to play in a GF. Tell it to the ones that do the extra sessions for no extra reward, no publicity but take up the challenge and then have to go to work to earn a living no matter how sore and battered they are from the weekend.
The clubs have come to grips with what's required. Pretty easy to say raise the bar. Have you a few suggestions?
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Rising Power » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:30 pm

prowling panther wrote:Tech1, as I mentioned earlier in the season, it is now time for the other clubs to raise their bar.

Good post. Up the mighty Hounds!
Rising Power
Under 16s

Been liked: 44 times

Postby Tech1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:18 pm

sjt wrote:

Tell that to the SANFL players that bust a gut each week to win a game and try to play in a GF. Tell it to the ones that do the extra sessions for no extra reward, no publicity but take up the challenge and then have to go to work to earn a living no matter how sore and battered they are from the weekend.
The clubs have come to grips with what's required. Pretty easy to say raise the bar. Have you a few suggestions?

Spot on, this is easier said then done when clubs can't pay extra money to attract or keep quality players, don't get paid enough as it is imho, these players have full time jobs. Clubs will have to get smarter sure but looking at it logically would you expect the AFL teams to add talent and get better wouldn't you? which will filter down to there reserves side, not to mention they have had more time to get better top up players next year, all playing for $400 i'll bet.
Tech1
Rookie

Postby RustyCage » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:48 pm

If Norwood can do it, there's no excuses for anyone else.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby dedja » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:14 am

LOL, Port couldn't do it for 15 years until they were gifted a place in a GF.

So should the other SANFL clubs do all this just for the right to play Port in the GF each year?

Give me a break.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby prowling panther » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:16 am

sjt wrote:

I may or may not have the answers you are looking for or want to hear, I can tell you this much, if all the clubs sit around having a moan about it and doing nothing, then our competition, the SANFL that we have grown up with since we started to kick a footy around in the back yard will just lay down, roll over and kark it, is that what you really want.
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Postby prowling panther » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:17 am

dedja wrote:LOL, Port couldn't do it for 15 years until they were gifted a place in a GF.

So should the other SANFL clubs do all this just for the right to play Port in the GF each year?

Give me a break.

No they shouldnt.

They can start doing something about it to make sure those priks have played in their last.
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Postby Tech1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:28 am

RustyCage wrote:If Norwood can do it, there's no excuses for anyone else.

Didn't read the post did you. It's the first year, it will get harder and harder, they only won by 3 points, no other team would've beaten them in the GF this year. Our salary cap doesn't increase each year and our talent pool doesn't automatically increase each year either. A lot of work still to be done by the league to sort this mess out.
Tech1
Rookie

Postby Tech1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:31 am

prowling panther wrote:
sjt wrote:

I may or may not have the answers you are looking for or want to hear, I can tell you this much, if all the clubs sit around having a moan about it and doing nothing, then our competition, the SANFL that we have grown up with since we started to kick a footy around in the back yard will just lay down, roll over and kark it, is that what you really want.

No. I want the league we play in to show some balls and do something about evening up the playing field or kicking them out. So far jack shit has been done. Then i will stop complaining.
Tech1
Rookie

Postby SDK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:48 am

The traditional SANFL clubs should have a salary cap increase or some other concessions to make the playing field even.
SDK
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 51 times

Postby mal » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:50 am

An interesting scoreline from the game
Norwood only won one quarter outright, yet won the game
The last qtr was 1-2 each
Nevertheless how often has a team that wins one qtr win a Grand Final ?

NW 5-1....7-8....11-8.......12-10
PA 1-3.....6-7.....10-10....11-12
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 909 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL