HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Country Division

Postby wazzal77 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Noted re Gumeracha, hopefully just a 'one off'. So if Hahndorf hadnt have helped Kangarilla would they be able to fill a side in Senior Colts? I didnt realise/appreciate just how strong Hahndorf is with their numbers of players in junior ranks. If they didnt help and Kangarilla didnt have enough to fill a team in Senior Colts that then would have created a another hole in this comp. Has adjusting the age groups been considered /analysed to see if this helps (eg U14, U16 and U18 Or U12, U14 and U16?) with numbers of eligible kids?
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Legs Man » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks Cracka
So if the clubs didn't vote this in how can it be occurring when the clubs make the decision?
Shouldn't another vote be taken with all clubs required to vote due to the anomaly regarding the previous vote taken then made void.
If the clubs weren't aware of the "abstain" ramifications - which we all weren't - doesn't this make the total vote previously null and void.
A new vote seems the most logical solution allowing any grievances to be resolved.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Legs Man » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 pm

wazzal77 wrote:Noted re Gumeracha, hopefully just a 'one off'. So if Hahndorf hadnt have helped Kangarilla would they be able to fill a side in Senior Colts? I didnt realise/appreciate just how strong Hahndorf is with their numbers of players in junior ranks. If they didnt help and Kangarilla didnt have enough to fill a team in Senior Colts that then would have created a another hole in this comp. Has adjusting the age groups been considered /analysed to see if this helps (eg U14, U16 and U18 Or U12, U14 and U16?) with numbers of eligible kids?

The change of age bracket would be a good start Wazza as it brings us into line with all other major Aussie Rules comps.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:37 pm

wazzal77 wrote:Noted re Gumeracha, hopefully just a 'one off'. So if Hahndorf hadnt have helped Kangarilla would they be able to fill a side in Senior Colts? I didnt realise/appreciate just how strong Hahndorf is with their numbers of players in junior ranks. If they didnt help and Kangarilla didnt have enough to fill a team in Senior Colts that then would have created a another hole in this comp. Has adjusting the age groups been considered /analysed to see if this helps (eg U14, U16 and U18 Or U12, U14 and U16?) with numbers of eligible kids?

I've suggested at HFL meetings that div 2 ages be U13, U15 & U18. Changing the age GAP to 3 years from junior colts to senior colts has been talked about but there are some opposed to that saying it's too big a gap. The review from last year suggested div 2 be U12, U14.5 & U17.5 but I think junior colts is the critical age group to be the same in both divs. If div 2 senior colts, which is the biggest problem in div 2, is half a year older than div 1 it might help div 2 clubs get players who are not quite ready for senior footy (A, B or C grade).
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby wazzal77 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:46 pm

I like the idea of a slightly different age gap for Div 2 (slightly older) than Div 1 for the reason you mention, it gives Div 1 clubs perhaps opportunity to help more in the Div 2 where possible. It then helps everyone doesnt it? I recall the AFL stipulating - or indicating - that no more than 2 years age gap in the colts area, so maybe this was an issue. So maybe then its U14, U16 and U18. I do hope the league board and clubs work through this in 2015 so that when the finals are over it can just be implemented for 2016. All that is occuring is a a lot of negativity at the moment. Forum users should be wildly discussing the big ins and outs and who is the team to beat at this time of the season
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby cracka » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Legs Man wrote:Thanks Cracka
So if the clubs didn't vote this in how can it be occurring when the clubs make the decision?
Shouldn't another vote be taken with all clubs required to vote due to the anomaly regarding the previous vote taken then made void.
If the clubs weren't aware of the "abstain" ramifications - which we all weren't - doesn't this make the total vote previously null and void.
A new vote seems the most logical solution allowing any grievances to be resolved.

I'm the one that rambles on about the clubs run the league but this has me confused as well.
cracka
Veteran

Postby wazzal77 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Is Bridgewater going to do a Mt Lofty this year in Div 2, or will last years runners up Nairne be in the box seat. I see Kersbrook always appear around the mark. Is it going to be 3 horse race or is there another Div 2 club ready to pounce? Theres been a Div 1 anaylsis which was a great read, how about one for this Div?
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby cracka » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:53 pm

wazzal77 wrote:I like the idea of a slightly different age gap for Div 2 (slightly older) than Div 1 for the reason you mention, it gives Div 1 clubs perhaps opportunity to help more in the Div 2 where possible. It then helps everyone doesnt it? I recall the AFL stipulating - or indicating - that no more than 2 years age gap in the colts area, so maybe this was an issue. So maybe then its U14, U16 and U18. I do hope the league board and clubs work through this in 2015 so that when the finals are over it can just be implemented for 2016. All that is occuring is a a lot of negativity at the moment. Forum users should be wildly discussing the big ins and outs and who is the team to beat at this time of the season

Correct, it's AFL policy of 2 year age Gaps. Their suggestion is play 15 or even 12 a side for leagues that struggle to fill the numbers. Not ideal. Not sure how RFL Independent get away with it but they have 13 year olds playing 17 year olds in their colts comp.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:56 pm

cracka wrote:
Legs Man wrote:Thanks Cracka

I'm the one that rambles on about the clubs run the league but this has me confused as well.

It just seems that the clubs with the big junior numbers in Central are dictating the Country division formulation and being backed in by the HFL.
And it seems regardless of the vote taken which saw S/C playing c grade - with no correspondence being entered into.
I fully understand the need for support and value this from a club that has a hard time gaining junior players but feel the Country div clubs deserve a say in their future.( possibly even separately from the Central clubs)
Is calling another special meeting their only avenue of recourse?
Would like to hear an opinion from a Nairne or Meadows supporter and how they view the situation.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:22 pm

saintal wrote:
cracka wrote:
saintal wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:Uraidla have surprising from back in the 60's fielded a 3rd senior team and now days with the mergers of Ashton, Lenswood & Forest Range and themselves cover a large area. Just surprised they struggle with juniors but not certain if the population has increased much over time.

Uraidla do very little to attract juniors from the Lenswood and Forest Range area to play for their so-called 'local' club. They all play for Lobethal unfortunately, who do a much better job of advertising etc around the area.

A lot of Lenswood locals moved to either Lobethal or Onkas back when they merged with Ashton to form Eastern Rangers. Then when ER merged with Uraidla pretty much no locals ended up at Uraidla.

Correct. Always interesting speaking to a few guys who were involved in the formation of ER and getting their perspective on it.

Hey Saintal can you give some more details on the various perspectives, would like to hear more.
Also can any one give their or others perspectives on the Bridgewater/Callington formation?
Even the Pleasant Valley/ Mt Torrens or earlier yet the old Mt Torrens/Sedan Cambrai.
Not trying to stir any shit, just interested in any history regards footy in the Hills.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby doubletrouble » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:48 pm

wazzal77 wrote:Is Bridgewater going to do a Mt Lofty this year in Div 2, or will last years runners up Nairne be in the box seat. I see Kersbrook always appear around the mark. Is it going to be 3 horse race or is there another Div 2 club ready to pounce? Theres been a Div 1 anaylsis which was a great read, how about one for this Div?

I think Bridgewater will do just fine in div 2. They did have a few close games and even some wins against some of the central div top sides last year.
doubletrouble
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Toto » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:19 pm

Nairne were quite a young side last year, have some very good local players as well as some good imports this year! I think they are a good chance.
Kersbrook are always there abouts, maccy have some very quality players but lack the depth of the top sides. Will be interesting to see if Bridgewater lose players because of being dropped.
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:06 am

Toto wrote:Nairne were quite a young side last year, have some very good local players as well as some good imports this year! I think they are a good chance.
Kersbrook are always there abouts, maccy have some very quality players but lack the depth of the top sides. Will be interesting to see if Bridgewater lose players because of being dropped.

Bridgey were pretty strong last year in central were much stronger than lofty where when they got relegated, although lofty added a few last year in country. Hopefully there good young players have stayed and if barber gets back on the field after a few horrid years with injury they will be even stronger as hes their most important player in my opinion.
Nairne will be good again, is Harrowfield staying or going back to imps?
Kerbrook picked up 3 handy players and will be improved, also hopefully laube is back playing again and has an injury free year.
Maccy have lost big brad smith i believe and belfield but im sure they have picked up a few.
Meadows havent heard of any pick ups or losses but surely they will be better than last year have a bit of talent just seem a bit lazy.
Gums may be in trouble if hanna has left as im sure some other locals may leave but im sure they would of picked up a few recruits just dont know if they will be any good.
Kangys who knows what they have done but they have some good young talent just need to add some class to the group, will be interesting if wakefield and thorpe continue after helping them significantly in the second half of the year with some experience.
Sedan/cambrai would have done some recruiting and hopefully it makes them very competitive and we dont see them drop off like they did last year.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby doubletrouble » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:14 am

batmanbegins wrote:
Toto wrote:Nairne were quite a young side last year, have some very good local players as well as some good imports this year! I think they are a good chance.

Bridgey were pretty strong last year in central were much stronger than lofty where when they got relegated, although lofty added a few last year in country. Hopefully there good young players have stayed and if barber gets back on the field after a few horrid years with injury they will be even stronger as hes their most important player in my opinion.
Kerbrook picked up 3 handy players and will be improved, also hopefully laube is back playing again and has an injury free year.
Maccy have lost big brad smith i believe and belfield but im sure they have picked up a few.
Meadows havent heard of any pick ups or losses but surely they will be better than last year have a bit of talent just seem a bit lazy.
Gums may be in trouble if hanna has left as im sure some other locals may leave but im sure they would of picked up a few recruits just dont know if they will be any good.
Kangys who knows what they have done but they have some good young talent just need to add some class to the group, will be interesting if wakefield and thorpe continue after helping them significantly in the second half of the year with some experience.
Sedan/cambrai would have done some recruiting and hopefully it makes them very competitive and we dont see them drop off like they did last year.

Have heard that the brookers have lost a few from last year's squad. My money is with Bridgewater this year to set the bar early.
doubletrouble
Rookie

Been liked: 7 times

Postby cracka » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:24 am

batmanbegins wrote:

Birdwood???
cracka
Veteran

Postby Alaska » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:22 am

wazzal77 wrote:I see the problem. Wow so Macclesfield being helped, I hope that lasts for them. So ideally it would be great to find a composite Senior colts side to fill Sedans spot - with Sedan staying in div 2 for this year. I would have thought that maybe with BSR going into recess Sedan may have picked up some younger lads but obviously not, and goes to show that kids play for their town with their mates and are reluctant to go to another town/team. Gumeracha of concern also then, with no senior colts. Parts of Div 2 really isnt looking good for the future is it..

This has been the problem for years clubs go up and down with junior numbers. Ironbank had 2 Junior Colts through to Senior Colts teams 5 to 8 years ago. They played behind Maccy with three of their players added each week; we helped out with Kangarilla and were helped out by Kangarilla and Blackwood.

Watching Country over the years the numbers fluctuate significantly and I have been concerned with both Gums and Macy in recent times with junior numbers. A couple of years ago Echunga were losing juniors to Mt Barker and Hahndorf. Hahndorf have moved into Littlehampton PS and have a lot of the kids from that area to help it only needs one energetic volunteer to change the dynamics.

The issue that Echunga, Mt Lofty, Nairne and Birdwood have had and now Bridgwater have to contend with when the club does not play as a whole on the one day you need a lot of volunteers to make it work and the atmosphere is very different. I have in most seasons had to go to two grounds each Saturday to watch the kids play for the same club.

The HFL says there is not a problem as they refer to the number of Midis following on behind they will strengthen the clubs as they go through. I suggest if you look at the Junior Carnivals that Owen ran ten years ago we had huge numbers then. The attrition rate then is the same now.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby M-train » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:50 am

There is a great atmosphere at "the kennel" this year, there has been a lot of hard work being put in on and off the field. The senior grades started training in November! With plenty on the track, even a number of colts have been out giving it a crack. Andrew mine and mark "funky" mcguiness are losses from last year, however expect some big ins, with players actively contacting the club wanting to be apart of the action. Also half a dozen colts making the step up, and a couple returning from stints in town. I won't elaborate any further until all are confirmed. Things are looking very positive. Expect a battle when you line up against the mighty bulldogs this year, a serious contender to go top .

Go you doggies
M-train
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Loxton

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:14 pm

My bad for missing birdwood Cracka i thought id forgot a team but was getting tired, they will be better this year if they get a decent run with injuries with all there good big guys getting injured last year. Hopefully mcleay has stayed and they have picked up a few as they some good talent and its about time they picked up their game been a disapointing couple of years which in my opinion stems from them picking the wrong coach to replace Krieg a couple years ago but thats just my opinion.

M-train wrote:There is a great atmosphere at "the kennel" this year, there has been a lot of hard work being put in on and off the field. The senior grades started training in November! With plenty on the track, even a number of colts have been out giving it a crack. Andrew mine and mark "funky" mcguiness are losses from last year, however expect some big ins, with players actively contacting the club wanting to be apart of the action. Also half a dozen colts making the step up, and a couple returning from stints in town. I won't elaborate any further until all are confirmed. Things are looking very positive. Expect a battle when you line up against the mighty bulldogs this year, a serious contender to go top .

Go you doggies

Good to hear M-Train always good to see the doggies up and about!
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:18 pm

A couple of South Gawler lads gone up to Birdwood, both played A grade during last year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby cracka » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:
saintal wrote:
cracka wrote:A lot of Lenswood locals moved to either Lobethal or Onkas back when they merged with Ashton to form Eastern Rangers. Then when ER merged with Uraidla pretty much no locals ended up at Uraidla.

Correct. Always interesting speaking to a few guys who were involved in the formation of ER and getting their perspective on it.

Hey Saintal can you give some more details on the various perspectives, would like to hear more.
Also can any one give their or others perspectives on the Bridgewater/Callington formation?
Even the Pleasant Valley/ Mt Torrens or earlier yet the old Mt Torrens/Sedan Cambrai.
Not trying to stir any shit, just interested in any history regards footy in the Hills.

Have you got copies of Peter Lines' books. Absolutely brilliant.
Encyclopedia Of South Australian Country Football Clubs
South Australian Country Football Digest
The History Of Football In The East Murray District
These inspired me to look into the history of football in the Adelaide Hills with a view to writing similar but the amount of research is almost a full time job & I ran out of time in my holidays. Makes me appreciate his work even more.
http://www.safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16853
cracka
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy