Barossa & Light Cricket 2014/15.

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Barossa & Light Cricket 2014/15.

Postby Paid cricketer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:04 pm

Long time reader, first time poster.
I've sat and read this forum for years and finally a few half wits have forced me into being on here, With some stupid posts.
I look forward to expressing my opinions on certain topics and people.
Paid cricketer
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Nuriootpa

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:45 am

Well...
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:53 am

Paid cricketer wrote:Long time reader, first time poster.
I've sat and read this forum for years and finally a few half wits have forced me into being on here, With some stupid posts.
I look forward to expressing my opinions on certain topics and people.

Should fit in well then son!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby all rounder » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:25 pm

last round what's everyone thinking, predictions.
all rounder
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Bordertown

Postby Red Rocket » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:10 pm

Heard the qualification for finals has decreased.
Execs cop a bit of flak but reckon they have got this one right, sensible call.
As for the final round think Ango can get up in a tight one, quite possibly a preview for the big one, these two look the best two sides in the comp.
South to celebrate staying up in style by beating Sandy, seem to have the wood on them the last few years and Sandy looks a bit light on with the bat.
The other two games will have players checking scores regularly with ramifications for finals and relegation, think Kapunda will get the job done against Centrals and secure a finals berth, reckon GV might pull of an upset and send GC down.
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:46 am

If the final two rounds don't get rained out there will still be 14 weeks of cricket and 5 weeks called off. If you can't qualify for your A grade playing 6/14 then you shouldn't be playing. Maybe fair enough in the A4/5 but other than that I think it's stupid.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Red Rocket » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:58 am

bennymacca wrote:If the final two rounds don't get rained out there will still be 14 weeks of cricket and 5 weeks called off. If you can't qualify for your A grade playing 6/14 then you shouldn't be playing. Maybe fair enough in the A4/5 but other than that I think it's stupid.

Geez Benny you really do have a beef with person/s on the exec, seems as though you whack them no matter what they do. Id say 90% of the comp is happy with the rule, we have lost a quarter of our days to weather, seems sensible to reduce the qualification by a quarter. It is still only country social cricket at the end of the day, there are a number of factors why guys cant play a full season and we should be encouraging guys to play not turn them away. I personally know of two young lads from differant clubs that were unavailable before the new year, one because of work and one that moved into the area from interstate, just unfortunate that the majority of lost days have been since Christmas
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:45 am

I just find it funny that the rule was changed a couple of years ago so that you didn't submit a team sheet anymore and those games don't count, and now they are weakening it back off again, the round before finals. Not for next year, for now.

So will this become a regular thing in seasons going forward? We missed almost as many weeks last year.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Useless » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:00 pm

Red Rocket wrote:
bennymacca wrote:If the final two rounds don't get rained out there will still be 14 weeks of cricket and 5 weeks called off. If you can't qualify for your A grade playing 6/14 then you shouldn't be playing. Maybe fair enough in the A4/5 but other than that I think it's stupid.

Geez Benny you really do have a beef with person/s on the exec, seems as though you whack them no matter what they do. Id say 90% of the comp is happy with the rule, we have lost a quarter of our days to weather, seems sensible to reduce the qualification by a quarter. It is still only country social cricket at the end of the day, there are a number of factors why guys cant play a full season and we should be encouraging guys to play not turn them away. I personally know of two young lads from differant clubs that were unavailable before the new year, one because of work and one that moved into the area from interstate, just unfortunate that the majority of lost days have been since Christmas

I agree with benny to some degree, seems odd that at the association meeting it was clearly stated that there is enough weeks in the year to qualify so teams/clubs have to deal with it. then one game from finals they change the rule. Surely if you havent played 4 weeks throughout the whole season to this point you shouldn't be able to play.

But also agree with benny lost a very similar amount of games last year and there was no calls there.

I know Sandy 1s will benefit from this, I heard last night maybe ango A1s as well. Not sure if any other teams in the A1s have anyone close.

I am sure alot of lower grades will get a couple more blokes through.

But she is done now so can change it.
Useless

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Slowey » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:20 pm

bennymacca wrote:I just find it funny that the rule was changed a couple of years ago so that you didn't submit a team sheet anymore and those games don't count, and now they are weakening it back off again, the round before finals. Not for next year, for now.

So will this become a regular thing in seasons going forward? We missed almost as many weeks last year.

We did miss games last year you are right, not sure we missed as many. I think the turf teams last year missed a lot more than hard wicket teams.
I like that the committee has got on the front foot and I think they have got this one right.
Slowey

Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Extractor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Definitely the right decision from the Exec. I don't think there has been a season where so many days have been lost so late in the season. Don't forget there are byes in a lot of grades too so depending on where they fell for your club it could have resulted in very little cricket so far since Christmas...
Extractor
Under 16s

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Extractor wrote:Definitely the right decision from the Exec. I don't think there has been a season where so many days have been lost so late in the season. Don't forget there are byes in a lot of grades too so depending on where they fell for your club it could have resulted in very little cricket so far since Christmas...

i might be wrong, but as far as i can tell, there was at least 4 days that were affected last year for the A1s, and 3 for lower grades - three because of heat (one of those was the A1 one day final so only affects two teams), and one because of rain, where the rain came halfway through the game.

so yeah still less, but not insignificant.

Something like this should be set in stone - even if that means if you miss x days, then qualification becomes y etc.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Extractor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Extractor wrote:Definitely the right decision from the Exec. I don't think there has been a season where so many days have been lost so late in the season. Don't forget there are byes in a lot of grades too so depending on where they fell for your club it could have resulted in very little cricket so far since Christmas...

i might be wrong, but as far as i can tell, there was at least 4 days that were affected last year for the A1s, and 3 for lower grades - three because of heat (one of those was the A1 one day final so only affects two teams), and one because of rain, where the rain came halfway through the game.

so yeah still less, but not insignificant.

Something like this should be set in stone - even if that means if you miss x days, then qualification becomes y etc.

If the game is called off without a ball bowled on day two due to rain, it still counts for qualification.

And the one-day final doesn't come into it I'm afraid. Let's be honest if a club has made the one-day final they would previously have had one extra match (the semi final) in which to qualify players and with the abolition of the one-day semis it now it just leaves those clubs even with all the others that didn't make it.
Extractor
Under 16s

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:37 pm

Didnt have byes last year so there is an extra 3 days gone of the 21 available. Qualification at start of season is around one third of days available, moving to 5 days still remains at approximately one third. It's not a major decision, just common sense, no other qualification rules have changed which are far more important.
Smart move by the exec, requests were starting to come in informally all along the same lines of not enough days to qualify because of inclement weather. Now clubs wont have to submit permit requests and exec wont have to adjudicate.

I dont know any A graders that it would benefit, most play 80% of the season. It may not benefit anyone at all to be honest but there probably is some lower grade players that may now qualify. Potentially in A4 your team may have only played 12 games for the season. That is the main reason it was changed, even 4 days may have been more appropriate for this grade.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Useless wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:

I agree with benny to some degree, seems odd that at the association meeting it was clearly stated that there is enough weeks in the year to qualify so teams/clubs have to deal with it. then one game from finals they change the rule. Surely if you havent played 4 weeks throughout the whole season to this point you shouldn't be able to play.

But also agree with benny lost a very similar amount of games last year and there was no calls there.

I know Sandy 1s will benefit from this, I heard last night maybe ango A1s as well. Not sure if any other teams in the A1s have anyone close.

I am sure alot of lower grades will get a couple more blokes through.

But she is done now so can change it.

I assume you are talking about S.Longman from SC, he has played 4 days with 2 to go so gets to 6 anyway and from Angaston you must be talking about Brandon Kurtz who has played 5 so will get to 7.
I know the facts are disappointing for a couple of you but that conspiracy theory is quite clearly blown apart.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Angry Bull » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:42 pm

A change made that has a benefit to Ango... Shock me!!!
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby Red Rocket » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:09 pm

Just a query Days, does last round count as 2 days?
If not I think you would find the Sandy player on 3 and Kurtz 4
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Postby Useless » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:23 pm

does the one day final count as a week of cricket?
Useless

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Slowey » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Useless wrote:does the one day final count as a week of cricket?

So this would mean both qualify anyway now??
Slowey

Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Stewie Griffin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:16 pm

Is a tough world. I know that Kurtz was planning on playing all year, but due to his wife working and him looking after 2 young kids he has been unavailable for half the year. He missed the one day final coz the day before was heated out. Poor lad, not sure this is the conspiracy theory that some have made it out to be. And realistically Kurtz is nothing special, Ango have gained not much if anything (sorry champ but it's true)....
Stewie Griffin
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Bordertown

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps