BL&G Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: BL&G Football League

Postby TimmiesChin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:24 pm

hotspur wrote:Maybe one might - might - play A grade. The rest are from a league that equates to about C grade in the BLG.
How can a BOG in that grand final be anything to go by.
Read the entries on the Riverland pages, where their own supporters don't see them as A graders in the Barossa.
Being a gun in one league doesn't make you the same at a higher level.

Agree with your last statement.

That being said, I was playing alongside them over the past few years and having previously played in the valley believe all 4 (that I referred to) could realistically play A's based on a look at few players I see running around at the moment. Maybe not big fish, but I believe best 22, injury permitting.
The challenge is obviously adjusting to the training/commitment, but two of three of those listed are gym junkies so probably working harder during the week than many.

Three at least had Riverland clubs chasing them in recent years. Payne would play A's in pretty much any country league.

ultimately no point bitching about it now, time will tell.
Last edited by TimmiesChin on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby hotspur » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:30 pm

Perhaps Swamp you need to have seen the players in question play - I have - to make a reasoned appraisal. I find it laughable that someone could say anyone but Payne could make any of the BLG A grade teams. Probably some of the APFL A teams too. Though you'd know more about that than me.
And no, heads not in the clouds but in reality. The standard is better, particularly in intensity levels. Most APFL teams would struggle to win games in the BLG; fact. How many would be invited if the Plains league folded, Mallala...who else? You tell me and why.
hotspur
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Swamp Donkey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:01 pm

hotspur wrote:Perhaps Swamp you need to have seen the players in question play - I have - to make a reasoned appraisal. I find it laughable that someone could say anyone but Payne could make any of the BLG A grade teams. Probably some of the APFL A teams too. Though you'd know more about that than me.
And no, heads not in the clouds but in reality. The standard is better, particularly in intensity levels. Most APFL teams would struggle to win games in the BLG; fact. How many would be invited if the Plains league folded, Mallala...who else? You tell me and why.

Firstly, I guess we'll just have to wait and see on Payne.

Secondly, I think you may have misinterpreted the key point of my post. Not keen on wasting my time discussing rediculous hypotheticals. Interested to hear you think Mallala would make the invite list :?
Last edited by Swamp Donkey on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby RooShootOhh » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:03 pm

hotspur wrote:The standard is better, particularly in intensity levels. Most APFL teams would struggle to win games in the BLG; fact. How many would be invited if the Plains league folded, Mallala...who else?

The depth is better which equates to an overall standard I'll possibly give you that. But if you want to compare sides from comps from last year both Hamley and Mallala would have pushed in not beat Nuri to fourth spot.

Barossa would have only had HWE behind them in the plains... Kapunda were horrible (their club as a whole would have struggled to compete in the plains last year), freeling improved late but would have struggled early in most comps..

The BLG has more people to choose from which creates a bigger talent pool, which drives improvement and depth in their clubs making it a strong league, but to think it is miles above the standards of other individuals in laughable.

The reality is the top handful of players from most leagues would comfortably hold their own in any other league in the state.
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby hotspur » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:24 pm

I agree about the point on the best players from any league being interchangeable, and Hamley's team LAST YEAR would have had a good year in the BLG, but that's a spec$al case.
We'll have to agree to disagree about the rest.
hotspur
Under 16s

Postby Stewie Griffin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Having played in both BL&G and Riverland Independent, I reckon I can have a semi-educated guess at the BSR boys likelihood of success this year.
Sam Marks is hard at it and strong but needs to improve his skills a LOT to be a solid BLG player,
from what I saw he was pretty fortunate to be named the losing teams Best in the GF last year anyway.
Payne has the skills for sure, and can kick it a mile.... The big thing is He will have to adapt to playing on a quality footballer ALL the time,
and will have to be stronger at the ball and hit it harder and with more intent.
Shying from hard contact will stand out a lot more in the BLG.
Will be interesting and I hope they go well.
Might even trundle down to Tanunda's first game for a peek.
Stewie Griffin
Under 18s

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Bordertown

Postby RooShootOhh » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:47 pm

hotspur wrote:Hamley's team LAST YEAR would have had a good year in the BLG, but that's a spec$al case

Mate name a team that has won a flag in a decent comp that hasn't paid out some coin to have the best side (especially comps realitively close to Adelaide)... It's unavoidable whether you like it or not!

BLG for example, all of Barossa Tanunda and Gawler Central would have paid a decent amount to get their premiership teams on the park, and good on them, if they didnt spend it they likely wouldn't have anything in the trophy cabinet! This having a go at clubs these days for spending money is usually only done by sides who either wont spend it a finish nowhere or spend it on the wrong people and still finish nowhere.

Given your two lads have played at other clubs for $$$$ i wouldn't think you would be accusing clubs of spending it?!?
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Postby OnSong » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:55 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:
hotspur wrote:Hamley's team LAST YEAR would have had a good year in the BLG, but that's a spec$al case

Mate name a team that has won a flag in a decent comp that hasn't paid out some coin to have the best side (especially comps realitively close to Adelaide)... It's unavoidable whether you like it or not!

BLG for example, all of Barossa Tanunda and Gawler Central would have paid a decent amount to get their premiership teams on the park, and good on them, if they didnt spend it they likely wouldn't have anything in the trophy cabinet! This having a go at clubs these days for spending money is usually only done by sides who either wont spend it a finish nowhere or spend it on the wrong people and still finish nowhere.

Given your two lads have played at other clubs for $$$$ i wouldn't think you would be accusing clubs of spending it?!?

I'm not against any club spending money but there's spending money and then there's splashing cash. Ridiculous cash. CASH.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby hotspur » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Agree with Onsong. You can spend big dollars on one flag or for a 3-5 year period. Hamley did it the 1st way, the others one multiple flags. Will Hamley with their investment
I prefer the second option' spending money as an investment. If you win multiple flags players come and stay - the right players. So, no I'm not against spending. Touche.
hotspur
Under 16s

Postby RooShootOhh » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:21 pm

I think you will find Hamley didn't splash as much cash as everyone thinks... but of course thats an easy accusation to make from any outsider.
Also I reckon you will find that Hamley invested for 3 years to get their flag, Fifth, third (after finishing second minor round) and then First. difference between them and a Tanunda outfit was Tanunda had an extremely rare and talented group of locals to add imports to, Hamleys 7 spoons on the trot before the last 3 years suggest they didnt have the same base.

Anyway back to the BLG....

It wouldn't surprise me to see the BSR lads fit in well with a deep Tanunda unit and push back into the 4.
With Williams Baker MacCallum Childs plus more I can seeing Willaston dropping off quickly
South will improve again, haven't lost much from all reports, add KPP and onballers to a side that led at half time in the GF
Can Freeling continue their improvement from the last few rounds from last year?
Nuri have added to a team that surprising made the four last year so should also improve...
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Postby Useless » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:38 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:I think you will find Hamley didn't splash as much cash as everyone thinks... but of course thats an easy accusation to make from any outsider.
Also I reckon you will find that Hamley invested for 3 years to get their flag, Fifth, third (after finishing second minor round) and then First. difference between them and a Tanunda outfit was Tanunda had an extremely rare and talented group of locals to add imports to, Hamleys 7 spoons on the trot before the last 3 years suggest they didnt have the same base.

Anyway back to the BLG....

It wouldn't surprise me to see the BSR lads fit in well with a deep Tanunda unit and push back into the 4.
With Williams Baker MacCallum Childs plus more I can seeing Willaston dropping off quickly
South will improve again, haven't lost much from all reports, add KPP and onballers to a side that led at half time in the GF
Can Freeling continue their improvement from the last few rounds from last year?
Nuri have added to a team that surprising made the four last year so should also improve...

and now Hamley will barely field a A grade side. They spent a bucket load and now most of that cash is gone so some serious rebuilding to occur. They didnt spend it very wisely but hey they won the flag so cant criticise to much.

if Tanunda are picking up a few players how are they going with points I wouldn't have thought they would have to many to throw around.
Useless

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Stewie Griffin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:49 pm

The BSR players are all zero points as their side has 'folded' for 2015.
So Tanunda get a bonus of 3-4 extra players without using a point
Stewie Griffin
Under 18s

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Bordertown

Postby Red Rocket » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Until I see who all the recruits are its hard to predict ladder position although I think the cup will stay in Gawler.
If I was to place a bet today id be confident of a rematch of this years GF.
Central may have lost a few but they have real good depth and still have some outstanding players, cant see them dropping off much at all.
I keep hearing positives out of the South camp, dont know mames but have picked up a player from Hamley aswell as a couple of players returning from Centrals, hearing Sibenaler is also returning and Mussolino training the house down which is a big boost if true.
Who knows with Willaston, appear to have lost a couple but not sure if Childs is confirmed or not, sounds like Baker wont play either so they could drop back to the pack, reckon they could miss. At this stage Tanunda and Nuri to make up the 4 but probably several games behind the two Gawler sides. Tanunda appear to be making plenty of additions, will be interesting to see how they go. Havnt heard much from the vine Inn way but pending the Essendon fiasco Slattery will be a decent get.
The rest unfortunately look like making up the numbers, cant see Kapunda or Angaston improving too much and Freeling a little unknown, sound like they have picked up a couple but they needed to, still cant see them finishing clear of the bottom 2-3.
Give the Dogs the spoon now, will be lucky to win a game and cop some thrashings along the way, have some good kids and huge numbers at junior level so the future isnt all bleak
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby Chuck Wepner » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Red Rocket wrote:Until I see who all the recruits are its hard to predict ladder position although I think the cup will stay in Gawler.
If I was to place a bet today id be confident of a rematch of this years GF.
Central may have lost a few but they have real good depth and still have some outstanding players, cant see them dropping off much at all.
I keep hearing positives out of the South camp, dont know mames but have picked up a player from Hamley aswell as a couple of players returning from Centrals, hearing Sibenaler is also returning and Mussolino training the house down which is a big boost if true.
Who knows with Willaston, appear to have lost a couple but not sure if Childs is confirmed or not, sounds like Baker wont play either so they could drop back to the pack, reckon they could miss. At this stage Tanunda and Nuri to make up the 4 but probably several games behind the two Gawler sides. Tanunda appear to be making plenty of additions, will be interesting to see how they go. Havnt heard much from the vine Inn way but pending the Essendon fiasco Slattery will be a decent get.
The rest unfortunately look like making up the numbers, cant see Kapunda or Angaston improving too much and Freeling a little unknown, sound like they have picked up a couple but they needed to, still cant see them finishing clear of the bottom 2-3.
Give the Dogs the spoon now, will be lucky to win a game and cop some thrashings along the way, have some good kids and huge numbers at junior level so the future isnt all bleak

Sad but true. No Cutting, no Stelzers = no hope. Could be a case of back to back flags followed by back to back spoons. Junior numbers are good, but too many of Dad's Army still running around in the B Grade I reckon.
I think Angaston might improve but it will still be dominated by the Gawler sides IMO.
I say no to drugs, but they don’t listen.
Chuck Wepner
Under 16s

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: United Yeelanna

Postby buster07 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:19 pm

Heard on weekend Stanley not at Centrals, is moving interstate
Any truth
buster07
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:20 pm

I understand he's not been training with the Crows.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby barrys antz » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:29 pm

buster07 wrote:Heard on weekend Stanley not at Centrals, is moving interstate
Any truth

Has moved to Geelong to play and work is the current word
barrys antz
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby Borat » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:41 pm

barrys antz wrote:
Any truth

nuriootpa signing juniper puts them second cup favourites behind songers mob gawler tigers
ango struggling but picked up couple of lads from saafl,
tanunda recruiting well signing brad moran, greenwood, cowland, payne and marks (all three super footballers from riverland)
south also looking dangerous with sibenaler back
willaston lost williams, gained gepps cross allocca
gawler tigers lost stanley, solly, molyneaux but picked up heberle (why did he leave hamley bridge he coach premiership?)
kapunda signing handy players from cms crows
Borat

Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Borat wrote:
barrys antz wrote:
Any truth

nuriootpa signing juniper puts them second cup favourites behind songers mob gawler tigers
ango struggling but picked up couple of lads from saafl,
tanunda recruiting well signing brad moran, greenwood, cowland, payne and marks (all three super footballers from riverland)
south also looking dangerous with sibenaler back
willaston lost williams, gained gepps cross allocca
gawler tigers lost stanley, solly, molyneaux but picked up heberle (why did he leave hamley bridge he coach premiership?)
kapunda signing handy players from cms crows

Barossa and freeling don't exist anymore borat ?
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Did hear that Juniper is happy playing B Grade and will only play A Grade when points allow as Nuri had already used all their points when Juniper came knocking to come back. May not be an issue if Slattery gets suspended.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy