eric

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: South Whyalla

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

Postby morell » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Diknbones wrote:Talking about umpires lol
Bored are we?
Would have thought the peeps from the B-Lodge would be grateful.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby cracka » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:28 pm

Anyone who thinks umpires are sh*t should grow some balls & take up umpiring. I F***** dare ya. :)
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby morell » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Done plenty of it.

#itsnotthathard #getoveryourselves #getitright #whydonthashtagsworkonsafooty
morell
Coach

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:16 pm

i do pass on information from games i have had to umpire and had issues with im not gonna bottle that up being called names being abused of the ground all fun for me i guess

i use to be like many and have a go at umpires i decided i would become one i have learnt so much like being in correct position a better understanding of the rules and what to look for when you work well with the other umpire you tend to make better calls because you both work together and see more of the play

a spectator who watches AFL then comes to watch SAAFL would not understand

but me and LM did work great together think a few from the crowd told us we should unpire afl the standard was that great :)
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Jetters » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:33 pm

morell wrote:
Q. wrote:They're always gonna get some wrong, all you can ask for is a little consistency.
You see I disagree. And this gives them an excuse. Their first and by far most important job is to get the decision right. That’s it.

If they're not doing that, then practice more…

Sorry but umpires are not holier than thou, in fact just the opposite, this trend of late to over protect them and treat them like princess unicorns has given them an ego and sense of entitlement to do what they please, which only makes matters worse.

Honestly think our sport is the worst adjudicated in the world. From the top to the bottom.

What a load of crap. 'Holier than thou'....where else does society (gradually less and less so) allow people to act to other people in the way people behave towards umpires?

The umpiring at AFL level is outstanding, they rarely make a mistake, and when they do they are slight mistakes.

It is bizarre how little football supporters know about the rules of the game they are so passionate about, no one keeps up with rule changes.

The best example is the 'holding the ball' rule, most people don't know what it is, yet you have a go at umpires constantly. Morell, could you state the rule (without cheating and looking up the definition!)??

The standard of umpiring is proportional to the standard you play.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby South B/Hill Roos » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Are Smithfield still under the rule of last season how do people think they will go in div 6
South B/Hill Roos
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby South B/Hill Roos » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:02 pm

South B/Hill Roos wrote:Are Smithfield still under the rule of last season how do people think they will go in div 6

I've been told there going to div 5
South B/Hill Roos
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby norm11 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:08 pm

South B/Hill Roos wrote:
South B/Hill Roos wrote:Are Smithfield still under the rule of last season how do people think they will go in div 6

How come?? Shouldn't brahma??
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby The Informer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:21 pm

South B/Hill Roos wrote:

Did you forget what username you were logged in as? Lol
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby carey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:53 pm

The_Informer wrote:
South B/Hill Roos wrote:

Certainly looks that way. Lol
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby great catch » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:06 pm

carey wrote:
The_Informer wrote:
South B/Hill Roos wrote:

Certainly looks that way. Lol

Are you still running informer with that tail between your legs???
great catch
Rookie

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby morell » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Jetters wrote:
morell wrote:
Q. wrote:They're always gonna get some wrong, all you can ask for is a little consistency.
You see I disagree. And this gives them an excuse. Their first and by far most important job is to get the decision right. That’s it.

Sorry but umpires are not holier than thou, in fact just the opposite, this trend of late to over protect them and treat them like princess unicorns has given them an ego and sense of entitlement to do what they please, which only makes matters worse.

Honestly think our sport is the worst adjudicated in the world. From the top to the bottom.

What a load of crap. 'Holier than thou'....where else does society (gradually less and less so) allow people to act to other people in the way people behave towards umpires?
Erm, everywhere?? I make a mistake at work, I get yelled at. I make two mistakes, I get yelled at. I make three mistakes at work, I don't get yelled at, I get a formal warning. Fourth mistake? Pink slip. Make a mistake playing sport, you get chastised and/or dropped. Make a mistake as a child, you get scolded or educated.

Nearly everything I can think of has a higher degree of transparency and accountability than amateur league umpiring. Was this supposed to be some sort of rebuttal? I mean you pretty much walked head first into the pillar of my point....

This attitude towards umpires being special little darlings only makes the standards worse. The shit ones get protected and keep umpiring, the mediocre ones get an out of control ego and the good ones turn into rockstars in their own lunchbox..

Jetters wrote:The umpiring at AFL level is outstanding, they rarely make a mistake, and when they do they are slight mistakes.
Ey? Its shit. Its historical levels of shit. Its Mount Vesuvius levels of shit. Its pretty much universal how shit it is.

Admittedly a lot of it has to do with the systems and confines that they need to work in, but, how full time professional umpires can completely and utterly **** up the most fundamental of decisions is astounding.

Your posts, as usual, are full of rhetoric and little to no substance, if you bothered to actually employ a skerrick of reading comprehension, you would have seen only a few posts back that I posted a paper which quotes the AFL itself that they get 85.9% of their decisions right. or, 15% wrong. Whilst pretty good for our level, that's completely farcical for our supposed elite level of sport IMO. If they make 80 decisions a game, that's 12 that are wrong!! 4 a quarter!!

And that's using AFL internal figures, shudder to think what a neutral football observer would come up with!

Jetters wrote:It is bizarre how little football supporters know about the rules of the game they are so passionate about, no one keeps up with rule changes.

The best example is the 'holding the ball' rule, most people don't know what it is, yet you have a go at umpires constantly. Morell, could you state the rule (without cheating and looking up the definition!)??
Using the holding the ball rule for your argument, a rule, which the AFL itself admits umpires **** up more than any other. Which every AFL person of any notoriety has publicly bemoaned, which this very next season, 2015, is being completely overhauled.

All because its open to interpretation, so you got one thing right, i don't have to look it up, because the rule itself is grey, it could be argued that no tackle is HTB and at the same time every tackle is HTB. It's beyond stupid.

I think the vexation you're stumbling around is the general consensus on what is "prior opportunity" and the difficulty in putting that interpretation into the black and white decision making rule book.

Jetters wrote:The standard of umpiring is proportional to the standard you play.
No shit captain obvious.
morell
Coach

Postby Yank Man » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:30 pm

40 years in footy and I've never seen an umpire change his decision. Guess that thinks he got it right. In fact 60/40 would be awesome but I'm the glass half full kind of person, play on. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Jetters » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:41 pm

morell wrote:
Jetters wrote:
morell wrote:

Erm, everywhere?? I make a mistake at work, I get yelled at. I make two mistakes, I get yelled at. I make three mistakes at work, I don't get yelled at, I get a formal warning. Fourth mistake? Pink slip. Make a mistake playing sport, you get chastised and/or dropped. Make a mistake as a child, you get scolded or educated.

Nearly everything I can think of has a higher degree of transparency and accountability than amateur league umpiring. Was this supposed to be some sort of rebuttal? I mean you pretty much walked head first into the pillar of my point....

This attitude towards umpires being special little darlings only makes the standards worse. The shit ones get protected and keep umpiring, the mediocre ones get an out of control ego and the good ones turn into rockstars in their own lunchbox..

Jetters wrote:The umpiring at AFL level is outstanding, they rarely make a mistake, and when they do they are slight mistakes.
Ey? Its shit. Its historical levels of shit. Its Mount Vesuvius levels of shit. Its pretty much universal how shit it is.

Admittedly a lot of it has to do with the systems and confines that they need to work in, but, how full time professional umpires can completely and utterly **** up the most fundamental of decisions is astounding.

Your posts, as usual, are full of rhetoric and little to no substance, if you bothered to actually employ a skerrick of reading comprehension, you would have seen only a few posts back that I posted a paper which quotes the AFL itself that they get 85.9% of their decisions right. or, 15% wrong. Whilst pretty good for our level, that's completely farcical for our supposed elite level of sport IMO. If they make 80 decisions a game, that's 12 that are wrong!! 4 a quarter!!

And that's using AFL internal figures, shudder to think what a neutral football observer would come up with!

Jetters wrote:It is bizarre how little football supporters know about the rules of the game they are so passionate about, no one keeps up with rule changes.

Using the holding the ball rule for your argument, a rule, which the AFL itself admits umpires **** up more than any other. Which every AFL person of any notoriety has publicly bemoaned, which this very next season, 2015, is being completely overhauled.

All because its open to interpretation, so you got one thing right, i don't have to look it up, because the rule itself is grey, it could be argued that no tackle is HTB and at the same time every tackle is HTB. It's beyond stupid.

I think the vexation you're stumbling around is the general consensus on what is "prior opportunity" and the difficulty in putting that interpretation into the black and white decision making rule book.

Jetters wrote:The standard of umpiring is proportional to the standard you play.
No shit captain obvious.

Babble, babble, babble....

Your employer speaks to you like a spectator speaks to an umpire? Rubbish

You didn't even the read the paper you posted....
14% of 'interpretative' decisions....not all decisions....and having a go at me for reading comprehension.
Which = approx. 4 per game...not quarter. And everyone acknowledges it is a ridiculously hard game to umpire.

AFL umpires are not full time.

That is a terrible and totally inaccurate summary of the rule. It could, under no circumstance, be argued that no tackle is holding the ball.
The rule is not grey, the definition of prior opportunity is defined as written in the rule book and on video produced by the AFL, It is just so hard to adjudicate at AFL speed.
Jetters
Reserves

Postby Jetters » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Amateur League umpires have a low level of accountability because there is no one willing to do it.

Don't you think those people involved in the SAAFL and its umpiring want their to be a higher standard of umpiring??

But what can they do about it? An umpire is shit, they get the flick, no umpire = no game.
Jetters
Reserves

Postby marbles » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Yank Man wrote:40 years in footy and I've never seen an umpire change his decision. Guess that thinks he got it right. In fact 60/40 would be awesome but I'm the glass half full kind of person, play on. :D

If an umpire is yet to change his decision in all this time, can only mean one thing ... The umpire is always right

its the person whoever employed the bloke to be an umpire is the one to blame :)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby morell » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:59 am

Jetters wrote:Babble, babble, babble....
hahah, there there Jetters, there there.

Jetters wrote:Your employer speaks to you like a spectator speaks to an umpire? Rubbish
Spot the spoilt Unley kid!!

Hate to break it to you buddy, but not everyone works in air conditioned offices with touchy feely HR departments watching over you.

Some people made their bones by being brickies labourers or digging ditches. I can categorically tell you I have copped some of most vicious sprays you've ever heard for stuffing up a mortar mix. Your naivety would be cute if you weren't always leading with it on internet forums.

But whatever its besides the point, I am not a proponent of umpire abuse, I am a proponent of not giving them excuses they shouldn't need and for improving the standard of umpiring at the amateur level.

Jetters wrote:You didn't even the read the paper you posted....
14% of 'interpretative' decisions....not all decisions....and having a go at me for reading comprehension.
Which = approx. 4 per game...not quarter. And everyone acknowledges it is a ridiculously hard game to umpire.
I read every word.

The author undertook an online survey of the football public on social media, he then analysed those results. He then states:

AFL umpires are primarily judged on their game decisions, of which 85.9 per cent of these decisions are deemed to be correct by the AFL umpiring director (Warner, 2010).

Hence the 14% error rate. That's not survey results, that's not interpretive decisions, that's just plain old 85.9% of all decisions made are deemed correct by the AFL. One could argue that even that figure could be open to debate, I personally think its lower than that, but whatever, the point is:

The paper then goes on to cite a completely different source:

A typical game involves 37 interpretive decisions, meaning the umpires are deemed to make five mistakes a game on average, in keeping with the survey results (AFL Statistics, 2010).

The author has used the figure from the first source, to calculate an error rate of interpretive decisions, of which there are 5 mistakes of that nature a game.

As I said, reading comprehension, its not your strong suit.

Jetters wrote:AFL umpires are not full time.
I thought this changed recently. I stand corrected. They sure are paid a full time wage!

Jetters wrote:That is a terrible and totally inaccurate summary of the rule. It could, under no circumstance, be argued that no tackle is holding the ball.
thats because I didn't summarise the rule you pillock.

Jetters: hey morell, explain <y>
morell: well I dont need to, because the point your trying to make is in fact more pertinent to <x>
Jettters: thats a terrible explanation of <y>
morell: *stares at screen and ponders the human conditon*

Very succinctly the rule in question states that it is HTB if a player has had prior opportunity to dispose of the ball and has not done so correctly after the player has been correctly tackled.

Jetters wrote:The rule is not grey, the definition of prior opportunity is defined as written in the rule book and on video produced by the AFL, It is just so hard to adjudicate at AFL speed.
The problem, which I tried to explain, is that nowhere does it codify, categorically, what does and does not constitute "prior opportunity". This is where interpretation and discretion come in, this is where the AFL tinker and play. This is where everyone gets confused. Is it three steps? Is it 1.5 seconds? Is it 4 metres? Is it 360 degrees? Is it different for a handball or kick? Is it different if you get it contested or uncontested?

The rule is grey.

But far out who cares, its seperate to my point, umpires should not be treated as sacred cows of the game, they should be held accountable when they make mistakes and should be measured for performance. Done. Simple. Muchado about nothing.
morell
Coach

Postby no_remorse28 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:40 am

Am I the only one getting a headache from all this umpire talk? :lol:
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times