HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby batmanbegins » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:I think I have worked it out!

Country Division is the new Div 1 - the only team that survives is Echunga.
Nairne Bremer, Kersbrook, Macclesfield, Gumeracha, Meadows. Kangarilla, Birdwood & Sedan Cambrai all get promoted to the new 9 team Div 1

The real losers now are Mount Lofty who end up in the lesser division after winning the Premiership and securing promotion

LGIL, as an outsider how do you think this should be solved? Do you think they should change the by law or just use common sense and put down tv?
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:19 pm

batmanbegins wrote:

Nairne Bremer, Kersbrook, Macclesfield, Gumeracha, Meadows. Kangarilla, Birdwood & Sedan Cambrai all get promoted to the new 9 team Div 1

The real losers now are Mount Lofty who end up in the lesser division after winning the Premiership and securing promotion

LGIL, as an outsider how do you think this should be solved? Do you think they should change the by law or just use common sense and put down tv?

As there is not enough of a clear definition in the by-law, you would be hard pressed to relegate anyone this season. I would suggest they run one season with 11 teams. Define the By-Law properly and automatically relegate the bottom side at the end of the 2015 season however it is defined to get it back to 10 teams. If there is a team that qualifies to come up for 2016, then there would need to be 2 relegated to get it back to 10 teams.

For a while myself, and I am sure many others, have held the Hills Central division up as the pinnacle of SA Country football. It is an excellent competition. I cannot comprehend how you would throw all that away through pig-headed stupidity - if you go ahead and relegate Echunga, the damage will likely be long-term, the way this has been handled as it is, is nothing short of incompetent.

This could have been an absolute promotional windfall for the Hills league, a classic rags-to-riches story of a small town team that has taken on some of the best country teams in the state and won the premiership in their first season. Instead they have managed to turn it into an ugly story, a heap of bad press in what should be a real positive for the competition. From outside it appears that the established clubs see Echunga as queue jumpers, have not done their apprenticeship and taken something they were not entitled to. It looks merely as sour grapes on the part of clubs that have had it good for so long.

This is an exceptional circumstance that requires an exceptional solution for the sake of the competition. If Echunga are forced down, I can see it as the start of the demise of the HFL.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby rock » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Echunga had 4 other teams that played on a Saturday. Not one of you Echunga supporters ever really mention any of them. Here's how their season panned out:

B Grade - 0 wins - 18 Losses (10th place)
U 17s - 4 wins - 14 Losses (7th place)
U 15s - 4 wins - 14 Losses (8th place)
U 13s - 3 wins - 15 Losses (8th place)

I'm not sure you understand, its not the team that is being relegated it is the CLUB. The HFL would rather see Clubs build depth and put good junior development programs in place for their future. Performances like the above would suggest this CLUB needs to go back to Country Div to properly build foundations that will better prepare them for Central Div should they return in the future. The above results clearly show the focus was on the A grade only with a lot of recruiting and money well spent. This resulted in a premiership (clap, clap) but every grade below failed to perform at the level. By relegating Echunga it sends a message to others that the purchasing of an A grade flag whilst neglecting the teams below it will not be acceptable in Central Div. What happens when the money runs out and the recruits leave? How will those B grade players go at A grade level? There's a few teams that come to mind: Kilburn, Aldinga etc etc. Swallow the pill Echunga and learn a valuable lesson here.

On the topic of an 11 team comp, it was tried last year by Mt Lofty but got voted down. I was told Echunga voted against this too. I can assure you an 11 team comp will not be voted in by the Clubs. The Clubs run the League and most will not allow Central Div to go beyond 10 teams. And why would the Country Div Clubs vote this in, it would severly weaken that competition with less juniors etc.

At the end of the day this isn't about the A grade, it's about the whole CLUB and Echunga were the worst as a CLUB amongst the 10 teams in Central Div. Time to swallow that pill and prepare for Country Div in 2015 :)
rock
Under 16s

Been liked: 12 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 pm

rock wrote:Echunga had 4 other teams that played on a Saturday. Not one of you Echunga supporters ever really mention any of them. Here's how their season panned out:

I'm not sure you understand, its not the team that is being relegated it is the CLUB. The HFL would rather see Clubs build depth and put good junior development programs in place for their future. Performances like the above would suggest this CLUB needs to go back to Country Div to properly build foundations that will better prepare them for Central Div should they return in the future. The above results clearly show the focus was on the A grade only with a lot of recruiting and money well spent. This resulted in a premiership (clap, clap) but every grade below failed to perform at the level. By relegating Echunga it sends a message to others that the purchasing of an A grade flag whilst neglecting the teams below it will not be acceptable in Central Div. What happens when the money runs out and the recruits leave? How will those B grade players go at A grade level? There's a few teams that come to mind: Kilburn, Aldinga etc etc. Swallow the pill Echunga and learn a valuable lesson here.

On the topic of an 11 team comp, it was tried last year by Mt Lofty but got voted down. I was told Echunga voted against this too. I can assure you an 11 team comp will not be voted in by the Clubs. The Clubs run the League and most will not allow Central Div to go beyond 10 teams. And why would the Country Div Clubs vote this in, it would severly weaken that competition with less juniors etc.

At the end of the day this isn't about the A grade, it's about the whole CLUB and Echunga were the worst as a CLUB amongst the 10 teams in Central Div. Time to swallow that pill and prepare for Country Div in 2015 :)

Or maybe the country clubs will vote in an 11 team comp. Surely they must be getting sick of playing for the right to get humiliated on Grand Final day in the A Grade. Cant be real inspiring rocking up to pre season on a 40 degree day knowing you are playing for 2nd spot
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby batmanbegins » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:

As there is not enough of a clear definition in the by-law, you would be hard pressed to relegate anyone this season. I would suggest they run one season with 11 teams. Define the By-Law properly and automatically relegate the bottom side at the end of the 2015 season however it is defined to get it back to 10 teams. If there is a team that qualifies to come up for 2016, then there would need to be 2 relegated to get it back to 10 teams.

For a while myself, and I am sure many others, have held the Hills Central division up as the pinnacle of SA Country football. It is an excellent competition. I cannot comprehend how you would throw all that away through pig-headed stupidity - if you go ahead and relegate Echunga, the damage will likely be long-term, the way this has been handled as it is, is nothing short of incompetent.

This could have been an absolute promotional windfall for the Hills league, a classic rags-to-riches story of a small town team that has taken on some of the best country teams in the state and won the premiership in their first season. Instead they have managed to turn it into an ugly story, a heap of bad press in what should be a real positive for the competition. From outside it appears that the established clubs see Echunga as queue jumpers, have not done their apprenticeship and taken something they were not entitled to. It looks merely as sour grapes on the part of clubs that have had it good for so long.

This is an exceptional circumstance that requires an exceptional solution for the sake of the competition. If Echunga are forced down, I can see it as the start of the demise of the HFL.

Yeah fair call LGIL, tend to agree regarding making it a 11 team comp for next year. I think that also makes the country comp more even as well rather than one team dominating. I mean lofty were good but they are a class or two below Echunga and they smashed everyone, so imagine what Echunga could do. But in saying that I do not get how your B grade can be so bad when your A grade is so good, seems crazy to me. The Juniors is understandable, if your not in the big regions like Hahndorf, barker and blackwood it can be hard in juniors but Echunga were competitive across all junior grades.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby On The Pine » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:41 pm

How about the old 3 division chestnut with Milang having a crack, or Houghton or ??? 8, 6 & 6? Bottom 6 if you don't have all the junior grades, or maybe 2 junior teams, top 2 you must have all grades giving yourselves the opportunity to develop your kids before making the transition from div 2 to 1. Clubs like TV, Birdwood, Lofty, Bridgewater, Nairne would be perfect div 2 clubs who could build towards promotion. It would of been perfect for Echunga too if it had existed this year. Doesn't solve the current farce though unless Echunga thought it was a suitable compromise.
On The Pine
Rookie

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby R. White » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:38 am

rock wrote:Echunga had 4 other teams that played on a Saturday. Not one of you Echunga supporters ever really mention any of them. Here's how their season panned out:

I see where you are coming from but you logic is flawed . Tv finished above Echunga in one grade, the b grade. Results are as follows:
A grade 7 wins 11 losses
B grade 11 wins 7 losses
S/c 4 wins 14 losses
J/c 2 wins 16 losses
U13 3 wins 15 losses

They have been up in central for a few years no so there is no excuse for the poor development of their junior sides. What you are saying is that the hfl values b grade results more than a grade. I have said it before, rules are rules but they also need to be changed from time to time.
R. White
Rookie

Been liked: 16 times

Postby The Sorce » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:29 am

So the FACTS are Echunga A Grade WON the 2014 Premiership!
The B Grade did not win a Game - Yet did not search around the pub each week to get numbers on the track which was a problem in the past.
The Juniors.....
This year playing in Central Division Echunga Fielded a side in each grade each week, they were competitive amongst in most grades and it seen the development of several of the Juniors playing against Quality opposition each week, which in turn seen these junior players playing Senior level football.

So to see us develop these grades the solution by some of these WISE ones on here is to go back to Country were:
There are really only 2 or 3 competitive B grade teams (and the others are filled with on the boarder retirement players)
Juniors :roll:
Under 17s last year only had 6 teams (and looks like less next year) - With really on 2 competitive team Mt Loft & Meadows.... how is that going to help development?

Is its just the Fear out there if we do stay we would continue to develop not only our seniors but also our Juniors and surely for the greater good of the game you would want to play against the best?

I understand that this next comment will go against what got Echunga Into Central Division but it seems the actual Law on this is off, why is it that the Incoming team coming up from Country Division is only based on their A grades ability to make the top 2 (one team) yet the outgoing teams decision is based on the whole club (know I understand this would not make a difference in this case however it is just a bit strange that they are not aligned). All clubs voted on the interpretation of the Law but due to the debacle on this topic over the past 2 years the wording and law can anyone seeing this being addressed by the clubs at the HFL AGM, if Echunga do go down each club in central divsion will be in the same position next year as I would assume who ever it is that makes the top 2 in country next year will look at coming up!
Country Division
The Sorce
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby sideview » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:44 pm

Being involved in the Country division where numbers are a constant struggle in both seniors and juniors only highlights to me that while we have a mortgage shield the larger clubs in Central have an armchair ride as regardless whether you come bottom in your senior grades your juniors will enable you to stay up.
And in my experience kids will always gravitate to winning teams which mostly will be Hahndorf / Mt Barker/ Blackwood/Onkas so what would have happened this year if Hahndorf had gone back which is what happens in most promotion and relegation systems.
My guess is a lot of Hahndorf juniors would have spread to other teams especially Echunga and given a lot live outside of Hahndorf others may have also benefitted from this. Strengthening the HFL.
Kids will always be attracted to winning teams hence the bigger clubs are always going to attract players from outside there area. Hence the smaller clubs are going to loose players.
As much as the rules have determined Echunga's fate this year the current system cannot continue. I'm sure as much as it pains me to say it Echunga would have improved as a whole club next year and been rewarded for winning the Central Grand Final.
A lot of posters are quick to condemn the smaller clubs for struggling numbers how about we not reward A grade teams for coming bottom and punishing smaller towns for trying to improve themselves.
sideview
Mini-League

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Meadows

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:26 pm

sideview wrote:Being involved in the Country division where numbers are a constant struggle in both seniors and juniors only highlights to me that while we have a mortgage shield the larger clubs in Central have an armchair ride as regardless whether you come bottom in your senior grades your juniors will enable you to stay up.
And in my experience kids will always gravitate to winning teams which mostly will be Hahndorf / Mt Barker/ Blackwood/Onkas so what would have happened this year if Hahndorf had gone back which is what happens in most promotion and relegation systems.
My guess is a lot of Hahndorf juniors would have spread to other teams especially Echunga and given a lot live outside of Hahndorf others may have also benefitted from this. Strengthening the HFL.
Kids will always be attracted to winning teams hence the bigger clubs are always going to attract players from outside there area. Hence the smaller clubs are going to loose players.
As much as the rules have determined Echunga's fate this year the current system cannot continue. I'm sure as much as it pains me to say it Echunga would have improved as a whole club next year and been rewarded for winning the Central Grand Final.
A lot of posters are quick to condemn the smaller clubs for struggling numbers how about we not reward A grade teams for coming bottom and punishing smaller towns for trying to improve themselves.

It does seem to be the football equivalent of a Gerrymander. No matter how bad some clubs get at A-Grade level, the fact that they are based in a larger population centre pretty much guarantees them a spot in Div 1 because of the disproportionate weighting of junior and reserves games. The clubs from smaller townships that may be good enough to get promoted are set up to fail, as we have seen this season, had Echunga not won in the first week of finals, they did not have a hope of staying up - in fact there are clubs still trying to pull the trigger on them even after winning the premiership!!

Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen would be very impressed
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cracka » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
sideview wrote:Being involved in the Country division where numbers are a constant struggle in both seniors and juniors only highlights to me that while we have a mortgage shield the larger clubs in Central have an armchair ride as regardless whether you come bottom in your senior grades your juniors will enable you to stay up.

It does seem to be the football equivalent of a Gerrymander. No matter how bad some clubs get at A-Grade level, the fact that they are based in a larger population centre pretty much guarantees them a spot in Div 1 because of the disproportionate weighting of junior and reserves games. The clubs from smaller townships that may be good enough to get promoted are set up to fail, as we have seen this season, had Echunga not won in the first week of finals, they did not have a hope of staying up - in fact there are clubs still trying to pull the trigger on them even after winning the premiership!!

Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen would be very impressed

Sounds like the SFL's theories are creeping into the HFL eh Leather.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Its funny, this time last year everyone was bagging Mt Lofty & the HFL for trying to change the rules after the season. Now they are bagging 16 clubs & the HFL for not changing the interpretation of the rules after the season. Talk about being in a no win situation.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby no1rangler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:34 pm

good point cracka.

Should also point out to 'the outsider's' of the HFL - Echunga played 2 of their top A grade players VS Bridgewater B grade to try and ensure MINOR round points towards the end of the season.

Echunga knew exactly what they needed to do from the start of the season in order to stay in Central - achieve club success!
no1rangler
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby hillscrow » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:12 pm

no1rangler wrote:good point cracka.

Should also point out to 'the outsider's' of the HFL - Echunga played 2 of their top A grade players VS Bridgewater B grade to try and ensure MINOR round points towards the end of the season.

Echunga knew exactly what they needed to do from the start of the season in order to stay in Central - achieve club success!

True...but at that time the Premiership was a long way away...the scenario changed when they performed so well in the finals.
hillscrow
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby norm11 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:24 pm

Can someone help me out with some photos of some ovals in this comp when it's wet?? There was some pics on here but can't find them.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:35 pm

norm11 wrote:Can someone help me out with some photos of some ovals in this comp when it's wet?? There was some pics on here but can't find them.

http://countryfooty.com.au/FootballPeople.htm
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby no1rangler » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:45 am

the relegation and promotion system should work the same both ways - Strongest club in Div 2 are able to apply (possibly with the premiers also of that year) Then lowest total point club in Div 1 come down.

Echunga finished 4th in the shield 2013 in Div2 and were promoted due to their A grade success and now they are in a very unique circumstance.

Same again this year in Div 2 - Mt Lofty strongest club by an absolute mile, but if they got rolled in the Grand Final by Nairne - every chance they would not be successful with a promotion back to Central.
no1rangler
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Alaska » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:53 am

What a lot of people are forgetting is that until recently the Country clubs have not wanted to go up. Echunga have been very successful in previous seasons and could have applied to go up Kersbrook were always in a grand final.
It has only been in recent years with the decline of the juniors in Country that clubs see it as a necessity to get out of Country for their club to survive.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby The Gimp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:09 am

norm11 wrote:Can someone help me out with some photos of some ovals in this comp when it's wet?? There was some pics on here but can't find them.

I still shake my head at the HFL allocating the final to Nairne......
Attachments
Nairne Oval 02 Sml.jpg
Nairne 2013 - Elimination Final
Nairne Oval 02 Sml.jpg (187.14 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
Nairne Oval 01 sml.jpg
Nairne 2013 - Elimination Final
Nairne Oval 01 sml.jpg (245.05 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
The Gimp
Reserves

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby Alaska » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:51 am

Gimp you have brought back bad memories of that day, unbelievable.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy