Glenelg Senior Coach 2014/15

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Glenelg Senior Coach 2014/15

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:49 am

Lokan has definitely been appointed as the Senior Coach for 2015 (therefore not as interim).

The club will immediately look to recruit a Senior Assistant Coach in lieu of the now vacant Head of Football Development.

Reserves Coach Brett Backwell's role has not changed or been affected in any way by the events and announcements today.

The contingency plan enacted today has been planned for some time, but the club had to ensure that it carefully assessed the verdict, liaised with key stakeholders, including staff, players and support personnel and formalising the final decision via a Board Meeting. To suggest that they do otherwise IMHO would have been unprofessional and not in the best interests of all concerned.

I'm sure many will disagree, but I believe that the club has handled itself well during this fiasco, and today made a prompt and prudent decision despite some unwarranted hysteria by some media. The time taken to announce a decision on the fate of the Senior Coach took approx 6 hours from when hearing completed at 1:30pm (EST). Whilst the verdict was released late morning, there were further court proceedings that were conveniently not reported by the media.

The CEO had to return to Adelaide after the hearing in Melbourne, advise his Board and key stakeholders, and formalise the decision with the Board before a media release.

The President, Board and CEO have my full support, as does Matt Lokan as Senior Coach, who I'm sure will make a good account of himself in his new role.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby holden78 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:53 am

Wonder if Ronny Fuller was even a consideration because aside from a couple of manageable traits that could be addressed, he certainly could grab hold of the players and build a super competitive team while sticking to the basics while they develop.
Lokan..... really...... another mini league coach Didja? ;)
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby UK Fan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:08 am

Happy Endings wrote:
UK Fan wrote:how does chiggy still have a job ffs

IThe man is Useless.

What's Chiggy done wrong? I can't see how this is his fault.

On or off the field ?????
How many spoons under chiggy ????
Sold out his club and league
Ignored a domestic violence charge and like Nick Stevens simply hoped bashing a female would go away
Willingly Drove life long members away from the club.
"I hate to go against the will of my members" when voting yes to impress Chappy and further his own career. should of been sacked I.i
Immediately
The above quote Should be etched on the p%+£s gravestone.

You seem to know Nick well. Can I guess he is a passionate Crows/afl fan ??? I wonder why chiggy was 1 of 3 SANFL presidents mentioned as the top 20 most powerful/biggest sell outs in sa football along with tripodi and slaven.

He may have you fooled but for the rest of us it's obvious.

Positive for me is for the last 20 years I've had numerous arguments with bays fans telling them chiggy is an overrated dud. Bays fans don't seem to argue with me anymore.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:24 am

Obviously the bays had a back up plan and would be silly not to. It always looked bad no matter what spin people put on it.When you read accusations like this and owing money is involved , it's usually for the same reasons.

Not sure what else Glenelg could do except maybe stood him down pending a decision but that would have to have been thought through carefully and agreed by Stevens. However some at Glenelg maybe feeling a bit uncomfortable right now.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:40 am

Clearly they had to wait until the verdict was handed down. Innocent until proven guilty. Would have been a bigger debacle if they arsed him last season when they discovered the allegations then to have a not guilty.

Board meeting last night would have been to enact their contingency plans - formally terminate the contract, appoint the replacement then go about informing the relevant people.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:57 am

UK Fan wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:

IThe man is Useless.

Ignored a domestic violence charge and like Nick Stevens simply hoped bashing a female would go away
"I hate to go against the will of my members" when voting yes to impress Chappy and further his own career. should of been sacked I.i
Immediately

You seem to know Nick well. Can I guess he is a passionate Crows/afl fan ??? I wonder why chiggy was 1 of 3 SANFL presidents mentioned as the top 20 most powerful/biggest sell outs in sa football along with tripodi and slaven.

Positive for me is for the last 20 years I've had numerous arguments with bays fans telling them chiggy is an overrated dud. Bays fans don't seem to argue with me anymore.

I'm not going to waste my time responding to your diatribe other than, you Sir are an imbecile.

Without Nick Chigwidden, the Glenelg Football Club would have folded over a year ago.

With such an axe to grind, perhaps start up a 'Why I Hate Glenelg or Chiggy' thread and go your hardest. That will at least stop you clogging up other threads.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:06 am

UK Fan wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:

IThe man is Useless.

Immediately

Life's to short.

Never seen anyone worry about someone else's nest more than their own.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:08 am

Booney wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:

IThe man is Useless.

Immediately

Life's to short.

Never seen anyone worry about someone else's nest more than their own.

*** except on SAFooty forums where it seems common place
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:11 am

Yes and no. UK rarely posts about Centrals, hardly ever posts anything positive and usually just runs in, throws a hand grenade and runs for cover.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby UK Fan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:47 am

dedja wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:

IThe man is Useless.

Immediately

I'm not going to waste my time responding to your diatribe other than, you Sir are an imbecile.

Without Nick Chigwidden, the Glenelg Football Club would have folded over a year ago.

With such an axe to grind, perhaps start up a 'Why I Hate Glenelg or Chiggy' thread and go your hardest. That will at least stop you clogging up other threads.

Which parts are wrong dedja please enlighten me.

So bays were going to die last year ????? Please explain what actions taken by chiggy saved the club

I genuinely would like to know as stated most bays fans I've spoken to aren't a fan
Last edited by UK Fan on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:54 am

Booney wrote:Yes and no. UK rarely posts about Centrals, hardly ever posts anything positive and usually just runs in, throws a hand grenade and runs for cover.

I was Asked a question and I answered it u know you don't have to stick your massive honker into everything mr positive
Last edited by UK Fan on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby Reddeer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:32 pm

to put a more positive attitude in place the Glenelg Football Club isn't going to fold the SANFL has already self destructed
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Panther Pack » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Just out of curiosity was Graham "Studley" Cornes ever in the running to take over from Stevens?
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Nope, neither was Graham Campbell
dedja
Coach

Postby Panther Pack » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Was Tony McGuiness considered for a return? Always felt he had more to give.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:07 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Was Tony McGuiness considered for a return? Always felt he had more to give.

Is he still in hiding?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Squawk » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:11 pm

heater31 wrote:Clearly they had to wait until the verdict was handed down. Innocent until proven guilty. Would have been a bigger debacle if they arsed him last season when they discovered the allegations then to have a not guilty.

Actually, under employment law it is possible to sack someone on the balance of probabilities, and therefore the club could have dismissed him once the 30 charges were laid on the basis that evidence existed to lay charges and that this brought the employer's reputation in to disrepute.

The thing that surprised me the most was that if they weren't going to sack him when he was charged, the club should have suspended him as soon as he was charged.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:12 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Was Tony McGuiness considered for a return? Always felt he had more to give.

Unfortunately a severe dose of sore corns ruled him out.
dedja
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:15 pm

How long has Chigwidden been in his current role at Glenelg ?
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Squawk wrote:
heater31 wrote:Clearly they had to wait until the verdict was handed down. Innocent until proven guilty. Would have been a bigger debacle if they arsed him last season when they discovered the allegations then to have a not guilty.

Actually, under employment law it is possible to sack someone on the balance of probabilities, and therefore the club could have dismissed him once the 30 charges were laid on the basis that evidence existed to lay charges and that this brought the employer's reputation in to disrepute.

The thing that surprised me the most was that if they weren't going to sack him when he was charged, the club should have suspended him as soon as he was charged.

All conjecture unless we can all review his employment contract. I think you are trying to reference unfair dismissal laws, which are murky and difficult to interpret and adjudicate at the best of times, and would also potentially involve significant legal expenses.

I'm very comfortable with the way the issue was handled.
dedja
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL