2015 Hogg Shield Information and Q&A Thread

Into tipping/fantasy/dreamteam/supercoach/ultimate footy competitions? Its all discussed here!

2015 Hogg Shield Information and Q&A Thread

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Gidday viewers. Time for a Hogg Update.

What is the Hogg Shield?

The Hogg Shield is a multi-divisional set of leagues that plays Supercoach fantasy AFL. The Hogg Shield is named after former and sometimes still playing Cricketer Bradley George Hogg. It was set up by a bunch of board IT types who should have been working. The first (AFL) Hogg was run in the 2007 season.

As each year passed more and more divisions were added and last season we had 122 coaches (plus two automatic Journo entries) take part.

Seeded pre-season invites

Already posted are threads for each Hogg League for 2015. The leagues are listed in seeded order based on that team's 2014 SuperCoach score. Please note that these pre-season league lists are provisional. In the event that any coach does not wish to enter the Hogg then the highest ranked team from the league below will be invited to fill that spot.

It is possible to be 'leapfrogged' by coaches who might have been in a lower league than you last season if they outscored you. If someone 'leapfrogs' you they are not taking your place in a higher league, they are taking the place of a team that has dropped out. A big candidate to leapfrog this year is Adelaide Crows who outscored everyone in the Hogg last year. It is not possible for a team to be automatically promoted into Premier League if they have not participated in Hogg Division I.

If you were relegated last year you won't be sent down a further division just because someone outscored you last year in a lower Division.

Keep your eyes open in the league threads and on your PM box or email accounts because the invites will be flying thick and fast once SuperCoach opens in February.

New and Returning Coaches

If you have been in the Hogg before your seeding will be based on your last recorded score for the season. Returning coaches will be placed in the highest available league and can be promoted up to Hogg Division I.

If you are a new Hogg coach please PM me with your 2014 SuperCoach score (if applicable). I don't need to know how many years you have played or what position you were ranked, just the final score. New coaches who have played before can be promoted as high as Hogg Division IV. If you are a SuperCoach rookie then you will be placed in Hogg Division VI (or V if we don't get enough coaches this season).

Captain my Captain!

The Hogg works better when there isn't a 'REB' team in every division. I lose too many Grand Finals and frankly, it's embarrassing! ;) I will need someone captains for the following divisions..

Hogg Division I
Hogg Division III
Hogg Division V

All you need to do is post weekly results, what everyone's score is for the season to date and what the league ranking is. If you want you can do some writeups and such if you are a mad keen SC tragic like myself.

I'm a lazy man, Roger! (Deadlines and Cutbacks)

In the past we have had a Hogg Deadline and I've sent out countless emails to try and get coaches to sign up to the Hogg in order to get the comp to grow. Right now I don't care how big the Hogg is and I'd be happy with a few less leagues to be honest. This season I've decided to scrap Champions League because about twelve teams are in Hogg Elite and Hogg Champions. The Hogg Elite league has pretty much replaced the Champions league.

As for the deadline, this will be about seven days before the final lockout. If you have not taken your invite by then it will be offered to the person with the highest ranking from the league below (see above). However, if any new coaches want to join there will always be room but get your shit together folks because I'm not chasing anyone this year.

OK Chaps and chapesses, now I'm off to try and figure out what to do with my backline! Good luck in the Hogg in 2015.

regards

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Re: 2015 Hogg Shield Information and Q&A Thread

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:08 pm

PM sent for a new coach, REB.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:10 pm

It looks like we are going to have a heap of new coaches joining the Hogg this year with up to half a dozen new coaches having indicated an interest in joining the comp next year. At the moment I'm having all sorts of Internet problems at Maison'd'REB but I'll be hopefully sorting this stuff out soon so I can be ready to go by January 30 which is when they are going to open SC this year, or so I have been told.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Sorry Dude » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:33 pm

I clearly remember you nominating me for Div III in a recent conversation we had REB.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:43 pm

Sorry Dude wrote:I clearly remember you nominating me for Div III in a recent conversation we had REB.

Yes mate and your offer is appreciated as well as accepted. :)

Got some computer issues at the moment but rest assured I'll be getting the handball off soon. If you want to write some sort of Divvy III preview you can do so already. You can check out last year's Div III thread for some week to week results, this year's Divvy III thread for who is going to be invited to the league this year and last year's ranking thread for the final scores of all Hogg teams.

What is posted as the current Div III will be probably change by the time the season kicks off though so the season previews are best written in mid February. Looking forward to next Friday. What I will send you as soon as I can are Divvy III contact details as well as the history of Divvy III. Cripes tried three times already without success. My phone line is carp!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Board index   Football  AFL  Fantasy/Tipping Footy