Adelaide Plains Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:28 am

RooShootOhh wrote:
Woofa wrote:It is a bit concerning what may be happening at the Bridge. Not that we couldnt all see it coming. If you wanna blow all your money on a 3 yr premiership window, then you really need to hang around when things are tough. Otherwise they shouldve invested all that money on ensuring the club is around long term. They have a responsibility to the league they are playing in. This league cannot afford to lose a club!! To hear they may be having a meeting to decide their future is very disappointing....WTF Agree with Ace, where is the ticker???

Interesting point you make, so what would be your suggestions (and please take this as a genuine question, Im not trying to take the piss)???

From what I understand they actually subsidized a lot of the fees for their juniors (from Auskick to Colts level). So what other ideas do you suggest the club do for long term sustainability.

Lets not forget their JC made the GF this year, so they have been putting work into their junior program. I heard they were strongly pushing for Joint Registration for juniors with the BLG but the BLG were not forthcoming.

The ground has come along in leaps and bounds over the last 5 years. They are in the process of trying to upgrade the Community Centre, but waiting on grants from the Gov can be tiresome.

The problem for Hamley is there is a huge gap in local players at the senior age bracket. You just can't make numbers appear from nowhere. Everyone had a crack at Hamley when the won how many wooden spoons on the trot, the club didn something about it, won a flag and still everyone wants to criticise. Everyone was happy to bag the president who tipped in money then seem awfully surprised when he leaves they wont have as much money around the club.

It seems they are an easy target for everyone to sit back and have a go at, but noone seems to offer any suggestions of how they improve.

The topic of grants is an interesting one, IMO why should any football club get a government grant? They ALL spend big dollars on players, if they can afford that they can afford their own facility upgrades. Had a recent conversation with a guy who has input in deciding who gets grants and his thinking was very much along the same lines. The only way you have any sort of hope is if your set up is a sporting club set up as opposed to a football club. Gawler Central and Nuri are the only two in the Blg, not sure of the set ups in APFL
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby RooShootOhh » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:45 am

From what I understand, the rooms at Hamley are not the football clubs, they are infact the towns community centre, the club hires the rooms during the footy season. Hence why applying for a grant vs a footy club applying for a grant for this example are completely different.

But I dont disagree with your sentiment Days...
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby Nocyrils » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:09 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
RooShootOhh wrote:The problem for Hamley is there is a huge gap in local players at the senior age bracket. You just can't make numbers appear from nowhere. Everyone had a crack at Hamley when the won how many wooden spoons on the trot, the club didn something about it, won a flag and still everyone wants to criticise. Everyone was happy to bag the president who tipped in money then seem awfully surprised when he leaves they wont have as much money around the club.

It seems they are an easy target for everyone to sit back and have a go at, but noone seems to offer any suggestions of how they improve.

They were on the right path getting guys who hung around for a few yrs. It's ultimately the premiershp year's recruiting that could prove to be the downfall.
3 mercenaries in, get the choccies, 3 mercenaries out. Then as others move on through more natural movement, thats when it hurts.
I feel for blokes like Natty and Slok, lads who hang in their thru thick and thin. Wonder if they wld trade the flag from last year to be out of the predicament their beloved club is now in.

They had 3 players in Taylor Greenwood and Haseldine as imports that left and replaced them with 3 more. I dont think it has effected them in one way shape of form to be truthful. Ive been told the club spent less in its premiership year than it did the year before...

And I don't think you will find too many how could argue that 3 players you mention were well worth it.[/quote im more interested to see why hamleys coach left after finishing the season off on a high?. Newton leaves ,cash drys up players leave for more money etc. Then coach chucks it in after just one season. Makes you think ,with cash drying up was his heart really in the club and its future or was he just there for the paper too. Y would any coach leave after winning a flag. Wouldnt you want more success. Maybe hes not as good as coach as he thinks and after stribs and the others left i think he may of started to question his own coaching ability
Nocyrils
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Hamley Bridge

Postby Snags » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:24 pm

OnSong wrote:You're saying you wouldn't have blokes like Stribling, Dowdell and Duncan if they were willing to play for your club?

Personally I would prefer to recruit blokes that want to be around for longer periods of time and not just when the $$ is flowing. Like two wells for instant snagged Obrien and pontt from a div 4 side and now they are crucial points in there structure and I can't see them going anywhere soon! Recruit good blokes that can play footy not just blokes that are good at footy.
Snags
Under 16s

Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Greggy Gregginson » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Snags wrote:
OnSong wrote:You're saying you wouldn't have blokes like Stribling, Dowdell and Duncan if they were willing to play for your club?

Personally I would prefer to recruit blokes that want to be around for longer periods of time and not just when the $$ is flowing. Like two wells for instant snagged Obrien and pontt from a div 4 side and now they are crucial points in there structure and I can't see them going anywhere soon! Recruit good blokes that can play footy not just blokes that are good at footy.

I tend to agree with you Snags. Not to say I wouldn't take any of the Hamley boys at my club, but given they would all be worth quite a bit of cash and aren't likely to hang around for an extended period of time, I would have been wary as a recruiter to get them all, and at the same time
Greggy Gregginson
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby FrancisGilbertHamley » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Hebs wasn’t the first one to leave when it all looked too hard, the reigning mail medallist and captain of the club walked after 2013 season because “Hamley won’t win a premiership, I only play for premierships”, maybe they will both regret their decision...

Nighthawk I am pretty sure Slok and Natty would like to keep their premiership because the laser surgery to remove their tattoos would be quite expensive. Especially for Slok because he also has a horrendous tattoo of a Yabby on his shoulder that also needs erasing.
Some folks are wise and some are otherwise.
FrancisGilbertHamley
Under 16s

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Hamley Bridge

Postby footy trawler » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Why does everyone assume that good players are not good blokes - bad call.

The m$ney that is paid to a player does not determine whether they are a long term prospect - this is the job of the recruiters, not just throw bickies at everyone good player. They should interview players before making big offers.

Anyone that has met stribling would know he is not long term and therefore was a conscious decision by Hamley to target a single premiership - thats their choice.
footy trawler
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby norm11 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:02 pm

United the big improvers this year for me. Good recruits.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Greggy Gregginson » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:30 pm

norm11 wrote:United the big improvers this year for me. Good recruits.

I agree with you Norm but I thought the same thing last year (along with a few others as well I'd imagine). A bit more class then the recruits from last year though with 4 BIG signings (2 ex-AFL/League, 1 ex-league, a Div 1 medallist) compared to 4 decent Div 1 players
Greggy Gregginson
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Snags » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Greggy Gregginson wrote:

I agree with you Norm but I thought the same thing last year (along with a few others as well I'd imagine). A bit more class then the recruits from last year though with 4 BIG signings (2 ex-AFL/League, 1 ex-league, a Div 1 medallist) compared to 4 decent Div 1 players

I thought there was only 2 decent div 1 footballers last year? Solly and hood
Snags
Under 16s

Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby footy trawler » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 am

Hood was not a first class div 1 player - mid range at SN as he played HFF or FP.

Solly is a great game changer and serious potential but only when the delivery was there!
footy trawler
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:37 am

I have a feeling Balak will be big improvers this year, provided they retain Catford.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:23 am

Swamp Donkey wrote:

I have a feeling Balak will be big improvers this year, provided they retain Catford.

I doubt whether he'll play every week, works shitloads of hours and can cash in on double time most Saturdays.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Hidden Tiger » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:57 pm

United looks to have more than replaced their losses and the new coach comes with big wraps on him by the sounds of it
Hidden Tiger
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Nuriootpa

Postby Ace of Spades » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:18 pm

OnSong wrote:
Woofa wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:
Snags wrote:
They want him, he wants to play with his brother, if mallala have to clear him (unsure of that rule) then he will be gone!

Clubs generally end up having to clear a player if he wants to play in another association (at last resort via tribunal), but there is no obligation to clear a player when shifting between clubs in the same league.

I think you will find that is not the case. Ive been told enquiries were made to the SANFL & the SACFL with regards to a Hamley premiership local heading to Balak. As long as the player has not signed a contract or owes the club any money, then a club cannot hold them. Its not ideal if a player wants to leave but what do you gain from holding someone that doesnt want to be there?

Just to clarify, Tom Would played in Hamley's flag, was a Hamley junior, but has lived in Balaklava for three years and has married a Balaklava girl, who plays netball here.
He lives in Balaklava with his young family and wants to play in the town he lives in, rather than leave his missus and kid every Saturday.
I can understand Hamley would be reluctant to let him go, he's a good player but also a great club man. But his reasons are pretty understandable IMO.

Yep no problems with this. The Balaklava to Hamley road is terrible too.
Ace of Spades
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Demon Juke » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:

i think you find a couple of the Gepps Cross lads will go all right .
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Ace of Spades » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:02 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:
Woofa wrote:It is a bit concerning what may be happening at the Bridge. Not that we couldnt all see it coming. If you wanna blow all your money on a 3 yr premiership window, then you really need to hang around when things are tough. Otherwise they shouldve invested all that money on ensuring the club is around long term. They have a responsibility to the league they are playing in. This league cannot afford to lose a club!! To hear they may be having a meeting to decide their future is very disappointing....WTF Agree with Ace, where is the ticker???

Interesting point you make, so what would be your suggestions (and please take this as a genuine question, Im not trying to take the piss)???

From what I understand they actually subsidized a lot of the fees for their juniors (from Auskick to Colts level). So what other ideas do you suggest the club do for long term sustainability.

Lets not forget their JC made the GF this year, so they have been putting work into their junior program. I heard they were strongly pushing for Joint Registration for juniors with the BLG but the BLG were not forthcoming.

The ground has come along in leaps and bounds over the last 5 years. They are in the process of trying to upgrade the Community Centre, but waiting on grants from the Gov can be tiresome.

The problem for Hamley is there is a huge gap in local players at the senior age bracket. You just can't make numbers appear from nowhere. Everyone had a crack at Hamley when the won how many wooden spoons on the trot, the club didn something about it, won a flag and still everyone wants to criticise. Everyone was happy to bag the president who tipped in money then seem awfully surprised when he leaves they wont have as much money around the club.

I think you're missing the point.

Whilst there is no doubt putting all the eggs in one basket wasn't an ideal long term plan, I'm not sure anyone bagged the President, in fact it was commendable what one family will do to keep the club going. The pity is that whilst one guy is willing to tip in money which could've bought him a new boat, a number of others wont even invest their time in the club and will play elsewhere for money or to jump on someone else's premiership wagon. I understand it was well known the Prez was pulling the pin at the end of 2014 so I would've thought a lot of effort would've been put into fundraising throughout last year to provide for this year?

Perhaps the senior subs should've been reduced too. I think yours (previously yours) are over $200 from memory or around about anyway? Ours are $70. Lack of locals is an issue for sure, but Hamley aren't the the only ones in this boat. We all want Hamley to survive, so again I reiterate its a pity a number of locals aren't hanging around.

I have no idea if all of these are leaving or staying, I'd say some are staying, but If Schahinger, Smith, Zanendrea (i don't really count him as local but if its good enough for Bushy it's good enough for me), Would (granted he has valid reasons), Appleton, Slok, Natt (been around long enough to chuck in this category) are around in 2015 they would have a good base to start with.

Hopefully Hamley pull through and pick up a couple more "Nattys" who fit well in the group and stay for the mateship not just the cash. It will be a pity if the only ones to ever see your premiership photo hanging in the Community Centre are the Dalkey tennis club. I'd like to think there are 18 blokes in the club that would rather play 2 games a week than let that happen.
Ace of Spades
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby BigV » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:33 am

[quoteIt seems they are an easy target for everyone to sit back and have a go at, but noone seems to offer any suggestions of how they improve.
][/quote]

Maybe Hamley should auction off some of there points??
BigV
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:18 am

Ace of Spades wrote:
I think you're missing the point.

Whilst there is no doubt putting all the eggs in one basket wasn't an ideal long term plan, I'm not sure anyone bagged the President, in fact it was commendable what one family will do to keep the club going. The pity is that whilst one guy is willing to tip in money which could've bought him a new boat, a number of others wont even invest their time in the club and will play elsewhere for money or to jump on someone else's premiership wagon. I understand it was well known the Prez was pulling the pin at the end of 2014 so I would've thought a lot of effort would've been put into fundraising throughout last year to provide for this year?

Surely there is a better way for a president to invest in their club though Ace than spending rediculous amounts of cash over a 2-3 year period to buy a flag. Why not spend less each year and spread money that over a 6-7 year period - that way you'll have a competitve team for a longer period which keeps people interested in being invloved with the club at all levels (members, players, supporters) for a longer period and its give more opportunity for young local lads to play year in year out rather than just being expected to hang around in the shit times when there's no money left to buy a handfull of premiums and 5-6 solid players and consistently field a competitve team. I commend the president for supporting the club financially, but surely there are broader issues with the club if the bloke leading the club isn't aiming for long term sustainability and is happy to continue this boom-bust trend.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Lame Choice » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:43 am

Withour trying to individualise, the level of funding (sponsership) to HBFC has been evident for 10 years or more. Problem now is that it has ceased. What HBFC should have been doing is working on a sustainable model without risk of failure by being reliant on one source. If a sustainable model couldn't eventuate, then folding was/is inevitable. Buying a premiership with one year wonders is a by-product.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy