Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon 2014

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Brodlach wrote:From Damien Barrett
"@barrettdamian: Winderlich wants out. Wants fresh start, new club, demoralised by drugs saga. I believe he is not facing show-cause notice @traderadio @AFL"

That was reported Wednesday, at the B&F he said he hasnt made a decision yet but would sit down with the club in the coming weeks
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Brodlach » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Jim05 wrote:
"@barrettdamian: Winderlich wants out. Wants fresh start, new club, demoralised by drugs saga. I believe he is not facing show-cause notice @traderadio @AFL"

That was reported Wednesday, at the B&F he said he hasnt made a decision yet but would sit down with the club in the coming weeks

Maybe he has now made up his mind as the Age is reporting he wants to go to Richmond
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Maybe he has now made up his mind as the Age is reporting he wants to go to Richmond

Would be sad to see him go, probably got 1 or 2 years left in him. Still contracted for another year so hopefully a third round pick for him
Jim05
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:50 pm

And Irishman Elliot Kavanagh wants out of Essendon too.
Funny how its being reported that if Hird gets sacked players will leave, it looks quite the opposite
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:06 pm

daysofourlives wrote:And Irishman Elliot Kavanagh wants out of Essendon too.
Funny how its being reported that if Hird gets sacked players will leave, it looks quite the opposite

He isnt an irishman, he is a plodder from our VFL side. Played about 4 or 5 games in 2 years. Would be looking for better opportunities. Disappointing but not as big of a loss as Winders
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Winders has asked the club to release him from his year remaining on his contract or try to arrange a suitable trade with Richmond. Either way we should end up with a 3rd round pick
Jim05
Coach

Postby CoverKing » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:27 pm

Jim05 wrote:Winders has asked the club to release him from his year remaining on his contract or try to arrange a suitable trade with Richmond. Either way we should end up with a 3rd round pick

No chance of getting a third round pick for him if he does get released and join us as a free agent. If Carlton got nothing for Waite, doubt youll get a 3rd round pick for Winderlich
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Essendon 2014

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:45 pm

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ano ... 0r1mw.html

Another Bomber wants out; Jason Winderlich wants to play on with Tigers
October 6, 2014 - 8:16PM
By EMMA QUAYLE
EXCLUSIVE

Jason Winderlich has asked Essendon to release him from his contract for next season so that he can play on with Richmond.

Winderlich, who announced his retirement late in the season and played out the year in rejuvenated form, has received an offer from the Tigers to continue his career there.

Like Paddy Ryder, who has asked the Bombers to trade him to Port Adelaide, Winderlich has asked the the club to allow him a fresh start elsewhere as he nears the end of his career.

It is understood that the 29-year-old did not participate in the club's supplements program and is not among the players to have received a show cause notice, but that he believes he only has a year or two left in his body and would like to play out his career in a less uncertain environment.

Winderlich triggered a contract extension with the Bombers this year, and consequently did not appear on the list of unrestricted free agents distributed to clubs recently.

It means Richmond would have to trade for him, or that Essendon could release him from the contract extension and allow him to join the Tigers with more ease.

In that scenario Essendon – currently restricted to picks 20, 50 and 68 in the national draft because of the club's draft penalties – would receive compensation for Winderlich's departure.

A life member and much-loved player at Essendon, Winderlich's contractual situation is similar to that faced by Nick Dal Santo, North Melbourne and St Kilda at the end of last season.

Dal Santo triggered a contract extension to remain at the Saints at the end of the 2013 season, but the club agreed to release him from that contract so that he could join North.

The Bombers again met with Port Adelaide on Monday, but moved no closer to negotiating a deal that would allow Ryder to join the Power next year.

There is a strong chance the Ryder case may end up at the AFL's grievance tribunal, where Ryder would argue the Bombers breached their duty of care in exposing him to the supplements program that has seen 34 players issued with show-cause notices.

Port Adelaide is offering its first-round draft pick, but Essendon has said it wants an established senior player in return for the 26-year-old ruckman who finished seventh in the club's best and fairest.

The club has unsuccessfully inquired after a handful of Power players, and also asked the club to try and involve a third team, and a top-quality midfielder, in the trade.

Essendon's problem is that no other club can see how it could talk an established, contracted player into signing on with the Bombers given the current uncertain environment there.

In other news, midfielder Elliott Kavanagh has told the Bombers he may examine other options, having struggled to break into the senior side in his three years there.

However the club - which has been able to re-sign the majority of its players in the past two years despite its ongoing troubles - hopes to soon finalise a deal with onballer Ben Howlett.

Winderlich has played 128 games in 12 years and overcome a number of major setbacks in his time with the Bombers, including a career-threatening back problem, a knee reconstruction and numerous soft tissue injuries.

"I've enjoyed every single minute during my time here at Essendon," he said when announcing his retirement in August.

"I would have been honoured to play the one game, so to pull on the jumper for 12 years has been an absolute privilege."
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:48 pm

CoverKing wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Winders has asked the club to release him from his year remaining on his contract or try to arrange a suitable trade with Richmond. Either way we should end up with a 3rd round pick

No chance of getting a third round pick for him if he does get released and join us as a free agent. If Carlton got nothing for Waite, doubt youll get a 3rd round pick for Winderlich

By the sounds of the article ive posted above we would get compensation no matter which way he gets to Richmond
Jim05
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Kavanaugh and Winderlich are not huge losses in my opinion. Obviously not great but easily coverable. Ryder is the hard one to cover assuming he gets out. Howlett whilst not huge would be a decent loss so the bombers need to make sure they sign him.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:01 pm

stan wrote:Kavanaugh and Winderlich are not huge losses in my opinion. Obviously not great but easily coverable. Ryder is the hard one to cover assuming he gets out. Howlett whilst not huge would be a decent loss so the bombers need to make sure they sign him.

Agreed, sad to lose Winders but he is nearing the end and struggles to string more than a handful of games together due to injury. Kav is pretty average, hasnt been able to break into our ordinary side this year, believe Adelaide are looking at him and one other club. Ryder is a huge loss and we cant replace him. Howlett isnt the best but he gives his all and performs a role each week, hope he stays.
The concern for us is signing anyone new, who would want to come in our present state? I do know of one player that was interested at first but has decided it will all be too hard and chosen a lower side instead
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:39 am

Winderlich, he'll be just perfect for Richmond.... :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby stan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:Kavanaugh and Winderlich are not huge losses in my opinion. Obviously not great but easily coverable. Ryder is the hard one to cover assuming he gets out. Howlett whilst not huge would be a decent loss so the bombers need to make sure they sign him.

Agreed, sad to lose Winders but he is nearing the end and struggles to string more than a handful of games together due to injury. Kav is pretty average, hasnt been able to break into our ordinary side this year, believe Adelaide are looking at him and one other club. Ryder is a huge loss and we cant replace him. Howlett isnt the best but he gives his all and performs a role each week, hope he stays.
The concern for us is signing anyone new, who would want to come in our present state? I do know of one player that was interested at first but has decided it will all be too hard and chosen a lower side instead

Yes moving from Essendon to Richmond is interesting at his stage of his career.

Your statement about someone new is correct, would be very hard to attract free agents base don the current climate. And perhaps if you made some additions like you have in the past you may of had a shot at a top 4 in years to come, but with these issues and the draft sanctions, it seems that's no on the agenda now. I would say just getting things back to normal would be main goal at this stage.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:22 pm

LMAO these bozos are going to keep Hird.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:33 pm

I hope they do as Caro will hate it!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3563 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:53 pm

I hope they do as it will be an even bigger circus week by week. Essendon under Thompson looked like they could be getting somewhere - under Hird there'll be even more distraction, it will revert to being about him & not the team & the club will be in even further free fall.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5522 times
Been liked: 5156 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:54 pm

I wonder if this will impact on the club maintaining and attracting sponsorship $$$$
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11912 times
Been liked: 3627 times

Postby Fricky » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Could be interesting times ahead
- Essendon keep Hird on board
- Thompson goes to Gold Coast
- Hird loses appeal, players get banned, Hird loses job
- Gets to Decemeber and Essendon dont have a head coach.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby dedja » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:02 pm

- and the Board resigns of shame
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times