14%
Salisbury West
9%
St. Pauls
7%

Total votes : 56

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

Postby morell » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 pm

jo172 wrote:Also, it's not like moving back to the C Grades is necessarily fatal. Smithfield, North Pines and West Croydon have all bounced back quite successfully.
Hmph, well there you go, I didn't know about these. I know CLG spent a year in the C's but I thought they were the only ones.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby marbles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:09 pm

jo172 wrote:
marbles wrote:but considering the SAAFL keeping using CGraders to keep their bottom placed Agrade clubs alive in div 7, they consequently see a falling participation rate where CGraders cant be f##ked playing AGraders and as youve seen in the last 1.5 years the league has lost dgrade sides from

Broadview
TTG
Sacred Heart
Flinders Park
Salisbury (didnt face agraders)
and now possibly henley

the SAAFL structure must be changed cos its pushing players away and in business when customers are walking away, youve got a problem

That would make sense, except for:

ROCS
TTG
PNU
PACOC (up to a 5th and 6th side)
Hope Valley
Old Ignatians
Unley

all expanding sides in the past 12 months.

your evidence would be thrown out in court :D - no side above has been infected by playing these agrade northern suburb #&#%#%$$#&&@s :D
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby morell » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Glad you're not including us marby :heart: :heart: :heart:
morell
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:39 pm

What is the motivation around excluding clubs that only field one team, has the SAAFL become that elitist these days?
What is the reason to force the Wingfield Royals FC to wind up?
Surely the minimum 2 teams rule is a larger barrier to new start-ups?

Why not make Division 8 an A-Grade division without a reserves comp attached? Place any club that cannot provide a B-Grade in it and then fill the gaps with the stronger C-Grade teams, then start your C-Grade divisions below it.
What is currently Division 8 could be C1 & C1 Reserves (or C1/C2 for that matter) and then continue with the single C divisions below it. The stronger C/D clubs could still fill the gaps in the Division 7 until that either fills up or falls over.

Yes, I do believe there are too many clubs in Adelaide, however to handle it this way just seems all wrong. Surely there is a place for single team clubs in our sport, the first 100 years of our game was based around that.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Pag » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:16 pm

I'd just like to add to this conversation that Salisbury were not short on numbers for a D-Grade this year, we've chosen not to field one for our own internal reasons. The idea of playing against other clubs A Grades had no factor in the decision the club made whatsoever.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby marbles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Pag wrote:I'd just like to add to this conversation that Salisbury were not short on numbers for a D-Grade this year, we've chosen not to field one for our own internal reasons. The idea of playing against other clubs A Grades had no factor in the decision the club made whatsoever.

Another witness that would be thrown out in court :)

Salisbury are a club yet to be infected by having their cgrades play agrades. :)

Your contribution is however noted. Thankyou. :)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby finn » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Q. wrote:
morell wrote:Exactly what I said before finn. Why not put SW in with us?

Because why should D7 be where one team clubs have their year of grace?

Div 7 is the grade where the lowest a grade sides play. My understanding of the c1-4 divisions is that they are so named as they contain c grade sides of higher grade teams.
My belief is that the lowest majority a grade division is where the one year's grace should be served to reflect the fact that the club involved is still fielding an a grade side.
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Mr Onions » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:49 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:What is the motivation around excluding clubs that only field one team, has the SAAFL become that elitist these days?

Why not make Division 8 an A-Grade division without a reserves comp attached? Place any club that cannot provide a B-Grade in it and then fill the gaps with the stronger C-Grade teams, then start your C-Grade divisions below it.
What is currently Division 8 could be C1 & C1 Reserves (or C1/C2 for that matter) and then continue with the single C divisions below it. The stronger C/D clubs could still fill the gaps in the Division 7 until that either fills up or falls over.

Yes, I do believe there are too many clubs in Adelaide, however to handle it this way just seems all wrong. Surely there is a place for single team clubs in our sport, the first 100 years of our game was based around that.

I am sure that the same would apply in the SFL. I cant see Christies being allowed to field only one team if they fell on hard times
Mr Onions
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby G_Leonard » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:09 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
marbles wrote:
of course mate, we've had a dgrade for 30 years and its in our best interests to field it for a 31st year and considering also that theyre back to back premiers

but considering the SAAFL keeping using CGraders to keep their bottom placed Agrade clubs alive in div 7, they consequently see a falling participation rate where CGraders cant be f##ked playing AGraders and as youve seen in the last 1.5 years the league has lost dgrade sides from

Broadview
TTG
Sacred Heart
Flinders Park
Salisbury (didnt face agraders)
and now possibly henley

the SAAFL structure must be changed cos its pushing players away and in business when customers are walking away, youve got a problem

Whilst I agree there is some merit behind a C grade only, the difference between a quality C grade & a lower grade A grade is usually going to be minimal & will result in an even competition. This was not a problem when your C grade sides were beating A grade sides in Grand Finals...

How many clubs have gone the other way & increased to a D grade over the last 2 years?

PAOC
PNU
ROC
TTG (extra team returned)
North Haven?
Old Ignations?
Hope Valley?

So how can you say that this is such a problem?

Most of Henley's problems, appears to be a combination of
1. Failing to stop B graders/Fringe A graders being lured away from the club
2. Not attracting enough new players to fill the void of those leaving
3. Weak minded individuals in the lower grades who aren't willing to go out & have a kick with their mates unless they are going to win

These reasons plus the one of subs as mentioned by Q all contribute to where Henley has found themselves the last few seasons. Culminating in a bad attitude as exemplified by Marbles' verbal diarrhea. Sandbagging, and poor performances in the C's.

Henley C's experienced a fair bit of success while they had player coaches, and was made up of mostly a group of friends (most of whom could play) around the same age who had been at the club for a considerable amount of years. As these players got older, stopped playing or were no longer up to playing D7 or D6 the side slowly got worse and worse. The appointment of divisive coaches from outside of the club have also contributed, as some players found themselves not enjoying the coaching styles and attitudes of these coaches.

Sad to see how poor their performances have been in the past few seasons as they were the SAAFL bench mark for C grades only a few years ago.
G_Leonard
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Sedan-Cambrai

Postby morell » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:16 pm

zing!

Cop that marby
morell
Coach

Postby Yank Man » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:29 pm

jo172 wrote:
S Demon wrote:
marbles wrote:none of the new clubs youve mentioned with new dgrade sides are yet to face an agrade unit in div 7, theyre are all division 8 teams having glorious wonderful times on equal playing fields, their men havent been infected with the AGrade vs CGrade virus

It felt like A grade v C Gradewhen we played GG ands PAOC :(

We've had quite a few players over the years from our B/C grade go to Houghton and play A grade in Div 7. Just because they are playing A grade, doesn't necessarily make them A graders. That is where your argument is flawed IMO

I'm a bit surprised PAC didn't nominate for Div 7 with the depth of their D and E Grades considered. Particularly when from all reports they're fielding a 6th side this year.

It's obviously their prerogative, but I would have thought they could have dealt with the standard quite successfully

Which begs the question. If we have a comp that goes to Div 8 and Div 8 reserves then why isn't the promotion and relegation system going to Div 8 as well. You play in a grand final in Div 8 and the next year you nominate 2 teams then you should automatically be promoted. After all there are plenty of C grade teams in Div 7, some of which I'm sure would love the choice to go back.
I reckon it's a better way to make the lower Divisions more equal.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 322 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Old Dog New Tricks » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:

I'm not having a jab but if there are too many clubs and some have to go for rationalisation purposes, how else should it be done. My own club has probably got 3 years. We have no juniors and I'm objective enough to know that shifting demographics and an APPS that doesn't allow rejuvenation by recruiting will mean the end. Reality is we've been circling the drain for a few years anyway
Last edited by Old Dog New Tricks on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old Dog New Tricks
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Q. » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:36 pm

marbles wrote:now i played a lot of Div 1 Agrade in my 20s, but now as a 35 year old CGrader you really think me and my fellow mates can be f##ked facing paid semi-professional footballers?

It's time for you to play D7R and leave D7 for spritely young lads like myself.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:41 pm

Mr Onions wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:What is the motivation around excluding clubs that only field one team, has the SAAFL become that elitist these days?

I am sure that the same would apply in the SFL. I cant see Christies being allowed to field only one team if they fell on hard times

It did happen in about 2002 or 2003. Hackham fielded one senior side in the c-grade and a composite under 14's from memory. Today they fill sides in almost of every grade from under 8's through to A's.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby morell » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:48 pm

Old Dog New Tricks wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:

I'm not having a jab but if there are too many clubs and some have to go for rationalisation purposes, how else should it be done. My own club has probably got 3 years. We have no juniors and I'm objective enough to know that shifting demographics and an APPS that doesn't allow rejuvenation by recruiting will mean the end. Reality is we've been circling the drain for a few years anyway

You see I don't think there are too many clubs if everyone only takes their fair share of players. I can't understand clubs having 4, 5, 6, 7 sides and others having 1.

Limit clubs to 3 teams maybe, perhaps that might drive a few to try other clubs and the player stocks distribute more evenly.

My fear is one day we will have Adelaide Uni Blue Vs Adelaide Uni Red and PAC Gold Vs PAC Green
morell
Coach

Postby marbles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:11 pm

Q. wrote:
marbles wrote:now i played a lot of Div 1 Agrade in my 20s, but now as a 35 year old CGrader you really think me and my fellow mates can be f##ked facing paid semi-professional footballers?

It's time for you to play D7R and leave D7 for spritely young lads like myself.

yea anything to give u more ammo to call us sand baggers again :D
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby marbles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:27 pm

Let it now be known that every C & D Grade Club that has ever entered the Division 7 have now all officially lost their D-Grade side as a result

(excluding Adelaide Uni & Modbury who have a minimum of 5 sides)

and thats all in the past 24 months

Smosh are quickly running back to div 8 asap with their tail between legs to save themselves
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Yank Man » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:10 am

marbles wrote:Let it now be known that every C & D Grade Club that has ever entered the Division 7 have now all officially lost their D-Grade side as a result

Smosh are quickly running back to div 8 asap with their tail between legs to save themselves

Adelaide Uni, Paoc, Rocs Unley Mercedes are all going great guns. Probably have 10 teams soon. What does tell you marbles. Maybe go to college and get an education. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 322 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:53 am

marbles wrote:Let it now be known that every C & D Grade Club that has ever entered the Division 7 have now all officially lost their D-Grade side as a result

How many C or D grades not involved in D7 have been lost in the last 24 months?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby marbles » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:17 am

Q. wrote:

How many C or D grades not involved in D7 have been lost in the last 24 months?

Well seems like every other 4 team club whos never been near div 7 is flourishing as mentioned by earlier posters
And salisbury shut their Ds down for other reasons not related to numbers as mentioned by salisbury poster himself

U chuck your 4 team club into div 7 then your club will have a participation rate virus on your hands and 25% of your club players are eventually gonna wanna say bye byes

Rocs you still keen for div 7?
marbles
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League