Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby words of wisdom » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:24 pm

I was told Victor were having a crack at Todd Butler - couldn't see the Bays/Mods letting that happen.
Got a coach yet FOD?
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby field of dreams » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Grant Levy was appointed weeks ago.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby field of dreams » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:54 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:VH throwing big $$$ around to try and recruit

Lol. Trying to target recruit for sure... Who isn't. But big $$$?
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Anyone else today hear that the Community Football Board are pushing for gaol time for clubs falsifying player payments.

Dingo took my baby.
Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby mutton cove » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:46 pm

FOD
Now that Levy is coach the $$$ come back .players being offered $800 pluss.Hill n Murdock would have liked to see that.
mutton cove
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Newkid » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:37 pm

The Ferret wrote:what club is that newkid?

Encounter bay!
Newkid
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby The Ferret » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:05 am

good pick up for the bays with butler agreeing to coaching. has a pretty good record as a senior coach with multiple premierships in the south east.

how many players will neely take with him to mypo though?
The Ferret
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Yankalilla

Postby words of wisdom » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:22 pm

The Ferret wrote:good pick up for the bays with butler agreeing to coaching. has a pretty good record as a senior coach with multiple premierships in the south east.

how many players will neely take with him to mypo though?

Todd Butler is a great appointment for the Bays. The only players that they'll lose are the ones that were there for the $$. You'd think that the majority will stay because of Butler.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Postby field of dreams » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:52 pm

mutton cove wrote:FOD
Now that Levy is coach the $$$ come back .players being offered $800 pluss.Hill n Murdock would have liked to see that.

?? Not sure what are you trying to say?

There were plenty of recruits at the club when Hilly was coach ( though it could be argued whether they earned their $).... and Levy was president then!

Yes the club changed tack somewhat last year to focus more on building through the success of its youth (and Murdoch's appointment was meant to compliment that) but that doesn't necessarily mean not recruiting. We have a great crop of local lads in the squad with two of the best going around in Brown and Iljcesen to lead them, but of course the club is working hard to gain some key recruits to fill deficiencies.
Most people are smart enough to realise that paying the RIGHT players is the key- but that isn't always as easy as it sounds.

Seems to me the scenario is usually more like Joe Irekonicanplayabit comes along saying he'd like to play for Victor but he wants $x0000 a game to which we say no sorry. Happy to have them on board but not for the ridiculous sums they think they are worth. Then they sign up at one of the neighbouring clubs.[emoji383]
I don't mind big $ being paid for a few quality recruits but the $ paid to guys that are just average is crazy.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby words of wisdom » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:18 pm

field of dreams wrote:
mutton cove wrote:FOD

?? Not sure what are you trying to say?

There were plenty of recruits at the club when Hilly was coach ( though it could be argued whether they earned their $).... and Levy was president then!

Yes the club changed tack somewhat last year to focus more on building through the success of its youth (and Murdoch's appointment was meant to compliment that) but that doesn't necessarily mean not recruiting. We have a great crop of local lads in the squad with two of the best going around in Brown and Iljcesen to lead them, but of course the club is working hard to gain some key recruits to fill deficiencies.
Most people are smart enough to realise that paying the RIGHT players is the key- but that isn't always as easy as it sounds.

Seems to me the scenario is usually more like Joe Irekonicanplayabit comes along saying he'd like to play for Victor but he wants $x0000 a game to which we say no sorry. Happy to have them on board but not for the ridiculous sums they think they are worth. Then they sign up at one of the neighbouring clubs.[emoji383]
I don't mind big $ being paid for a few quality recruits but the $ paid to guys that are just average is crazy.

Imagine if you recruited the type of quality players that you had in the 90's - that would cost you about 1.5 million these days instead of the 150k you paid back then! :lol: ;)
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Postby field of dreams » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Lol WOW. People would be very surprised by how much those quality players weren't getting paid.
But it backs up what I said about paying the right players. Great team men that supported the club to the hilt on and off the field.
I'm afraid such veins of quality don't exist anymore.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jumbo20 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:31 pm

Adam Grocke and 1 other to Goolwa
jumbo20
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby fiftympenalty » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Plenty of cash at goolwa clearly
fiftympenalty
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby grasshopper22 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:53 am

Good on Goolwa for having a crack, they obviously need to bring in some big guns to be able to compete with the powers of the comp in strath, creeks, Bays etc as they are generally always around the mark.
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby LuvsFooty » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:00 pm

I reckon we would have spent more than those clubs last year and finished behind them, But it's not about the total spend, it's about who gets it and who is value. Guys like Grocke, Ebert, Mieklejohn get big coin but have big impacts. Not always on field but they are worried about by opposition and coaching impact is huge. We got 120 goals out of 3 local lads under 25. Ebo would have to take some credit for that
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby dogsrbarkin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:04 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:I reckon we would have spent more than those clubs last year and finished behind them, But it's not about the total spend, it's about who gets it and who is value. Guys like Grocke, Ebert, Mieklejohn get big coin but have big impacts. Not always on field but they are worried about by opposition and coaching impact is huge. We got 120 goals out of 3 local lads under 25. Ebo would have to take some credit for that

Guggy boy how's things not blowing mega heads gazoo again ;) Its good to see you talking about the $$$$ you have to pay in cockle town to be competitive but its sad as well that our game has turned to this listening to roo the other day he spoke about the loyalty v the dollar and what's happening in country footy I just wonder whether his home town pays the coin out as well.....would love to see a knock out comp for prize money just local lads in each team!!!! then some of these bench mark teams might not be able to field a side :shock:
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Been liked: 5 times

Postby buster07 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:10 pm

don't worry about Jar's and Roo's dribble about paying money
the amount of money Jar's club pays is outrageous
ask D Motlop
buster07
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby LuvsFooty » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:32 pm

I don't mind EBO, reckon he's not a bad bloke. $$$ tallk still is s hot topic. still remember offering a huge ruckman $1000 a game only to be denied by a bigger offer. Must have been some serious milk prices that year. A knock out local comp would be great. Would your mob get a side Dogs?
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby dogsrbarkin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:58 am

LuvsFooty wrote:I don't mind EBO, reckon he's not a bad bloke. $$$ tallk still is s hot topic. still remember offering a huge ruckman $1000 a game only to be denied by a bigger offer. Must have been some serious milk prices that year. A knock out local comp would be great. Would your mob get a side Dogs?

I think it had something to do with the little milk cartons that exploded on opening we sent to the middle east that secured that one ;) oh that left a bad taste in ya mouth !!!
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Been liked: 5 times

Postby words of wisdom » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:38 am

jumbo20 wrote:Adam Grocke and 1 other to Goolwa

I've heard it's down to 2 clubs in the Hills or a Div 1 ammos team.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy