HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Country Division

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:10 pm

i understand that their closest neighbor bSR have withdrawn from RIFL. Surely that should help them?
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby cracka » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:i understand that their closest neighbor bSR have withdrawn from RIFL. Surely that should help them?

Maybe SC could merge with BSR & play in RIFL.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Have S/C forfeited many B grade games in recent years?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 pm

The Gimp wrote:More importantly, would it be good for the division/league if S/C were forced to one side in the C grade? And the answer is yes.
They've had long enough to get up to speed with the requirements of Country div and they just haven't been able to fill junior sides. They have also struggled to fill 2 senior sides with multiple players constantly doubling up after the B grade to play A's.
I really think it's time they bit the bullet and nominated a C grade side and took a leaf out of Milang's book.
Otherwise we're just going to see another Callington debacle which will once again tarnish the league even more than what it is now....

Agree entirely Gimp.

HFL Bylaws state the following:
18.1.2. For a Club to play Country Division Football, they must have 4 teams to compete within this Division, these being A and B Grade, Senior and Junior Colts. However a Club upon a written submission to the HFL Board may apply to vary this rule, but only in relation to either a Senior or Junior Colt Team for the upcoming season.

Pretty straightforward really. Sedan have conceded they are unable to field ANY junior teams in 2015.

They don't meet the by-law, end of discussion.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby On The Pine » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:12 pm

More Legs Men surfacing on this forum?
On The Pine
Rookie

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby The Gimp » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:09 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Have S/C forfeited many B grade games in recent years?

Not that I'm aware of but they probably should've in a few if they didn't double up so many players.
Their results speak for themselves:
2014, 1 win - 18%
2013, 1 win - 13%
2012, 4 wins - 26% (2 wins and 4% without Callington wins)
2011, 2 wins - 19% (0 wins and 12% without Callington wins)
2010, 2 wins - 14% (0 wins and 10% without Callington wins)

Credit to the players that keep coming out to play and to the heap of players that keep doubling up but there comes a time when you have to realise what you're doing is detriment to the division and the league. And the clubs have to make the tough call if S/C aren't going to do it themselves.

I would actually love to see a C grade game between S/C and Milang. I think it would be a bloody ripper. Similar type towns and similar passion for their club.
They have to realise that with out juniors (they've never had senior colts), the club's future is dire. Play within your means and enter a really strong C grade team, get a few wins under the belt and get some success to reward the effort the volunteers are doing for the club.
The Gimp
Reserves

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:37 pm

These last few posts remind me of a trainspotting quote "It's easy to be philosophical when some other poor c8nt gots shite for blood"
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby cracka » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:These last few posts remind me of a trainspotting quote "It's easy to be philosophical when some other poor c8nt gots shite for blood"

Another no win situation for the HFL. Everyone (mostly from outside the HFL) bags us for not doing anything about Callington, now when some suggest what's probably best for a club heading in the same direction, we get bagged.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:08 pm

cracka wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:These last few posts remind me of a trainspotting quote "It's easy to be philosophical when some other poor c8nt gots shite for blood"

Another no win situation for the HFL. Everyone (mostly from outside the HFL) bags us for not doing anything about Callington, now when some suggest what's probably best for a club heading in the same direction, we get bagged.

Yes to the Callington situation was awkward and could of been handled better, but the final decision rests with the club (then the league acts on that decision) and only they know if it was a better option to continue, disband or go to C grade. From memory they did have a colts team so made it slightly different.
Unfortunately for S/C it's not only the club but the entire area around them that is struggling. Over recent time Morgan and Cadell amalgamated but now disbanded, Robertstown amalgamated with Eudunda ( I think), Ramco moved to the Riverland independent and this year BSR have disbanded.
I wish S/C all the best in their endeavours to keep their club alive, the same as Milang. (I have great respect for them regrouping as a club, see comments in the C grade thread) Also can see the frustration from other Country div clubs re the juniors as it is becoming a massive problem for this div. Simply put juniors equals the ability to replenish playing stocks for the future, combine this with them having to play at different ovals kills the social aspect of a town coming together for the day is one of numerous other negatives to this situation. It is always worrying when a club needs to buy in players to help them fill grades as it means they are in trouble for their future.
How to solve this? One suggestion is to improve the C grade (even change the name to Country div II, it sounds better than c grade) and make it better competition, with more exposure ( Very little is written in either the Courier or the Final Siren about the comp, perhaps print a brief game commentary, scores and table under its own banner ) and sub committee or at least one person to oversee the running of it to give guidance and direction, look at bringing in new teams or strengthening the current ones with perhaps clubs combining even if for one year to have a strong team playing number wise and thus no forfeits. Look for sponsorship. Times for games, ask clubs for their best options and have a flexible schedule. If necessary in the future bring in a colts comp, again be flexible with the age limit each year may be u/15 one year u/16 the next.
As in the future other clubs may have the same problems as Milang, Callington or S/C, but if they have a meaningful competition to play in gives them an option for their club to survive and or regroup and step back up into the Country div at some point.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby The Crumber » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:30 pm

I recently heard a rumour that Bridgewater has dropped all connections with Callington. Can anyone confirm this?

Excellent post YOPK. But far too sensible and logical to ever be considered by the HFL.
Older, wiser and been there. But still love that grassroots country footy.
The Crumber
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby cracka » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:45 pm

The Crumber wrote:I recently heard a rumour that Bridgewater has dropped all connections with Callington. Can anyone confirm this?

Excellent post YOPK. But far too sensible and logical to ever be considered by the HFL.

See central div thread for answer to 1st part.
What is far too sensible for the HFL to consider, please elaborate.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:57 am

The Crumber wrote:I recently heard a rumour that Bridgewater has dropped all connections with Callington. Can anyone confirm this?

Well, apart from changing their name at the Dec 2014 AGM to the Bridgewater Callington Raiders Football Club, changing the club colours to blue, white and gold, playing half their home games at Callington, having Callington based individuals on the Board and Callington based players across every grade - you're correct.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby cracka » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:48 am

So are Sedan/Cambrai playing in Div 2 (country div) or div 3 (C grades & clubs with no juniors).
cracka
Veteran

Postby The Gimp » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:21 am

cracka wrote:So are Sedan/Cambrai playing in Div 2 (country div) or div 3 (C grades & clubs with no juniors).

I've heard that they are not playing in div 2. So I'm not sure if that means they aren't playing at all or if they are going to submit a team in C grade.
The Gimp
Reserves

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby saintal » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:45 pm

cracka wrote:So are Sedan/Cambrai playing in Div 2 (country div) or div 3 (C grades & clubs with no juniors).

According to a few of their cricketers, Cambrai will field two senior teams, no colts. Decent numbers on the track.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby redsox » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:27 pm

saintal wrote:

According to a few of their cricketers, Cambrai will field two senior teams, no colts. Decent numbers on the track.

Sedan / Cambrai voted out of Div 2 last night.

Very close vote with some clubs abstaining.
redsox

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby saintal » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:27 pm

redsox wrote:
saintal wrote:

Sedan / Cambrai voted out of Div 2 last night.

Very close vote with some clubs abstaining.

Ouch, ok didn't realise it was going to a vote. Hopefully this can work in favour of the club, rather than being the (potential) beginning of the end. Still I'd imagine they would be very disappointed with this outcome.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby On The Pine » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:53 pm

And the end it would be. Imports and coach would possibly go, reducing two senior teams to one would mean players who miss out would leave and local kids who wouldn't make A's would give up. Not to mention the netball players who have instigated and built the netball comp that follows the footy would have no footy to follow. And if true, making this decision in February just to top it off!
On The Pine
Rookie

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:46 pm

Could be some more legal fees coming up for the Hills Football League.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:14 pm

200 Killer Wasps wrote:Could be some more legal fees coming up for the Hills Football League.

why ?

If you're referring to the Sedan scenario, how can you be sued for implementing the by-law as written ?
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy