The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby saintal » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Bartlett and Allan handy for the Legs today.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:21 pm

daysofourlives wrote:On a day when many eyes were focused on Hawk Cyril Rioli, the Bulldogs, now aligned with the Western Bulldogs and playing their first season as a standalone team in the VFL competition, came from three goals down early in the final term to win by 22 points, 16.13 (109) to 13.9 (87), in front of 23,816 fans at Etihad Stadium.

Rioli had minimal influence on the contest despite a brief spike in the third term and sat out the final term. Box Hill was also suffering from a string of injuries, adding to their lack of rotations which proved costly in the finish.

So despite it being a Grand Final, game on the line and no one on the bench Cyril Rioli sat out the last quarter. Footscray must be stoked with their "win"

This just sums up with what is wrong with the new SANFL in a nutshell.

Not to mention Sewell and McEvoy being withdrawn from the lineup on the day of the game
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby RB » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:23 pm

daysofourlives wrote:So despite it being a Grand Final, game on the line and no one on the bench Cyril Rioli sat out the last quarter.

Disgusting. Would like to hear the pro-reserves flogs justify this.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby holden78 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:59 pm

Well done to Norwood!
It may well be one to remember in the future because the two AFL cancers of the SAAFL comp will only improve and must surely dominate for as long as is allowed by the Boys Club who run the game here.
Norwood are deservingly doing very well now, so too South although coming from the men's urinal anything looks great :twisted:
The other 6 teams though are either rubbish onfield, hurting off the field or both!
Without the two AFL cancers around South deservedly would have made a GF this year and been praised by all for it.
This fluster cuck of a comp won't be dishing up any non Cancer GF's anytime soon........ how wonderful all footy is GAYFL , we're soooo lucky :butthead:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:11 pm

I read someone's post saying that there are now only 4 VFL clubs that are not AFL reserves sides.

To me the solution is simple - send the Crows and Power to the AFL reserves in Victoria and the 4 "pure" Victorian teams to the SANFL.

If NT, Qld and NSW can have the NEAFL we could have a similar arrangement - the AFL and SANFL are now cashed up enough to support the extra travel costs. Seems simple but it's not going to happen!
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Dog Day Afternoon wrote:I read someone's post saying that there are now only 4 VFL clubs that are not AFL reserves sides.

To me the solution is simple - send the Crows and Power to the AFL reserves in Victoria and the 4 "pure" Victorian teams to the SANFL.

If NT, Qld and NSW can have the NEAFL we could have a similar arrangement - the AFL and SANFL are now cashed up enough to support the extra travel costs. Seems simple but it's not going to happen!

=D> =D>
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:23 pm

One more whinge. Keith Thomas being interviewed yesterday, implying that the new structure is a success and fobbing of the doomsayers because it allowed a couple of teams (Sturt and South) to improve.
Well bugger me, didn't know we have a final 8 with the five teams from last year plus these improving teams, plus Port. Sturt and South improved, Eagles, North and Centrals slid, it's the nature of a competition. If Sturt improved so much because they didn't have AFL players, how come the Eagles went backwards? West had very few AFL players last couple of years and slid.
Now off to buy a new telly.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby mal » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Norwood may have been fortunate if this game was drawn and progressed to extra time.
Wilson and Murphy were both injured with miniMAL chance of coming back on field.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1149 times
Been liked: 903 times

Postby Red Rocket » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:01 am

Had lunch with a board member of an SANFL club today and he mentioned that despite yesterdays result there are still changes afoot.
At the moment 4 clubs are on board and trying to gather more support but he mentioned that it probably wouldnt get pushed until next year.
A lot depends on the two sides forming an alliance with an amateur side but the proposal would limit the ammount of AFL listed players per game to 14, the others would then go to the ammateur side to play. Small tweak to finals eligibity aswell with 6 games required to qualify unless both sides are still in (like the weekend) As he said too late to get it up this year but will be pushing hard next year for it to be introduced in 2016. He didnt say which 4 clubs were currently onboard but obviously it would be good if all clubs jumped on.
There was also talk of the AFL sides being excluded from finals but a couple of clubs have knocked that on the head already
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:09 am

Dog Day Afternoon wrote:I read someone's post saying that there are now only 4 VFL clubs that are not AFL reserves sides.

i agree, that would be the best scenario for all concerned. could even have two divisions of second tier comps comprising all second tier clubs in australia, and then run the afl reserves as a separate comp. money would stop this from happening but it would be cool!
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby sjt » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:36 am

The licenses are now sold, yet port power still pay nothing to play in the league. The crows pay a total of only $350,000, a third of the cost of paying out a coach. In WA both afl clubs pay $100,000. At a minimum the sanfl should address this.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby kickinit » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:39 am

Can easily be done. Port and crows can travel to and from vid each, the SANFL clubs can also cover the bill for it. You want it you pay for it
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 am

Coming from a club that survived on handouts...
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Rising Power » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:54 am

Red Rocket wrote:Had lunch with a board member of an SANFL club today and he mentioned that despite yesterdays result there are still changes afoot.
At the moment 4 clubs are on board and trying to gather more support but he mentioned that it probably wouldnt get pushed until next year.
A lot depends on the two sides forming an alliance with an amateur side but the proposal would limit the ammount of AFL listed players per game to 14, the others would then go to the ammateur side to play. Small tweak to finals eligibity aswell with 6 games required to qualify unless both sides are still in (like the weekend) As he said too late to get it up this year but will be pushing hard next year for it to be introduced in 2016. He didnt say which 4 clubs were currently onboard but obviously it would be good if all clubs jumped on.
There was also talk of the AFL sides being excluded from finals but a couple of clubs have knocked that on the head already

So push the problem onto the SAAFL? If 19 full time professional players are available like in the GF, a single SAAFL club would take on the additional 5. That would make a hell of a difference to the results of games at that level. Would be interesting to see what changes are actually made.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby tipper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Rising Power wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:Had lunch with a board member of an SANFL club today and he mentioned that despite yesterdays result there are still changes afoot.

So push the problem onto the SAAFL? If 19 full time professional players are available like in the GF, a single SAAFL club would take on the additional 5. That would make a hell of a difference to the results of games at that level. Would be interesting to see what changes are actually made.

why not push the problem to the SAAFL, the AFL have pushed their problem onto us.....
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Any SANFL fan who agrees with pushing the problem to the amateur league is being a tad hypocritical.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Any SANFL fan who agrees with pushing the problem to the amateur league is being a tad hypocritical.

Have to agree.
If they are going to cap players thats fine, 4 or 5 just miss out each week. Up to the AFL clubs to work out a rotation system.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Any SANFL fan who agrees with pushing the problem to the amateur league is being a tad hypocritical.

Have to agree.
If they are going to cap players thats fine, 4 or 5 just miss out each week. Up to the AFL clubs to work out a rotation system.

Or those that are not up to standard ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:08 pm

How good would that league be! Port Melbourne in particular would be a formidable opponent, especially over there.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby tipper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:28 pm

i know, and i dont necessarily agree with it, i just used my hypocritical post to point out the hypocrisy of a power fan not wanting to put the problem in the saafl's lap, but also be perfectly happy to lump it all on the sanfl (of course, that the magpies have a stronger sanfl side with all their spare players at that level would have nothing to do with that argument though)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL