"State League" players to top for AFL Nab flog challenge

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Re:

Postby tkr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:22 am

kickinit wrote:I think what everyone is forgetting or doesn't know, is that Essendon think they are bigger then the AFL itself. You only have to look how they have dealt with the drugs issue to see it and look at the golden boy Hird.

The reason why the AFL wants them to pick players who have played AFL in the last 2 years is because if this spills into the proper season, Essendon are allowed to sign players who have played AFL in the last 2 years but have not been drafted again. The AFL could of allowed them to tai players from the VFL and come season time take these players anyway. I think it's better to do it now then a day before the start of the season. At least it gives the clubs some time to restructure find some sort of replacement (even if it is to top up the reserves) before the start of season. The problem that the SANFL clubs have is that these players more then likely have a clause in their contract to leave if resigned in the AFL.

I have no sympathy for Essendon and think the club is a absolute disgrace. My view is if the club hasn't got enough players to play then they forfeit, if they haven't got enough for the year then they are out of the comp. But the AFL is a business and a large chunk of it's income is from the tv rights deal, which must have Essendon playing. The AFL was always going to look after Essendon when it come down to them losing income, like any business/club would do.

Yeah agree same as I think if a club has to keep borrowing money year after year this is also a disgrace and they should be kicked out of the comp! ;)
tkr
Rookie

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:57 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:
Wedgie wrote:The AFL actually have a lesser hold on the SANFL now than a year ago, since the SANFL paid back the Ten Million it loaned for the Port basket case from the AFL. Word has it the AFL weren't keen for the SANFL to pay it back so they could have more power over the SANFL.

Lol . Who said this ? Forget the 10 mill debt ,IF true should have always been the case. Sounds like north talk. Has north told the AFL what they think ?

Interpretation needed, I'm way too logical to make heads or tails out of what you're trying to say.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Wedgie wrote:The AFL actually have a lesser hold on the SANFL now than a year ago, since the SANFL paid back the Ten Million it loaned for the Port basket case from the AFL. Word has it the AFL weren't keen for the SANFL to pay it back so they could have more power over the SANFL.

Lol . Who said this ? Forget the 10 mill debt ,IF true should have always been the case. Sounds like north talk. Has north told the AFL what they think ?

Interpretation needed, I'm way too logical to make heads or tails out of what you're trying to say.

That its Tony Abbotts fault ;)
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Sorry , must type slower ;)

Who said the AFL have lesser hold now. Why have they had a hold as the 10 mill was a reasonably recent debt. So the obvious question is why have they had such a hold.

It was mentioned at Norths AGM that the SANFL will focus more on the SANFL than AFL . Will this happen or just North talking.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby kickinit » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Who said the AFL have lesser hold now. Why have they had a hold as the 10 mill was a reasonably recent debt. So the obvious question is why have they had such a hold.

It was mentioned at Norths AGM that the SANFL will focus more on the SANFL than AFL . Will this happen or just North talking.

Well you would hope the SANFL was more focused on the SANFl than AFL. They don't hold the licenses anymore and they don't own the stadium they use anymore.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Cheers, that I understood!
They'll have a lesser hold (not no hold) because they can't hold the ten mill over the SANFLs head, and who knows if it will happen or not but it does sound more promising than the last regime
Wedgie
Site Admin

Re: "State League" players to top for AFL Nab flog challenge

Postby the joker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Apparently the Eagles aren't expecting petrenko back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re:

Postby Rising Power » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:28 pm

the joker wrote:Apparently the Eagles aren't expecting petrenko back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if he doesn't continue with them once the season proper starts it would be understandable for him to be happy to play the year out in their VFL team
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Re:

Postby PhilH » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:56 pm

Not sure about that ... here is the Eagles statement this morning.

Petrenko Update
26/02/2015 ·

The WWTFC can confirm that Jared Petrenko will join Essendon today on a short term contract and be used as a ‘Top up player’ during the AFL NAB Cup.

The WWTFC and Essendon reached an agreement yesterday in which the terms and conditions of the contract provide both Petrenko and the Eagles sufficient security.

At the conclusion of the NAB Cup period the Eagles, Jared and Essendon will discuss the potential of Jared remaining at Essendon during the AFL regular season if he is required.

Football Manager Trent Hentschel said “It’s certainly not ideal from a timing perspective to be without a player of Jared’s quality at this time of the year even if it might only be for 3 weeks. In saying that we understand Jared’s decision and we are comfortable with the terms and conditions surrounding the agreement. With so much uncertainty surrounding the futures of the Essendon players it is very difficult to forecast or plan Jared’s position beyond the NAB Cup period so we will cross that bridge towards the back end of the NAB Cup. As it currently stands if Jared is not selected by Essendon for a match he will be available for selection for the Eagles.”
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Re:

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Dunno Phil, that release has me believe what Rising Power said before even more. Didn't think it would happen but now think its a big possibility.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Re:

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:14 am

You can only assume Petrenko believes what Essendon are telling him re : opportunities going forward.

More fool him. Who'd believe anything they say?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Scrapboy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:40 am

Booney wrote:You can only assume Petrenko believes what Essendon are telling him re : opportunities going forward.

I reckon all they had to say to get him to sign up was that he could show off his rehearsed post-goal celebrations to a larger audience ;)

Seriously though, from a player point of view they would see ANY chance of an opportunity as better than none at all. I still think that having a solid year at SANFL level would provide just as much hope as plugging away for the AFL reserves side. As for believing whatever it is Essendon are selling...
Scrapboy

Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: "State League" players to top for AFL Nab flog challenge

Postby Jim05 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:16 am

Booney wrote:You can only assume Petrenko believes what Essendon are telling him re : opportunities going forward.

I dont think there has been any promises.
He was asked if he would like to stay around in the VFL and if he went ok they would look at him seasons end just like everyone else. The reality is with the draft its more than likely if he has a good season he will be be picked up by someone else.
Would of thought he would of got the same opportunities playing SANFL though so I find it bizarre if true
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Rising Power » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:24 am

Scrapboy wrote:

I reckon all they had to say to get him to sign up was that he could show off his rehearsed post-goal celebrations to a larger audience ;)

Seriously though, from a player point of view they would see ANY chance of an opportunity as better than none at all. I still think that having a solid year at SANFL level would provide just as much hope as plugging away for the AFL reserves side. As for believing whatever it is Essendon are selling...

Yes but he would be plugging away within Essendon's system, playing to their game plan and developing familiarity (football-wise) with the AFL listed players. It would prove a big advantage for Petrenko if the Bombers are seriously looking at drafting him next year and who could blame him if he takes up an offer to stay in Melbourne. Whether that would be allowed or not under transfer/clearance rules or any other agreement between the clubs and leagues is another thing. It would certainly be a boost for the SANFL if he had to stay in Adelaide though.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Re:

Postby Reddeer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:17 pm

AS usual the AFL make new rules up as they go (to suit themselves) and get what THEY want, no one else
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Re:

Postby holden78 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:31 pm

I would laugh if he got injured
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Re:

Postby Ingorudi » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:35 pm

I think Carmichael hunt would fit in well at bomber land.
Ingorudi
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 am

holden78 wrote:I would laugh if he got injured

why would you laugh if someone got injured?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Re:

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:06 pm

Why would the Eagles want Petrenko back anyway? He has decided to leave them, that's his choice but the club should just move on without him.

Godden is probably looking at getting some players from South anyway so I'm sure it will work out......
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:15 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
holden78 wrote:I would laugh if he got injured

why would you laugh if someone got injured?

I laugh all the time when myself or mates get injured.
Not to mention watching Jackass.
Its a man thing.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL