A-League Season 2014/15

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

Re: A-League Season 2014/15

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:37 am

Very ignorant 0-0 comments. The reason they get point is coz its a draw exactly the same whether it's 0-0, 2-2 or 8-8

Went to EPL this year and the nil all draw they played in was one of the most entertaining games west ham have had this year

I would rather see a tight nil all than a romp in the park 2-0 against ten men.

The funny part is it's only in Aus that nil alls are seen as such a big deal

The game is not designed to be a goal scoring fest that is why there is rules such as offside and there is goal keepers.

Just because the AFL is trying to erase the art of defending and trying to turn there sport into basketball doesn't mean every sport should follow suit

It makes me laugh when AFL fans with little interest in the world game try and tell fans of the most popular sport in the world what would make there game more entertaining. Maybe AFL fans should listen to the rest of the world about what would make there game more entertaining
Last edited by whufc on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5612 times
Been liked: 2541 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:44 am

I'm no soccer nuffy, that's for sure, but how 0-0 can be "entertaining" is simply beyond me.

Ignorant? Maybe. But rewarding both sides for no being able to score is, well, pointless IMO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7523 times
Been liked: 10829 times

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:49 am

Booney wrote:I'm no soccer nuffy, that's for sure, but how 0-0 can be "entertaining" is simply beyond me.

Ignorant? Maybe. But rewarding both sides for no being able to score is, well, pointless IMO.

A nil draw is a tight battle with a result up for grabs right up until the last kick of the game.

If no team is good enough to score than that result 0-0 still stands

Next thing you will be asking for bonus points if teams score more than 3 goal etc etc, or maybe they could decide the results with corners being the deciding factor

It's no different to AFL game in the wet that ends 7 goals to 6, or a test match that finishes in a draw, in there own way they can be entertaining
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:07 pm

Absolutely a drawn test can be entertaining, but if it's the first of a series then the board remains 0-0.

Corners? Bonus points? Didn't mention any of that...you did. So pick yourself up, dust off your shin pads and get on with it. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Booney wrote:I'm no soccer nuffy, that's for sure, but how 0-0 can be "entertaining" is simply beyond me.

0-0 can still be entertaining, because you don't know that's going to be the result until the final whistle. No doubt there can be nil alls that are boring, when a team parks the bus or both clubs have their eye toward a more important mid-week game or something (more common in Europe).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Booney wrote:Absolutely a drawn test can be entertaining, but if it's the first of a series then the board remains 0-0.

Corners? Bonus points? Didn't mention any of that...you did. So pick yourself up, dust off your shin pads and get on with it. :D

Those suggestion are just ones which I have heard thrown around in Aussie media from time to time which also include the have no offside, play to penalties if a draw etc etc

Which is funny because while I was in Europe last month all the serious football talk is about looking at getting back to a more standard football rather than the current ones that swerve like a fish, also looking at regulations around boots rather than the currents ones which have cuts and grooves in them to make the ball move more.
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:27 pm

They only get a third of the points for a draw too, not half.

And I've got no problem with the low scoring nature of soccer. It's part of the excitement of the game, that a team can be thoroughly thrashed, get lucky to not concede, then score on the counter and win. That doesn't happen in many other sports. If an sanfl team played against hawthorn they would lose by 15 goals every time and would never ever have a chance. In soccer they might still win the vast majority of the time but that small chance is what keeps people going.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

A-League Season 2014/15

Postby Jim05 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:30 pm

I watched a Bundesliga game last year that ended 0-0 but shots on goal was 18-12, the keepers pulled off some world class saves and there was even 2 saved pens, was a cracking end to end game. Then you get games that finish 2-0 or 3-0 with maybe 4 or 5 shots on goal total.
The best game in the World doesnt need tinkering with
The finals are another bug bear of mine, soccer has been and should always be first past the post, copying the yanks system and having finals is crap
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3565 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby RB » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:47 pm

I'm not sure finals are the American system, I mean the NSL had finals a decade before the MLS existed. I see the finals as an Australian thing; arguing that we should have a first post the post system because they have one in Britain, Europe etc. is IMO just another example of the cultural cringe in Australian soccer. I mean should the Sanfl get rid of its finals series?

If you prefer first past the post that's fine (getting rid of the finals might be more of an option if we had promotion/relegation, or a more established cup), but I prefer finals in the A-League due to the exciting end to the season it creates, and the crowds of 50k etc. that wouldn't turn up otherwise.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:56 pm

RB wrote:I'm not sure finals are the American system, I mean the NSL had finals a decade before the MLS existed. I see the finals as an Australian thing; arguing that we should have a first post the post system because they have one in Britain, Europe etc. is IMO just another example of the cultural cringe in Australian soccer. I mean should the Sanfl get rid of its finals series?

If you prefer first past the post that's fine (getting rid of the finals might be more of an option if we had promotion/relegation, or a more established cup), but I prefer finals in the A-League due to the exciting end to the season it creates, and the crowds of 50k etc. that wouldn't turn up otherwise.

The NASL and Anerican soccer league were running in the 1930's with finals. They also had many differant variations for points over the journey to try and make the game more attacking minded, something the NSL tried briefly.
Jim05
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:38 pm

Jim05 wrote:I watched a Bundesliga game last year that ended 0-0 but shots on goal was 18-12, the keepers pulled off some world class saves and there was even 2 saved pens, was a cracking end to end game. Then you get games that finish 2-0 or 3-0 with maybe 4 or 5 shots on goal total.
The best game in the World doesnt need tinkering with
The finals are another bug bear of mine, soccer has been and should always be first past the post, copying the yanks system and having finals is crap

That's one thing I love about the world game is that rule changes are taken extremely seriously.

Evening somethingas simple as the magic spray at free kicks was trialled for a year before being implemented world wide

For all FIFA's faults they imho have got 90plus per cent of rule changes to the game correct with imho 'passive offside' ring the only debatable one

The game played now is still extremely similar to what was played many moons ago

It's one area the AFL could follow suit
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:42 pm

Personally I'm not a fan of finals in soccer BUT I think the A-League is in a position where it has to have finals if only for the money grab it provides for the current teams

IF we could have 10 financially solid teams for a extended period then maybe the a-league could consider getting rid of finals

I guess the counter argument is the 'minor round'attendances may grow with no finals as each games importance would be increased
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:45 pm

whufc wrote:
It makes me laugh when AFL fans with little interest in the world game try and tell fans of the most popular sport in the world what would make there game more entertaining. Maybe AFL fans should listen to the rest of the world about what would make there game more entertaining

It's Australian Rules Football, not AFL. ;)

If you're happy with teams being rewarded for 90 mintue snoozefests, that's fine by me. But don't spend too long wondering why the game plays second fiddle to the biggest sport in Australia and will do for some time to come.

On a side note, how long have goalies been able to wear gloves that look like party pizza boxes?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

If you're happy with teams being rewarded for 90 mintue snoozefests, that's fine by me. But don't spend too long wondering why the game plays second fiddle to the biggest sport in Australia and will do for some time to come.

On a side note, how long have goalies been able to wear gloves that look like party pizza boxes?

Agree keepers gloves are becoming a joke, at least now they have banned 'splints' that were been placed in them

shouldnt you be wondering why the AFL are happy to have there 120 minute snooze fest which play 89th fiddle to the rest of the world and will so for the entirety of human exsistance

All my point is is that any sport can have its snooze fest but in each case it doesn't 100% reflect back to the scoreboard
Last edited by whufc on Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby legsman » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Booney wrote:It's Australian Rules Football, not AFL. If you're happy with teams being rewarded for 90 mintue snoozefests, that's fine by me. But don't spend too long wondering why the game plays second fiddle to the biggest sport in Australia and will do for some time to come.On a side note, how long have goalies been able to wear gloves that look like party pizza boxes

:roll:
legsman
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:07 pm

legsman wrote:
Booney wrote:It's Australian Rules Football, not AFL. If you're happy with teams being rewarded for 90 mintue snoozefests, that's fine by me. But don't spend too long wondering why the game plays second fiddle to the biggest sport in Australia and will do for some time to come.On a side note, how long have goalies been able to wear gloves that look like party pizza boxes

:roll:

(-|
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:10 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

Agree keepers gloves are becoming a joke, at least now they have banned 'splints' that were been placed in them

shouldnt you be wondering why the AFL are happy to have there 120 minute snooze fest which play 89th fiddle to the rest of the world and will so for the entirety of human exsistance

All my point is is that any sport can have its snooze fest but in each case it doesn't 100% reflect back to the scoreboard

Play 0-0 draws, that's fine, but don't reward both teams for it with a premiership point. Not difficult.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:22 pm

Booney wrote:I went to my first ever Reds game Saturday night.

Yes, with WSW being a man down Adelaide should have won by more than the 2-0 that they did. Possession was dominated by Adelaide and I think the WSW had only one shot at goal for the night, that wasn't even on target.

My mate has been bugging me to go for about 3 years, I succumbed to his pressure and went.

At $35 it's far too expensive. I'd be filthy if I paid that much to see a 0-0 affair. The atmosphere provided by the Reds cheer squad is good, but again, I'm there to watch the sport, not the "chanting wars" going on the in stands.

All in all, I won't be back in a hurry.

On a side note, my idea drew some positive comments from around me.

My thought - When a game is a 0-0 draw no team gets awarded a point. When its 1-1 or 2-2 etc sure, get a point but at 0-0 how can anyone be rewarded with premiership points?

$35 a head is how United made more money from 1 game at AO than the AFL sides do all year ;)
Last edited by Jim05 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim05
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:22 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

There are certainly plenty of AFL games that make me wish I was watching a 0-0 draw in soccer. Any game with Melbourne or st Kilda in the past few years.

Seeing a low scoring close result is better than a high scoring thrashing every day of the week.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:43 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:I went to my first ever Reds game Saturday night.

Yes, with WSW being a man down Adelaide should have won by more than the 2-0 that they did. Possession was dominated by Adelaide and I think the WSW had only one shot at goal for the night, that wasn't even on target.

My mate has been bugging me to go for about 3 years, I succumbed to his pressure and went.

At $35 it's far too expensive. I'd be filthy if I paid that much to see a 0-0 affair. The atmosphere provided by the Reds cheer squad is good, but again, I'm there to watch the sport, not the "chanting wars" going on the in stands.

All in all, I won't be back in a hurry.

On a side note, my idea drew some positive comments from around me.

My thought - When a game is a 0-0 draw no team gets awarded a point. When its 1-1 or 2-2 etc sure, get a point but at 0-0 how can anyone be rewarded with premiership points?

$35 a head is how United made more money from 1 game at AO than the AFL sides do all year ;)

The SANFL don't run Uniteds books... ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer