SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Dog Day Afternoon wrote:In some sports they count every season ticket holder who has a right to a seat as having attended even though they don't go near the stadium. That way they have higher attendance to attract sponsors.

But the SANFL wouldn't do anything like that would they?

Which sports?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Dog Day Afternoon wrote:In some sports they count every season ticket holder who has a right to a seat as having attended even though they don't go near the stadium. That way they have higher attendance to attract sponsors.

Which sports?

How could you possibly do that?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Which sports?

You don't think that sports administrators might not be tempted to vary the numbers if there is an advantage? Are the reported numbers audited?
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:25 pm

You should ask the Central District Football Club about match day attendances and how they are recorded.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Dog Day Afternoon wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Which sports?

You don't think that sports administrators might not be tempted to vary the numbers if there is an advantage? Are the reported numbers audited?

I'm not refuting that, in fact I'm sure it happens. I'm just curious which sports count every season ticket holder as bring a part of the attendance like you stated. Link?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'm not refuting that, in fact I'm sure it happens. I'm just curious which sports count every season ticket holder as bring a part of the attendance like you stated. Link?

Sorry can't tell you. I value my life too much.
Dog Day Afternoon

Postby PhilH » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:05 pm

NFL used to advise a crowd figure (those that actually turned up) and a second figure "no shows", those season tickets not scanned for the day.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Was wondering about the NFL, watching some highlights of Tampa a couple weeks ago.
Last quarter and they were getting thumped, but just caught a glimpse of part of the stands and looked like a large bay was completely empty and another part scattered with people, but looking on the NFL attendances they have averaged 61k in a 65k stadium over the first two weeks.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:20 pm

PhilH wrote:NFL used to advise a crowd figure (those that actually turned up) and a second figure "no shows", those season tickets not scanned for the day.

Yes - if you add those 2 figures together you get a total of seats sold - a euphemism for attendance.
Dog Day Afternoon

Postby PhilH » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:21 pm

A lot of NFL people leave early or find a bar if the game is over as a contest.

Was staggered last week, Atlanta AT HOME has a 56-0 lead over TAMPA BAY going into the final quarter and the stadium was 1/3 full at best.

Maybe playing Thursday night has an impact with Friday a work day.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:25 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
matt35 wrote:Of course there were some spare spots at AO with 38k, there've been crowds of 52k plus at AFL games. My girlfriend and I went to the Port Freo game with a crowd in the high 30s and she thought it was similar to that before we knew the official number. Very good crowd, very good tv ratings, the SANFL will be more than happy and they should be.

Just looked more than 14,000 empty seats.
Half the Riverbank stand was empty and the top tiers of the other stands were sparcely populated also plenty of room to walk freely around the hill. I honestly thought around the 32k mark. Either way was a decent crowd but I would of expected similar if it was Norwood v South as I reckon 30,000 plus were supporting Norwood. Very small Port turn out

Nearly 39,000 and a great game. Definitely more Norwood supporters than Port but still a lot of Port people there. There was no spare seats in the bottom tear. It was a great day as i predicted and left the profits of doom without to much to whinge about.

You think the "profits of doom" are whinging about one fricken game.

You have NFI. Let's see how many of those 39,000 turn up in the middle of July.
This year's league attendances have had the 2nd lowest in 10 years. And that's including the novelty factor or maybe it should be termed the 'macabre curiosity' factor.

I'm sure the SANFL will be overjoyed at the 39k turn out, with the first GF at AO, supposedly biggest rivalry in the state, blardy blardy. Do you think the SANFL will survive on that one game a year??

Yes the SANFL will survive. To suggest otherwise makes it obvious that you are the one with NFI. You sit in your little room on your keyboard finding every little thing to stew about as you dissect the tiresome minutiae of every little questionable detail. Sorry North let you down, sorry the league showed some vision, sorry your club voted for the changes, sorry some of us understand things that you don't.

I can understand people wanting the NO vote I really do but the ship has sailed and it's time to accept it.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:39 pm

We know it will survive, the afl can't afford for it not to.

What the people you so glibly dismiss as having nfi want is for the competition to mean something to the wider community.

However not even the tinfoil hat afl tragics like yourself have the effrontery to suggest that Port not being able to select the best 21 players from those available to them in a freaking grand final does anything to enhance the league.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:05 am

topsywaldron wrote:We know it will survive, the afl can't afford for it not to.

What the people you so glibly dismiss as having nfi want is for the competition to mean something to the wider community.

However not even the tinfoil hat afl tragics like yourself have the effrontery to suggest that Port not being able to select the best 21 players from those available to them in a freaking grand final does anything to enhance the league.

I have said that poster has NFI not every other poster. You have fallen into the same ignominious trap assuming I'm a "tinfoil hat AFL tragic" without having a clue about me.

I have never said the system is perfect I just try and find positives and refuse to criticise everyone ,everything and every time someone farts. Back in 89/90 when Port tried to enter the AFL ultimately leading to the Crows and eventually Port it meant necessary change has had to occur to move forward. It was always going to have its challenges but 25 years on I'm still at 10-15 SANFL games a year and still love the product. It was a great GF and in my opinion the league under the challenges it has faced is not in a precarious state of doom and gloom.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:26 am

wristwatcher wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:We know it will survive, the afl can't afford for it not to.

I have said that poster has NFI not every other poster. You have fallen into the same ignominious trap assuming I'm a "tinfoil hat AFL tragic" without having a clue about me.

I have never said the system is perfect I just try and find positives and refuse to criticise everyone ,everything and every time someone farts. Back in 89/90 when Port tried to enter the AFL ultimately leading to the Crows and eventually Port it meant necessary change has had to occur to move forward. It was always going to have its challenges but 25 years on I'm still at 10-15 SANFL games a year and still love the product. It was a great GF and in my opinion the league under the challenges it has faced is not in a precarious state of doom and gloom.

where were you months ago when matt35 and i were fighting the losing battle haha.

in all seriousness, good post. Whilst it isnt all rosy, it certainly isnt about to collapse tomorrow either. and the crowd on the weekend was great
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Douglas Mawson » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:01 am

Cute.

Population of Kansas: 3
Douglas Mawson
Rookie

Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:35 am

Wedgie wrote:
Dog Day Afternoon wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Which sports?

I'm not refuting that, in fact I'm sure it happens. I'm just curious which sports count every season ticket holder as bring a part of the attendance like you stated. Link?

I think they do it in the English soccer leagues
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:51 am

wristwatcher wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Just looked more than 14,000 empty seats.
Half the Riverbank stand was empty and the top tiers of the other stands were sparcely populated also plenty of room to walk freely around the hill. I honestly thought around the 32k mark. Either way was a decent crowd but I would of expected similar if it was Norwood v South as I reckon 30,000 plus were supporting Norwood. Very small Port turn out

Nearly 39,000 and a great game. Definitely more Norwood supporters than Port but still a lot of Port people there. There was no spare seats in the bottom tear. It was a great day as i predicted and left the profits of doom without to much to whinge about.

You think the "profits of doom" are whinging about one fricken game.

You have NFI. Let's see how many of those 39,000 turn up in the middle of July.
This year's league attendances have had the 2nd lowest in 10 years. And that's including the novelty factor or maybe it should be termed the 'macabre curiosity' factor.

I'm sure the SANFL will be overjoyed at the 39k turn out, with the first GF at AO, supposedly biggest rivalry in the state, blardy blardy. Do you think the SANFL will survive on that one game a year??

Yes the SANFL will survive. To suggest otherwise makes it obvious that you are the one with NFI. You sit in your little room on your keyboard finding every little thing to stew about as you dissect the tiresome minutiae of every little questionable detail. Sorry North let you down, sorry the league showed some vision, sorry your club voted for the changes, sorry some of us understand things that you don't.

I can understand people wanting the NO vote I really do but the ship has sailed and it's time to accept it.

"Sit in my little room" you condescending (apologies, no need for insults)
No one said the SANFL won't survive, no more than the VFL doesn't survive now.
You will be happy to move on, just as you were happy to move on to the "new challenges" that came with your precious Port's back door attempt to join the AFL the first time around.
You don't need to apologise for what North have done. That same old "your club voted for it" shite is a typical response from half wits who have no idea why anyone wouldn't be happy with the current situation.

You are a Power ....... who doesn't even bother to put the Magpies badge on your profile, who no doubt will be just as happy when your reserves outfit moves on to its own league and leaves the SANFL in the shit state that the VFL and WAFL are in now.
Last edited by johntheclaret on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:55 am

can this get anymore boring and pointless :roll:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:57 am

gossipgirl wrote:can this get anymore boring and pointless :roll:

Yes and no
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:01 am

gossipgirl wrote:can this get anymore boring and pointless :roll:

Yep, you just achieved it.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL