HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:29 pm

Legs Man wrote:
redsox wrote:Legs man

Has Echunga been given extra points is seasons past?

Have any Echunga junior teams played with permits for over age players?

1 point last year. ( but remember this year the HFL stated no extra points to anyone regardless of circumstance - then did! )
Not sure on juniors but reckon we may have had a lad with a disability who was a couple of months over.
As posted re this year - previously promoted clubs e.g. TV were awarded 15 points for 1st year up and Echunga weren't .
Anyone that can enlighten me on this as I don't know why this occurred with Echunga coming from the lower division - would be appreciated ( I actually don't know why - believe it or not ) :shock:
Will Lofty get 15 like TV as they should IMO

Its taken me a while but have found out the Echunga v Onkas game at Echunga this year, you had 3 permit players in just the junior colts, not sure of other junior sides tho.
In one of the games we played TV they had 9 permit players in their J/C's side.
Last edited by cracka on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Amateur Footy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:41 pm

cracka wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:
cracka wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:What was the retaliation of the last let's say 5 clubs to be relegated to Country? I remember Lofty ly putting up a fight and rumours of moving to SAAFL at one stage. Obviously Echunga have unique grounds at odds we probably will not see again considering the origin....

It doesn't happen very often but Birdwood put up a fight 4 years ago, Lofty put up a fight last year & Echunga have this year. Prior to those I can't remember the last time a club sought promotion & a club was forced into relegation.

Didn't Ironbank get relegated and while back, but can't remember off the top which year? Not certain if anyone was promoted.

From a vague memory, Ironbank came up in the mid 90's, were competitive for a bit but then struggled so went back to div 2, regrouped & came back in the 00's but not exactly sure of the year or who they replaced. Not sure what year or who Birdwood replaced when they came in, anyone know.

Ironbank were relegated in 98 based on poor facilities and not filing all junior sides. Came back up in 02 after 4 straight GFs in country. Nairne came into HFL Div 1 in place of Ironbank in 98 from RMFL.
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Amateur Footy wrote:
cracka wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:
cracka wrote:It doesn't happen very often but Birdwood put up a fight 4 years ago, Lofty put up a fight last year & Echunga have this year. Prior to those I can't remember the last time a club sought promotion & a club was forced into relegation.

Didn't Ironbank get relegated and while back, but can't remember off the top which year? Not certain if anyone was promoted.

From a vague memory, Ironbank came up in the mid 90's, were competitive for a bit but then struggled so went back to div 2, regrouped & came back in the 00's but not exactly sure of the year or who they replaced. Not sure what year or who Birdwood replaced when they came in, anyone know.

Ironbank were relegated in 98 based on poor facilities and not filing all junior sides. Came back up in 02 after 4 straight GFs in country. Nairne came into HFL Div 1 in place of Ironbank in 98 from RMFL.

That sounds better than my vague memory. Did you replace Nairne in 02. Do you know who Birdwood replaced when they came up & what year.
cracka
Veteran

Postby bookie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:28 pm

We did have permits, however all 3 had medical conditions. One lad had a heart problem and the other two hormonal disabilities which resulted in stunted growth. All above board.
bookie
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:36 pm

bookie wrote:We did have permits, however all 3 had medical conditions. One lad had a heart problem and the other two hormonal disabilities which resulted in stunted growth. All above board.

My son rides BMX with one of those kids & while he drove to the game (yes he drives) he is smaller than a lot of U13 kids so I hope he can get it again. Good lad.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:13 pm

No qualms from me with any legitimate junior permits.
More we can do to attract junior players the better.

Is there any chance we can actually get rid of relegation as it seems more drama than its worth?
If a club can fill all sides and wants to play Central then allow them to.
Clubs that aren't strong enough won't want to come up and can play in the second tier alleviating all the current problems.
Just make the draw 20 rounds total in Central based on previous season results as they do in the AFL. ( obviously not everyone will play each other twice when there are more than 10 sides )
Overflow sides from Central seniors, Milang etc. all play second tier.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:35 pm

Didn't Ironbank get relegated and while back, but can't remember off the top which year? Not certain if anyone was promoted.[/quote]
From a vague memory, Ironbank came up in the mid 90's, were competitive for a bit but then struggled so went back to div 2, regrouped & came back in the 00's but not exactly sure of the year or who they replaced. Not sure what year or who Birdwood replaced when they came in, anyone know.[/quote]

Ironbank were relegated in 98 based on poor facilities and not filing all junior sides. Came back up in 02 after 4 straight GFs in country. Nairne came into HFL Div 1 in place of Ironbank in 98 from RMFL.[/quote]
That sounds better than my vague memory. Did you replace Nairne in 02. Do you know who Birdwood replaced when they came up & what year.[/quote]

Hey cracka got me thinking so did a bit of research with some old final sirens.
Central 2005-6 only 9 teams, 2007 Birdwood came up to make 10
Country 2005 11 teams including Milang in A&B's they didn't win a game but had a better % than some of the later Callington teams and Blackwood's 2nd group
Country 2006 11 but Milang dropped out (Hear the Roar may be able to answer ) did they go to C's only? Kangarilla came back in from the SFL I think.
Country 2007 10 teams when Birdwood went up.
Country 2008-9 9 only when Blackwood dropped out.
Country 2010-12 10 when Sedan Cambrai came in
Central 2011 Birdwood out TV in
Country 2013-14 9 when Callington dropped out.
Central 2014 Mt Lofty out Echunga in
2015 who knows?? Regardless how it plays out because of lack of juniors coming thro in the smaller clubs and other reasons like trying to stay competitive could see in 5 to 10 years time one Div only with 12-14 clubs and possibly a couple in a C grade type comp. This from back in the 70's when there were 3 and even for 2 years 4 zones and 25 plus clubs not including the likes of Blackwood and Ironbank. Sad to see so many towns without their own individual clubs now days. In saying that we aren't the only League with this problem.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

HFL Central Division

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Amateur Footy wrote:

How long were Nairne in the RMFL?
They were still in Hills Div 2 when we left at end of 1990 and were a pretty strong club. When did they leave the Hills?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:20 pm

Didn't Ironbank get relegated and while back, but can't remember off the top which year? Not certain if anyone was promoted.[/quote]
From a vague memory, Ironbank came up in the mid 90's, were competitive for a bit but then struggled so went back to div 2, regrouped & came back in the 00's but not exactly sure of the year or who they replaced. Not sure what year or who Birdwood replaced when they came in, anyone know.[/quote]

Ironbank were relegated in 98 based on poor facilities and not filing all junior sides. Came back up in 02 after 4 straight GFs in country. Nairne came into HFL Div 1 in place of Ironbank in 98 from RMFL.[/quote]
That sounds better than my vague memory. Did you replace Nairne in 02. Do you know who Birdwood replaced when they came up & what year.[/quote]

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:Hey cracka got me thinking so did a bit of research with some old final sirens.
Country 2005 11 teams including Milang in A&B's they didn't win a game but had a better % than some of the later Callington teams and Blackwood's 2nd group
Country 2006 11 but Milang dropped out (Hear the Roar may be able to answer ) did they go to C's only? Kangarilla came back in from the SFL I think.
2015 who knows?? Regardless how it plays out because of lack of juniors coming thro in the smaller clubs and other reasons like trying to stay competitive could see in 5 to 10 years time one Div only with 12-14 clubs and possibly a couple in a C grade type comp. This from back in the 70's when there were 3 and even for 2 years 4 zones and 25 plus clubs not including the likes of Blackwood and Ironbank. Sad to see so many towns without their own individual clubs now days. In saying that we aren't the only League with this problem.

Bloody awesome stuff YOPK
cracka
Veteran

Postby R. White » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:00 pm

Seems like the numbers per division has been at over the shop. Looking back it seems a little silly that Mt. Lofty went back this year . It was clear Echunga were too good for Country and one could have argued that it Was clear Lofty would dominate as well. Even numbers in each division Is nice but not essential in my eyes. I am sure at players look forward to A good game come Saturday instead of not giving a rats ass from the Monday before the game because they are playing the likes of Lofty or Echunga (in Country )
I agree with the idea of if a club wants to play Central and can field Juniors then so be it. It will make for one hell of a comp and it will give the country teams a chance to even out. Lots of Country leagues have less than 8 teams
R. White
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:02 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Amateur Footy wrote:

How long were Nairne in the RMFL?
They were still in Hills Div 2 when we left at end of 1990 and were a pretty strong club. When did they leave the Hills?

In 91 Kersbrook & Nairne joined Div 1, Echunga finished 2nd bottom & Nairne were winless. The HFL wanted a 10 team comp in 92 so both were relegated but Nairne went to RMFL for a few years.

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:Hey cracka got me thinking so did a bit of research with some old final sirens.

YOPK you've inspired me so I did some research, the late 80's/early 90's went something like this
1987 Div 1: 11 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges, Nairne
1987 Div 2: Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Mt Barker (3rd), Gum, Pleasant Valley (Blackwood had 4 senior sides & Milang had a side playing in Mt Barkers B grade slot)

1988 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges (same as 87 minus Nairne)
1988 Div 2: 8 teams - Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Nairne, Gum, Pleasant Valley (Same as 87 plus Nairne minus Mt Barker (2nds)

1989 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges (no change)
1989 Div 2: 10 teams - Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Nairne, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield (Ironbank in from only C grade in 88 & Maccy in from ???)

1990 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges (no change)
1990 Div 2:10 teams - Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Nairne, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Maccy/Milang (Maccy/Milang combined for a season)

1991 Div 1: 12 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook & Nairne (same as 90 plus Kersbrook & Nairne)
1991 Div 2: 8 teams - Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Mt Lofty (3rd), Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield (Bar Dist to BLG, Maccy had A & B's, Milang had a side playing in Mt Loftys B grade slot)

1992 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook (Echunga to div 2 Nairne to RMFL)
1992 Div 2: 8 teams - Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield (Echunga in, no Lofty 3rd side & Milang played in C grade)

1993 Div 1: 8 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty (Eastern Ranges & Kersbrook to Div 2)
1993 Div 2: 9 teams - Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook (Eastern Ranges & Kersbrook in, Mt Torrens didn't field a side)

1994 Div 1: 8 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty no change
1994 Div 2: 9 teams - Birdwood, Mt Torrens, Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook (Blackwood played in C grade & Mt Torrens reformed)

1995 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Birdwood, Ironbank (Birdwood & Ironbank up from Div 2)
1995 Div 2: 8 teams - Mt Torrens, Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook, Callington (Birdwood & Ironbank up to Div 1 & Callington formed)

1996 Div 1: 9 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Ironbank (Birdwood to Div 2)
1996 Div 2: 9 teams - Birdwood, Mt Torrens, Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook, Callington (Birdwood back from Div 1)

Will do from 97 to 05 when I can. I don't remember any teams putting up a fight when being relegated through the above period though.
cracka
Veteran

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:11 pm

R. White wrote:Seems like the numbers per division has been at over the shop. Looking back it seems a little silly that Mt. Lofty went back this year . It was clear Echunga were too good for Country and one could have argued that it Was clear Lofty would dominate as well. Even numbers in each division Is nice but not essential in my eyes. I am sure at players look forward to A good game come Saturday instead of not giving a rats ass from the Monday before the game because they are playing the likes of Lofty or Echunga (in Country )
I agree with the idea of if a club wants to play Central and can field Juniors then so be it. It will make for one hell of a comp and it will give the country teams a chance to even out. Lots of Country leagues have less than 8 teams

Having a 12 team central comp was one suggestion that came out of the review but it was agreed not to implement any changes until 2016, after the by laws were to be rewritten (which was actually decided before this Echunga issue)
Having 2 divs for clubs who can fill all sides with automatic promotion/relegation & a 3rd div for clubs that cant fill all sides plus C grades was the other suggestion that had merit to some.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:41 pm

cracka wrote:
R. White wrote:Seems like the numbers per division has been at over the shop. Looking back it seems a little silly that Mt. Lofty went back this year . It was clear Echunga were too good for Country and one could have argued that it Was clear Lofty would dominate as well. Even numbers in each division Is nice but not essential in my eyes. I am sure at players look forward to A good game come Saturday instead of not giving a rats ass from the Monday before the game because they are playing the likes of Lofty or Echunga (in Country )

Having a 12 team central comp was one suggestion that came out of the review but it was agreed not to implement any changes until 2016, after the by laws were to be rewritten (which was actually decided before this Echunga issue)
Having 2 divs for clubs who can fill all sides with automatic promotion/relegation & a 3rd div for clubs that cant fill all sides plus C grades was the other suggestion that had merit to some.

8 & 8 would work and go a long way towards amending the big margin matches.
Are there 16 clubs who can field all juniors though?
Automatic relegation is fine as long as the flawed club points system is aborted totally so the big junior clubs have their safety net removed.
Reckon this needs to be actioned straight away though rather than leaving it until 2016.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:52 pm

YOPK you've inspired me so I did some research, the late 80's/early 90's went something like this
1987 Div 1: 11 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges, Nairne
1987 Div 2: Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Mt Barker (3rd), Gum, Pleasant Valley (Blackwood had 4 senior sides & Milang had a side playing in Mt Barkers B grade slot)

1988 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges (same as 87 minus Nairne)
1988 Div 2: 8 teams - Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Nairne, Gum, Pleasant Valley (Same as 87 plus Nairne minus Mt Barker (2nds)

1989 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges (no change)
1989 Div 2: 10 teams - Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Nairne, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield (Ironbank in from only C grade in 88 & Maccy in from ???)

1990 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges (no change)
1990 Div 2:10 teams - Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Nairne, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Maccy/Milang (Maccy/Milang combined for a season)

1991 Div 1: 12 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook & Nairne (same as 90 plus Kersbrook & Nairne)
1991 Div 2: 8 teams - Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Mt Lofty (3rd), Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield (Bar Dist to BLG, Maccy had A & B's, Milang had a side playing in Mt Loftys B grade slot)

1992 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook (Echunga to div 2 Nairne to RMFL)
1992 Div 2: 8 teams - Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield (Echunga in, no Lofty 3rd side & Milang played in C grade)

1993 Div 1: 8 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty (Eastern Ranges & Kersbrook to Div 2)
1993 Div 2: 9 teams - Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook (Eastern Ranges & Kersbrook in, Mt Torrens didn't field a side)

1994 Div 1: 8 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty no change
1994 Div 2: 9 teams - Birdwood, Mt Torrens, Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook (Blackwood played in C grade & Mt Torrens reformed)

1995 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Birdwood, Ironbank (Birdwood & Ironbank up from Div 2)
1995 Div 2: 8 teams - Mt Torrens, Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook, Callington (Birdwood & Ironbank up to Div 1 & Callington formed)

1996 Div 1: 9 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Ironbank (Birdwood to Div 2)
1996 Div 2: 9 teams - Birdwood, Mt Torrens, Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook, Callington (Birdwood back from Div 1)

Will do from 97 to 05 when I can. I don't remember any teams putting up a fight when being relegated through the above period though.[/quote]

That was brilliant Cracka

89 Maccy came back from the SFL been there for 4/5 years.
Mt Torrens weren't they combined with Cambrai during this time? Know they were in 76 and onwards.
2005 Central was Uraidla, Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Bridgewater, Ironbank, Blackwood, Mt Lofty, Lobethal
Country was Narine Bremer, Kersbrook, Echunga, Meadows, Callington, Milang, Blackwood, Gumeracha, Birdwood, Macclesfield, TV.

Fight on relegation, juniors weren't the problem as nearly every team bar perhaps the old Zone 4 fielded S/C and J/C teams (no M/C in 70s and 80s When did they come in?) during the 70s, 80s, and 90's. Only over the last 10 years approx that teams are struggling greatly with juniors. It was more on how strong your A grade was, smaller population based teams testing themselves against bigger clubs and early days teams based in North, Central and Southern area's to cut down the travel.

Will later look at pre mid 80s.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby Yellow & Black » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:21 am

just drove past Echunga oval, they must have the shortest goal posts in the league. Maybe that's why they didn't get a final. Ovals not up to scratch.
Yellow & Black

Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby The Panther » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:32 am

Has all this drama been caused by some peoples obsessive need to require all teams to play each other twice.

If other clubs wanted to come up to central div, couldn't country numbers be strengthened if Blackwood were approached to once again fill 4 senior sides.

Blackwood are already filling 3 senior sides and I believe a few miss out on a game each week. (third side playing amateur league )

They dropped out of C grade because they wanted a more competitive game for their third side.

I believe a major issue for Blackwood when previously in Country Division was their B grade began to struggle in country A grade when the big money hit that competition.
Well with the stronger sides going up to say a 12 team central division ( Echunga staying up and Lofty and Nairne going up ) Blackwood could top up the country div numbers and be more than competitive with the likes of maccy, kangy and gumeracha etc.
Their D grade has won country div reserve flags in the past and I assume they would bring some junior country div sides as well.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:10 pm

If the last 2 teams retalliated to being relegated then surely people can see the grounds for Echunga's response, keeping in mind Echunga hold a far greater argument for staying up. Whether we like to admit it or not all our clubs are measured on A Grade performance. Let's go back say 5 years and if a 10 year old kid had a 50/50 choice on where he and his mates wanted to play between Echunga and Hahndorf. He could play for a middle of the road div 2 side or he could go to Hahndorf who are a powerhouse and the side is full of blokes this kid saw on TV playing SANFL. Where do you think most kids will end up? Now this may change that Echunga have ultimate success but this can't be fixed overnight, the fruits of this are in 4-5 years time. So going on that argument how can you expect a club coming up from Country where the standards consistently are mediocre compared and then grade them as a whole when you throw them in the deep end? Hardly seems fair and even though "its the rules and they knew it" it doesn't make it right....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:just drove past Echunga oval, they must have the shortest goal posts in the league. Maybe that's why they didn't get a final. Ovals not up to scratch.

New posts installed this year SANFL standard - you must be looking from behind the elevated viewing mound.
Perhaps you were looking at oval number 2 which is the junior oval.
Obviously you didn't take the time to drive in and see the deck either which is immaculate.

And remember the final taken away at the discretion of the HFL last minute was gifted to Mt Barker which you can't possibly argue is a better facility.
This is not only my opinion but that of many others on the board regarding Mt Barker as you can see if you read previous posts.

Good try though if you were simply phishing for a response...
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Editorial from the Mt Barker Courier - Dec 22
An unbiased opinion taken directly from their editorial "Opinion" column.

An own goal
The saga that has plagued the Hills Football League (HFL) since the Central Division grand final has been an embarrassment for everyone.
Sadly the issue could not be resolved internally and the matter had to clog the already overburdened court system.
The only good thing about the final decision announced in the Supreme Court on Monday is that it gives some closure to the issue and allows everyone the opportunity to move on.
As soon as the farcical situation became clear that, under the HFL rules, the club which won the competition’s A-grade premiership would have to be demoted due to the poor performances of its B-grade and junior sides, the matter has staggered from the sublime to the ridiculous.
It might have been common knowledge to clubs that the relegation rule hinged on points given to minor round games only, but the wording of the by-law fails to make that clear which paved the way for Echunga’s ultimately successful legal challenge.
The real pity is that the matter had to chew up an estimated $50,000 in legal fees … money raised largely through hard working volunteers cooking barbecues and organising chook raffles.
The makeup of next year’s Central Division competition looks likely to be one of 11 teams including Echunga and the promoted Mt Lofty.
The real question is why the league’s administrators and the club delegates could not grasp the oft-mentioned shortcomings in the by-law and recognise that playing an 11-team competition for 12 months while the constitution was professionally rewritten and tightened was the best outcome.
Sending the Central Division premiers back to Country Division was not good for that competition, the image of the league or football in general.
It is galling, especially for club volunteers, that all this money was spent on lawyers only to arrive at a conclusion that was obvious to almost all fans of Hills football.
As soon as it was realised the constitution was flawed all parties needed to come together and make practical decisions to allow football, not lawyers, to be the winner.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Yellow & Black » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Just drove past Hahndorf oval, most of their U13's are taller than echungas goal posts
Yellow & Black

Grassroots Team: Broadview

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy