SANFL Club Finances

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Club Finances

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:04 am

It's very good news. This comp needs a strong Sturt.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby robranisgod » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Dutchy wrote:“Our improved financial position is due to the hardworking Board, employees and volunteers, committed supporters, and generous sponsors and benefactors.

I was told by a Sturt Official that the turn around in Sturt's fortunes is due to a massive financial injection given to the club by a young multi millionaire who played for Sturt seconds about 20 years ago. Sturt were similarly saved in 1995 when they faced extinction and another past player bailed them out. My team was also bailed out in the early 2000s by a philanthropist supporter and financially we haven't looked back since.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby knowledge » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:34 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Dutchy wrote:“Our improved financial position is due to the hardworking Board, employees and volunteers, committed supporters, and generous sponsors and benefactors.

I was told by a Sturt Official that the turn around in Sturt's fortunes is due to a massive financial injection given to the club by a young multi millionaire who played for Sturt seconds about 20 years ago. Sturt were similarly saved in 1995 when they faced extinction and another past player bailed them out. My team was also bailed out in the early 2000s by a philanthropist supporter and financially we haven't looked back since.

Ummm. No! Categorically, and, irrefutably, incorrect. The result is entirely due to putting one's nose to the grindstone, cutting costs, a lot of extremely hard work and sound management. There is no white knight. Take it from me.
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby o five » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:10 pm

robranisgod wrote:

As far as I know we were not bailed out by this particular supporter, he was simply a guarantor for the loan we took out.
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby robranisgod » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:23 pm

o five wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

As far as I know we were not bailed out by this particular supporter, he was simply a guarantor for the loan we took out.

Depends who you talk to at the club, some say that he was simply a guarantor others say that he also pitched in money. I have never been an official and only know a couple so who knows?
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Bounce of the ball » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:10 pm

Knowledge does.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby saintal » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:44 am

Encouraging news for Sturt. Good to see that BarZaar finally turned a profit.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:18 pm

knowledge wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

Ummm. No! Categorically, and, irrefutably, incorrect. The result is entirely due to putting one's nose to the grindstone, cutting costs, a lot of extremely hard work and sound management. There is no white knight. Take it from me.

Also shows how the previous admin must have stank. Good work on the turnaround, SANFL will be relieved seeing they guarantee their bank debt.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Ronnie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Stories persist about white knights and football clubs, fascinating as they are, many would be fiction. Some must be true.

But I remember reading a football book, where it was stated that an elderly gent, literally turned up on Sturt's doorstep, with a serious amount of money, back in the dark days of 1995, when extinction was almost assured. The near defeated GM had no idea it was coming, and had to work to gain the trust of the benefactor. Part of folklore or not, it makes you wonder a bit.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Fricky » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:54 pm

Ronnie wrote:Stories persist about white knights and football clubs, fascinating as they are, many would be fiction. Some must be true.

But I remember reading a football book, where it was stated that an elderly gent, literally turned up on Sturt's doorstep, with a serious amount of money, back in the dark days of 1995, when extinction was almost assured. The near defeated GM had no idea it was coming, and had to work to gain the trust of the benefactor. Part of folklore or not, it makes you wonder a bit.

I cant remember the guys name, but someone use to bail out Geelong a lot through the 80's and early 90's. Billy Brownless spoke about him on the footy show about how he would just sign cheques to any amount the club needed to pay staff, players, bills etc.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:56 pm

Glenelg results are out, $243K loss in 2014 ($98K excluding depreciation) with a projected profit in 2015, this from a $570K loss in 2013. Result is $65K down on budgeted loss of $33K (excluding depreciation). EBITDA result $122K.

Still a long, long way to go, but a significant improvement and the structural changes should provide future sustainability.

AGM is on Feb 10, and the full Annual Report is available on the club's website.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:
knowledge wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

Also shows how the previous admin must have stank. Good work on the turnaround, SANFL will be relieved seeing they guarantee their bank debt.

How do you mean Admin ?
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:00 pm

Previous Administration
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:51 pm

The board you mean ?
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby knowledge » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:13 am

Dutchy wrote:
knowledge wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

While it would be easy to draw that conclusion, Duthy, reduction of the SFC's debt commenced under previous administrations. Yes, the current CEO 'team' have built upon the strategies put in place by Matt Benson, and further refined and enhanced them, but, I would be loath to point the stick at Matt for the previous state of financial affairs. That goes much further back than his tenure. The actual Board structure has been fairly static for 15 years at Sturt, so, the majority of the board members have been incumbent for some time. It's not as simple as saying, " the previous administration stunk", because, it's definitely not the case.
Last edited by knowledge on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
knowledge
Rookie

Postby knowledge » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:16 am

Ronnie wrote:Stories persist about white knights and football clubs, fascinating as they are, many would be fiction. Some must be true.

This recollection is true. You're on the money, there, Ronnie! But the most recent story, is just that - a story!
knowledge
Rookie

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:03 am

Part of the turnaround has been attributed to heavy cost cutting, why could these costs be found in 2014 but not previous years?

Why are Sturt the only SANFL club with its debt guaranteed by the SANFL? They never assisted any other club when they have asked for this support.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby knowledge » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:11 am

Dutchy wrote:Part of the turnaround has been attributed to heavy cost cutting, why could these costs be found in 2014 but not previous years?

Why are Sturt the only SANFL club with its debt guaranteed by the SANFL? They never assisted any other club when they have asked for this support.

I'll get back to you after the AGM ion Monday night on the first part of your post re cost cutting and the turnaround . It would be unfair to do that here right now. In regards to your second point, I don't know. Other than saying that the club's bankers are more than happy with the club's interest and principal payments at present. Which makes the question of the SANFL's guarantee a bit of a non issue - at the moment, of course.
knowledge
Rookie

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:15 am

Dutchy wrote:Part of the turnaround has been attributed to heavy cost cutting, why could these costs be found in 2014 but not previous years?

On a completely unrelated matter who did Leigh Whicker play for?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby knowledge » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:32 am

Wedgie wrote:

On a completely unrelated matter who did Leigh Whicker play for?

Come on Wedgie.....there's enough conspiracy theories surrounding Essendon/ASADA at the moment. Let's not start anymore,
knowledge
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL