2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

Postby stan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:05 am

UK Fan wrote:Zac Milbank's list of major SANFL player movements this off-season:

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2746/

Crows reserves will find it hard next season. Lost some older type players that will most likely be replaced with rookies. Could get beaten around a bit, more so than his season.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby SDK » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:53 am

The fact that Zac Millbank has not included Georgiou as an IN for Norwood concerns me.
Heard a few whispers the Crows were interested as a rookie which would give me the shits !
Any one heard anything ?

Updates on the swap of juniours between Norwood and North ? I believe the North kid has a " football name " ????????
SDK
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 51 times

Postby JK » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:25 pm

SDK wrote:The fact that Zac Millbank has not included Georgiou as an IN for Norwood concerns me.
Heard a few whispers the Crows were interested as a rookie which would give me the shits !
Any one heard anything ?

Updates on the swap of juniours between Norwood and North ? I believe the North kid has a " football name " ????????

I'd question whether George would accept another rookie contract. The North lad has good football pedigree, and by all accounts North land a young gun out of it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:58 pm

SimonH wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:thought he played some pretty reasonable footy for Port in 2014 before being dropped halfway through the year to make way for others....
The question isn't why Haren's gone, but why anyone else who's SANFL league standard would stay unless their name is Steve Summerton.

Playing SANFL reserves in a club's 3rd-tier side, with promotion to the club's 2nds (and re-relegation back to its 3rds) based more on the number of injuries in the AFL squad then the merits of their form, on significantly less coin than they could be getting anywhere else (going out on a limb and presuming that Port are following the rules), ain't exactly selling it. What happened with Biemans in the finals and then Bruggemann in the grand final was like a big advertisement: 'Hey, SANFL players! Go somewhere else!'

I'm hearing Bruggerman to Sturt. Why wouldn't he after the way he was treated toward the end of this year.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:
SimonH wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:thought he played some pretty reasonable footy for Port in 2014 before being dropped halfway through the year to make way for others....
The question isn't why Haren's gone, but why anyone else who's SANFL league standard would stay unless their name is Steve Summerton.

Playing SANFL reserves in a club's 3rd-tier side, with promotion to the club's 2nds (and re-relegation back to its 3rds) based more on the number of injuries in the AFL squad then the merits of their form, on significantly less coin than they could be getting anywhere else (going out on a limb and presuming that Port are following the rules), ain't exactly selling it. What happened with Biemans in the finals and then Bruggemann in the grand final was like a big advertisement: 'Hey, SANFL players! Go somewhere else!'

I'm hearing Bruggerman to Sturt. Why wouldn't he after the way he was treated toward the end of this year.

Exactly, carried them in the ruck for most of the season then they repay him by selecting possibly the worst footballer to play a game at the highest level over him for a Grand Final.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Red Rocket » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:19 pm

JK wrote:
SDK wrote:The fact that Zac Millbank has not included Georgiou as an IN for Norwood concerns me.
Any one heard anything ?

I'd question whether George would accept another rookie contract. The North lad has good football pedigree, and by all accounts North land a young gun out of it.

Not sure who the Norwood lad is but was told by a North bloke that young Viney is heading to the Parade in a swap.
Think you are right about Georgiou not accepting a rookie spot, there was rumours in Melbourne that the Demons were going to re draft him as a rookie but he turned it down citing that he could earn more from his job plus playing SANFL. Not sure what job he does though
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby stan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:
SimonH wrote:

Big pickup for Sturt.

Magpies with another player out. Coming back to the pack a bit it would appear.
stan
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:26 pm

RB wrote:Can't imagine what Glenelg people would do with the spoon.

Store it with the rest.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby JK » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Red Rocket wrote:
JK wrote:
Any one heard anything ?

Not sure who the Norwood lad is but was told by a North bloke that young Viney is heading to the Parade in a swap.
Think you are right about Georgiou not accepting a rookie spot, there was rumours in Melbourne that the Demons were going to re draft him as a rookie but he turned it down citing that he could earn more from his job plus playing SANFL. Not sure what job he does though

George is an engineer so would imagine any job income would outweigh a rookie or SANFL wage.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby rocketeer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Lewis Johnston isn't listed either, so I think he's just waiting for the draft as both guys could still end up on an AFL list.
rocketeer
Rookie

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Dutchy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:28 pm

Glenelg has lured Christian Howard back to Brighton Road as it continues to address its need for speed and clean skills.

Delisted by the Western Bulldogs after playing 20 AFL matches from 2011 to 2014, Howard boasts a neat left-foot kick and a willingness to carry the ball across lines.

The 23-year-old – who was selected with the Dogs’ No.15 pick in the 2009 AFL National Draft – is expected to play a role across half-back for the Tigers in 2015.

‘’He will probably be our player who plays across half-back who we can release as he uses the footy so well,’’ Glenelg football manager Matt Lokan said.

‘’We have been talking to Christian pretty much for the whole year about footy and life in general. So to have him return to Glenelg is fantastic.

‘’It is great for the younger boys to have someone from Glenelg who has played in the AFL system come back to the club.’’

It is understood Howard chose playing for the Bays ahead of an offer from VFL club Port Melbourne, in the event he isn’t selected in either the AFL National Draft or AFL Rookie Draft this year.

The Tigers have injected more pace into their squad with the addition of classy small forward Lonnie Hampton, who played in a premiership this year with former Central star Brayden O’Hara at
Ovens and Murray League club Albury.

Hampton, 22, finished fourth in Albury’s best-and-fairest award this year behind O’Hara and former AFL players Dean Polo and Setanta O’hAilpin.

‘’He’s a very quick forward who is very creative in front of goals and he has got pace to burn,’’ Lokan said of Hampton, 178cm and 73kg.

‘’We’re very excited about Lonnie as Nick (Stevens) had some involvement with him when he was coaching NSW/ACT (Under-18s) so we feel very fortunate to get Lonnie across the line.’’

Flexible utility Tom Carter, who measures in at 196cm and 97kg, has also joined the Bays from SANFL rival West Adelaide.

Carter, who lives in Glenelg’s zone, can play in the ruck or at either end of the ground.

‘’Tom is one who popped out of the box for us,’’ Lokan said.

‘’He parted ways with West Adelaide and we were very keen to get another bigman on our books.

‘’We are rapt to have him join as he is a big powerful ruckman who can play forward and moves very well. He is doing some surfboard rowing at the moment as well so he has put on some size as well.

‘’And the best thing about Tom is that he is a competitor. He really competes for the footy so he will be a huge pick-up for us.’’
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:29 pm

Millsie89 wrote:As noted above:

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2745/

Very big loss for us but glad to see Battersby is back. Anyone know much about this former Glenelg player Richard O'Grady that's mentioned as also signing for Sturt?

O'Grady struggled at league level for the Bays, would be surprised if he makes any great impact.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Itchy Tiger » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:18 pm

O'Grady goes alright, I reckon he will do well, but I'd much rather see him back at the Bay.
Itchy Tiger
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Brown's Well

Postby Brodlach » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Going to miss Big Tom Carter, good bloke and is going to be a good SANFL footballer. Bays have a good one there. Not sure why he didn't get more of a go at Westies
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby FOOTY TALK » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Sturt offered Bruggemann a sign on plus more than the $400 game that Port can offer.think you will find port will only have 4-5 of there 15 top up players from this year as other clubs are offering better money.
FOOTY TALK
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby stan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:30 pm

FOOTY TALK wrote:Sturt offered Bruggemann a sign on plus more than the $400 game that Port can offer.think you will find port will only have 4-5 of there 15 top up players from this year as other clubs are offering better money.

Interesting it seems the rule works well. As soon as there is a goid Port top up player, all you need ia more than $400 per game lol.
stan
Coach

Postby sjt » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Damn, centrals tried for Hampton also. Good wraps from Brayden. The bays seem to always be in the running for the same players as us and get them.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Squawk » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Is Sturt still Sturt, or are they now "Stort" and making plans to wear a double blue prison bar guernsey?
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:06 am

Bumped into Keiran McGuinness on The Parade this morning, when getting my morning coffee...

He was saying he has scored a Development Coaching role with Carlton and will play VFL footy with their affiliate side, the Northern Blues...

Is one of the real nice guys in footy and what a player he was. Will be sorely missed by the Redlegs, obviously...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:07 am

Big Phil wrote:Bumped into Keiran McGuinness on The Parade this morning, when getting my morning coffee...

Cibo's I assume..... ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL