3%
Salisbury
12%
Westminster OS
12%

Total votes : 98

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 4 - 2015

Postby Boosh » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:02 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I think its also easy to forget the damage that going up a division last minute can have in the medium term. Kilburn is the obvious one back some years ago and I remember us around the early 2000's getting a last minute lifeline to stay in the division above. Set the club back 3 years after getting slammed 14/18 games and not winning a game. In fact I can only remember 2 clubs in modern history that it has worked out really well for and they both played in the div 6 GF and lost. If you stayed in the division above and survived you would think that staying in the division below that you would be a fair shot at making the 5 and to me that creates a better platform for future success.

The system works and in most cases you are correct but 4 or 5 years ago North Haven finished 9th in Division 5 after a horrendous coaching appointment the year prior in Div 4. We got a deprive due to Smithfield dropping out in about January I think. We finished 4th that year and would have played a prelim if our forwards kicked straight.

That is an exception to the rule though.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Boosh » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:10 pm

G_Leonard wrote:Am hearing that North Haven have some great numbers at training this year, hopefully for them this finally filters down to their lower grades which havn't quite had the on field success they probably should have in the last couple of seasons. Good signs as they approach their first campaign in D4 for a while. I know they have recruited well but have they picked up any forwards to replace T Lipson?

Good effort considering a fair few players from last year are having a sook and not playing as they think their spot has been taken by the new recruits. Wouldn't phase the club too much though I wouldn't have thought, most of these are the lazy type who dont train and whinge all year anyway.

Numbers around 60 but we have four sides so we need those numbers!

A Grade are training on their own now which is a big bonus. Have recruited a few which is no secret but no replacement for Tommy unfortunately, if he was fit all season would kick 100, also Mattner is suspended for 8 games. Reed is going to have a tough job on his own but forwards are hard to come by and we certainly tried.

Some of our group have decided not to play A Grade this season due to a harder training regime and hectic social calendars, but I wouldn't call them sooks. It is symbolic of most of the U/21 age group these days, it is a waste of a talent but they are good lads and if they play a lower grade we will be thrilled to have them.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Postby Demon Juke » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Boosh wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:I think its also easy to forget the damage that going up a division last minute can have in the medium term. Kilburn is the obvious one back some years ago and I remember us around the early 2000's getting a last minute lifeline to stay in the division above. Set the club back 3 years after getting slammed 14/18 games and not winning a game. In fact I can only remember 2 clubs in modern history that it has worked out really well for and they both played in the div 6 GF and lost. If you stayed in the division above and survived you would think that staying in the division below that you would be a fair shot at making the 5 and to me that creates a better platform for future success.

The system works and in most cases you are correct but 4 or 5 years ago North Haven finished 9th in Division 5 after a horrendous coaching appointment the year prior in Div 4. We got a deprive due to Smithfield dropping out in about January I think. We finished 4th that year and would have played a prelim if our forwards kicked straight.

Who was the coach?
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Boosh » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:35 pm

Demon Juke wrote:
Boosh wrote:

Who was the coach?

Shane O'Dey, one weird unit.

Have many funny stories from that time I will gladly share when we play during the year.

You couldn't make this stuff up.
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:56 am

I wasnt having a crack at anyone, so dont take it that way. I get Salisbury's predicament, ive been there having seasons little success, just being competitive would be something to look forward too.. It was only because my club a couple of divisions below are the ones who would be coming up i the merry go round and our lads voted unanimously to stay up a div despite the prospect of another tough season rather than dropping down and potentially making finals.. I was only going by that decision to see if any other club was thinking that way.. Clearly not
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Pag » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:35 am

human_torpedo wrote:I wasnt having a crack at anyone, so dont take it that way. I get Salisbury's predicament, ive been there having seasons little success, just being competitive would be something to look forward too.. It was only because my club a couple of divisions below are the ones who would be coming up i the merry go round and our lads voted unanimously to stay up a div despite the prospect of another tough season rather than dropping down and potentially making finals.. I was only going by that decision to see if any other club was thinking that way.. Clearly not

I didn't take it as having a crack mate, just explained our reasoning. Like I said, we had the same opportunity after finishing 9th in Div 3 when Edwardstown left, we took the opportunity up, got belted, ran at a financial loss for the year (morale low, bar, canteen and meals down, higher calls than Div 4 etc). We are in the same position now and we feel we're learning from a mistake we made last time. There is no right and wrong call, it is different for each club depending on finances, player comings/goings etc. I commend Glenunga for having a go last year and for any other club taking up the challenge, it just won't be us this time around.
Last edited by Pag on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:41 am

Pag wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:I wasnt having a crack at anyone, so dont take it that way. I get Salisbury's predicament, ive been there having seasons little success, just being competitive would be something to look forward too.. It was only because my club a couple of divisions below are the ones who would be coming up i the merry go round and our lads voted unanimously to stay up a div despite the prospect of another tough season rather than dropping down and potentially making finals.. I was only going by that decision to see if any other club was thinking that way.. Clearly not

I didn't take it as having a crack mate, just explained our reasoning. Like I said, we had the same opportunity after finishing 9th in Div 3 when Edwardstown left, we took the opportunity up, got belted, ran at a financial loss for the year (moral low, bar, canteen and meals down, higher calls than Div 4 etc). We are in the same position now and we feel we're learning from a mistake we made last time. There is no right and wrong call, it is different for each club depending on finances, player comings/goings etc. I commend Glenunga for having a go last year and for any other club taking up the challenge, it just won't be us this time around.

I hope you're morals have improved since then
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Pag » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:53 am

We're full of morals out north.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:45 am

Pag - Completely agree mate, and understand every club is different, and you cant blame your club for taking that option.. It seems like the timing just isnt great this year, with the gap between div 3 and 4 probably being the widest in the comp it would appear. And no club should put themselves up a div to be lambs to the slaughter, its not good for anyone.. In other years their may have been clubs lining up to go up, but perhaps just not this year
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 371 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:55 am

going by the north haven list looks good on paper guess if they do well in div 4 the coach could be poached next season for bigger dollars to another club would be interesting then to see what happens

that would be my only concern if i was at north haven even though its early to make these sort of calls but if the coach gets poached how many of the new recruits walk or move on and could we see another kilburn,salisbury west,brahma in the making
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Boosh » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Anything is possible Robb, the recruits from SW and PD came based on him being coach if he left suddenly it may affect where they play.

The coach being a life member, his son an assistant and his other two sons playing A and B Grade gives us some insurance but he has coached Portland in the past so you never know.
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Postby Undercover agent » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Bryan "bearded" Gatto also on the move from Epfc back to Brahma I'm hearing .should get a few kicks in div 6
Undercover agent

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby G_Leonard » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Boosh wrote:
G_Leonard wrote:Am hearing that North Haven have some great numbers at training this year, hopefully for them this finally filters down to their lower grades which havn't quite had the on field success they probably should have in the last couple of seasons. Good signs as they approach their first campaign in D4 for a while. I know they have recruited well but have they picked up any forwards to replace T Lipson?

Good effort considering a fair few players from last year are having a sook and not playing as they think their spot has been taken by the new recruits. Wouldn't phase the club too much though I wouldn't have thought, most of these are the lazy type who dont train and whinge all year anyway.

Numbers around 60 but we have four sides so we need those numbers!

A Grade are training on their own now which is a big bonus. Have recruited a few which is no secret but no replacement for Tommy unfortunately, if he was fit all season would kick 100, also Mattner is suspended for 8 games. Reed is going to have a tough job on his own but forwards are hard to come by and we certainly tried.

Some of our group have decided not to play A Grade this season due to a harder training regime and hectic social calendars, but I wouldn't call them sooks. It is symbolic of most of the U/21 age group these days, it is a waste of a talent but they are good lads and if they play a lower grade we will be thrilled to have them.

Good answer Boosh, very diplomatic of you.
For the sake of your club I hope that they do play lower grades for you. Seem to be good lads and handy footballers.
Is Mooney a chance of switching ends and becoming a power forward? May be the only thing you're missing atm. Will be interesting to see how you shape up in trials.
G_Leonard
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Sedan-Cambrai

Postby youngblood » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:18 pm

From reports, the boys from SW and PD that went to north haven this year, have fitted in perfectly and are loving the club which is a good sign for them at the moment, reeds going to have a tough first 7-8 rounds be interesting to see if NH have any depth
youngblood
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: North Whyalla

Postby easy TIGA » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm

youngblood wrote:From reports, the boys from SW and PD that went to north haven this year, have fitted in perfectly and are loving the club which is a good sign for them at the moment, reeds going to have a tough first 7-8 rounds be interesting to see if NH have any depth

As long as they get paid,all should be rosey.
easy TIGA
Under 16s

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Boosh » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:50 am

easy TIGA wrote:
youngblood wrote:From reports, the boys from SW and PD that went to north haven this year, have fitted in perfectly and are loving the club which is a good sign for them at the moment, reeds going to have a tough first 7-8 rounds be interesting to see if NH have any depth

As long as they get paid,all should be rosey.

Well if you agree a CFL contract you should be paying, simple as that.
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Postby superboot7 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:34 am

I reckon the Havery have a few options up their sleeve up forward. I've seen some pretty powerful units on the track who may be pinched up forward for 8 weeks that could be a handful.

Throwing a cat amongst the pigeons..... Aaron buggy burridge is not slouch up forward!
superboot7
Under 16s

Been liked: 16 times

Postby S Demon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:47 am

Anyone heard how Westminster are looking this year? Looking forward to reigniting our rivalry with them. We've had some epic battles over the years. Always a tough game against WOS..
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby scottroo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:47 am

They tried to recruit some of our boys and believe had a list of about 25 they were targeting- however I think a couple are off overseas
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lance's brother » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:48 am

S Demon wrote:Anyone heard how Westminster are looking this year? Looking forward to reigniting our rivalry with them. We've had some epic battles over the years. Always a tough game against WOS..

We're looking good.
Lance's brother
Under 18s

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League