HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Country Division

Postby cracka » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:50 am

The Gimp wrote:
cracka wrote:By the sounds of it they are staying with the HFL & not moving to the Independant comp

Well lets hope it's in the C grade of the HFL becasue they're ruining div 2!

Cant disagree with that. I thought they had 3 years to get juniors up & about or they would be forced out.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Kick'n Back » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:39 pm

Pretty quite on here any lately any news on any recruits. I hear birdwood might be opening the cheque book this season with offers up to $400 for a ruckman who only played b grade last year
Kick'n Back
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times

Postby The Indian » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Kick'n Back wrote:Pretty quite on here any lately any news on any recruits. I hear birdwood might be opening the cheque book this season with offers up to $400 for a ruckman who only played b grade last year

Andy Ladhams will be suiting up for Birdwood this year I believe.
The Indian
Under 16s

Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Meadows

Postby Trooper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:46 pm

The Indian wrote:
Kick'n Back wrote:Pretty quite on here any lately any news on any recruits. I hear birdwood might be opening the cheque book this season with offers up to $400 for a ruckman who only played b grade last year

This guy wasn't much good when he played Central Division with Ironbank 10 years ago. Wouldn't want to be paying much for him now. Or maybe the standard of Country Division really is that bad?
Trooper

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Trooper wrote:
The Indian wrote:

This guy wasn't much good when he played Central Division with Ironbank 10 years ago. Wouldn't want to be paying much for him now. Or maybe the standard of Country Division really is that bad?

An apparent "Country Division" team won your premiership this year, I can't see it being that bad a standard.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cossi11 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Trooper wrote:
The Indian wrote:

Not sure where you heard the dollar values from but I don't think there would be many players anywhere near that figure.
I think the ruckman who played B grade last year played the majority of the year in the A grade and is only a young lad who is developing quickly into very decent A grade ruckman (which are not easy to find these days).
Andy will be suiting up for Birdwood next season and he will be a welcomed addition to the club as a senior and experienced head that will assist in development of the young list they have.
I hear Kersbrook have done ok on the recruitment front so far?
2020 AFL Premiers: Richmond 12.9.81 def Geelong 7.8.50
2019 AFL Premiers: Richmond 17.12.114 def Greater Western Sydney 3.7.25
2017 AFL Premiers: Adelaide 8.12.60 def by Richmond 16.12.108
2012 D5 Premiers: Brahma Lodge 24.15.159 def Hope Valley 7.13.55
cossi11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Trooper wrote:
The Indian wrote:

An apparent "Country Division" team won your premiership this year, I can't see it being that bad a standard.

The team that won may not be a Country Division team but the whole CLUB is. Big difference. Why are you so interested in this Echunga issue other than to cause trouble & maybe take any focus off SFL's issues.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:45 pm

cracka wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
Trooper wrote:
The Indian wrote:

The team that won may not be a Country Division team but the whole CLUB is. Big difference. Why are you so interested in this Echunga issue other than to cause trouble & maybe take any focus off SFL's issues.

I take interest in most football issues
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Kick'n Back » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:36 pm

cossi11 wrote:
Trooper wrote:
The Indian wrote:

Not sure where you heard the dollar values from but I don't think there would be many players anywhere near that figure.
I think the ruckman who played B grade last year played the majority of the year in the A grade and is only a young lad who is developing quickly into very decent A grade ruckman (which are not easy to find these days).
Andy will be suiting up for Birdwood next season and he will be a welcomed addition to the club as a senior and experienced head that will assist in development of the young list they have.

The $ figure was coming from someone very close to the player from what I hear the figure started at 300 but he declined then the offer has been raised to 400 but not of his response. He did not play half a season in a grade he played 1 full game and backed up for a couple of other games after playing b grade I think a lot of money for someone who would of played less than 10 a grade games
Kick'n Back
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times

Postby cossi11 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:09 am

Kick'n Back wrote:
cossi11 wrote:
The Indian wrote:

The $ figure was coming from someone very close to the player from what I hear the figure started at 300 but he declined then the offer has been raised to 400 but not of his response. He did not play half a season in a grade he played 1 full game and backed up for a couple of other games after playing b grade I think a lot of money for someone who would of played less than 10 a grade games

I think we must be talking about a different person here... I am not that involved to know what the figures would be but just didn't think it would be around that mark (especially for the person I was referring too)
2020 AFL Premiers: Richmond 12.9.81 def Geelong 7.8.50
2019 AFL Premiers: Richmond 17.12.114 def Greater Western Sydney 3.7.25
2017 AFL Premiers: Adelaide 8.12.60 def by Richmond 16.12.108
2012 D5 Premiers: Brahma Lodge 24.15.159 def Hope Valley 7.13.55
cossi11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby Bulldogsculthero25 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:31 pm

Looking for U/17 players, any skill level. If you or your son is looking for a new club or challenges message me for details.
Bulldogsculthero25
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:40 pm

I am wondering after the court's decision re Echunga, if the league goes to a 11 team Central Div how that will affect the Country Div and individually your club? What would be the pros and cons for the Div and your club?
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:17 pm

Should Lofty be worried?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby scratcher » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:19 am

A lot of negative talk on the HFL Central forum in relation to the HFL Country competition and how bad it would be to have to compete in it . The standard may not be as good as Central ( for a variety of reasons ) but the competition is no less competitive or important to the clubs and towns involved. Try telling the James's at Kersbrook, the Jaensch's at Nairne, the Dawes's at Meadows or the Schutz's at Birdwood that their clubs are second rate and their tradition and achievements in the past don't stand for as much as they would if they were in Central.
A get a little tired hearing how good everything is in Central. Kangarilla's, Nairne's, Maccesfield's and Kersbrook's facilities would match anything in the Central Division and the others are no worse than Mt Barkers, Torrens Valleys, Bridgewaters or Ironbanks. I'm confident that Fielke and James's coaching CV's stand up against 90% of the Central Division coaches and I can see no reason why players in the Country Division would not adapt very quickly to Central and be more than useful contributors to most teams.
No matter what happens with the HFL the Country Division will again have great games, a close contest for the whole year and heaps of interest in it. The Nairne v Meadows Anzac Day Game is a great day, the Kersbrook / Birdwood / Gumeracha rivalries goes back years and is always competitive and the fight for finals was intense last year coming down to the last round or two to decide the double chance and fifth spot.
I hope whilst all this talk is going on about Central and what needs to be done to be fair to all Central Division clubs doesn't result in the welfare of the Country Division Clubs and the importance of the Country Division competition being ignored and not respected.
scratcher
Mini-League

Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby overthehill » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:33 am

I think you will find that there are a few people with several accounts that speak nonstop nonsense on the central forum just to push there own clubs agenda whilst attempting to tarnish the HFL with the purpose of trying to create more noise than is really there. When you speak face 2 face with the majority of HFL football goers you will notice their opinions are very different to the majority of post in the central forum. I totally agree with your opening post Scratcher but would advise you pay no mind to most of the junk on the central forum.
My opinion only
overthehill
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby The Panther » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Country Division serves its purpose as a great competition for the smaller populated towns in the Hills.
I don't know why people are so keen to suggest killing off teams and making super mergers in the so called interest of the competition.
A lot of locals want to play for their local town, it is part of their local identity and history. So what if a clubs A grade has a few lean years , most do. It doesn't mean we should panic and complain they are bringing the competition down to an alarming level.

Look at Kangarilla premiers 2006 , struggling now but who knows maybe premiers again in 5 years.
Nairne 40 goal thrashings in central, rebuilt over time in country, now want to go back to central.
Ten or so years ago I saw Ironbank in country smash Birdwood by over 40 goals , then a few years back the chooks beat Blackwood at Blackwood in central.

I don't believe it goes in cycles, but clubs do have lean years. With time they can rebuild.

I say "NO" to the Birdgum Valley football club.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby The Panther » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:40 pm

One thing that does need addressing in country is the junior competition. Especially under 17's.
Most country clubs have had strong juniors at one stage or another.

How do we get majority of country clubs to be able to fill majority of their junior sides?

Do we go back to just senior and junior colts in country ?

It is the elephant in the room. One in which all clubs looking to avoid going to country division seem to hang their hat on in justification of their stance.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby 19thman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:06 pm

The Panther wrote:Country Division serves its purpose as a great competition for the smaller populated towns in the Hills.
I don't know why people are so keen to suggest killing off teams and making super mergers in the so called interest of the competition.
A lot of locals want to play for their local town, it is part of their local identity and history. So what if a clubs A grade has a few lean years , most do. It doesn't mean we should panic and complain they are bringing the competition down to an alarming level.

Look at Kangarilla premiers 2006 , struggling now but who knows maybe premiers again in 5 years.
Nairne 40 goal thrashings in central, rebuilt over time in country, now want to go back to central.
Ten or so years ago I saw Ironbank in country smash Birdwood by over 40 goals , then a few years back the chooks beat Blackwood at Blackwood in central.

I don't believe it goes in cycles, but clubs do have lean years. With time they can rebuild.

I say "NO" to the Birdgum Valley football club.

Think of the mascot though!
19thman

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby cracka » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:15 pm

scratcher wrote:A lot of negative talk on the HFL Central forum in relation to the HFL Country competition and how bad it would be to have to compete in it . The standard may not be as good as Central ( for a variety of reasons ) but the competition is no less competitive or important to the clubs and towns involved. Try telling the James's at Kersbrook, the Jaensch's at Nairne, the Dawes's at Meadows or the Schutz's at Birdwood that their clubs are second rate and their tradition and achievements in the past don't stand for as much as they would if they were in Central.
A get a little tired hearing how good everything is in Central. Kangarilla's, Nairne's, Maccesfield's and Kersbrook's facilities would match anything in the Central Division and the others are no worse than Mt Barkers, Torrens Valleys, Bridgewaters or Ironbanks. I'm confident that Fielke and James's coaching CV's stand up against 90% of the Central Division coaches and I can see no reason why players in the Country Division would not adapt very quickly to Central and be more than useful contributors to most teams.
No matter what happens with the HFL the Country Division will again have great games, a close contest for the whole year and heaps of interest in it. The Nairne v Meadows Anzac Day Game is a great day, the Kersbrook / Birdwood / Gumeracha rivalries goes back years and is always competitive and the fight for finals was intense last year coming down to the last round or two to decide the double chance and fifth spot.
I hope whilst all this talk is going on about Central and what needs to be done to be fair to all Central Division clubs doesn't result in the welfare of the Country Division Clubs and the importance of the Country Division competition being ignored and not respected.

The only reason clubs don't want to get relegated is because juniors wont always play at the same ground as the seniors, nothing to do with the standard of the A's & B's. I reckon on any given year the top 2 or 3 in Country would be competitive against, if not beat the bottom 2 or 3 in Central, which is proven most times a club comes up from country/div 2.
You'll get no argument from me (or legsman) as to the standard of some facilities in Central. Personally (apart from oval size) I don't think Ironbanks facilities are bad, it used to be bad, back when clubs both had to use the shed as changerooms.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Armytank » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:26 am

scratcher wrote:A lot of negative talk on the HFL Central forum in relation to the HFL Country competition and how bad it would be to have to compete in it . The standard may not be as good as Central ( for a variety of reasons ) but the competition is no less competitive or important to the clubs and towns involved. Try telling the James's at Kersbrook, the Jaensch's at Nairne, the Dawes's at Meadows or the Schutz's at Birdwood that their clubs are second rate and their tradition and achievements in the past don't stand for as much as they would if they were in Central.

Completely agree scratcher, it would do some of the Central clubs some good to get out and actually engage with the Country clubs and see the competition for what it really is, and not just take a casual interest in the results in the paper.

Many on here talk about "fixing" Country div but really have no idea what it is all about or the issues that confront the Country clubs.
I hate Full Back.....................
Armytank
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy