Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH) 2014/15.

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:18 pm

40 over one dayers, 1pm until 6pm. God's gift to cricketers.

Short days, juniors don't run into senior start times, still time for good players to make a ton, get to bat/bowl every single week, no full days in the field, sensible over rate so don't finish at 7pm.

Oh, but the spinners won't bowl. Well bowl them then. Captains choose who bowls.

Oh, but the younger blokes won't get a bat. Well bat them then. Captains choose the batting order.

Oh, but you get more time to bat with two dayers. No you don't. Teams get 80 overs per fortnight to bat no matter if it's one or two dayers.

Oh, but it's not real cricket. Neither are two dayers. Real cricket is five days long, goes from 11 til 6 and still might end in a draw after all that time.

Oh, but we'll create a generation of sloggers. Better to create a generation that don't play at all?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:40 over one dayers, 1pm until 6pm. God's gift to cricketers.

Short days, juniors don't run into senior start times, still time for good players to make a ton, get to bat/bowl every single week, no full days in the field, sensible over rate so don't finish at 7pm.

Oh, but the spinners won't bowl. Well bowl them then. Captains choose who bowls.

Oh, but the younger blokes won't get a bat. Well bat them then. Captains choose the batting order.

Oh, but you get more time to bat with two dayers. No you don't. Teams get 80 overs per fortnight to bat no matter if it's one or two dayers.

Oh, but it's not real cricket. Neither are two dayers. Real cricket is five days long, goes from 11 til 6 and still might end in a draw after all that time.

Oh, but we'll create a generation of sloggers. Better to create a generation that don't play at all?

Well said.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Ramrod » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:33 am

Well Finally the Fixture has been released.
Nairne V's Ashbourne. You would think Nairne would win this Quite comfortably. Always tough to know what the Pom's will be like for Ashbourne. Nairne's Bowling Stocks a little Depleted to Start with, Although With Mitch Hein and Harden they could take all the wickets themselves.
Woodside V's Langhorne. Woodside to win without breaking a sweat, only hope for Langhorne Creek is Goldy, When he is on with his bowling there is not much doubt he's one of the best in the Comp.
Lobethal V's Strath. Game of the round this one. I feel strath will have to much depth in all departments, Both Abbot's might be to much to handle for the top order of lobey. Look for the spinners to clean up the tail. Lobey a bit of unknown, get rid of the best all rounder at the club is a interesting move. Good to see they will play young guys, but it might affect them in the short term. Strath to win in a tight affair.
Dont Hate me cause you Aint me.
Ramrod
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby jackpot jim » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:48 am

Yep, 3 obvious favorites to kick off the A Grade season in A&EHCA on Saturday.
Nairne will have some real challenges this season i think. With the game at Ashbourne, an upset is always on the cards. Yes, a lot will depend on the quality of Ashbournes English recruits along with ace spinner Fowlston who could test Nairnes impatient batting line up.
Nairne to win but .....................

Woodsides bowling has been bolstered by reports but batting could still be hit or miss.
Creeks will field a very competitive team this week despite missing their captain and State Country representative Johnson with a knee injury preventing him playing for the 1st month.
Woodside to win but a side that contains matchwinners like Golding and past perennial A&EHCA player of the year Warren along with a handful of talented enthusiastic juniors cant be dismissed lightly.

Strath simply looks too balanced for Lobethal and the hunger to see them go 1 better this year should see them with a workmanlike win over Lobey 1st up.

Nairne may well go on and win a 7th straight flag this season but certainly wont have it all their own way thats for sure.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:58 pm

I think there might be an upset or two this round with teams out of match practice and unable to field their best line ups.

I will definitely back Strath against Lobey this week and based on last years performance and the hunger Jackpot spoke of, I think they will put up a serious challenge for the flag. Lobethal have a lot of young talented players around the club but how many will play in this league and how many will play in Adelaide is the big question. They have a few old hands to steady the ship in a time of crisis and so may be quite a balanced and effective unit. Straths pre season training efforts have been super human to say the least (check out the video on their website) and I think they won't want to let that hard work go to waste.
Strath to win this one

Woodside with a bolstered bowling attack and a fresh outlook on life will be out to prove a point this season and will be extremely competitive at the top end of the ladder. They have been known to have a few memorable batting collapses however and as such I wouldn't write the Creek off with Goldy and Warren coming into the team. Creaks also have a few old stallwarts and a 'handful of talented juniors' (Quote - Jackpot Jim). I also suspect the Creeks have not revealed all their cards and will have a few more surprises to unveil on Saturday.
Creeks to win in an upset.

The Ashbourne Nairne Game looms as the match of the round for mine with Ashbourne finishing strongly last season and seemingly improving in each year they compete in A Grade. The English recruits (assuming they have any) will be a key however several long term players at the club have the real potential to do a lot of damage with bat and ball. Potential however, must to be translated into on field performance for the Bulls to make finals this year. Little needs to be said about Nairne as their record says it all, however Nairne is prone to some shaky form early in the season and that coupled with a few injuries to key players at the moment will play into Ashbourne's hands, especially on their home turf.
Ashbourne to win in a close one.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:51 pm

saintal wrote:Thanks FH!

Seniors: Yes, mix of two dayers and one dayers for this season in the A’s. Was a close 5-4 vote in support of keeping two dayers.

Juniors: Currently Palmer play their U15s in the MTCA, Birdwood have U16s and U14s playing in the AEHCA, while I believe Gum will also have an U14s this year in the AEHCA. So there are a small number of U14s/U16s teams around, but obviously not enough for a TVCA comp.

Lenswood, Paracombe, Birdwood and Springton have U12s. I’m unsure whether or not Cambrai will be having a side, while Mt Torrens and EV won’t be.

Talk of amalgamating/combining resources has been raised at a few delegates meetings, but obviously hasn’t happened as yet. Put in the too hard basket? I get the impression that Birdwood attract a few from towns without U14/16s, whilst from a Lenswood point of view we have a number of local 12-15yos playing at Lobethal as most play footy there also. Frustrating.

It’s a fair point re: the footy. Although Kersbrook had both SCs and JCs with footy this year, yet cannot muster 11 cricketers at any grade which is disappointing.

Quality cricketers between the ages of 18 and 25 are few in the comp, so for longevity it needs another generation coming through.

Hi Saintal was trying to find some history on a couple of the TVCA clubs. Can you give me a brief round down on whats happened to Kersbrook? Also Springton didn't they many years ago stand alone? Brief history on them and Mt Pleasant. Last amazed towns like Palmer and Eden Valley have cricket clubs but no footy can you enlighten me? Thanks in advance.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby saintal » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:35 am

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:Hi Saintal was trying to find some history on a couple of the TVCA clubs. Can you give me a brief round down on whats happened to Kersbrook? Also Springton didn't they many years ago stand alone? Brief history on them and Mt Pleasant. Last amazed towns like Palmer and Eden Valley have cricket clubs but no footy can you enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

I've played in the TVCA since the mid 90s, can’t comment prior to that.

Kersbrook- folded after the 09/10 season. Not many clubs can say their last ever match was an A Grade GF. Made a lot of A Grade GFs through the 00s but couldn't knock off Lobey. Also won some A2 flags during this time, but in their final few seasons they could only manage one side so that depth disappeared. Had a bit of an older side when they did fold, and it sounds like nobody out that way is interested in getting the club back up and running, which is disappointing. Always had the impression when you played them that they were a bunch of footballers just passing time until winter rolled around. Had some talent though, and it was always a novelty playing against guys like the James brothers, Stewie Dew, and other random Norwood footballers.

Mt Pleasant/Springton- Can’t tell you when these clubs merged. Before my time. After a 3 year recess the club returned last season to win the B grade, and will field A's, B's and U12s this season which is a great effort. All games now played at Springton, which is a bit of a shame as Mt Pleasant was probably the best oval in the comp during the 90s/early 00s but it hasn't been used for a long time. Made an A grade GF in the early 00s I think, and were always competitive when the Vivians were playing.

Palmer- Also went into recess for a period of time during the past 20 years, but have a strong club now with some excellent juniors coming through. I get the impression majority of their players are locals, so aren't relying on too many from mannum or murray bridge etc which is good for longevity. Community orientated club who attract the support of the town.

Eden Valley- Bulk of their players are in the 28-40 age bracket, so what the future holds is anybody's guess. No juniors and no school in the area. Draw a few players from the larger Barossa towns.

Same could be said for another town without footy, Lenswood. We're surviving but hardly thriving, relying too much on ‘out-of-towners’ to fill two sides. Ditto Mt Torrens, although at least they have a footy club that they can work with.

Houghton are the other club have folded in the past decade, while Mannum used to play in our comp also until the early 00’s. Lobethal and Woodside obviously defected a few years ago.

The league has certainly changed over the past 15-20 years, with the departure/folding of a few clubs, the huge decline of junior cricket and an overall weakening of the standard. But it’s still kicking along with 9 clubs and remains an enjoyable league to play in.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:53 am

saintal wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:Hi Saintal was trying to find some history on a couple of the TVCA clubs. Can you give me a brief round down on whats happened to Kersbrook? Also Springton didn't they many years ago stand alone? Brief history on them and Mt Pleasant. Last amazed towns like Palmer and Eden Valley have cricket clubs but no footy can you enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

I've played in the TVCA since the mid 90s, can’t comment prior to that.

Kersbrook- folded after the 09/10 season. Not many clubs can say their last ever match was an A Grade GF. Made a lot of A Grade GFs through the 00s but couldn't knock off Lobey. Also won some A2 flags during this time, but in their final few seasons they could only manage one side so that depth disappeared. Had a bit of an older side when they did fold, and it sounds like nobody out that way is interested in getting the club back up and running, which is disappointing. Always had the impression when you played them that they were a bunch of footballers just passing time until winter rolled around. Had some talent though, and it was always a novelty playing against guys like the James brothers, Stewie Dew, and other random Norwood footballers.

Mt Pleasant/Springton- Can’t tell you when these clubs merged. Before my time. After a 3 year recess the club returned last season to win the B grade, and will field A's, B's and U12s this season which is a great effort. All games now played at Springton, which is a bit of a shame as Mt Pleasant was probably the best oval in the comp during the 90s/early 00s but it hasn't been used for a long time. Made an A grade GF in the early 00s I think, and were always competitive when the Vivians were playing.

Palmer- Also went into recess for a period of time during the past 20 years, but have a strong club now with some excellent juniors coming through. I get the impression majority of their players are locals, so aren't relying on too many from mannum or murray bridge etc which is good for longevity. Community orientated club who attract the support of the town.

Eden Valley- Bulk of their players are in the 28-40 age bracket, so what the future holds is anybody's guess. No juniors and no school in the area. Draw a few players from the larger Barossa towns.

Same could be said for another town without footy, Lenswood. We're surviving but hardly thriving, relying too much on ‘out-of-towners’ to fill two sides. Ditto Mt Torrens, although at least they have a footy club that they can work with.

Houghton are the other club have folded in the past decade, while Mannum used to play in our comp also until the early 00’s. Lobethal and Woodside obviously defected a few years ago.

The league has certainly changed over the past 15-20 years, with the departure/folding of a few clubs, the huge decline of junior cricket and an overall weakening of the standard. But it’s still kicking along with 9 clubs and remains an enjoyable league to play in.

thank you again most enlightening
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:16 am

A few extras to saintal's post

Not sure exactly when Springton merged with Mount Pleasant, but Springton definitely won an A-Grade flag in the mid-late 80's. Don't think Mount Pleasant ever have, or Kersbrook either.

Paracombe went into recess from about 82 to 89. During the 93/94 season there was a split within the club and Houghton was formed the following year.

Mannum going to Murray Bridge always felt like the start of the decline of the TVCA because they always fielded teams that were around the finals and provided that competition Lobey and Woodside were looking for. Assuming it has probably helped in the resurrection of Palmer?

Interesting how some teams have either footy or cricket teams. Agree with saintal that footy has always been Kersbrook's number one priority, Paracombe the opposite with plenty of junior cricketers, but not many who played footy. Given their locations, you'd think each may be beneficial for the other.

There was also Williamstown who became Barossa Districts, but they may have moved or folded in the early 90's. Saintal may recall if Williamstown briefly re-emerge on the early 2000's in lower grades?

Recall seeing fixtures from the early 80's where there were that many teams there were two separate junior comps based on geographic area. When I started playing it was in a team called "Junior Colts" which was basically extras from the U/16's teams, but a lot of us were under 10 at the time and we played at the Lobethal Lutheran school oval every week.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby saintal » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:04 am

Enjoyed your post FH.

Correct, no A Grade flag for Kersbrook. Not sure on Mt Pleasant.

Yes, Mannum were a loss, and you're correct in saying that it was around that time that Palmer re-emerged so this may have played a part.

I'm very certain there hasn't been a Williamstown presence in my time playing in TVCA.

Lobethal Lutheran Oval. Brings back memories of being hit for about 30 off an over as a kid playing one of my first B grade games.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:32 am

Cambrai have picked up a talented young fast bowler from Light Pass, will take alot of wickets id imagine, not sure how committed he will be though. Chucks em down at a good click
Eden Valley have picked up a batsman/leg spinner from Angaston who will go very well, thats if he pays his subs for the last 2 years
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:23 pm

saintal wrote:Enjoyed your post FH.

Correct, no A Grade flag for Kersbrook. Not sure on Mt Pleasant.

Yes, Mannum were a loss, and you're correct in saying that it was around that time that Palmer re-emerged so this may have played a part.

I'm very certain there hasn't been a Williamstown presence in my time playing in TVCA.

Lobethal Lutheran Oval. Brings back memories of being hit for about 30 off an over as a kid playing one of my first B grade games.

:lol: I bet. Also Mount Torrens Primary school they used for senior games and that was ridiculous. Had to make at least 400. Thankfully never played there.
Lobey Primary School was even smaller, played juniors there one day, not sure if they ever played senior cricket.
And Birdwood High School, though a more normal sized oval felt on a bigger hill than the town oval.
Needed ovals coming out our arses in those days.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:13 am

FlyingHigh wrote:A few extras to saintal's post

Not sure exactly when Springton merged with Mount Pleasant, but Springton definitely won an A-Grade flag in the mid-late 80's. Don't think Mount Pleasant ever have, or Kersbrook either.

Paracombe went into recess from about 82 to 89. During the 93/94 season there was a split within the club and Houghton was formed the following year.

Mannum going to Murray Bridge always felt like the start of the decline of the TVCA because they always fielded teams that were around the finals and provided that competition Lobey and Woodside were looking for. Assuming it has probably helped in the resurrection of Palmer?

Interesting how some teams have either footy or cricket teams. Agree with saintal that footy has always been Kersbrook's number one priority, Paracombe the opposite with plenty of junior cricketers, but not many who played footy. Given their locations, you'd think each may be beneficial for the other.

There was also Williamstown who became Barossa Districts, but they may have moved or folded in the early 90's. Saintal may recall if Williamstown briefly re-emerge on the early 2000's in lower grades?

Recall seeing fixtures from the early 80's where there were that many teams there were two separate junior comps based on geographic area. When I started playing it was in a team called "Junior Colts" which was basically extras from the U/16's teams, but a lot of us were under 10 at the time and we played at the Lobethal Lutheran school oval every week.

Thanks for that FH and Saintal for adding too.
Forgot about Williamstown, know in footy they and Lyndoch amalgamated to form Barossa Dist but see Lyndoch still play cricket under their own in the Barossa league.
Had memories of Springton winning but couldn't tell you the year's but the 80's wouldn't surprise me.
Pity about Mt Pleasant oval, can remember it built back in the mid 70's based on the same size as Footy Pk with the 1 metre slope from the centre to the boundary and costing apparently $250,000. Can any one tell where the old oval they used prior to that one was? Went looking for it a couple of years ago but couldn't find any evidence of it. Vaguely remember it having the clubrooms down one end near the goals and a slight slope heading away to the other end and it being down a side road.
How many teams did Mannum normally have?
Know Palmer had a footy team up til 1973/74 and Pleasant Valley footy club being called that because Mt Pleasant amalgamated with Eden Valley.
Can remember Lenswood playing in the Hills League in the 80's and having a strong club with I think 3 teams at one point.
Did Woodside Army ever put a team in like they did in footy? May be well before your time.
Lastly why do Woodside ( 4 or 5 teams over the years ) and to a lesser degree Lobethal have so many teams especially with Woodside not having a footy team and competition from Onkaparinga as well?
Again many thanks for the info.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby Jimmy Recard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:35 am

Frillnecks will have to be favourites in the A2 this season, especially with the return of their 2 overseas - Back to Back was just too much of an inspiration for the boys to stay at home!!! #frillnecks2014/15 #backtoback #f. #fanager
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint,
The greats were great because they paint a lot.
Jimmy Recard
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:45 am

Jimmy Recard wrote:Frillnecks will have to be favourites in the A2 this season, especially with the return of their 2 overseas - Back to Back was just too much of an inspiration for the boys to stay at home!!! #frillnecks2014/15 #backtoback #f. #fanager

Echunga coming up to A2s after winning the B Grade Premiership will be strong as they have also picked up half the Callington A2 Grand Final team. Another to watch will be the 2 pussy clubs - Mt. Barker with gun recruit Rhys Jordon, and Hahndorf coming down from A1s.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:I think there might be an upset or two this round with teams out of match practice and unable to field their best line ups.

I will definitely back Strath against Lobey this week and based on last years performance and the hunger Jackpot spoke of, I think they will put up a serious challenge for the flag. Lobethal have a lot of young talented players around the club but how many will play in this league and how many will play in Adelaide is the big question. They have a few old hands to steady the ship in a time of crisis and so may be quite a balanced and effective unit. Straths pre season training efforts have been super human to say the least (check out the video on their website) and I think they won't want to let that hard work go to waste.
Strath to win this one

Woodside with a bolstered bowling attack and a fresh outlook on life will be out to prove a point this season and will be extremely competitive at the top end of the ladder. They have been known to have a few memorable batting collapses however and as such I wouldn't write the Creek off with Goldy and Warren coming into the team. Creaks also have a few old stallwarts and a 'handful of talented juniors' (Quote - Jackpot Jim). I also suspect the Creeks have not revealed all their cards and will have a few more surprises to unveil on Saturday.
Creeks to win in an upset.

The Ashbourne Nairne Game looms as the match of the round for mine with Ashbourne finishing strongly last season and seemingly improving in each year they compete in A Grade. The English recruits (assuming they have any) will be a key however several long term players at the club have the real potential to do a lot of damage with bat and ball. Potential however, must to be translated into on field performance for the Bulls to make finals this year. Little needs to be said about Nairne as their record says it all, however Nairne is prone to some shaky form early in the season and that coupled with a few injuries to key players at the moment will play into Ashbourne's hands, especially on their home turf.
Ashbourne to win in a close one.

Lobey appeared to beat Strath comfortably with several contributors to the batting whereas Strath had but 3 players in double figures only 2 who made it past 20. A dynamic pre-season wasted perhaps? Ashbourne had Nairne in trouble, then they didn't, then they did, then they didn't, then they did and eventually they got spanked thanks to a magnificent partnership and individual innings by the Heinrich boys. Woodside Vs Creeks game is not yet posted with the scores but with my current tipping form I imagine Woodside won giving me the grand total of 0/3 for round one. Oh well tis the start of the season and there is plenty of room for improvement in that effort.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 am

Creeks 9/102 (34 overs) Batted 1 short due to Warren arriving 3 hours late due to being held up at a speaking engagement. Got to speak 2 hours after he was scheduled to do so. Disappointing effort after being 2/72 Golding with 37 looked in good form. Woodside Comfortably reeled in the target tho were 5 down when passed the score and were 9/129 b4 finishing their 40 overs on 9/164
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:24 am

jackpot jim wrote:Creeks 9/102 (34 overs) Batted 1 short due to Warren arriving 3 hours late due to being held up at a speaking engagement. Got to speak 2 hours after he was scheduled to do so. Disappointing effort after being 2/72 Golding with 37 looked in good form. Woodside Comfortably reeled in the target tho were 5 down when passed the score and were 9/129 b4 finishing their 40 overs on 9/164

Good effort by Creeks. Warren could have been the difference.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:12 am

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:Thanks for that FH and Saintal for adding too.
Forgot about Williamstown, know in footy they and Lyndoch amalgamated to form Barossa Dist but see Lyndoch still play cricket under their own in the Barossa league.
Had memories of Springton winning but couldn't tell you the year's but the 80's wouldn't surprise me.
Pity about Mt Pleasant oval, can remember it built back in the mid 70's based on the same size as Footy Pk with the 1 metre slope from the centre to the boundary and costing apparently $250,000. Can any one tell where the old oval they used prior to that one was? Went looking for it a couple of years ago but couldn't find any evidence of it. Vaguely remember it having the clubrooms down one end near the goals and a slight slope heading away to the other end and it being down a side road.
Know Palmer had a footy team up til 1973/74 and Pleasant Valley footy club being called that because Mt Pleasant amalgamated with Eden Valley.
Can remember Lenswood playing in the Hills League in the 80's and having a strong club with I think 3 teams at one point.
Did Woodside Army ever put a team in like they did in footy? May be well before your time.
Lastly why do Woodside ( 4 or 5 teams over the years ) and to a lesser degree Lobethal have so many teams especially with Woodside not having a footy team and competition from Onkaparinga as well?

Can't recall the exact year Springton won, but Wayne Prior played for them that year.

Don't know where the old Mt Pleasant Oval was, but behind the far-end pub and up near the hospital is a road called Showgrounds Road. May still be sales yards there and primary school nearby, so maybe it was there somewhere. Is a pity about Mt Pleasant Oval, because it was a great oval in it's day with nearly all the GF's played there, and have fond memories as a kid of all grades presentations in the club rooms afterwards. Seemed to recall a story about the bloke who maintained it having a falling out with the Barossa Council when Councils merged?

Mannum seemed to have a 3 or 4 teams most years, and may even have two A2's teams at one stage. Woodside and Paracombe had a couple of b-grade teams some years.

I can't recall playing against Lenswood in the late 80's, so perhaps they were in the Hills league. Paracombe joined/rejoined TV in the mid-70's after playing in an association that ran across the front of the hills, and perhaps Lenswood may have played there too? In the TV early 90's they certainly had an aura of a dynasty team about them with Plummer and Kuiper etc, though they did miss the finals in 94/95. Did they win flags afterwards saintal?

Lobey probably had the population advantage of other teams, whilst Woodside always seemed to have a very good cricket program throughout their club.

Which Brownlow Medallist played for Gumeracha in the early 90's?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Cougar » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:43 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:Thanks for that FH and Saintal for adding too.

Can't recall the exact year Springton won, but Wayne Prior played for them that year.

Don't know where the old Mt Pleasant Oval was, but behind the far-end pub and up near the hospital is a road called Showgrounds Road. May still be sales yards there and primary school nearby, so maybe it was there somewhere. Is a pity about Mt Pleasant Oval, because it was a great oval in it's day with nearly all the GF's played there, and have fond memories as a kid of all grades presentations in the club rooms afterwards. Seemed to recall a story about the bloke who maintained it having a falling out with the Barossa Council when Councils merged?

Mannum seemed to have a 3 or 4 teams most years, and may even have two A2's teams at one stage. Woodside and Paracombe had a couple of b-grade teams some years.

I can't recall playing against Lenswood in the late 80's, so perhaps they were in the Hills league. Paracombe joined/rejoined TV in the mid-70's after playing in an association that ran across the front of the hills, and perhaps Lenswood may have played there too? In the TV early 90's they certainly had an aura of a dynasty team about them with Plummer and Kuiper etc, though they did miss the finals in 94/95. Did they win flags afterwards saintal?

Lobey probably had the population advantage of other teams, whilst Woodside always seemed to have a very good cricket program throughout their club.

Which Brownlow Medallist played for Gumeracha in the early 90's?

Nathan Buckley
Cougar
League - Best 21

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps