Australian Summer of Tennis

Re: Australian Summer of Tennis

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:05 am

mighty hounds wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Who was Australia's last modest male tennis player?? I'll tell ya. Pat Rafter. I don't understand what goes through most of the current male tennis player's head to become so aggresive, arrogant, selfish, non-Australian and whinging in manner. C'mon its not as if these blokes (Kyrgious, Tomic, Kokkinakis and special mentions to Hewitt) are in the current top 20. And if they keep going on like they are, they'll never get there and never get the respect from everyone.

Are you joking? Do you not remember what Roger Federer was like?

Kyrgios is now ranked in the 30's and if he has a good French Open will be in the top 20 by, if not after Wimbledon.

You cannot put Kyrgious and Federer in the same sentence. Federer was a champion at a young age and also very modest and never acted the way Kyrgious does.

I sincerely hope that the guys grow up and settle down because they won't last long on the circuit.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:46 am

these guys have similar records as Juniors to what Federer did. In fact in Tomics case he won a Junior title that eluded Federer.

Tomic has clearly settled down after his burst into the Senior tour, whilst Hewitt, never settled down with his Come On

I guess you wouldn't have appreciated watching JImmy Connors or McEnroe in their day
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Australian Summer of Tennis

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:56 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Who was Australia's last modest male tennis player?? I'll tell ya. Pat Rafter. I don't understand what goes through most of the current male tennis player's head to become so aggresive, arrogant, selfish, non-Australian and whinging in manner. C'mon its not as if these blokes (Kyrgious, Tomic, Kokkinakis and special mentions to Hewitt) are in the current top 20. And if they keep going on like they are, they'll never get there and never get the respect from everyone.

Kyrgios is now ranked in the 30's and if he has a good French Open will be in the top 20 by, if not after Wimbledon.

You cannot put Kyrgious and Federer in the same sentence. Federer was a champion at a young age and also very modest and never acted the way Kyrgious does.

I sincerely hope that the guys grow up and settle down because they won't last long on the circuit.

With all due respect I'm not sure you follow tennis that closely.

Kyrgios is the first person to make two quarter finals of grand slams as a teenager since.... Federer.

Is is also one of just 4 teenagers in the top 150 and the only one in the top 90.

When Tomic was a teenager he was also the only one in the top 200 at one point.

Tennis players don't usually mature until their early-mid 20s, both in game and attitude.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:07 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:these guys have similar records as Juniors to what Federer did. In fact in Tomics case he won a Junior title that eluded Federer.

Tomic has clearly settled down after his burst into the Senior tour, whilst Hewitt, never settled down with his Come On

I guess you wouldn't have appreciated watching JImmy Connors or McEnroe in their day

Yeah but im talking about our current list of Aussie tennis players.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:40 am

I think in some sense they have had the spotlight thrust on them a little too early because in the past 5-6 years there has been nobody come through, so we are left with Hewitt+kids
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:48 am

What ever happened to Matosevic (I think thats his name)?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:19 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:What ever happened to Matosevic (I think thats his name)?

Andy Murray wiped him off the court in the first or 2nd round
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:24 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:What ever happened to Matosevic (I think thats his name)?

Andy Murray wiped him off the court in the first or 2nd round

was still ranked 77th coming into the aussie open.

just doesn't get much press because this was the first time he has progressed past the first round in australia, all of his good results have come overseas. never going to be a top 10 player, so i think the attention has turned to the young guns
bennymacca
Coach

Postby David Brent » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:41 am

I think having 5 or 6 players in the top 100 currently is a great effort for Australia. Not many other countries have this bar the dominant clay court countires like the French, Argentine's & Spanish.

The two K's & Tomic will all be consistent top 50 players for years to come I feel with Kyrios being the only one I can see being consistantly around the mark of the top 10 & pushing for Grand Slam success at this stage.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:57 am

David Brent wrote:I think having 5 or 6 players in the top 100 currently is a great effort for Australia. Not many other countries have this bar the dominant clay court countires like the French, Argentine's & Spanish.

The two K's & Tomic will all be consistent top 50 players for years to come I feel with Kyrios being the only one I can see being consistantly around the mark of the top 10 & pushing for Grand Slam success at this stage.

yeah i agree, compared with tomic he has a lot more weapons. tomic is clever on court but the best players can deal with that a lot easier than a booming serve and forehand.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:51 am

Gee whizz
Andy Murray last night was embarrassing
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:16 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

Obviously didn't watch much tennis when Federer was younger?

Kyrgios still has 3 years to win a grand slam to match federers feat. You make it sound like Federer already won one and was unstoppable at Kyrgios' age.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:35 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Gee whizz

WADH ... I think he realises that only Poms like him (and that's because there are no other Poms out there) so he can crank up the DH factor without fear of alienating more haters.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:00 am

dedja wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Gee whizz

WADH ... I think he realises that only Poms like him (and that's because there are no other Poms out there) so he can crank up the DH factor without fear of alienating more haters.

I almost dislike Murray as much as I can't stand bloody Virat Kohli. I hope stan or the Joker whip the smug ass of the court in the final
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times

Postby carey » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:58 pm

Hewitt saying what Novac should be doing hmmmm Llayton his still playing in the semis and your not DH so shut up.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2803 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:26 am

carey wrote:Hewitt saying what Novac should be doing hmmmm Llayton his still playing in the semis and your not DH so shut up.

um I'm pretty sure he knows what he is talking about. its not like he is a grand slam winner, former world number 1 and would still be in the top 50 players on tour if he played more.

i think that qualifies him to be able to comment on them.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby carey » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:53 pm

bennymacca wrote:
carey wrote:Hewitt saying what Novac should be doing hmmmm Llayton his still playing in the semis and your not DH so shut up.

um I'm pretty sure he knows what he is talking about. its not like he is a grand slam winner, former world number 1 and would still be in the top 50 players on tour if he played more.

i think that qualifies him to be able to comment on them.

Yeah I guess Novac has done none of that hey. :roll:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2803 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:58 pm

When did I say he hasn't.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:22 am

Surprised to see not one post about the women's final. Is this due to......
A) Noone gives a f@ck
B) The match was won by a bloke
C) nobody on this site was able to watch the final due to incessant screaming and squealing during the game
D) The way Serena carries on makes you want to smash things
E) All of the above
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:32 am

F) The greatest sport in the World was on at the same time
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler