Penalties for paying players in the SAAFL

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Penalties for paying players in the SAAFL

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:03 am

Hey guys. Have any of you guys heard about the proposed new penalties for clubs in the SAAFL and other leagues when it comes to paying players under the table??
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Penalties for paying players in the SAAFL

Postby jo172 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:12 am

Yep, papering up a whole in the wall.

Anyone who couldn't get around it lacks creativity.

And even those who do lack creativity and get caught take a quick google of the DPP and Police Prosecutions current budgetary issues. They don't have the time to investigate/prosecute breaches of the Oaths Act for footy clubs.

The more effective penalties will/would apply at League/Community Football Board level in terms of suspending Coaches/Presidents etc. and penalising clubs with points/demotions. Would take a lot of investigative effort though.

Good luck to them though, very hard to disagree with what they're trying to do in principle.

*I should add I only know what the Advertiser told me, based on prior dealings with the Advertiser there's a very reasonable chance I'm completely misinformed.
Last edited by jo172 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:14 am

there was something in Adelaide Now - can someone post it - I CBF.

Hard to police, especially in the case of a lot of college clubs that don't pay players but allegedly find them cushy jobs and other such schemes.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:16 am

I quote from an article I read in the Advertiser. "Football club officials will likely have to sign statutory declarations making under-the-table payments illegal as part of a statewide cap on player wages from 2016".

"The SA Community Football Board, which oversees the state’s community and country competitions, is developing a limit on how much teams can pay a player following a raft of complaints from leagues that excessive match payments are killing clubs".

"Board chairman David Shipway said compelling club officials to sign statutory declarations and docking premiership points if players were paid more than a set amount would make teams accountable for what they spent".

“There are also tax implications if committee members are aware of and participating in paying players under the lap or the old brown paper bags".

"In May, amateur football league chief executive John Kernahan and River Murray Football League president Mick O’Hara told The Advertiser they would not be surprised if squad wages across the state’s 277 clubs totalled $20 million, as some spent up to $200,000 on players per season".

"An unprecedented number of suburban Adelaide clubs found themselves in dire trouble last season, with high-paying country clubs poaching players".

"Kilburn, Flinders University, Angle Vale, Mitchell Park, Aldinga, Brahma Lodge and Wingfield have all faced struggles to field teams this year and been on the end of huge losses".

WATCH THIS SPACE
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby jo172 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:16 am

Footy Chick wrote:there was something in Adelaide Now - can someone post it - I CBF.

Hard to police, especially in the case of a lot of college clubs that don't pay players but allegedly find them cushy jobs and other such schemes.

All of them in the higher divisions absolutely do (along with the jobs).
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:17 am

That was just a few snippets from the article in the Advertiser.

If you want I can copy and paste the whole article. I just thought Id highlight a few key points.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:19 am

I did mention at one point earlier this year that player payments (especially under the table) need to be addressed. Maybe someone's ears from the SAAFL headquarters were burning.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:20 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:I did mention at one point earlier this year that player payments (especially under the table) need to be addressed. Maybe someone's ears from the SAAFL headquarters were burning.

Why would anyone pay a player "under the table", there is no salary cap so you can them whatever they want?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:26 am

It's the excitement of the brown paper bag ;) Plus, it may be in the constitution of some clubs like Uni, for exampe. (not sure if it is though)

I should've written "Don't pay players" :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Informer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:54 am

Footy Chick wrote:It's the excitement of the brown paper bag ;) Plus, it may be in the constitution of some clubs like Uni, for exampe. (not sure if it is though)

I should've written "Don't pay players" :lol:

I think the excitement of the brown bag is making a few blokes run back somewhere
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby morell » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Like it a lot. Top work by JK and the folks at the SAAFL (and other leagues) once again.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Footy Chick wrote:there was something in Adelaide Now - can someone post it - I CBF.

easy to police piss the college sides out of the comp let them play with each other just like in the school footy

and then onto all the clubs left introduce a tuff rule like this

div 1 50k
div 2 40k
div 3 30k
div 4 25k
div 5 20k
div 6 15k

all club presidents and football directors sign a form and a justice of the peace signs of on it if they care caught over the cap in payments the club is kicked out of the comp im sure some clubs will try and work around it still but the first one to be caught and kicked out will be fun to see

and to all the people who say they will just use paper bags under the table in that case id say the league work with government to introduce some sort of law how many presidents would be willing to risk the club to pay under table then
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:

easy to police piss the college sides out of the comp let them play with each other just like in the school footy

div 1 50k
div 2 40k
div 3 30k
div 4 25k
div 5 20k
div 6 15k

all club presidents and football directors sign a form and a justice of the peace signs of on it if they care caught over the cap in payments the club is kicked out of the comp im sure some clubs will try and work around it still but the first one to be caught and kicked out will be fun to see

and to all the people who say they will just use paper bags under the table in that case id say the league work with government to introduce some sort of law how many presidents would be willing to risk the club to pay under table then

How can I as President stop a wealthy supporter giving $200 a week to their favourite player?

Especially if I know nothing about it?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Being somewhat facetious above, but my point is that there's no watertight strategy short of subjecting every player at a club suspected of being over a cap to an ATO style audit.

This would be phenomenally expensive and a gross invasion of privacy.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:56 pm

I thought the suggestion was to limit the amount that can be paid to a player, not re-introduce a salary cap?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby mickey » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:09 pm

Salary cap by alias
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby morell » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:20 pm

jo172 wrote:Being somewhat facetious above, but my point is that there's no watertight strategy short of subjecting every player at a club suspected of being over a cap to an ATO style audit.

Whilst true, this doesn't mean the SAAFL shouldn't at least put regulations in place to try and curb the monetisation of the game at the grassroots level.

If we didn't put rules or laws in place merely because they weren't watertight and wouldn't stop every transgression, we would have no laws or rules in place.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby jo172 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:23 pm

morell wrote:
jo172 wrote:Being somewhat facetious above, but my point is that there's no watertight strategy short of subjecting every player at a club suspected of being over a cap to an ATO style audit.

Whilst true, this doesn't mean the SAAFL shouldn't at least put regulations in place to try and curb the monetisation of the game at the grassroots level.

If we didn't put rules or laws in place merely because they weren't watertight and wouldn't stop every transgression, we would have no laws or rules in place.

I don't disagree at all.

Just very tired of the media grandstanding that's surrounded and caused this whole issue.

I refer particularly to Kilburn and Salisbury West.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Cohiba » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:

div 1 50k
div 2 40k
div 3 30k
div 4 25k
div 5 20k
div 6 15k

wankwankwankwankwankwankwankwank............ 8-}
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Old Dog New Tricks » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:55 pm

Gotta try something. It's clearly out of control. Good on them I reckon
Old Dog New Tricks
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times