Peter Motley Oval

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Peter Motley Oval

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:15 am

Sturt FC and sponsors Australialin Gas Networks rename Unley Oval to Peter Motley Oval, for 2015 at least.

STURT great Peter Motley made Unley Oval his own as he soared over packs and thrilled fans. Now the ground bares his name.

Unley has been renamed Peter Motley Oval for at least the 2015 SANFL season in a three-way agreement which has left the former champion “humbled” and “speechless”.

Sturt sponsor Australian Gas Networks drove the renaming because it wanted the ground to have a “community” feel and also felt its company title was too long to give to the oval. Sturt and Unley Council agreed and the proposal was put to Motley, who was so moved he sought the opinion of his father — former Port Adelaide champion Geof — before accepting.

“It’s an incredibly humbling feeling,” said Motley, 50.

“I didn’t play football to have this. It’s unbelievable.”

Motley played 92 games for Sturt after debuting as a 17-year-old in 1982. He won Sturt’s best and fairest in 1984 and again 1985, when he was named in the All-Australian team. Such was his impact in his short time at Sturt he was named in its team of the 20th century.

Carlton recruited him in 1986 and he played 19 VFL games before a serious car crash in 1987 ended his career at just 22. He made a remarkable recovery and is now Sturt’s No. 1 ticket-holder. He and Helen have a four-year-old daughter Stella and Motley hardly misses a Sturt home game.

The family banter has already begun with Motley quick to point out nine-time Magpies premiership player Geof only has a gate named after him at Alberton — he conveniently overlooks the race at Adelaide Oval. “I’ve got a whole oval named after me,’’ Motley jokes.

Acting AGN chief executive Des Petherick said Motley was a “shining example to the community of how you can rise above adversity”.

Sturt chief executive Sue Dewing expected the oval would remain named after Motley for as long as AGN was the club’s oval naming rights sponsor and hoped the partnership would be long-term.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 7182373342

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nobody could begrudge this champion bloke on and off the field any recognition that he gets.

Well done Blue Baggers. Well done.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Re: Peter Motley Oval

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 am

well done to the major sponsor for pushing it ahead of its own name
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:17 am

Well played, Sturt.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Spargo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:20 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:well done to the major sponsor for pushing it ahead of its own name

Exactly - maybe (hopefully) other clubs and their sponsors will follow suit.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Big Phil » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:12 am

Change Playford Alive Oval to The Grant Coffee Arena?

Seriously, though, great recognition on a champion footballer and person...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Well done to Sturt, but not sure why they could not just make it permanent?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby SimonH » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:Well done to Sturt, but not sure why they could not just make it permanent?
Because they want to leave open the possibility of flogging the naming rights to the highest bidder in the future if/when the Gas company sponsorship finishes. Unfortunate, but true.

That said, they're just being (unnecessarily) honest. No stadium sponsor name change is ever marketed as temporary: the press release doesn't often say, 'Glenelg Oval will from this day forward be known as Challenge Recruitment Oval, but only for as long as they keep shelling out, and then it'll change to some other sponsor's name'.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:Well done to Sturt, but not sure why they could not just make it permanent?

You are forgetting that they have to deal with the City of Unley. Imagine the uproar a certain councillor would spill out on his blog and community media if they proposed to make this permanent :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Rising Power » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Fantastic. Used to play mixed netball against Mots, what a buzz that was mixing with football royalty.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:25 pm

Rising Power wrote:Fantastic. Used to play mixed netball against Mots, what a buzz that was mixing with football royalty.

Encountered him on the short course at The Pat one day, mid week, with a mate. We asked him if we could play with him as he told us to play through. He let us, it was an absolute pleasure. A memory I'll not let go easily.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Gravel » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Well done Sturt and Australian Gas Networks . Also great that Peter Motley Oval will have a permanent fence next season and hopefully we will no longer see local residents with dogs on the oval as the players are walking off. I understand the picket sale to fund the fence has been that successful that it will not only cover the cost of the fence but return a surplus.
Gravel
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:09 am

Yeah, great stuff by Sturt and Australian Gas Networks
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:01 pm

Big Phil wrote:Change Playford Alive Oval to The Grant Coffee Arena?

Seriously, though, great recognition on a champion footballer and person...

The Grant Coffee Ground?

Seriously, that's a great move by the Blues, well done to them and their major sponsors. I can't believe Mots is 50! Geez, time flies. I still remember coming home from school, watching and hearing that he was in an accident. I can still see his car, etched in my brain.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby LPH » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:17 am

My Family goes a long way back with Mots.
Dad spent a lot of time in Julia Farr with Pete, upon his return from Melbourne.

I may be a little biased but I firmly believe he would've been the best of the Quartet (Rat, Sticks, Braddles & Mots) that went to Melbourne in 1986, & the other 3 were out & out Champions.

Life deals cards to people - some win & some loose.
Peter Motley refused to give up, despite being so badly injured - I say, he 'broke even' due to his internal drive & strength.
He is a star - in the true sense of the word.
It can not be understated the support he has always been given by his family, too.

A very fitting tribute to a 'True Blue' - Well Done Sturt Football Club.

If it is possible to have 'Football Royalty' - then the Motley name is just that (in SA, at least) :D
I for one, will be attending the 1st Game there this season - it would be fitting to see 10K or so, turn up to the 1st game @ 'Motley Oval'
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby heater31 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:33 am

LPH wrote:I for one, will be attending the 1st Game there this season - it would be fitting to see 10K or so, turn up to the 1st game @ 'Motley Oval'

Isn't Unley Oval capacity capped at about 6000? Still should have a bumper crowd either way just for the occasion.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Board index   Football  SANFL