Cars

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Re: Cars

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:02 am

Took it up through the hills yesterday, up the freeway to Woodside, Gumeracha, Lobethal, Houghton and loved it.

Torque to burn up the hills, the diesel barely gives off a note of the typical diesel ( expect at start up and low revs ) goes like the clappers when rolling along and you boot it, smooth and quiet, luxury as far as comfort goes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:17 pm

My new wheels.

Lots of stuff still needed to do to it though.
Attachments
64chev3.jpg
64chev3.jpg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
64chev2.jpg
64chev2.jpg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
64chev1.jpg
64chev1.jpg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:56 am

Nice one Gadj!

You looking at historic rego / joining a car club?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:06 pm

Looks cool, LHD?
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:58 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:Looks cool, LHD?

Thanks TMBK, no it's GMH built RHD. 283 auto. Drives like a barge though - hence getting the front end looked at this week. And needs seatbelts! I'd forgotten what it's like not having a seatbelt on!

Booney wrote:Nice one Gadj!

You looking at historic rego / joining a car club?

Hey Booney, thanks for the PM. Joining a club - not yet. I'm time poor but I will get to some of the Chev shows when I can. That's more for networking regarding mechanics, and problem solving with that model.

It's on full SA rego at the moment. Depending on driveability and need I might drop it back to historic rego. Mind you, doesn't historic mean it needs to be 'standard'?

Thanks to the Chev club and Holden clubs of SA, I found out that the original colour scheme was white roof and dark grey body. One day I'd like to take it back to it's original colours.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:16 pm

Yes mate, as it left the factory, although, I've got a feeling LHD > RHD may not be considered a modification that excludes you from this. I'll ask around for you, see what comes of it.

I too, am time poor, rarely get on the cruises that the club has ( mainly because they are Saturday night and who the **** can not have a beer on any given Saturday? :lol: ) and the club I'm in has no requirements to attend x amount to remain a member. Which is great!

Nice for those weekends that you could fill a few hours out cruising. That's how I see mine. ( A bit of an investment also - albeit we know cars are not a real investment, unless rare, held onto, condition etc )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:56 pm

RHD solves a heap of problems for you, and it's still cool! The seatbelt feeling is weird isn't it. Shame about the colour, on my project they put some stupid refrigerator white paint job over the original metallic turquoise colour. So that's on the list of things to do.

I think for club rego it's 'standard' within reason. I think the 'standard' rule was brought in to stop guys claiming historic rego on heavily Rodded vehicles (ie, 32 coupe, with modern running gear). So as long as the modifications are within similar from the period, they are fine. Especially if it's safety upgrades like disks & seatbelts.

The full 'as it left the factory ' only really applies to getting the car certified at Regency if it is left hand drive. Which is a really painful experience (I'm currently trying to get my Plymouth Valiant project up to the point of sending it thru). Please note, some of these rules are completely ridiculous, as it would make a lot of sense to put discs on mine...

Club wise, having an American style car, if you are not looking for a full club experience, just sign up for the Zippel newsletter. It's not a full on club, but it's $15-$20 to join American cruising enthusiasts. You would be able to get a bit of workers networking done via that too.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:01 pm

TMBK, pics mate?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:35 pm

Booney wrote:TMBK, pics mate?

Why not. Still a bit too do before the scary Regency visit, but here it is.

Original colour
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Booney wrote:Yes mate, as it left the factory, although, I've got a feeling LHD > RHD may not be considered a modification that excludes you from this. I'll ask around for you, see what comes of it.

I too, am time poor, rarely get on the cruises that the club has ( mainly because they are Saturday night and who the **** can not have a beer on any given Saturday? :lol: ) and the club I'm in has no requirements to attend x amount to remain a member. Which is great!

Nice for those weekends that you could fill a few hours out cruising. That's how I see mine. ( A bit of an investment also - albeit we know cars are not a real investment, unless rare, held onto, condition etc )

Yep, Saturday nights, unless it's something really special are just not happening! The oldchev mob I got in touch with do cruises from their HQ at Glandore. I'm at Modbury. Again, unless it's something special, I'll just meet them wherever they end up. I was spewing I missed the one at Seaton two weeks ago though. My car was there with the previous owner.

Yep, mine will be a keeper/investment! Shannons said that mine will increase in value each year. I don't intend on parting with it unless I have to. It is an extravagance but one I hope to hold onto for my retirement (mid 2030's!). Here's hoping I make it that far.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:19 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:RHD solves a heap of problems for you, and it's still cool! The seatbelt feeling is weird isn't it. Shame about the colour, on my project they put some stupid refrigerator white paint job over the original metallic turquoise colour. So that's on the list of things to do.

I think for club rego it's 'standard' within reason. I think the 'standard' rule was brought in to stop guys claiming historic rego on heavily Rodded vehicles (ie, 32 coupe, with modern running gear). So as long as the modifications are within similar from the period, they are fine. Especially if it's safety upgrades like disks & seatbelts.

The full 'as it left the factory ' only really applies to getting the car certified at Regency if it is left hand drive. Which is a really painful experience (I'm currently trying to get my Plymouth Valiant project up to the point of sending it thru). Please note, some of these rules are completely ridiculous, as it would make a lot of sense to put discs on mine...

Club wise, having an American style car, if you are not looking for a full club experience, just sign up for the Zippel newsletter. It's not a full on club, but it's $15-$20 to join American cruising enthusiasts. You would be able to get a bit of workers networking done via that too.

That's a nice set of wheels TMBK! I really like it. I agree with your sentiment about the RHD. I was looking at a LHD, exactly the same as my old one in Victoria but I was torn. Torn between leaving it as is, or making it RHD and therefore making it practical but changing it from original. This way I've got the best of both worlds.

From what I've heard, brakes and seat belts are ok as modifications. At the moment I intend on making mine safe, then worrying about the consequences of having it 'modified' later. It's not a daily driver but it's on full rego so I can if and when I want to.

Wednesday I get the steering and suspension looked at in the front - it's sitting WAY too high. Thursday is seatbelts and Monday next week I get the auto electrician in to look at the rear left indicator which doesn't seem to want to work.

I'll have a look at Zippel - thanks for the heads up!
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:21 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
Booney wrote:TMBK, pics mate?

Why not. Still a bit too do before the scary Regency visit, but here it is.

Original colour

LOVE the coupe look and styling! I don't mind the colour contrast with the roof but can absolutely see why you want to take it back to orig.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:37 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
the milky bar kid wrote:RHD solves a heap of problems for you, and it's still cool! The seatbelt feeling is weird isn't it. Shame about the colour, on my project they put some stupid refrigerator white paint job over the original metallic turquoise colour. So that's on the list of things to do.

That's a nice set of wheels TMBK! I really like it. I agree with your sentiment about the RHD. I was looking at a LHD, exactly the same as my old one in Victoria but I was torn. Torn between leaving it as is, or making it RHD and therefore making it practical but changing it from original. This way I've got the best of both worlds.

From what I've heard, brakes and seat belts are ok as modifications. At the moment I intend on making mine safe, then worrying about the consequences of having it 'modified' later. It's not a daily driver but it's on full rego so I can if and when I want to.

Wednesday I get the steering and suspension looked at in the front - it's sitting WAY too high. Thursday is seatbelts and Monday next week I get the auto electrician in to look at the rear left indicator which doesn't seem to want to work.

I'll have a look at Zippel - thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, despite the problems that you have with LHD over here, I'm not going to cut it up. Plus it's not the hardest thing driving on the other side.

Doubt they'll look into your modifications at all unless you have something ridiculously out of place. Safety is the premium & makes complete sense with the modern upgrades available. Gotta get the stance right too, need it looking the part. I'll be a bit sad when I take the blocks out of mine!

Let me know if your auto electrician is any good & reasonably priced! Getting that sorted is on my list.

The only problem with Zippel cruises, they usually run on Saturday nights. However they tend to meet at different locations, quite often starting at areas around you.

Yeah, the contrast is cool, but the paint job is rubbish within a reasonable distance (stupid American's). I think it should have a similar contrast, the original turquoise is a bit lighter than the last photo.

You got some wheels to enter into this discussion Booney?
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby tipper » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:23 pm

unfortunately guys, if you want your cars to be on the historic scheme, they basically cant be modified at all. and as far as i am aware, that includes brakes and suspension :( its only normally where factory parts are no longer available that a suitable period replacement can be allowed

its not regency that you have to convince either, its the car club you join. they inspect it and issue a certificate to state that it meets the requirements, and as the whole club could lose its certification under the historic vehicle scheme (and therefore all the members will lose their historic status) they dont normally bend the rules for anyone.

basically, if you are considering historic reg, approach the car club you have in mind and have a chat to them about it. they will have someone there that is all up to date on the rules and can help you out (if the club is certified as a historic vehicle club with the registrar of motor vehicles). there is also a code of practice available for historic vehicles from here: http://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-t ... d-vehicles
as well as codes of practice for left hand drive vehicles and street rod vehicles. dont get me started on the hipocrisy of historic vehicles having to be stock and street rod vehicles having to be modified for them to be eligible......

anyway, very nice cars anyway guys. whatever you decide to do with them i hope they bring you much happiness :)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby the milky bar kid » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:43 pm

tipper wrote:unfortunately guys, if you want your cars to be on the historic scheme, they basically cant be modified at all. and as far as i am aware, that includes brakes and suspension :( its only normally where factory parts are no longer available that a suitable period replacement can be allowed

its not regency that you have to convince either, its the car club you join. they inspect it and issue a certificate to state that it meets the requirements, and as the whole club could lose its certification under the historic vehicle scheme (and therefore all the members will lose their historic status) they dont normally bend the rules for anyone.

basically, if you are considering historic reg, approach the car club you have in mind and have a chat to them about it. they will have someone there that is all up to date on the rules and can help you out (if the club is certified as a historic vehicle club with the registrar of motor vehicles). there is also a code of practice available for historic vehicles from here: http://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-t ... d-vehicles
as well as codes of practice for left hand drive vehicles and street rod vehicles. dont get me started on the hipocrisy of historic vehicles having to be stock and street rod vehicles having to be modified for them to be eligible......

anyway, very nice cars anyway guys. whatever you decide to do with them i hope they bring you much happiness :)

That's annoying.
I understand why the rules were brought in (to stop excessively rodded vehicles being hidden under historic rego), but it's another ridiculous rule in regards to historic cars being registered in our state. Other states have a common sense approach, sadly ours doesn't. :evil:
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby tipper » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:04 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
tipper wrote:unfortunately guys, if you want your cars to be on the historic scheme, they basically cant be modified at all. and as far as i am aware, that includes brakes and suspension :( its only normally where factory parts are no longer available that a suitable period replacement can be allowed

That's annoying.
I understand why the rules were brought in (to stop excessively rodded vehicles being hidden under historic rego), but it's another ridiculous rule in regards to historic cars being registered in our state. Other states have a common sense approach, sadly ours doesn't. :evil:

there has been pressure recently to intorduce a "street machine" type of category, for those that have a vehicle that is modified and also may not get driven very often, however it has so far been resisted by the transport dept. it was even looked at during the last update of the code of practice that certain mods be allowed for historics, safety things such as the brakes and suspension stuff mentioned here, but even that was knocked on the head.

personally i wouldnt have a problem with allowing either a new category (street machines ?) or allowing greater leeway for historics, but from what i have heard, i wouldnt hold my breath. :(
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks Tipper for that info.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll steer away from the historic rego. I'd love to do it but from my base (where my car is at) I'd be looking at a huge overhaul from bumper to bumper. I drove it tonight and I think it's a 3 spd auto which again is not standard. The door trims are 'new', there are dual exhausts, the list goes on.

I reckon I'll get it back to 'an' original colour, maybe not the grey that was stock (because I don't like it!) and hoot around in it. I love driving it because it's unique and you have to ACTUALLY drive it! I do have to get a radio in it too. I'm thinking of getting this one - what do you guys think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/321438119148?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
gadj1976
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:45 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Thanks Tipper for that info.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll steer away from the historic rego. I'd love to do it but from my base (where my car is at) I'd be looking at a huge overhaul from bumper to bumper. I drove it tonight and I think it's a 3 spd auto which again is not standard. The door trims are 'new', there are dual exhausts, the list goes on.

I reckon I'll get it back to 'an' original colour, maybe not the grey that was stock (because I don't like it!) and hoot around in it. I love driving it because it's unique and you have to ACTUALLY drive it! I do have to get a radio in it too. I'm thinking of getting this one - what do you guys think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/321438119148?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Certainly looks the part!
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm

As I was saying, my car needs work still. It's steering is atrocious.

I dropped it to Pedders today (on recommendation from a Chev expert) and got the front end assessed.

It has NO bushes! They're completely shagged or missing. The springs are all wrong and the shockers are more than likely wrong for the car.

The steering box is over tightened, so it's rail-roading.

All in all, 2500 and it'll feel like a million dollars! I personally think it's worth the money because at the moment it's almost undriveable.

Seat belts are going in tomorrow, auto electrician fixing the rear indicator light Monday.

Does anyone know a front end specialist who can do this type of thing, cheaper than 800 bucks worth of labour?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby tipper » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:57 pm

tipper wrote:
the milky bar kid wrote:

That's annoying.

there has been pressure recently to intorduce a "street machine" type of category, for those that have a vehicle that is modified and also may not get driven very often, however it has so far been resisted by the transport dept. it was even looked at during the last update of the code of practice that certain mods be allowed for historics, safety things such as the brakes and suspension stuff mentioned here, but even that was knocked on the head.

personally i wouldnt have a problem with allowing either a new category (street machines ?) or allowing greater leeway for historics, but from what i have heard, i wouldnt hold my breath. :(

ok, looks like i was wrong (again....)

i just found out that a "modified" vehicle conditional registration type will be introduced this year. no idea on a date, or the exact requirements, but it is being modeled on Victoria's scheme, and will still require membership of an appropriate club. for those interested keep an ear out with your club (car clubs wil lbe consulted) or mates, and im sure it will be publicised somewhere when it gets closer. ill also post back here if i hear any more detail.

maybe some good news for a change. :)
tipper
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport