APPS New recruiting rules - Your thoughts?

Adelaide Footy League Talk

APPS New recruiting rules - Your thoughts?

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:22 pm

New rules set by the CFB in relation to how many players can be recruited from the one club - Discuss.

10.3A - Transfers between Clubs – Limit

10.3A.1 Subject to Regulations 10.3A.2 and 10.3A.3, an Affiliated League Club may refuse a Clearance for a player if three (3) players have previously transferred from the Club with which the player is currently registered (‘the Current Club’) to the same Affiliated League Club (‘the Transferring Club’) in the current season.

10.3A.2 The Current Club and the Transferring Club may, if both Clubs agree, determine that Regulation 10.3A.1 will not apply.

10.3A.3 A player who has previously played 25 or more matches for the Transferring Club shall not be included for the purposes of Regulation 10.3A.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Re: APPS New recruiting rules - Your thoughts?

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:25 pm

The rest of the APPS rules, for those playing at home.
Attachments
APPENDIX 4 only of July 2014 Rules Regs .pdf
(331.28 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby RooShootOhh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:35 pm

So basically, you cant take (unless they want you to have) 4 players from one club (not including players returning to a previous club where they played 25+ games) in one year.

Not a huge change to what prob already happens as it stands. using 3 point players as the standard, if your Ammo club had its full 15 points to fill, thats 4/5 players from one place, I wouldn't think that would happen all too often. Most country clubs dont have the full allocation of 15 so this could represent its full recruitment for the season, again it wouldn't happen too often.

I think the rule was intended to stop a max exedous from leaving one club, but often, like Kilburn this year, its players spread out far and wide, therefor the rule doesnt work...

What it does potentially do is stop blokes who just want to play with their mates at one club, but again, this would be rare and would only matter if the clubs tried to block it.

its ok that they have written it there, not sure it will actually come into play all that often!
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby jo172 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:38 pm

This isn't as much an "APPS rule" as it is a Community Football Board Regulation.

You can see what they're trying to do, but I think it's a bit of hitting a nail with a sledgehammer. Enabling Clubs (if they wanted to be wankers about it) stopping 3 C Graders from joining another Club's D Grade is a bit over the top.

It's also particularly concerning that whether I would have a right of appeal (as a player) from my clearance being rejected under this provision is unclear.

In any event, on the face of it it's also quite likely an unlawful restraint of trade (not that running such a case would be economically viable).
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:40 pm

I also note that a simple way to avoid this rule is to go to a Third Club.

That is, if I want to transfer from SPOC to Uni, but 3 people this season already have and SPOC doesn't want to let anyone else transfer, there's nothing in the new 10.3A to prevent me clearing from SPOC to Walkerville to Uni as Walkerville would become the "current club"
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:44 pm

jo172 wrote:I also note that a simple way to avoid this rule is to go to a Third Club.

That is, if I want to transfer from SPOC to Uni, but 3 people this season already have and SPOC doesn't want to let anyone else transfer, there's nothing in the new 10.3A to prevent me clearing from SPOC to Walkerville to Uni as Walkerville would become the "current club"

Isn't there a rule that if a player wants to move club's a 2nd time in the same season the the original club must also give a clearance.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:49 pm

heater31 wrote:
jo172 wrote:I also note that a simple way to avoid this rule is to go to a Third Club.

Isn't there a rule that if a player wants to move club's a 2nd time in the same season the the original club must also give a clearance.....

From memory you're right, although I can't find it anywhere at the moment.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Boosh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:20 pm

heater31 wrote:

You are always graded on what you played the previous season so I think that would apply here too.

Otherwise as it stands you could transfer into a SAAFL club as a 3 pointer play no games and transfer to another SAAFL club as 2 points.

I agree with an earlier post that the player needs an avenue to appeal. We exchange a lot of players with Port District and Portland mostly in the lower grades, sometimes in our favour and other times not in our favour but it usually balances out over a longer period.

This could be affected by that rule and it would impact lower grades more so than higher grades.

A case in point would be that we cleared probably 5 or 6 to Rosewater this year, now only one of those would have played B Grade or higher for us and once they were financial they were cleared but we could have held them based on this rule which would have been unfair.

It also prevents us recruiting 5 or 6 from Goodwood's A Grade this year, I hear they go alright.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Q. » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:32 pm

^^^ you make a good point, this is probably only penalising the players in low grades who want a change in scenery.

And assumes that most blokes only have two mates.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Boosh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Q. wrote:^^^ you make a good point, this is probably only penalising the players in low grades who want a change in scenery.

And assumes that most blokes only have two mates.

Well if a club wanted 4 from another club they would clear them in order of ability so the lower you get the more likely you would lose out.

Unfortunately I would be the last cleared in this circumstance but luckily for me I don't have many friends.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:50 pm

How does the points system work in the SAAFL for clubs that do not have junior grades or feeder schools?
What are clubs like Adelaide University, Central United, Flinders University, Greenacres, Houghton Districts, Mawson Lakes, North Pines, Smithfield & Wingfield Royals going to be able to do as their current groups retire off?
The clubs with juniors and the old scholars bloc are pretty obvious, but what rules are in place for the University clubs. Do the other clubs with no juniors have to rely on a minimum of recruits and then newbies?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby HH3 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:52 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:How does the points system work in the SAAFL for clubs that do not have junior grades or feeder schools?
What are clubs like Adelaide University, Central United, Flinders University, Greenacres, Houghton Districts, Mawson Lakes, North Pines, Smithfield & Wingfield Royals going to be able to do as their current groups retire off?
The clubs with juniors and the old scholars bloc are pretty obvious, but what rules are in place for the University clubs. Do the other clubs with no juniors have to rely on a minimum of recruits and then newbies?

I dont think many teams have huge chunks of players retiring or leaving at the end of every year. If you bring in 4 to 5 new players from elsewhere every year, you'll be fine. The chances of all of them coming from the same club are pretty slim.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:05 pm

HH3 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:How does the points system work in the SAAFL for clubs that do not have junior grades or feeder schools?

I dont think many teams have huge chunks of players retiring or leaving at the end of every year. If you bring in 4 to 5 new players from elsewhere every year, you'll be fine. The chances of all of them coming from the same club are pretty slim.

15 points = 5 x 3 point players in Year 1, following season those are still worth 10 points before you start. Effectively could only bring in 1 or 2 each year there after.

Lose a couple of zero pointers for whatever reason and things would be awkward, unless you play your recruits in the B-Grade for a few years to get their points down.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby X Runna » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Hopefully some of them do everyone a favour & fold
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Q. » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Damn, what will we do when the dozen or so fifty yr old players decide to finally hang up the boots.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:10 am

Footy Chick wrote:The rest of the APPS rules, for those playing at home.

I see that anyone who has played the majority B Grade and played an A Grade game in the past 2 years is now worth a minimum of 1 point....except if they transfer within the same division.
Doesn't make sense to me that a B Grader from Goody Saints (who played 1 A Grade game in the past 2 years) can go to Henley for 0 points but if he goes to Unley he is worth 1 point.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby HH3 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:12 am

Mr Beefy wrote:

I see that anyone who has played the majority B Grade and played an A Grade game in the past 2 years is now worth a minimum of 1 point....except if they transfer within the same division.
Doesn't make sense to me that a B Grader from Goody Saints (who played 1 A Grade game in the past 2 years) can go to Henley for 0 points but if he goes to Unley he is worth 1 point.

Probably so you can't recruit a ton of Div 1 B graders to fill a Div 3, 4, or 5 A grade.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:15 am

HH3 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:

Probably so you can't recruit a ton of Div 1 B graders to fill a Div 3, 4, or 5 A grade.

Spread the talent I say
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Boosh » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:49 am

Mr Beefy wrote:

The rich get richer so on and so forth
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Postby sideview » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:15 pm

I thought it has now changed to 13 points max.
sideview
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Meadows

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League