HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby cracka » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:31 pm

R. White wrote:
cracka wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
overthehill wrote:Every year someone gets on here and says Onkas will be a dark horse and they usually finish in the bottom 3. Onkas always seem to be able to match it with the top teams but hardly ever get the win. Then they will turn around and lose to the worse side in the comp. If they make the top 5 in 2015 i think that would definitely be a pass mark for MaGahey in his first season as a senior coach

I thought you didn't judge clubs by their A-Grade in the Hills. Onkas win plenty of games in the B-Grade and Juniors so that's all good.

We dont at Onkas. :D
It begs the question, define a succesful club. Is it the club who goes out & recruits for A grade success (give me $100k & I'll get A grade results) or is it a club like Hahndorf who have 12 or more junior teams or is it the club who get 150 people back to the club after an away game for meals & presentations & have a heap of non players stay for a couple of hours after.

I would suggest that any of these could be used as a measure of a success depending on who is judging. Obviously people from the inner sanctum of different clubs will have different goals as well. I would suggest a combination of all three is ideal, of which I believe a few clubs already have.
I know some of you may find it hard to believe but I think Echunga fall into this category, Junior numbers are growing (thanks to staying in central), very strong club atmosphere and a very good A grade team.

As for the 100k figure, I am not sure if this was a jab at Echunga but I would suggest none of the clubs would spend this much. the maths simply doesnt add up.
$100,000/ 20 games = $5000 per round
$5000 per round /21 players = $238 per player

I highly doubt every player in an A grade is payed but lets say just over half do so .......
$5000/ 11 players = $454

Doubt that any club would have enough players justifying this sort of payments.
I would think the average figure would more likely be $60,000 - $70,000 per year but as i have said before, only a very select few at each club knows what they spend.

No the $100k wasn't a dig at Echunga, its APPARENTLY what Mt Lofty were paying in their 3 in a row years & what Uraidla do currently. But like you say the maths don't add up. Does your guess of $60k - $70k include coaches & incentives or is that just player payments.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby R. White » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:23 pm

I didn't think about the coach's payment. I would think a 70k budget includes best player awards. I know some clubs choose to pay players less but have bigger incentives for best players. Again each club is different but normally 4th and 5th would just get a sponsors voucher or club money so I would think that a budget of $400 per round to split between the top 3 is probably around the mark. As I said I would think this would normally be included in the $70k but if it's not and you add the coaches payments, I can see the figure getting closer to 100k but I'm not sure how close as I have no idea how much coaches get paid.
R. White
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby magpiemaster » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:47 pm

cracka wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
overthehill wrote:Every year someone gets on here and says Onkas will be a dark horse and they usually finish in the bottom 3. Onkas always seem to be able to match it with the top teams but hardly ever get the win. Then they will turn around and lose to the worse side in the comp. If they make the top 5 in 2015 i think that would definitely be a pass mark for MaGahey in his first season as a senior coach

I thought you didn't judge clubs by their A-Grade in the Hills. Onkas win plenty of games in the B-Grade and Juniors so that's all good.

We dont at Onkas. :D
It begs the question, define a succesful club. Is it the club who goes out & recruits for A grade success (give me $100k & I'll get A grade results) or is it a club like Hahndorf who have 12 or more junior teams or is it the club who get 150 people back to the club after an away game for meals & presentations & have a heap of non players stay for a couple of hours after.

Hence why Onkas are a mediocre club and have been for generations, they pay plenty of cash (don't pretend they don't) and get no reward for it. They just continue to make excuse after excuse and the sides are full of thugs who can't play the game!
magpiemaster
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby running defender » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:12 pm

Tell us what you really think.. luccon from norwood to loby must be splashing the cash. Hahndorf picked up player from centrals, anybody know? Going to be a very interesting year with a couple of big names coming into the league.
running defender
Rookie

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby overthehill » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:55 am

Not sure i would have refereed to Onkas as thugs? mediocre possibly but that's probably rich coming from the reigning wooden spooners MM
overthehill
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby overthehill » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:41 am

Also MM is it true that Daniel Roberts is returning to SPOC? if so a big loss for the magpies as he is a quality player
overthehill
Rookie

Postby Yellow & Black » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Hardly call Luccon a big name. Looks a good size but I'd never heard of him. Reckon he's still training at Norwood but also juggling full time study etc so if things become a bit much, he might come up for a kick with some ex Norwood mates. Big Fisher and Papageorgiou look like good fellas who'll help fill the void left by Johnno, Cam Stewart, big Ed and maybe a couple others who we've lost for the winter. I'd say the Tiges will be on par (at best) with 2014.

Apart from Grocke, what other "big names" have you heard are coming into the HFL running defender?
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Legs Man » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:Hardly call Luccon a big name. Looks a good size but I'd never heard of him. Reckon he's still training at Norwood but also juggling full time study etc so if things become a bit much, he might come up for a kick with some ex Norwood mates. Big Fisher and Papageorgiou look like good fellas who'll help fill the void left by Johnno, Cam Stewart, big Ed and maybe a couple others who we've lost for the winter. I'd say the Tiges will be on par (at best) with 2014.

Apart from Grocke, what other "big names" have you heard are coming into the HFL running defender?

Heard that Grocke misses first half of the season for various reasons - that right Cracka?
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby cracka » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:03 pm

Legs Man wrote:
Yellow & Black wrote:Hardly call Luccon a big name. Looks a good size but I'd never heard of him. Reckon he's still training at Norwood but also juggling full time study etc so if things become a bit much, he might come up for a kick with some ex Norwood mates. Big Fisher and Papageorgiou look like good fellas who'll help fill the void left by Johnno, Cam Stewart, big Ed and maybe a couple others who we've lost for the winter. I'd say the Tiges will be on par (at best) with 2014.

Heard that Grocke misses first half of the season for various reasons - that right Cracka?

Yeah I think that is right.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:55 pm

cracka wrote:
Legs Man wrote:

Yeah I think that is right.

Will still have a big impact though I would think.
Cranna and him will have a great contest and one worth paying the admission price for.
I think the Central sides underestimated him last year but now know his capacity.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby chopper7 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:00 pm

running defender wrote:Tell us what you really think.. luccon from norwood to loby must be splashing the cash. Hahndorf picked up player from centrals, anybody know? Going to be a very interesting year with a couple of big names coming into the league.

Turn it up RD. You are a dead set spook, just because a club gets a recruit doesn't mean they are 'splashin cash' for all you know Luccon might have family/friends in Lobethal, Grocke might have a North Adelaide connection at Onkas with Magoo and Collins that he wants to rekindle for example. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
You concentrate on trying to get a kick this year instead of trying to be a hero and running around giving them away!

Can't believe footy is only 3 months away from starting again, can't wait!!! Any news on clubs like Mt Barker, TV and Bridgewater on the recruiting front! This forum is always about Echunga so would be good to hear from a few other clubs!
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby running defender » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 pm

Good to see me old mate chop chop is back, if you were at the grand final last year i got plenty of kicks and took a couple of beauty's in the 2nd half and kicked a lovely goal from around 45. Grocke coming up for a free snitzle and coke i suppose? T.V. picked up the other Ellis + a couple of North Adelaide seconds players but lost the jordans. Cam Hitchcock to I/B. The Southern Demons had 42 out at training tonight with 8 new recruits and lost no one albeit a top 5 club and bottom 5 club trying to lure 2 of our stars away for big money and you aunty chop chop reckon we pay plenty i think you live in a glass house cause i reckon your club pays out plenty.. thats got you thinking hey chop chop you had a look at the draw i think we play you in Rd 3
running defender
Rookie

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby overthehill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:02 am

RD - I heard TV had moved on the last of the Ellis boys and replaced with Johnny Boris from North Adelaide. Perhaps they will have all 3? Also do you know where the Jordan's have gone? i didn't see a lot that impressed me during the season but i really sat up and took notice of Nick Jordan during the inter-league game and think that will be a bug loss for TV if correct.
Good to here you had so many at training, they do say success breeds success. Did i see Jesse Edwards at Echunga training last night?
overthehill
Rookie

Postby The Sorce » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:27 am

I notice that the HFL website has been updated again on the 10th of Jan, but cannot see what they have updated? No update on the Clearance pages, No update on the 2015 Fixture and no notice about special meetings being held to discuss this years fixture........ Has there been any notice to clubs of when a decision/meeting will be made/held?
Country Division
The Sorce
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Alaska » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:09 pm

Yes a SGM has been sent out for the 19th I think two options for 2015 to vote on.
11 team and 18 games 2 byes and bottom relegated and if a Country team nominates 2 bottom teams relegated or a 10 team Central with Bridgy to go down.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby Legs Man » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Alaska wrote:Yes a SGM has been sent out for the 19th I think two options for 2015 to vote on.
11 team and 18 games 2 byes and bottom relegated and if a Country team nominates 2 bottom teams relegated or a 10 team Central with Bridgy to go down.

As much as I believe any club that can field all sides should be allowed to play Central....

If the clubs now change their mind and vote for more than a 10 team comp they immediately show that there was a definite bias against Echunga.

They already had the opportunity to make that change and were steadfast in their decision.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby The Panther » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Legs Man wrote:
Alaska wrote:Yes a SGM has been sent out for the 19th I think two options for 2015 to vote on.

As much as I believe any club that can field all sides should be allowed to play Central....

If the clubs now change their mind and vote for more than a 10 team comp they immediately show that there was a definite bias against Echunga.

They already had the opportunity to make that change and were steadfast in their decision.

As much as I agree with your statement that it would be a bit rich for the other clubs to now vote for and expanded competition after saying No to Echunga. I think it is time for the right thing to be done and for clubs to vote for the healthiest make up of the HFL.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Peakedinhighschool » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:41 pm

Legs Man wrote:

Have to disagree Legsman, would simply show that the majority of clubs believe Echunga should of gone down due to the way they all interpreted the rule and that Bridgewater do not deserve to go down
Peakedinhighschool
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby cracka » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:43 pm

The Panther wrote:
Legs Man wrote:

As much as I agree with your statement that it would be a bit rich for the other clubs to now vote for and expanded competition after saying No to Echunga. I think it is time for the right thing to be done and for clubs to vote for the healthiest make up of the HFL.

Problem is no one can agree on what is best for the league as a whole. Even people from outside the HFL (so no self interest for a certain club) dont agree on whats best for the HFL.
cracka
Veteran

Postby overthehill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:44 pm

I agree with your point Legs.
I didn't agree with the court’s ruling (meaning I didn't agree with Echunga’s interpretation of the constitution) because I don't think the rules should be bent for any club that includes Echunga or Bridgewater.
The HFL clubs decided the rules together and it is the HFL boards duty to enforce them. Had the board decided not to go to court and let Echunga do whatever they want it would have been wrong and they would not have been doing their job.
The court decided Echunga will stay up and so be it. The rules should continue to be enforced which means Bridgewater must go down and attempt the emulate the achievements of Mt Lofty in 2014.
In the last 4 months we have heard the words “common sense” chucked around quite a lot and the whole reason we have rules is because it seems most people have a VERY different opinion of what common sense is.
At the end of the day Echunga did nothing wrong except maybe annoying a few people and cost some people a few dollars but they did what they believed best for their club.
Sorry Bridgewater but I sincerely hope to see you in Div 1 in 2016
overthehill
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy