HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Country Division

Postby wazzal77 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:59 am

Ok, understand that they can still field a team, but its only 1 team isnt it? didnt they have 2 teams last year? Does the netball still follow the footy in Div 3? do they get gate fees in Div 2 AND Div 3 (this has a big affect for a little clubs finances). Can they source top up players for juniors from any other clubs to help make it through?
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby wazzal77 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:11 am

this Sedan thing has me interested, I feel like travelling out there to support them! Have checked the A grade results and see that they have won 7 A grade games since 2010 and most were against Callington which I understand Elmer is now part of your club.
I admire any club that has been able to still hold itself together to even field 2 snr teams - it shows the level of support that this club has from its community.
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby On The Pine » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:18 am

Yes, only one team in a comp that is made up of Milang and other clubs fielding sides with excess players. If it was a structured Div 3 then no problems with that concept. No netball with C grade, that comp follows Div 2 with most clubs fielding sides. The gate is something I hadn't thought of. The answer is yes for Div 2 but I would doubt it for C grade, but maybe someone can enlighten us.
On The Pine
Rookie

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby On The Pine » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:21 am

wazzal77 wrote:this Sedan thing has me interested, I feel like travelling out there to support them! Have checked the A grade results and see that they have won 7 A grade games since 2010 and most were against Callington which I understand Elmer is now part of your club.
I admire any club that has been able to still hold itself together to even field 2 snr teams - it shows the level of support that this club has from its community.

Someone finally who gets it. Now, if you do come out, bring about 15 kids as well!
On The Pine
Rookie

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:25 am

On The Pine wrote:Elmer, good as. No coming back from Div 3. You loose half of the senior players, netballers have no options so no future.

Milang seem to be doing ok in div 3/C grade, by all reports is a very suitable comp for a small town.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:42 am

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
wazzal77 wrote:New poster and jumpring between the country and central threads as new to hills and finding my feet on where to send my lad to play and who to support. As I said in the central forum theres a lot going on in this league and I see with some dismay and interest being from a small town that Sedan Cambrai are struggling and were voted out..what affect does that have to a small town and community with a netball club that follows the footy. Is the towns and league so cruel to chop an entire town out because they cant fill a junior team. I see that there are rules but rules do need to reflect what is happening in small communities and be able to adjust. Do central clubs or country only clubs vote on such important decisions like this?
I feel for Sedan Cambrai as a community as in winter what other choice of sport do they have? Certainly doesnt sound like the people who voted them out where thinking about being inclusive and giving as many players as possible a go at playing football for their local town.
But hey what do I know, I am sure I will learn more about the ins and outs of this league as I get to 'shop' around..!

Just to be clear, they haven't been 'voted out', they have been put into Division 3. They remain a member club of the HFL.

"Division 3" is nothing more than a kick and catch C-Grade, same effect as being kicked out.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:56 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
wazzal77 wrote:New poster and jumpring between the country and central threads as new to hills and finding my feet on where to send my lad to play and who to support. As I said in the central forum theres a lot going on in this league and I see with some dismay and interest being from a small town that Sedan Cambrai are struggling and were voted out..what affect does that have to a small town and community with a netball club that follows the footy. Is the towns and league so cruel to chop an entire town out because they cant fill a junior team. I see that there are rules but rules do need to reflect what is happening in small communities and be able to adjust. Do central clubs or country only clubs vote on such important decisions like this?
I feel for Sedan Cambrai as a community as in winter what other choice of sport do they have? Certainly doesnt sound like the people who voted them out where thinking about being inclusive and giving as many players as possible a go at playing football for their local town.
But hey what do I know, I am sure I will learn more about the ins and outs of this league as I get to 'shop' around..!

Just to be clear, they haven't been 'voted out', they have been put into Division 3. They remain a member club of the HFL.

"Division 3" is nothing more than a kick and catch C-Grade, same effect as being kicked out.

So what should happen. 8 clubs who can fill the requirements bend to 1 club who can't. ](*,)
Milang are happy to play within their means in the so called kick & catch comp.
Again we all know the biggest issue in country div is clubs not having junior teams.
Maybe we should just have 1 div as that works so well for SFL.
cracka
Veteran

Postby wazzal77 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Understand your view Cracka, I cant think of an example where anyone, anyteam or any company needs or wants to bend to appease one. But if Sedan have fielded 2 x teams, and now they will only field 1, that means 20 (I suppose?) drop out only two months out from the season starts? I obviously dont have a lot of context here re history. But I still cant figure why a club who has too many for Div 3 cant be in Div 2.
I get the sense here it is about juniors as you have said, so if thats the biggest issue removing a club because of lack of junior participation is a slippery slope. What other clubs with small populations with negative growth are there and face the same thing...do these towns have soccer now, if not will they as you only need what 7-10 to play? I see the challenge, but removing a club with what understand is able to fill 2 teams back to filling just 1 I dont think is the answer. I dont know enough to give advice on what that answer is, but clearly there are real issues here if this is the only solution that has been adopted by the clubs. I heard on the radio this morning the vote was 8-7 to demote SC (this prompted me to join the forum). This leaves some clubs not putting a vote forward, this doesnt appear right. such a decision like this, which is so close shouldnt have fence sitters, and if there are fence sitters then I would say that these voters werent convinced that demoting SC was the right thing to do (at this point in time anyway).
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:39 pm

I think in the past they have not had the 2 full senior teams either & players have had to play 2 games most weekends & getting flogged in the process. I do feel for them being a small community & somewhat isolated. It's not the HFL's fault the Mid Murray comp folded. In the past the HFL has been bagged for not doing anything about Callington, so I ask, what should they have done then (hindsight is a wonderful thing) & what should be done now with Sedan/Cambrai.
cracka
Veteran

Postby wazzal77 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:29 pm

Oh really, not full teams hey? If they got flogged but still turned up I admire them! Certainly not the HFL fault, they are isolated and no matter which they turn they will face issues (Barossa too strong, Riverland Independant too far and a lot of teams on brink, RMFL too strong) so they are probably a square peg in round hole.

It was mentioned in previous post issues in Div 2 is juniors but the Hahndorf club were filling their junior spot where they? How come that doesnt work then? Or is that the Clubs dont want to travel to Sedan and/or want a more competitive A grade side?
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:25 pm

I’d be a rich man if I had a dollar for every post I’ve seen on this forum over the years saying that the Callington situation was making a laughing stock of the HFL given the poor performances of their senior teams, their lack of junior teams and how they should be moved to C-grade.

Now we have a club in an identical situation. Sedan hasn’t fielded a junior or senior colts team since 2011 with ongoing floggings of their senior teams. They’ve been moved to C-grade and we now have posts suggesting that it’s an abomination.

Go figure
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby wazzal77 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:57 pm

I can see thats were Sedan probably end up in the in end, in a lower Div. But to do that 8 weeks or so out from season start? Unless of course they were told last year. I hope what juniors are there are getting a game. I also hope that I am wrong in that they were given 8 weeks notice.
I wish them luck and will watch with interest how they go and how their netball club goes.

So whos the strong team in Country likely to be and which club is normally regarded as the most forward thinking and inclusive for junior development (not too far from Mt Barker though please? I want my lad to be able to still hopefully play with some mates, but asking his mates parents though results in pretty one sided recommendation!
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:01 pm

Forcing a club, towns, community to stop fielding a team is reprehensible. Where else can they go? Twenty guys are told to stop playing sport. I thought the Echunga saga was embarrassing but this ridiculous. If you support this decision I challenge you to you to visit Sedan and Cambrai and tell the residents that they don't "qualify" to play sport. They are second class citizens.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:Forcing a club, towns, community to stop fielding a team is reprehensible. Where else can they go? Twenty guys are told to stop playing sport. I thought the Echunga saga was embarrassing but this ridiculous. If you support this decision I challenge you to you to visit Sedan and Cambrai and tell the residents that they don't "qualify" to play sport. They are second class citizens.

Oh dear, seems we have a drama queen in our midst.

They haven't been told "they don't qualify to play sport" they've been told to play in Div 3. Sheesh.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:22 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:Forcing a club, towns, community to stop fielding a team is reprehensible. Where else can they go? Twenty guys are told to stop playing sport. I thought the Echunga saga was embarrassing but this ridiculous. If you support this decision I challenge you to you to visit Sedan and Cambrai and tell the residents that they don't "qualify" to play sport. They are second class citizens.

WTF. They haven't been told they don't "qualify" to play sport or go to another comp FFS. Ridiculous post.
Maybe you can answer what should have happened with Callington then.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:43 pm

They haven't been told "they don't qualify to play sport" they've been told to play in Div 3. Sheesh.

Where do the B graders go?
Last edited by Esteban Vihaio on Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:44 pm

Any one tell me how many imports S/C had left at the end of season? Know a couple left mid season.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:46 pm

cracka wrote:

WTF. They haven't been told they don't "qualify" to play sport or go to another comp FFS. Ridiculous post.
Maybe you can answer what should have happened with Callington then.

Perhaps I should have specifically said, speak to the b-graders of S/C. They guys who could play in 2014 you will either give the game away or play every second or third week
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:48 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:

Well some of them play in the A grade straight after, apparently.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:52 pm

cracka wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:

Well some of them play in the A grade straight after, apparently.

Apparently. WTF....

Go and speak to them. Stop being a keyboard warrior and tell these lads that fill the B-Grade every week for S/C
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy