SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:03 am

wristwatcher wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:We know it will survive, the afl can't afford for it not to.

What the people you so glibly dismiss as having nfi want is for the competition to mean something to the wider community.

However not even the tinfoil hat afl tragics like yourself have the effrontery to suggest that Port not being able to select the best 21 players from those available to them in a freaking grand final does anything to enhance the league.

I have said that poster has NFI not every other poster. You have fallen into the same ignominious trap assuming I'm a "tinfoil hat AFL tragic" without having a clue about me.

I have never said the system is perfect I just try and find positives and refuse to criticise everyone ,everything and every time someone farts. Back in 89/90 when Port tried to enter the AFL ultimately leading to the Crows and eventually Port it meant necessary change has had to occur to move forward. It was always going to have its challenges but 25 years on I'm still at 10-15 SANFL games a year and still love the product. It was a great GF and in my opinion the league under the challenges it has faced is not in a precarious state of doom and gloom.

....and Norwood.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:05 am

Dear John,

YOU were the one that questioned the SANFLs survival about three posts ago and the fact you need to resort to calling me an arsehole and a flog as well as your assumption that you know who I support once again proves you have no idea. Get some analytical ability and perhaps even entertain the idea that just because I have a different opinion doesn't mean I am 100 percent wrong.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:08 am

bennymacca wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:We know it will survive, the afl can't afford for it not to.

What the people you so glibly dismiss as having nfi want is for the competition to mean something to the wider community.

However not even the tinfoil hat afl tragics like yourself have the effrontery to suggest that Port not being able to select the best 21 players from those available to them in a freaking grand final does anything to enhance the league.

I have said that poster has NFI not every other poster. You have fallen into the same ignominious trap assuming I'm a "tinfoil hat AFL tragic" without having a clue about me.

I have never said the system is perfect I just try and find positives and refuse to criticise everyone ,everything and every time someone farts. Back in 89/90 when Port tried to enter the AFL ultimately leading to the Crows and eventually Port it meant necessary change has had to occur to move forward. It was always going to have its challenges but 25 years on I'm still at 10-15 SANFL games a year and still love the product. It was a great GF and in my opinion the league under the challenges it has faced is not in a precarious state of doom and gloom.

where were you months ago when matt35 and i were fighting the losing battle haha.

in all seriousness, good post. Whilst it isnt all rosy, it certainly isnt about to collapse tomorrow either. and the crowd on the weekend was great

Time will tell, but those prepping for an SANFL doomsday still have time to fill their bunkers with memories of the 70's and 80's. The competition is well and truly alive and those who predicted and in someways hoped for it to fall in a heap to substantiate the amount of times they smashed their keyboards will have to either wait it out, keep bitching regardless, move onto something else in their lives or admit they may have over reacted.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:19 am

I never predicted doom and gloom.
But...two teams whose major aim in the competition is not to win the flag has always been a concern to me.
I don't think that's been disproved as a notion yet. Has it?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:20 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I never predicted doom and gloom.
But...two teams whose major aim in the competition is not to win the flag has always been a concern to me.

I don't think it was proved, was it?

So the round-and-round-and-round continues.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:21 am

wristwatcher wrote:Dear John,

YOU were the one that questioned the SANFLs survival about three posts ago and the fact you need to resort to calling me an arsehole and a flog as well as your assumption that you know who I support once again proves you have no idea. Get some analytical ability and perhaps even entertain the idea that just because I have a different opinion doesn't mean I am 100 percent wrong.

Yes apologies for that, I've removed those insults. It's not really my nature to lob personal insults.
Your condescending post obviously brought out the worst in me.

I'd say the same you. I don't have to move on and accept the current situation just because you have. And that I don't doesn't mean I'm 100% wrong either.
As for the survival of the SANFL. My question was rhetorical. I kinda thought anyone reading my post would have understood that. Sorry if it was too cryptic.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:25 am

johntheclaret wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Dear John,

Yes apologies for that, I've removed those insults. It's not really my nature to lob personal insults.
Your condescending post obviously brought out the worst in me.

I'd say the same you. I don't have to move on and accept the current situation just because you have. And that I don't doesn't mean I'm 100% wrong either.
As for the survival of the SANFL. My question was rhetorical. I kinda thought anyone reading my post would have understood that. Sorry if it was too cryptic.

That's fine. Agree to Disagree
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:26 am

Group hug?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:44 am

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I never predicted doom and gloom.

I don't think it was proved, was it?

So the round-and-round-and-round continues.

Remind me of what Garry Hocking said...
How about GF selection?

We are in a position where we can, depending on the politics of the situation:

A) Give sides concessions that allow them to be stronger

or

B) Take them away, so they can't be too strong.

Which, to me, is problematical.

Any, this has nothing to do with size.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:36 am

Selection issues would have been there last year correct? Now it is just concentrated in 2 teams instead of spread out.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby smac » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:20 pm

That's right. Spread out, evenly across all competitors. See where that's headed?
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Booney wrote:Time will tell, but those prepping for an SANFL doomsday still have time to fill their bunkers with memories of the 70's and 80's.

No disrespect intended here but this f**king quote sh*ts me to tears.

I'm smart enough to know that the glory days of the SANFL are behind us, we're not going to need to be perched on light poles at Norwood Oval to watch a game anytime soon. Plus they'd probably fall over.

I'm also smart enough, and I'd like to think with a broad enough appreciation of ethics in sport, to want my club to play in a competition that is both fair and relevant. I don't think you can have one without the other. Do the Crows and Port reserves teams make the SANFL fairer or more equitable for the remaining eight clubs? Will they help the SANFL remain a vibrant community based sporting organisation? Rhetorical questions obviously.

I've also said all along that the true damage caused by the introduction of the reserves teams will be felt in five to ten years so despite 38K being a great crowd it answers nothing in my mind.

But to dismiss opponents of the reserves teams as some kind of sepia toned nostalgics is the easy way out for people whose first club is an AFL team.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:41 pm

wristwatcher wrote:I have said that poster has NFI not every other poster. You have fallen into the same ignominious trap assuming I'm a "tinfoil hat AFL tragic" without having a clue about me.

I love being lectured about the competition my team plays in by someone who supports another team in another competition.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:22 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Booney wrote:Time will tell, but those prepping for an SANFL doomsday still have time to fill their bunkers with memories of the 70's and 80's.

I'm smart enough to know that the glory days of the SANFL are behind us, we're not going to need to be perched on light poles at Norwood Oval to watch a game anytime soon. Plus they'd probably fall over.

I'm also smart enough, and I'd like to think with a broad enough appreciation of ethics in sport, to want my club to play in a competition that is both fair and relevant. I don't think you can have one without the other. Do the Crows and Port reserves teams make the SANFL fairer or more equitable for the remaining eight clubs? Will they help the SANFL remain a vibrant community based sporting organisation? Rhetorical questions obviously.

I've also said all along that the true damage caused by the introduction of the reserves teams will be felt in five to ten years so despite 38K being a great crowd it answers nothing in my mind.

But to dismiss opponents of the reserves teams as some kind of sepia toned nostalgics is the easy way out for people whose first club is an AFL team.

None taken.

We all know there are (currently) three sets of rules, we all know the "integrity" of the competition is muddier than the bottom of the Torrens. FFS, we all know this!

So, I figure people can come on here and go-round-and-round-and-round in circles if they want, what it accomplishes I've no idea. Some sort of self gratification in letting other people know that you know.

If you want change, if you don't want things to remain as they are go and lobby the people in charge. Lobby the people who can implement change.

Now, let's get all philosophical for moment.

If you think or believe the people in charge don't give a shit about your lobby or are influenced by matters beyond your control then as far as I can tell you've got a couple of options. Live with it, or walk away. For mine, life is far too short to simply spend my time on some negative merry go round that accomplishes, ultimately, nothing.

As for this subject matter, SANFL crowds, numbers suggest many people have done the former......they've decided to live with it. ****, Norwood decided to live with it this year, none of the players, coaches or support crew just thought "**** it, it's compromised"...they hit the training track, they focused on the task at hand and too the challenge on. Now you're a club that's won three in a row and can rightfully boast about it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Booney wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:

None taken.

We all know there are (currently) three sets of rules, we all know the "integrity" of the competition is muddier than the bottom of the Torrens. FFS, we all know this!

So, I figure people can come on here and go-round-and-round-and-round in circles if they want, what it accomplishes I've no idea. Some sort of self gratification in letting other people know that you know.

If you want change, if you don't want things to remain as they are go and lobby the people in charge. Lobby the people who can implement change.

If you think or believe the people in charge don't give a shit about your lobby or are influenced by matters beyond your control then as far as I can tell you've got a couple of options. Live with it, or walk away. For mine, life is far too short to simply spend my time on some negative merry go round that accomplishes, ultimately, nothing.

As for this subject matter, SANFL crowds, numbers suggest many people have done the former......they've decided to live with it. ****, Norwood decided to live with it this year, none of the players, coaches or support crew just thought "**** it, it's compromised"...they hit the training track, they focused on the task at hand and too the challenge on. Now you're a club that's won three in a row and can rightfully boast about it.

Booney, one of the features of this thread is that encourages supporters to do just what you are saying - excert their power as a member and call their club, make their point and vote accordingly. If enough of us do that for long enough we will get the change we want. This thread gives us all moral support to keep doing just that.
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Seriously?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Good post Booney, the longer one and one that doesn't paint opponents as simply NIMBY's.

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:47 pm

(Now group hug)

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby sjt » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Booney wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:

None taken.

So did South and the other clubs.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:47 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:I have said that poster has NFI not every other poster. You have fallen into the same ignominious trap assuming I'm a "tinfoil hat AFL tragic" without having a clue about me.

I love being lectured about the competition my team plays in by someone who supports another team in another competition.

So based on your logic I am now being lectured by someone who does not support an AFL team, doesn't support an SANFL team and has never played in the SAAFL comp :roll:
wristwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL