Aus v Ind Test Series

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

Postby westcoastpanther » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:23 am

whufc wrote:
shoe boy wrote:S Marsh the best batsman not playing in our test side.

9 x Test matches
Av 33
2 x tons
1 x 50
Give the guy a break he is quality cricketer.

Agree there would need to be an absolute standout or a young bat with age on their side to be selected ahead of Marsh imho

Span...........................Mat.... Inns NO.. Runs.HS...Ave.........BF...........SR........100... 50... 0.. 4s... 6s
overall... 2011-2014..... 9..... 15.....0.... 493...148..32.86...1109.......44.45........2.....1..... 6.. 56... 1

15 digs, 6 ducks, reckon he's reliable?? Almost all his runs come in 3 digs
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:10 am

I really hope this test goes ahead... i certainly be difficult to do so but i reckon it would be a tremendous tribute to Phil and his family...

What do others think?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:22 am

woodublieve12 wrote:I really hope this test goes ahead... i certainly be difficult to do so but i reckon it would be a tremendous tribute to Phil and his family...

What do others think?

Indeed, it will only prolong the grieving process if it doesn't (I mean that in the least most disrespectful way possible).

The cricket community is hurting, there will be tears flowing all around the country tomorrow, there is a certain numbness that most of us are going through yet this compares minutely to those close to him.
I'm sure there will be a huge tribute to Phil on the opening day of the first test, although we will all mourn the loss of a true champion, we can all acknowledge the life that was.
A fella that burst on to the scene, got found out before too long and then went back to work on his flaws and came out a more complete player at such a young age just oozes grit and Aussie spirit.

I've been avoiding discussion on the topic as I'm still in a state of shock and disbelief. I guess I can't shelve it for too long.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:44 am

Pretty sure he wouldn't have wanted a test match cancelled! He would want the Aussies to go out there and flay the Indians through backward point every other delivery.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:02 am

It seems Michael Clarke has shown his true leadership qualities over the last few days, his efforts in delivering the message from the family yesterday was something I'll remember for a long, long time.

I think if he has the first Test going ahead in his mind his men will follow him onto the field. I think if he is not ready or willing to take to the ground the players might feel the same way.

Having said that, his injury may take him out of the equation and it simply be a matter for CA and the BCC.

I'd like to think it would go ahead and have no doubt Hughes would have wanted the same. He would want people playing cricket, not sitting around, putting their life on hold.

On another note, like 87 for Australians and 111 for the English :

Tweet from David Lloyd :

63 on a cricket scoreboard should be seen as a very special number ...a round of applause will be in order to celebrate Phil Hughes life

David "Bumble" Lloyd @BumbleCricket

=D> =D> =D>
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:28 am

Agreed Boon.

For all the criticisms of Pup, a true leader stands up in times of struggle and sadness. Pup has shown leadership beyond his call of duty in the last 48 hours, most notably his presser on behalf of the Hughes family. That was simply first class in my eyes.

I would hate for the 1st test to be postponed/canned, but one can understand if it is.

Fingers crossed our boys rally for Phil, and put in a spirited, gritty performance in memory of their mate. The type of performance that typified Phil as a cricketer.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:32 am

I agree that it's probably up to Clarke whether the test goes ahead.

Bumbles idea of applause on 63 is also an awesome idea.

Just watching the presser with James Sutherland and he said that he is encouraging every cricketer to wear black arm bands this weekend.

He also said that for junior cricket this weekend, instead of having to retire at 50, they will retire on 63, which is just brilliant.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Panther » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:41 pm

To say this has shaken the Australian cricketing community would be an understatement.
Thousands of us across the country are now on the eve of going onto the ground , with new found apprehension and lets face it maybe even fear.
I just don't have that Friday excitement as the weekend looms and cricket approaches.

But, I am reminded of something one of my team mates said a few seasons back to me.

I was standing on a ground in the Adelaide Hills , fielding at cover. It was about 400 degrees the opposition were about 2 for 9 million and we still had several overs to bowl.
I wandered over to him at point and said " This is the worst days cricket in my whole life ".
Safe to say his reply made me change my whole outlook on the situation, when he stated " No way, where else in the world can you do this. Play on a beautiful oval with 20 plus other guys who want to play cricket with us ".

So tomorrow it's about going to play cricket with my buddies and 20 plus other guys who will do the same.

Getting out onto the Gabba next week may be the biggest victory of all. Win, lose or draw.

If the boys in the Baggy Green do walk onto the gabba next week, it will be one of the most courageous efforts in a long line of achievements and to me the result will run a very distant second.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Personally I'm not sure if I'm ready to sit down and watch Mitchell Johnson try and knock someone over (however figuratively).

I keep thinking back to last summer's jubilation in the "break your ******* arm" statement and now looking back at it and feeling sick.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:21 pm

jo172 wrote:Personally I'm not sure if I'm ready to sit down and watch Mitchell Johnson try and knock someone over (however figuratively).

I keep thinking back to last summer's jubilation in the "break your ******* arm" statement and now looking back at it and feeling sick.

Hadn't read your post but was about to start a thread 'has our game changed forever'

A huge topic at work today was will Mitch Johnson be the same bowler he was

How will the Aussie public respond to Mitchs tactics of last summer against arguably one of our most hated opponents in India
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby carey » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:20 pm

What are people thoughts on the first test going ahead? The reason I ask this, Last night at assoscation training I simply couldn't get the Hughes incident out of my head. Every ball I bowled was full, I was just that worried of bowling anything short and then when I asked to bat I simply couldn't. We spoke about it before and during training and at times had a huge lump in the throat.

This from just a fan, Imagine the grife Watson, Lyon, Haddin and especially Warner would be going through? IMO, It simply can not be played. I know it's a huge finacal thing to all involved but, Surely some things are just bigger than money. If my mind set was like that just at training, How the hell can these elite sportsman front up probably 2 days after a funeral. Simply can not be played.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2803 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby bennymacca » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:39 am

Just saw the Clarke presser this morning. Once again he has been so impressive but no idea how they can even think about playing this Thursday.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/we-loved ... 2014-11-29
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:03 am

bennymacca wrote:Just saw the Clarke presser this morning. Once again he has been so impressive but no idea how they can even think about playing this Thursday.

Agree I'm struggling to get motivated to play today and I don't even know the bloke

I guess it's the only thing they know and probably the best way they feel they can pay tribute to him

They all probably have that dream of hitting a 100 for him on day 1 of the Gabba test.

They will know they are not mentally prepared but the result will be irrelevant just being out there will be the tribute

That's my opinion on what the players maybe thinking

Clarke has been top shelf and has earnt the respect of the Australian public
whufc
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:17 am

bennymacca wrote:Just saw the Clarke presser this morning. Once again he has been so impressive but no idea how they can even think about playing this Thursday.

How well did he keep himself together, I had tears swelling about 5 seconds in.
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:38 pm

carey wrote:What are people thoughts on the first test going ahead? The reason I ask this, Last night at assoscation training I simply couldn't get the Hughes incident out of my head. Every ball I bowled was full, I was just that worried of bowling anything short and then when I asked to bat I simply couldn't. We spoke about it before and during training and at times had a huge lump in the throat.

This from just a fan, Imagine the grife Watson, Lyon, Haddin and especially Warner would be going through? IMO, It simply can not be played. I know it's a huge finacal thing to all involved but, Surely some things are just bigger than money. If my mind set was like that just at training, How the hell can these elite sportsman front up probably 2 days after a funeral. Simply can not be played.

Doubt they'll play it, think they will try to reschedule it after the Sydney test, which won't be easy with the fixtures.

Watching Clarke's press conference was very hard.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby locky801 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:12 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
carey wrote:What are people thoughts on the first test going ahead? The reason I ask this, Last night at assoscation training I simply couldn't get the Hughes incident out of my head. Every ball I bowled was full, I was just that worried of bowling anything short and then when I asked to bat I simply couldn't. We spoke about it before and during training and at times had a huge lump in the throat.

Doubt they'll play it, think they will try to reschedule it after the Sydney test, which won't be easy with the fixtures.

Watching Clarke's press conference was very hard.

So so sad watching that statement from Michael Clarke, tears flowing once again, i honestly can't see the 1st test being played next week. I think Michael's reaction shows how very very deep this has cut
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3695 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby locky801 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:32 pm

Has just been announced First Test has been postponed,

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/hughes-f ... 2014-11-29
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3695 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby whufc » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:48 pm

locky801 wrote:Has just been announced First Test has been postponed,

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/hughes-f ... 2014-11-29

Fair enough and probably the most sensible decision
whufc
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:52 am

Can any one give a firm date for first test ?
morning session not played?/ moved until Friday start?/ Not payed at all?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:00 am

shoe boy wrote:Can any one give a firm date for first test ?
morning session not played?/ moved until Friday start?/ Not payed at all?

i thought i heard somewhere that it had been postponed until january, with the adelaide oval test becoming the first test, but i just checked on cricket.com.au and there is no mention of that

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/cricket- ... 2014-12-01
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket