Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:51 am

Looking at this current government, they have pretty much set themselves up to fail.

They spent the entire previous parliament in opposition belittling the independents and minor parties for compromising in order to pass bills, as if it is a weakness to be pragmatic and realistic. At the same time they were highly critical of the ALP government for reaching agreement with the Greens in order to form government, part of this required adjusting policies to reach that agreement. Then the constant attack on Gillard about lies and such went to an extreme, the promises made (especially carbon tax etc) were made with the assumption of an ALP government being formed, but the ALP did not win the election and were forced to curry favour with the Greens and other indies/minors in order to form government - things changed.

Now they win government in their own right, but require support from independents and minors in the Senate in order to do business. Problem is they have created a parliamentary culture where compromise and negotiation is considered weak and now everyone is holding out in a dick measuring contest. Along with that, every single variance to what was promised prior to forming government is going to be called out as a "Lie" as a result of the attacks on Gillard.

A number of the policies actually have some merit, the most recent Higher Education reforms is an example, however the Senate is there to be a house of review and it needs to do its job. They need to foster a culture of collaboration rather than "we are the government and we know best" attitude, we will likely get better, more balanced legislation as a result.

They need to use Leyonhjelm, Madigan, Xenophon, Whish-Wilson & Day to the overall benefit of the country, there are actually some quite astute operators in there.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:56 am

Very good post.

Not sure I agree with you on the higher education reforms but things like the GP co payment I had no real issues with, but as you say, they created a culture of negativity which has come back to bite them

I think they based that strategy on winning enough seats to govern both houses in their own right, which has spectacularly backfired.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:44 pm

bennymacca wrote:Very good post.

Not sure I agree with you on the higher education reforms but things like the GP co payment I had no real issues with, but as you say, they created a culture of negativity which has come back to bite them

I think they based that strategy on winning enough seats to govern both houses in their own right, which has spectacularly backfired.

Problem with things like a GP co-payment is the unintended consequences, eg people may hesitate on visiting the doctor for things that seem minor but may be more sinister, that left unchecked end up costing more as a result.

I am not suggesting that it is bad policy, but it may be modified to get better outcomes.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Yeah that's true
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Problem with things like a GP co-payment is the unintended consequences, eg people may hesitate on visiting the doctor for things that seem minor but may be more sinister, that left unchecked end up costing more as a result.

I am not suggesting that it is bad policy, but it may be modified to get better outcomes.

The doctors don't have to charge the co-payment
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1140 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby shoe boy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:51 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:

8-} The doctors don't have to charge the co-payment

shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 491 times
Been liked: 208 times

Postby stan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:59 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:

This is true but thats like saying the power companies didnt need to pass on the carbon tax......
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Psyber » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:52 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:

No, but if they don't they not only lose the $7.00 but also the Medicare bulk-billing incentives so the Medicare rebate is reduced further and the net loss per patient is substantially more than $7.00. I'm not a GP and so I don't know the exact figures.

On the medical fora some GPs are floating the idea they may get away with charging the $7.00 co-payment but not actually collecting it thus ducking the additional penalty for non-compliance which is greater than the $7.00.

Most GPs are totally against the co-payment concept.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:41 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:

A lot of GPs already effectively do, many that used to fully bulk-bill now charge a Medicare gap as they do not consider the Medicare payment a large enough recognition of their work.

The co-payment effectively just reduces the Medicare payment received by the doctor, but has been promoted as a co-payment rather than a drop in the doctor's income/additional expense.

Generally in business additional costs to providing a product are incorporated into the price of the product. The doctors are obviously entitled to absorb this additional cost if they wish, but it would not be a sensible business decision.

The main negative in the public's eyes is that doctors that did not previously charge a "gap" would likely now start.

I did make the point previously that people may hesitate going to the doctor and as a result miss something being diagnosed, there are also potential benefits to that however. 1 - This may reduce cases of overdiagnosis, and I guess in a more sinister theme, 2 - may assist with controlling population growth. :?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby once_were_warriors » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Just raise the medicare levy by .25% and be done with it.

Buy half the fighter planes they need

Build/buy half the subs they need.

Remove paid maternity leave in the Public Service.

Increase the GST by 2.5%

Seriously look at reducing capital gains tax concessions on shares, negative gearing on property , over the next 15 years.

Reduce diesel fuel rebate .

Just get more revenue to support the fundamentals (health, education) rather than just continually slashing funding.
If at first you don't succeed , then destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Building half the subs does not half the cost. Might drop it by 25% at a guess
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:10 pm

budge smuggler Tone is now sounding like the boy who cried wolf

you made your bed in it.............

also, I laugh when the Government of the day (either libs or lab) accuse the other side of playing politics.......well I thought that's what the game was - politics
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12323 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:15 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:budge smuggler Tone is now sounding like the boy who cried wolf

also, I laugh when the Government of the day (either libs or lab) accuse the other side of playing politics.......well I thought that's what the game was - politics

I can not believe the worst PM in our history is debating TRUST !!!!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:18 pm

shoe boy wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:budge smuggler Tone is now sounding like the boy who cried wolf

That may be too big a call there shoe boy, you are showing way too much respect to Billy McMahon
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby stan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:22 pm

bennymacca wrote:Building half the subs does not half the cost. Might drop it by 25% at a guess

Yeah most likely you are right with that.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby shoe boy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:28 pm

The house is going off and THE speaker is at her best.

Hockey also on about trust and honesty.

are these people real.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby shoe boy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:29 pm

shoe boy wrote:

That may be too big a call there shoe boy, you are showing way too much respect to Billy McMahon

LGIL sorry mate never seen anything like this crowd
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby RustyCage » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:31 pm

How many people kicked out so far?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 934 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:37 pm

RustyCage wrote:How many people kicked out so far?

possibly on par with how many got booted out the other day

Bishop is so biased it is a joke

the government wonder why they cant pass any legislation, but if you have such a biased speaker as an opposition why would you bother???

This would probably never happen, but I reckon for 1 sitting week the opposition should just sit there and let the government do there own thing.....I mean how many voters really watch question time. The opposition are better off using the media to their advantage when possible
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:38 pm

and if we are talking trust, than really you have Gillard on par with TOne at the moment
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics