Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:55 pm

Rain at the cricket that lasts 90 seconds and the delay goes for > 30 minutes. Infuriating :evil:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:02 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Rain at the cricket that lasts 90 seconds and the delay goes for > 30 minutes. Infuriating :evil:

Have to sweep the water off the covers & outfield....not a 10 second job ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Finding out that I have to pay $280 every year to a pest control company to avoid having a warranty voided.

Surely that's illegal.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Finding out that I have to pay $280 every year to a pest control company to avoid having a warranty voided.

Surely that's illegal.

Read you paperwork! Regular inspection is required to satisfy those heartless bastards that work for insurance companies.....

Only solution I can offer is move to Tasmania.....they don't have them as it's too bloody cold!
heater31

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:37 pm

I'd love to move to Tasmania.

trust me.

I need another bill at the moment like I need herpes. or a punch in the head.

Will someone just buy my old F*******G house! :(

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:42 pm

My point is though, is that I can't think of any other company in the world besides the mafia that says give me money to keep your warranty in check.

It's highway robbery.

Footy Chick

Postby Psyber » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Footy Chick wrote:My point is though, is that I can't think of any other company in the world besides the mafia that says give me money to keep your warranty in check.

It's highway robbery.

It is one of the problems of building new homes, and why when I returned to SA I bought a house built in the late 1980s before some of the more durable sub-slab pesticides were banned. It is also double brick, and has a Colorbond roof with sealed eaves, given I'm in a fire risk area.

I was with a friend who is thinking of building a new home at a display recently, and learned the standard framework from several builders was untreated timber...

And some insurance companies (?most) don't cover insect and vermin damage.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby beeroclock » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:17 pm

heater31 wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Rain at the cricket that lasts 90 seconds and the delay goes for > 30 minutes. Infuriating :evil:

Have to sweep the water off the covers & outfield....not a 10 second job ;)

You poor bugger.
How about you put your feet up for the next 3 days and just watch.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Psyber wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:My point is though, is that I can't think of any other company in the world besides the mafia that says give me money to keep your warranty in check.

It's highway robbery.

It is one of the problems of building new homes, and why when I returned to SA I bought a house built in the late 1980s before some of the more durable sub-slab pesticides were banned. It is also double brick, and has a Colorbond roof with sealed eaves, given I'm in a fire risk area.

I was with a friend who is thinking of building a new home at a display recently, and learned the standard framework from several builders was untreated timber...

Treated timber is not standard. It costs the builder extra to purchase the product, people whinge about the price of building enough as it is.
heater31

Postby kickinit » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:41 am

Psyber wrote:

It's highway robbery.

It will be interesting what happens with these steel homes in years to come. While the steel does have a protective coating on the steel, it were they cut and drill that removes that coating and leaves bare, untreated steel.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:12 am

heater31 wrote:
Psyber wrote:

It's highway robbery.

Treated timber is not standard. It costs the builder extra to purchase the product, people whinge about the price of building enough as it is.

Yes I was told it costs about 10% more for the timber component of the house.
Builders should be upfront and offer it as an option though rather than letting people assume resistant timber is being used as a matter of course.
It is like offering a car with a polythene bag as the petrol tank as "standard" for the industry - no problem because you can't see it and wouldn't think there would be a need to ask.

Some years ago one well known company trying to break into the SA market used to screw down their subbies and turn a blind eye to their retaliatory cost cutting like reducing the cement content of mortar - no problem the warranty is over by the time the mortar starts to full out from between the bricks.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Psyber » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:23 am

kickinit wrote: It will be interesting what happens with these steel homes in years to come. While the steel does have a protective coating on the steel, it were they cut and drill that removes that coating and leaves bare, untreated steel.

Yes I'm aware of that one too.
I asked whether drill holes and cuts were touched up with a galvanising paint and was told there was no need because the galvanised coating spreads across the surface as the drilling and cutting is done... :lol:

I guess it is a good lurk if houses fall apart soon after the warranty expires - it is a work creation scheme.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:06 am

Psyber wrote:
kickinit wrote: It will be interesting what happens with these steel homes in years to come. While the steel does have a protective coating on the steel, it were they cut and drill that removes that coating and leaves bare, untreated steel.

Yes I'm aware of that one too.
I asked whether drill holes and cuts were touched up with a galvanising paint and was told there was no need because the galvanised coating spreads across the surface as the drilling and cutting is done... :lol:

I guess it is a good lurk if houses fall apart soon after the warranty expires - it is a work creation scheme.

Well he is right (though he probably didn't know why) - the zinc coating acts as a sacrificial anode, meaning oxidation will preferentially target the zinc instead of the iron, and so drilling or small scratches won't be an issue, as long as it doesn't get wet.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Psyber » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:08 pm

bennymacca wrote: Well he is right (though he probably didn't know why) - the zinc coating acts as a sacrificial anode, meaning oxidation will preferentially target the zinc instead of the iron, and so drilling or small scratches won't be an issue, as long as it doesn't get wet.

Yes the bigger holes and cut sections are more of a concern, though personally I'd want to be a little more certain there were none of those left not touched up if I were building again.

The last time I built a house I caught the builders setting up to put the bathroom in a corner diagonally opposite where it was supposed to go, and of course they left the wooden floorboards for the upper storey out to get wet and warped despite the fact I'd put a large shed with a concrete floor up first so they didn't need to do that.

Then they tried to tell me they'd just sand them down and it would be no problem.
To quote the architect I called in, "There would be no tongue and groove left by the time they were flat!"
Psyber
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:09 am

- people who don't indicate
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:14 am

woodublieve12 wrote:- people who don't indicate

Especially at the Britannia roundabout
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:56 am

Brodlach wrote:

this is because people have no idea where they're going! :lol:

Footy Chick

Postby bennymacca » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:57 am

Footy Chick wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Been through there a bit recently and it is so much better than it used to be - finally civil engineers do something useful :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:06 am

bennymacca wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Been through there a bit recently and it is so much better than it used to be - finally civil engineers do something useful :)

You mean traffic engineers.....
heater31

Postby bennymacca » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:07 am

What do you think civil engineers do when the bridges are built? :)
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion