NSW vs SA at SCG

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: NSW vs SA at SCG

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:33 pm

HH3 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
HH3 wrote:Not if they opened Twitter and that was the top post. You also assume they all follow the same people on Twitter as you. They might have ABC, but no other news one. Maybe they don't follow any sport ones.

I would've thought speculating that someone is dead, before knowing anything, would be considered bad media practice. Guess not.

Twitter users are news followers, they would have more than one news service on their Feed and all of them were posting about the incident. Any family member of a Test/first class cricketer on Twitter would have plenty of cricket, sport organisations on their Twitter feed.

I agree that it's bad media practice, but to isolate this one Tweet and not condone any of the others is hypocritical for mine. There were many, many equally as distressing things on my Twitter feed yesterday.

Im not gonna argue with you. They were the only ones that insinuated he was dead. Stupid, irresponsible tweet. You even agreed it was bad media practice. So what point are you arguing now? That you know what tweeter feeds his family follows?

I agreed that people would be offended by it, right from the start. I'm arguing that it is hypocritical to be isolating one Tweet.

You seemed to know what feeds his family might be following.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby HH3 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:44 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
HH3 wrote:Not if they opened Twitter and that was the top post. You also assume they all follow the same people on Twitter as you. They might have ABC, but no other news one. Maybe they don't follow any sport ones.

I would've thought speculating that someone is dead, before knowing anything, would be considered bad media practice. Guess not.

Twitter users are news followers, they would have more than one news service on their Feed and all of them were posting about the incident. Any family member of a Test/first class cricketer on Twitter would have plenty of cricket, sport organisations on their Twitter feed.

I agree that it's bad media practice, but to isolate this one Tweet and not condone any of the others is hypocritical for mine. There were many, many equally as distressing things on my Twitter feed yesterday.

Im not gonna argue with you. They were the only ones that insinuated he was dead. Stupid, irresponsible tweet. You even agreed it was bad media practice. So what point are you arguing now? That you know what tweeter feeds his family follows?

I agreed that people would be offended by it, right from the start. I'm arguing that it is hypocritical to be isolating one Tweet.

You seemed to know what feeds his family might be following.

Im saying they wouldnt have necessarily seen any other coverage before that one.

Why not talk about it? It was shit.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Footy Smart wrote:10 years ago these pics/video wouldnt have been seen. Its purely the nature of the beast today with technology, everyone wants to know everything, straight away. The majority dont care if the info is filtered, they just want whatever info they can get, no matter the sources credability. Rightly or wrongly of course....

Society has changed, privacy and human rights aren't placed on high priority anymore.
News sells, getting the closest picture, the breaking story is all that matters nowadays.

I don't watch the news at all, it has been comforting reading through the incident related posts on here though since the accident as I gain insight from the posters that I value for credible information.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:55 pm

HH3 wrote: Im saying they wouldnt have necessarily seen any other coverage before that one.

I seriously doubt it.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:34 pm

update from the Hospital due in the near future
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:57 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:10 years ago these pics/video wouldnt have been seen. Its purely the nature of the beast today with technology, everyone wants to know everything, straight away. The majority dont care if the info is filtered, they just want whatever info they can get, no matter the sources credability. Rightly or wrongly of course....

Society has changed, privacy and human rights aren't placed on high priority anymore.
News sells, getting the closest picture, the breaking story is all that matters nowadays.

I don't watch the news at all, it has been comforting reading through the incident related posts on here though since the accident as I gain insight from the posters that I value for credible information.

My friends and I had this conversation a while ago when that lad holding the severed head was splashed on the front page, and I argued sometimes we should be shocked and outraged about the images we see, even if it is distressing for family, because that is usually what makes governments do something about it.

I don't think that applies here though, so to stay on topic I really hope he has stabilised
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:00 pm

heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby heater31 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Same goes for the images of Phil in the act of falling flat on his face, plenty of NSW players in the shot on the move to his aid.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Yeah I agree tbh. I guess you can always take the most cynical view of something if you wish...
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

My friends and I had this conversation a while ago when that lad holding the severed head was splashed on the front page, and I argued sometimes we should be shocked and outraged about the images we see, even if it is distressing for family, because that is usually what makes governments do something about it.

I don't think that applies here though, so to stay on topic I really hope he has stabilised

"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion"
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:04 pm

Tend to agree

As distressing as the image is I can help but see the beauty in the compassion and compare that is on display for a fellow human being, sadly it's something I don't think we see enough of In today's society

Cricket is the gentlemens game and there is no greater evidence than this photo

I think when PHIL Hughes looks back on his career and may look at this photo with pride in that his been that respected an opponent and player that this was the care he was shown in his most crucial time

Sorry if this post offends anyone just my opinion
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:04 pm

whufc wrote:

Tend to agree

As distressing as the image is I can help but see the beauty in the compassion and compare that is on display for a fellow human being, sadly it's something I don't think we see enough of In today's society

I think when PHIL Hughes looks back on his career and may look at this photo with pride in that his been that respected an opponent and player that this was the care he was shown in his most crucial time

i agree. And to be honest, I didn't know what the fuss is about. I think it's great that someone in distress from an opposition team is being tended to by colleagues/opposition who put aside their allegiances for the greater good.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:17 am

whufc wrote:

Tend to agree

your best post WHUFC..... you are human ;)

As you said, not enough care for a fellow human is shown in today's society. Everyone is to busy with their own importance.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Stumps » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:00 am

gadj1976 wrote:
whufc wrote:

Tend to agree

i agree. And to be honest, I didn't know what the fuss is about. I think it's great that someone in distress from an opposition team is being tended to by colleagues/opposition who put aside their allegiances for the greater good.

they all look scared and distressed to me. I dont like seeing people look genuinely frightened
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:06 am

Stumps wrote:

they all look scared and distressed to me. I dont like seeing people look genuinely frightened

I'm with you, it's not what I want my 9 year old son to see, especially when he loves his cricket and does well at it.

He said to me Tuesday night "I don't think I want to play cricket for Australia now".

Each to their own though, I'm not one to judge others on their views.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Stumps wrote:

I'm with you, it's not what I want my 9 year old son to see, especially when he loves his cricket and does well at it.

He said to me Tuesday night "I don't think I want to play cricket for Australia now".

Each to their own though, I'm not one to judge others on their views.

It's weird, I have never met Hughes but this incident has hit me pretty hard, maybe the fact we are both left handed openers, same build and have an almost identical batting style (except he can bat) almost makes you feel like you knew the bloke and he was 'one of yours'

Despite it being such a rare accident being a 31 year old who is still playing the highest stand of cricket im capable of makes you start to question whether 'it's time' and how important playing actually is to you compared to family time etc etc

Almost has made reflect on the few times I have been struck on the helmet by fairly sharpe blokes and you wonder how close you came.

Also makes you think about a few things you do and say on a field, was only a month ago I was playing against an opponent and person I really despise and encouraging our quick to dig in a few short ones you never even contemplate that the outcome could be something so serious

Really sad incident for cricket in Australia with not a single positive other than the support everyone is giving each other.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:34 am

I'm the same tbh. i think its just the fact that you just think well this could easily happen to me or one of my mates on the cricket field.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:38 am

It does open your eyes to the danger the game can bring.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:45 am

It will seem I'm being deliberately contrarian, but I'm tending to look at it the other way.
It's desperately unlucky it happened to Hughes.
It's a freak accident, it would be even more desperately unlucky for something like that to happen to someone at grass roots level.
It's that luck aspect I can't get my head around. Usually when a player gets hit in the head, he brushes it off, retires and then comes back, shaken with maybe a headache. For me, the Hughes incident is so beyond the realms of the expected that it is hard to comprehend.
However, it does make me think about the risks of keeping up to the stumps a little more.
Dogwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket