HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Banker » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:08 pm

no1rangler wrote:Thanks Tanka.

Why did Echunga opt for one of their best players to play B grade vs bridgewater in one of the last minor round games?

Apparently the B grade only had 19 players that week. Edmonds and Carey volunteered to play both games in the hope they could snag a few extra points to avoid relegation. Didnt help haha
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Banker » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:11 pm

chopper7 wrote:Legs man I think we can all count there that there has been more than 2 inclusions like you keep saying. Team full off $$$ there on the right

Money well spent then... What about the other 9 clubs that blew 50-100k this year and dont have anything to show for it?
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Legs Man » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:30 pm

LIndsay , Aish and Harland in from last year - the rest were current or past Echunga players.

Luke Wilson was #4 but didn't play in the finals.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Legs Man » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:42 pm

From today's Mt Barker Courier - Opinion

Out of bounds
September 24, 2014
The euphoria enjoyed by the players and supporters of the Echunga Football Club after Saturday’s grand final win will no doubt be tempered by the realisation that the club could be demoted to the second tier competition next season.
Despite winning the Central Division A-grade flag in the first season since being promoted from Country Division – possibly the first time this has been achieved – the club faces the very real prospect of being relegated to the competition it fought so hard to leave just 12 months ago.
It is understandably a bitter pill to swallow for the club.
The Hills Football League (HFL) rules clearly state the club with the lowest overall success rate must make way for any qualified club which applies to play in the top division, unless another agrees to step down.
The club rankings are achieved by allocating points for wins in all grades during the season – 10 points for an A-grade win, five points for B-grade and senior colts and three points for junior colts.
However, the HFL by-laws do not state if this calculation ceases at the end of the minor round or if it continues into the finals series.
This grey area could be contested by Echunga which could argue that, if applied, Bridgewater should be demoted to make way for Mt Lofty which must be elevated after making the Country Division grand final.

Mt Lofty not only won that grand final but also won the B-grade, senior colts and Under 13 premierships.
Mt Lofty was demoted last year to make way for Echunga but is clearly too good for the lower division.
Another by-law could be changed at a special meeting if enough clubs support Echunga’s desire to stay in the Hills’ premier competition by increasing the number of teams allowed to join (currently 10).
This could be further confused if Nairne-Bremer – the other Country Division grand finalist – applies to move up into the top division.
Either way the administration of the league is no doubt bracing for a battle. Let’s hope it doesn’t descend to lawyers at 20 paces and both the league’s administrators and club delegates can keep the betterment of football for everyone as their primary objective ahead of parochialism.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby no1rangler » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Interesting time's ahead
no1rangler
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby dangermouse » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:25 pm

I certainly hope that the option of an 11 team competition is put to a vote and that the clubs do the right thing by Hills Football as a whole and vote it in. Hills Central enjoyed one of the closest seasons in its history with almost all A Grade games having uncertain winners at the first bounce. Country division on the other hand was largely dominated by one club, and if any of the current central sides go down that is exactly what they will have on their hands again next year. An 8 team Country comp will be fought out strongly between Kersbrook and Nairne and will also likely feature an improving Macclesfield- and hopefully a stronger Meadows side. Let's not forget that Gumeracha knocked over Kersbrook late in the year.

Echunga have just won probably the greatest premiership in league history (has any other club ended the season for every other finalist as Echunga did this year?!) so to not have them have the opportunity to defend it would be a travesty. And I bet their other grades will be stronger next year as they will find it easier again to attract players (for free) to help stock their b grade and going by Legs Man's posts it seems they are working hard to further strengthen their junior grades so this should be given time to bear fruit.

Any club officials who think it would benefit their club to see the premier relegated so there is less opposition for a flag should seriously grow a pair- I bet Uraidla will relish the chance at revenge next year.

Finally I hope all at Echunga are enjoying the fact that so many people in Hills footy are sucking on sour grapes at your success this year. To suggest Echunga 'bought' a premiership is petty and out of touch with the realities on Hills Central football. Mt Lofty won a country premiership with a squad of largely home grown talent plus a few players who came to the club for nothing (Sascha, Eli Highfold, Pete Sanders) plus a few former recruits returning and playing for $0 (Gordon and Wood). We are confident that with the side we had this past season we would have been competitive with anyone in Central this year, but that means we could have ended up anywhere from 2nd to last! However if we want to seriously compete for a flag in 2015 we will need to bring in 2-3 players of high quality and that doesn't happen for free. It seems that Echunga recruited some quality players/people into their club, which is what Uraidla have been doing for years and what Mt Lofty did in the mid to late 2000s and are still reaping rewards from.

Hats off to Echunga, Mt Lofty FC certainly look forward to having a crack at your title in 2015!
dangermouse
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:51 pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned it how the EFC is going to strengthen its lower grades, even if it stays up next year under the existing system they could be in trouble again this time next year. They put a lot of focus on their A grade (and so they should and deserve the rewards) but maybe took their eye off the ball on their other grades?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Legs Man » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Should Echunga stay in Central we are likely to pick up quite a few A grade players with some returning and others already voicing their intention to play.
There are also some reserves players who are looking to play seeking a chance to play A grade.
Our junior ranks will continue to grow and preliminary work has already been undertaken to ensure this.
Hopefully we get an understanding of where we sit by the HFL sooner rather than later as the late call on promotion this season affected our recruiting across all grades.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby jumbo20 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Tough to hang on to your paid players with the uncertainty Legs Man?
jumbo20
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Legs Man » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:48 pm

At this stage i would say all the players are committed to defending their title and are celebrating as they should.
The club is aware of the situation as are the players - who have upheld their part of avoiding relegation - it is now in the hands of the club administration, HFL and the other stakeholders involved, including the other clubs in this competition.
Lets hope this is not a drawn out process as occurred last year which affected both Mt Lofty and Echunga.
It was of particular concern to us heading into this season as it provided less recruiting time across all grades and an air of uncertainty.
The HFL as the governing body should make this an absolute priority and expedite the relegation process decision.
If there was ever a reason for a special meeting this should be it - so lets see how proactive this league is and allow them to be judged by their actions.
The only public comment I have read by the HFL (in the Mt Barker Courier) is :
Echunga will challenge any demotion to the Country Division but HFL president Glen Sickerdick says his board won’t be seeking to change the rules.
“I can understand Echunga’s position – here we have a situation where they’ve won the finals, they’ve won the grand final and they’re facing relegation,” he said.
"But if I was to go in now and seek to change the bylaw, the rule that all clubs voted on for clubs to go up, I think I would have a vote of no confidence in me and the board.
"It would be very , very inappropriate as a board to ever think to change the bylaw"

Perhaps a vote of no confidence is in order by the clubs already - as the Hills Football League competition is again embroiled in controversy for the second year running. (not taking into account the previous Callington Eagles saga which gained national and statewide coverage due to record defeated scores and continuing unevenness of the Country Division )

How long should our league go through this year in year out ?

The HFL clubs have a strong say in how this evolves and will ultimately be responsible also.
It is now up to the HFL to call a special meeting as a matter of urgency and the clubs to vote on both the league's competency and the future direction of the competition.

The clock is now ticking...
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby overthehill » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:20 am

Hi Legs Man,
As we all know you are a public hater of the HFL board. So i am just wondering, hypothetically if the clubs were to get together and there was a vote of no confidence and the current administration was to be removed, who in your mind runs the league? would it just be the Echunga Football League?
If you would like to be more specific, who on the board needs to go (in your opinion) and and who should replace them?

Only asking because you talk a lot about problems and very little about solutions which in my experience makes you a cancer and i'm sure this is not the case!
overthehill
Rookie

Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby toot toot » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:32 am

I don't know the ins and outs of how you go about changing the rules but....

Surely if Echunga or another club came up with an amendment to the current by-laws, this could be presented at special meeting and voted on by all the clubs? Because isn't it after all the clubs who decide the rules & the HFL just enforce them?

So maybe instead of Echunga complaining about the HFL, they should be proactive, come up with a solution & get the support of enough clubs to get it passed.
toot toot
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby twobob » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:54 am

Not being familiar with the HFL has this rating the club across all teams policy been in for a long time, Did all clubs vote for it and has it been implemented to ensure that clubs don't buy premierships? I can understand Echunga's not wanting to go down but what do they suggest happens to the teams in the country division striving for success and promotion. I think in this situation whist it may be unfortunate, if the delegates voted in this policy regardless of where your A'Grade have finished if your club has not performed as a whole then the rule should apply. Echunga get your house in order and come back a better and stronger club. But don't try and get the rules changed just to suit your situation.
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby atlantis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:02 am

overthehill wrote:Hi Legs Man,
As we all know you are a public hater of the HFL board. So i am just wondering, hypothetically if the clubs were to get together and there was a vote of no confidence and the current administration was to be removed, who in your mind runs the league? would it just be the Echunga Football League?
If you would like to be more specific, who on the board needs to go (in your opinion) and and who should replace them?

Only asking because you talk a lot about problems and very little about solutions which in my experience makes you a cancer and i'm sure this is not the case!

President: Glen Sickerdick > Kym Pocock
Vice President: Glen Thompson > Peter Munn
Secretary: Sam Stanbury > Vic Jones
atlantis

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Legs Man » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:26 am

I am purely suggesting that the clubs must have now had enough of the continuing saga that they keep enduring.
There are tireless workers within the HFL and I have no doubt that as volunteers they are trying to get it right.
My whole aim is to see our competition across both divisions succeed and be something we can all be proud of.
As SC has mooted an extended competition is best solution - but with the statements coming from the league they seem reticent to implement or drive this.
The solution I propose is the same with either an 11 or 12 team comp which allows the best sides within the top tier Central division and enables the Country sides to have an even competition that they can strive for a premiership within.
Having the likes of Mt Lofty, Echunga or even to an extent Nairne playing in Country division does not promote football with very uneven results eventuating.
For this type of change to occur it naturally needs to be driven hard by the governing body as clubs have their own backyards and interests as the priority.
Due to the alignment of HFL administrators to clubs within the league we now need an independent person employed as CEO to ensure a neutral and unbiased platform.
This will then ensure the HFL is viewed as totally neutral when decisions are made and implemented.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby overthehill » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:11 pm

Legs Man wrote:I am purely suggesting that the clubs must have now had enough of the continuing saga that they keep enduring.
There are tireless workers within the HFL and I have no doubt that as volunteers they are trying to get it right.
My whole aim is to see our competition across both divisions succeed and be something we can all be proud of.
As SC has mooted an extended competition is best solution - but with the statements coming from the league they seem reticent to implement or drive this.
The solution I propose is the same with either an 11 or 12 team comp which allows the best sides within the top tier Central division and enables the Country sides to have an even competition that they can strive for a premiership within.
Having the likes of Mt Lofty, Echunga or even to an extent Nairne playing in Country division does not promote football with very uneven results eventuating.
For this type of change to occur it naturally needs to be driven hard by the governing body as clubs have their own backyards and interests as the priority.
Due to the alignment of HFL administrators to clubs within the league we now need an independent person employed as CEO to ensure a neutral and unbiased platform.
This will then ensure the HFL is viewed as totally neutral when decisions are made and implemented.

Seems silly and over kill considering there's only one club that seems to have a big issue but ill humor you.

How much do you think a salary of a person would need to be to attract someone of that caliber? (considering senior ranking Police officers don't seem to make the grade in your eyes)
where would the money come from to pay this interdependent person?
how would they prove to be completely independent? (even though i don't believe the board members get a vote on HFL law)
What if the new CEO looks at the laws and says "yes Echunga need to adhere to HFL law and go to country division for 2015"?
are all these outlandish suggestions just making the real mockery?
overthehill
Rookie

Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:27 pm

twobob wrote:Not being familiar with the HFL has this rating the club across all teams policy been in for a long time, Did all clubs vote for it and has it been implemented to ensure that clubs don't buy premierships? I can understand Echunga's not wanting to go down but what do they suggest happens to the teams in the country division striving for success and promotion. I think in this situation whist it may be unfortunate, if the delegates voted in this policy regardless of where your A'Grade have finished if your club has not performed as a whole then the rule should apply. Echunga get your house in order and come back a better and stronger club. But don't try and get the rules changed just to suit your situation.

I don't think anyone could accuse Echunga of not having their house in order, they have entered a team in every grade and have won the A-Grade Premiership (the one that counts). I am not sure how they could come back a bigger and stronger club.
They have obviously worked hard to ensure they have fielded each junior team, to push them down now will move those teams to a faulty junior competition and will make retention of those juniors difficult, therefore undoing the good work.
The points system as it stands is way too weighted against A-Grade, in no semi-professional competition in the world would winning a game in your reserves and a couple of underage teams be more valuable than a win for your senior team. However, the saving grace is that the rule is so poorly worded that it has lost all credibility as there is no definition of what games count and which do not. Echunga cannot possibly be relegated as the rule is currently stated, in no way should they accept it and they should explore every legal avenue to avoid it.

It cannot be in the best interest of the Board of the HFL to relegate them, this is going to continue to grow profile in the media the longer it continues due to the nature of it. It has all the makings of a David & Goliath story and will make some great headlines.

On the other side of the coin Bridgewater find themselves in an interesting position, from the discussions on here it appears they have been told that they are safe. If that is the case, they too have a strong case to stay up as a result. I can see an 11 team competition next year, not necessarily as a result of a vote of the clubs, but potentially as a result of a court injunction.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Legs Man » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:49 pm

overthehill wrote:
Legs Man wrote:I am purely suggesting that the clubs must have now had enough of the continuing saga that they keep enduring.

Seems silly and over kill considering there's only one club that seems to have a big issue but ill humor you.

How much do you think a salary of a person would need to be to attract someone of that caliber? (considering senior ranking Police officers don't seem to make the grade in your eyes)
where would the money come from to pay this interdependent person?
how would they prove to be completely independent? (even though i don't believe the board members get a vote on HFL law)
What if the new CEO looks at the laws and says "yes Echunga need to adhere to HFL law and go to country division for 2015"?
are all these outlandish suggestions just making the real mockery?

I would think that a circa $70k + salary would be in order.
This would be entirely dependent on the turnover of the league and what avenues of revenue could be grown.
Sponsorship, Football Budget, events and advertising revenue would be the areas of growth which can be enhanced by a full time CEO
I also am taking into consideration that it is a very difficult position to be in for persons with full time employment also needing to administer a league as their secondary role.
Positions on the board should be undertaken by volunteers and people with a passion for our league - which the current board obviously has - but it's a big ask to dedicate the time that is now required with our competition being semi professional at the top tier.
By having a CEO that is neutral it also formulates the perception of unbiased decision making and alleviates the pressure the current board is enduring.
It is a proven formula the SAAFL has adopted and they are bearing the fruits of this in both a sponsorship and an administrative sense.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Did i read right that Euchunga had a 16 and 17yr old in their A grade premiership team?

Presumably these kids were played because they were at a stage of development that saw them need to be tested at a higher level. Im sure Uchunga could have kept them in the senior colts and maybe picked up the required wins to satisfy the club points system but they put the development of these kids ahead of that.
The whole clubs points system is counter productive to developing talented kids to reach their highest potential IMO.
Successful junior sides is largely do to population which results in more kids of averge ability, it doesnt necessarilytranslate to A Grade standard footballers in the future.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Panther » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Just my opinion :

Yes the original understanding of the rules are that Echunga finished in the relagation position ( there may be a loop hole, but do we want to have legal issues every year ? ) .

But,

Do we want the club which won the A grade premiership going back to country. I would suggest that only people with certain agendas would say yes.

We want the HFL being held up in good light and relagating the premiers would certainly not do this.

It will take a resposible vote from the clubs, made with the best intentions for the HFL competition.

" Heads over hearts on this one ".
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy