Do we need SANFL reserves???

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Do we need SANFL reserves???

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:59 pm

Just an idea to stop the drain to high paying country leagues
Is it time to lose this comp, increase the Salary cap to maybe $750K & each club have a list of say 25 players with a minimum match fee of $750. Maybe instead of reserves have an U21 comp (squad of maybe 30) where the players get $300 match fee & U18's (squad of maybe 30 also) get $100.

League - 21 players x $750 match fee x 18 rounds = 283500
U21's - 21 players x $300 match fee x 18 rounds = 113400
U18's - 21 players x $100 match fee x 18 rounds = 37800 (doesn't count towards salary cap)
Total = 434700. Balance of Salary cap ($353100) for sign on fees for the list of 25, minimum per player $7500

Finals games, players still get their match fee but it doesn't count towards salary cap.

When a club has no injuries then 4 of the 25 players max can play in the U21's but only get $300 match fee. U21's can play in league side if good enough & receive $750 match fee. U18's can play in both U21 & league sides & receive match fee for whichever side they play in but does count towards salary cap.
U21's not making U21 side & U18's not making U18 side to play for their grassroots team.
Am I dead set nuts or does this have any merit.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Re: Do we need SANFL reserves???

Postby stan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:05 pm

Are we losing it or keeping it? First you say we are losing it then changing the salary cap. I sort of lost you a bit. But I am a bit pissed at the moment so that could be an issue.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:23 pm

Sorry. I meant get rid of the reserves. Increase the salary cap for the league sides. Kickinit mentioned on the AFL thread in the Port 2015 topic about getting rid of the U18 comp so rather than put my bullsh*t on there I thought I'd ask the question here.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Tech1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:45 am

I think getting rid of the reserves is a smart idea. But i would just have it as something like this

League - 30 player squad
U18's - With the left over league players can play in (Maximum of five and then the rest assigned to an amature club)
U16's - Same as now

Would free up a bit of cash, reserves players get paid $50 or $100 a game currently? It would allow clubs to recruit another couple of big players or help retain a few more of the good ones. Quality of the comp improves etc. All teams can play at the same venue on the same day.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Ian » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:57 am

Tech1 wrote:U18's - With the left over league players can play in (Maximum of five and then the rest assigned to an amature club)

So you're saying the SANFL clubs should start treating a Amateur club each with the same disrespect and inflict the same disruption on them that the Cows and Pork did to the SANFL clubs up until 2013?

Leave the ressies alone, the only thing that needs fixing is get rid of the 2 reserves teams in the league comp and increase the salary cap to something that actually reflects the stature of the SANFL competition
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby stan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:01 am

cracka wrote:Sorry. I meant get rid of the reserves. Increase the salary cap for the league sides. Kickinit mentioned on the AFL thread in the Port 2015 topic about getting rid of the U18 comp so rather than put my bullsh*t on there I thought I'd ask the question here.

Righto, I had a bit of trouble reading that last night.
stan
Coach

Postby Reddeer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:15 pm

The SANFL comp is messed up enough already without stuffing it up with more changes
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:14 pm

I think we are heading down the path of the reserves being scraped and there being an under 18 or under 21 Comp with rule strictions of say 4-5 overage players allowed

I like the current reserves system but think it's probably hard for clubs to justify the costs.

I wouldn't like any system either that harms or disrupts the amateur league much like the AFL does to the SANFL
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:43 pm

Firstly any increase in the salary cap anything like suggested could eventually be the death nell to some clubs to me.
The more some clubs can spend the more they will.
No reserves grade would weaken the league comp IMHO,and could be a big help to the AFL reserves teams with their
big money professional preparation.
There is nothing wrong with the current competition,except the inclusion of the crows and power last year,
I have a feeling they will disappear soon went THEY want to.
The amateurs beat the pros in the GF,remember.
Norwood just have the best junior development program,other clubs just need to catch up on.
They lost over 50 league players in the last 3/4 years and still win the big one.
The comp is not broken so why fix it.
Yes we need a SANFL reserves comp.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:25 pm

Ian wrote:
Tech1 wrote:U18's - With the left over league players can play in (Maximum of five and then the rest assigned to an amature club)

So you're saying the SANFL clubs should start treating a Amateur club each with the same disrespect and inflict the same disruption on them that the Cows and Pork did to the SANFL clubs up until 2013?

Leave the ressies alone, the only thing that needs fixing is get rid of the 2 reserves teams in the league comp and increase the salary cap to something that actually reflects the stature of the SANFL competition

That already happens with players not selected in the reserves side but more so in the U18s with lots of players yo-yoing between their grassroots club, college and U18 team.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby CENTURION » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:59 pm

get rid of the afl & go back to the way things were!
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby stan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:19 pm

There is not much wrong with the current setup.

Lets not torch the village just yet.
stan
Coach

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12 am

Anyone got the stats for how many u/18s play in reserves sides each week for the last year or 2?
My impression is that clubs will push up talented u/18s into the reserves or even league teams if they are good enough. Certainly at Norwood I have seen quite a few given a game or a couple in the reserves.
In the future would not be surprised to see a "Academy" League or call what you like being a combination of reserves and u/18's.
Junior footy at league clubs is simply a process of identifying kids that could step up to be either drafted or play league footy.
If coaches think boys are good enough they will throw them in against older bigger bodies to quicken their development. Another example of this is country footy where senior colts play in A's or B's (don't know the ammos situation very well)
So you would have League, Academy and a perhaps half season of u16/17s.
Cracka I think doubling the salary cap won't happen as many clubs are struggling now with costs let alone another approx 350,000 on the books.
I don't think playing every one big dollars to stop some chasing money is necessarily the right answer as it will tip a couple of clubs into bankruptcy.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby SDK » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:21 pm

So if an older player like Matt Suckling, Jim Allan, Craig Evans or Juice Newton ( INSERT YOUR OWN CLUB'S OLDER PLAYERS ) is injured where does he play to get match fitness ?
Sorry a stupid ill thought out proposition IMHO. We are Clubs and we need to develop kids against older bodies which also exist in the reserves ( see above ).
SDK
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 51 times

Postby cracka » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:25 pm

SDK wrote:So if an older player like Matt Suckling, Jim Allan, Craig Evans or Juice Newton ( INSERT YOUR OWN CLUB'S OLDER PLAYERS ) is injured where does he play to get match fitness ?
Sorry a stupid ill thought out proposition IMHO. We are Clubs and we need to develop kids against older bodies which also exist in the reserves ( see above ).

So if an older player like Matt Suckling, Jim Allan, Craig Evans or Juice Newton ( INSERT YOUR OWN CLUB'S OLDER PLAYERS ) is injured where does he play to get match fitness ?In the U21 comp as mentoned
Sorry a stupid ill thought out proposition IMHO. We are Clubs and we need to develop kids against older bodies which also exist in the reserves ( see above ).Was actually more a question than a proposition as the title should infer. The "proposition", as you call it, I agree was a quickly thought out thing just to get other ideas IF people thought it was valid to get rid of the SANFL reserves. Obviously die hard SANFL fans don't think we should get rid of the SANFL reserves, which I respect. Its actually not a new thought to get rid of SANFL reserves, have actually heard this 4-5 years ago, even before the AFL reserves were included in the SANFL.

Sorry for starting a topic that people don't agree with. :oops:
cracka
Veteran

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:27 pm

CENTURION wrote:get rid of the afl & go back to the way things were!

Constructive. I'd love it as well but regardless of broke Victorian clubs wanting a way out , it was always going to happen.

That sounds like coffee shop talk.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:47 am

cracka wrote:
SDK wrote:So if an older player like Matt Suckling, Jim Allan, Craig Evans or Juice Newton ( INSERT YOUR OWN CLUB'S OLDER PLAYERS ) is injured where does he play to get match fitness ?

So if an older player like Matt Suckling, Jim Allan, Craig Evans or Juice Newton ( INSERT YOUR OWN CLUB'S OLDER PLAYERS ) is injured where does he play to get match fitness ?In the U21 comp as mentoned
Sorry a stupid ill thought out proposition IMHO. We are Clubs and we need to develop kids against older bodies which also exist in the reserves ( see above ).Was actually more a question than a proposition as the title should infer. The "proposition", as you call it, I agree was a quickly thought out thing just to get other ideas IF people thought it was valid to get rid of the SANFL reserves. Obviously die hard SANFL fans don't think we should get rid of the SANFL reserves, which I respect. Its actually not a new thought to get rid of SANFL reserves, have actually heard this 4-5 years ago, even before the AFL reserves were included in the SANFL.

Sorry for starting a topic that people don't agree with. :oops:

Don't be sorry it gives people a chance to hopefully in a civilised way express their views both positive and negative.
Yes this has be thought of for a while as clubs look to cut costs and will view all options.
Look at the AFL they cut their reserves but with big tv rights money among other things the wheel is turning again.

Centurion I wouldn't complain if it happened but alas I can't see it happening :(
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby SANFLnut » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:24 pm

Why restrict the competition to 21 and under plus a couple of senior players, when that is already the case for most clubs? If we lose the ability to push our U18 kids up to senior footy through reserves and then league, we will lose a key part of our comp. Smart clubs use the reserves comp wisely to supplement the performance of their league side. I wish my club would use it as effectively as Norwood, Eagles, Sturt have in recent years.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Panther Pack » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:44 am

This thread is an outrage of course we need reserves!!!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:00 pm

Anyone confirm that this year the 2's will be playing flat 28 minutes per quarter?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL