SANFL Club Finances

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Club Finances

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:29 am

Booney wrote:So almost half the SANFL’s debt comes from helping Port. In addition, the SANFL is still incurring a cost of about $1.3 million a year to maintain Footy Park for Crows training

So Adelaide pay no rent and it costs the SANFL about $1.3 million a year to keep the facility up to standard for Adelaide to train on?

Right, let the several hundred posts relating to this erupt unabated.

25 years rent free and now $1.3m per year to keep the ground up to spec.

Right, go........

Spot on. Just imagine how much it will have cost the SANFL in 16 years from now.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby darley16 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:53 am

And to think i only had distrust for Port Power, Crows now sicken me just as much. The never ending greed of the state's 2 AFL clubs who were born from and given their life-blood by the SANFL is sickening in the extreme. Listening to the pathetic insipid John Olson continually say the SANFL purpose is that of a feeder competition to the AFL is an insult to our clubs, the competition and belittles all who compete in the SANFL.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby JK » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:02 pm

darley16 wrote:And to think i only had distrust for Port Power, Crows now sicken me just as much. The never ending greed of the state's 2 AFL clubs who were born from and given their life-blood by the SANFL is sickening in the extreme. Listening to the pathetic insipid John Olson continually say the SANFL purpose is that of a feeder competition to the AFL is an insult to our clubs, the competition and belittles all who compete in the SANFL.

Yep, that was uncomfortable to listen to. The greatest shame in football these days, is the attitude from the top that has filtered down of offering young people the opportunity to forge a career in football. But if you're too old (which might only be 23) then tough shit, you can't have the opportunity to make a career out of it in a lesser league.

Great to offer hope of a career to teenagers, but once you're on the scrap heap (after having done the same amount of work) noone gives a rats about you having a footballing career. Despite the fact that so many mature-aged decent state league players have been picked up and performed servicably at AFL level in recent years.

Anyway, I'm going OT .. Footy's not in a great place over here and for those of us that love the SANFL, we continue to fear for the future.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Ironically if the SANFL had a better standing as a genuine 2nd tier competition then potentially the SANFL would not have as many problems with the grassroots/country footy and the payments players are receiving and the need for clubs to sustain these payments to survive.

A few years back you would never see an AFL player delisted and then head straight to the bush, now it happens probably 50% of the time.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby JK » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:Ironically if the SANFL had a better standing as a genuine 2nd tier competition then potentially the SANFL would not have as many problems with the grassroots/country footy and the payments players are receiving and the need for clubs to sustain these payments to survive.

A few years back you would never see an AFL player delisted and then head straight to the bush, now it happens probably 50% of the time.

I think old (in footy terms) players are treated with contempt from the top. Surely if say the WAFL, VFL and SANFL were Semi-Professional (a D-League setup or the like), then the pool and quality of mature age players increases for AFL clubs?

Although we shouldn't be taking away the millions needed to find that rare diamond from Ireland, Africa or Canada. :roll:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Just had a thought, maybe an AFL mid season draft may not be all that bad if it keeps more mature players in the SANFL in the hope of being picked up mid season.
Thoughts?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:51 pm

As I have been saying for the last 3 years

The SANFL within 5 years will be a complete feeder comp something similar to an under 23 Comp with each side allowed 5 overage players. There will be no SANFL reserves with the u/18 playing before the SANFL league games.

All Crows and Power games will be played as curtain raisers and part of the pre match AFL entertainment

There will be a mid season draft

IMHO anyone who doesn't think we are heading down that path is kidding themselves
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby UK Fan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:39 am

Centrals posted a $163k loss in 2014
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Hazydog » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:26 am

UK Fan wrote:Centrals posted a $163k loss in 2014

Yep - and on the back of equally poor financial results over the last few years have made the decision to effectively cut $150K from their "football operations" expenditure, (unless of course they can generate more revenue which is proving to be very difficult.)

Will be interesting to see how this manifests itself - ie reduced ability to recruit, reduction in coaching staff etc...
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:35 am

I understand it has resulted in a cut in coaching staff.
That's only my understanding.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby am Bays » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:36 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I understand it has resulted in a cut in coaching staff.
That's only my understanding.

Understandable ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks for understanding.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby o five » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:04 pm

whufc wrote:As I have been saying for the last 3 years

The SANFL within 5 years will be a complete feeder comp something similar to an under 23 Comp with each side allowed 5 overage players. There will be no SANFL reserves with the u/18 playing before the SANFL league games.

All Crows and Power games will be played as curtain raisers and part of the pre match AFL entertainment

IMHO anyone who doesn't think we are heading down that path is kidding themselves

Agree 100% The comp is rooted already :(
I`m still going to every game though.
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Mark_Beswick » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:01 pm

What was Centrals real cash loss if you remove depreciation?
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Tech1 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:40 pm

Can't disagree with any of that, really wish there is some miracle and things can start heading in the right direction, once it's gone that's it, it wont come back, once that mid season draft happens it will be a steady decline of talent and interest and to be honest it seems like it's only the minority like us who care, port and crows people don't give a shit about the SANFL.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby sjt » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:52 pm

Interesting comments by John Olsen on the radio this week. My recollection or interpretation was, when asked if Adelaide and port in the sanfl had financially benefited the other clubs he said basically no or it would be marginal. When asked if their inclusion had been a success he said, the seven ratings far exceeded expectations and they even broadcast on their main station. My point, so what. Who cares what the ratings are if no financial benefit is derived. Does anyone know if the sanfl paid for these ratings I.e for the coverage or did the crows get their sponsors for the broadcasting costs as they had stated they would?
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:37 am

Is pretty easy to think we are not. The afl won't play the magpies and crows games before the afl.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby stan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:58 am

sjt wrote:Interesting comments by John Olsen on the radio this week. My recollection or interpretation was, when asked if Adelaide and port in the sanfl had financially benefited the other clubs he said basically no or it would be marginal. When asked if their inclusion had been a success he said, the seven ratings far exceeded expectations and they even broadcast on their main station. My point, so what. Who cares what the ratings are if no financial benefit is derived. Does anyone know if the sanfl paid for these ratings I.e for the coverage or did the crows get their sponsors for the broadcasting costs as they had stated they would?

Good ratings can assist in getting sponsors on board.

But John Olsen has the credibility of on ex premier who resigned mid term due to question deals with phone manufacturers [emoji6]
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:48 am

kickinit wrote:

Is pretty easy to think we are not. The afl won't play the magpies and crows games before the afl.

Your in for a shock when the new SANFL fixture comes out in the next month with some curtain raisers

Was also curtain raisers only a couple of seasons ago
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:12 am

whufc wrote:Was also curtain raisers only a couple of seasons ago

...which were brilliantly successful.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013