Adelaide Plains Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby hairy cat » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:53 pm

That's what it's all about do they have the balls to go on ;)
hairy cat
Under 16s

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby Woofa » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:
Useless wrote:
hairy cat wrote:By all reports money isn't an issue, their drawcards have fluttered of for greener pastures makes recruiting tough! !

not a money issue, its a player issue. They dont have the cattle simple as that. with locals as well as imports leaving last year not to sure what their options are.

How can you say its not a money issue. Money and the dumb way it was spent caused this whole debacle. If the money was still there, i guarantee the mercenaries would still be there. Why wouldn't they.....? They just won a premiership ffs.

100% agree. Absolutely a money issue. Well done Newton & 2014 Hamley committee! Hope it was all worth it at the expense of your club & possibly the league. With all that money, you could've recruited a dozen 21 yo players at around $250 each & created an awesome club environment for them to stay. (God knows the league looked after you with enough points over the years) You may not have won a flag straight away but at least you would be competitive. #bloodonyourhands
Equal shame on the premiership locals whom are leaving. You just gotta ride out tough times. Two Wells had plenty of tough years but at least they always had a good club environment. Same as with United & Eagles currently.
Woofa
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby RooShootOhh » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Woofa wrote:100% agree. Absolutely a money issue. Well done Newton & 2014 Hamley committee! Hope it was all worth it at the expense of your club & possibly the league. With all that money, you could've recruited a dozen 21 yo players at around $250 each & created an awesome club environment for them to stay. (God knows the league looked after you with enough points over the years) You may not have won a flag straight away but at least you would be competitive. #bloodonyourhands
Equal shame on the premiership locals whom are leaving. You just gotta ride out tough times. Two Wells had plenty of tough years but at least they always had a good club environment. Same as with United & Eagles currently.

2 things, $250 for 21 year olds is what is driving the money situation out of control, not many if any kids deserve that sort of money...
Secondly, I think you will find the committee went down that path you suggested (without the money u suggested), have a look at these names:
Zanandrea
Bradtke
Oxenham J
Oxenham R
Burchell
Pinch
Parsons

To go with locals
Appleton returning
Darwin R
Ireland returning
Power returning
Frencken returning
Even would and Schahinger aren't that old
All these lads are 19-23 yrs of age, most played regular A's last year (11 of them named in sporting pulse for the GF), to go along with another 5 or 6 Gawler lads in the 2's....

As for environment, story is Newton put on a free BBQ every thurs during preseason, hosted club functions on his property, and from all reports all the players hung around after games....

But let's just focus on the recruitment of 3 blokes, makes a better story hey....
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby Greggy Gregginson » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:05 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:
Woofa wrote:100% agree. Absolutely a money issue. Well done Newton & 2014 Hamley committee! Hope it was all worth it at the expense of your club & possibly the league. With all that money, you could've recruited a dozen 21 yo players at around $250 each & created an awesome club environment for them to stay. (God knows the league looked after you with enough points over the years) You may not have won a flag straight away but at least you would be competitive. #bloodonyourhands

2 things, $250 for 21 year olds is what is driving the money situation out of control, not many if any kids deserve that sort of money...
Secondly, I think you will find the committee went down that path you suggested (without the money u suggested), have a look at these names:
Zanandrea
Bradtke
Oxenham J
Oxenham R
Burchell
Pinch
Parsons

To go with locals
Appleton returning
Darwin R
Ireland returning
Power returning
Frencken returning
All these lads are 19-23 yrs of age, most played regular A's last year (11 of them named in sporting pulse for the GF), to go along with another 5 or 6 Gawler lads in the 2's....

As for environment, story is Newton put on a free BBQ every thurs during preseason, hosted club functions on his property, and from all reports all the players hung around after games....

But let's just focus on the recruitment of 3 blokes, makes a better story hey....

Can't see how Woofa has blamed it on the recruitment of 3 blokes anywhere Roo.. I also don't agree with your statement about not many 21 year olds deserving even $250 a game. I would say guys like Lachy Michael, Greenshields, Appelby, Rowe, Birchmore, Beard, Wise and Slattery (maybe a couple more around the league) would be worth that if they went away from their home clubs to play.

I understand Hamley Bridge struggle for locals, but you can't say that if as many of the players from last years side were not paid as much as they were, that Hamley would be in the same predicament they are now.

I believe that if an A grade side finishes top of the ladder and the B Grade doesn't make finals (or at least challenge) too much money has been spent on not enough players. Look at the predicament in the Hills league this year with Echunga winning the A grade, while their B grade was winless. Obviously too much money was spent on not enough players, or they would have a lot more depth, resulting in better B grade performances (ala Hamley Bridge)

After all, football CLUB's are CLUB's not TEAM's
(This is just my opinion on the situation, not an attack personally or at the Hamley Bridge Football Club who I hope can find a way to remain a successful club)
Greggy Gregginson
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby The reigning Ben.C » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:49 pm

Woofa wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:
Useless wrote:
hairy cat wrote:By all reports money isn't an issue, their drawcards have fluttered of for greener pastures makes recruiting tough! !

not a money issue, its a player issue. They dont have the cattle simple as that. with locals as well as imports leaving last year not to sure what their options are.

How can you say its not a money issue. Money and the dumb way it was spent caused this whole debacle. If the money was still there, i guarantee the mercenaries would still be there. Why wouldn't they.....? They just won a premiership ffs.

100% agree. Absolutely a money issue. Well done Newton & 2014 Hamley committee! Hope it was all worth it at the expense of your club & possibly the league. With all that money, you could've recruited a dozen 21 yo players at around $250 each & created an awesome club environment for them to stay. (God knows the league looked after you with enough points over the years) You may not have won a flag straight away but at least you would be competitive. #bloodonyourhands

Hamley last year spent no more money than other clubs have in previous years. Very Hypocritical.

Hamley have tried and tried and tried to recruit the right people to stay around the club. But when your lucky enough to have ex AFL players that get offered x 2.5 what they were on from other clubs, negotiating their stay becomes difficult.

Unfortunately town demographics does not lend itself to have a self sustaining pool of players -Handful of youth, minimal families, no teenage locals in town, no adult locals in or near the town, minimal minor sponsors, 1 major sponsor. give them a spell.

The cycle of locals that have moved on as suggested above have moved on for fair reason. They have been through more tough times than any other 22 - 31 year old player in the association. so pipe down .

In terms of club environment - how would you know? how many cant walk cant talks have you been to.
The reigning Ben.C
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Borat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:27 am

why did hamley premiership coach 2014, pack up and depart so quickly leaving club in this mess?
Borat

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Red Rocket » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:49 am

Borat wrote:why did hamley premiership coach 2014, pack up and depart so quickly leaving club in this mess?

Probably saw the writing on the wall.
Was well known at the start of the year that it was the the Prez's final season and he wanted to go out with a bang.
$90k out of his own wallet to win the flag, coach would of known once that well dried up the players would leave in droves. Who would want to stay and be in charge of that?
Heard that the new coach only lasted a couple of weeks, apparantly wasnt told the money was stopping and the players were all leaving. Once he heard that he promptly quit, good luck to the current coach!
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby Gilligan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Red Rocket wrote:
Borat wrote:why did hamley premiership coach 2014, pack up and depart so quickly leaving club in this mess?

Was well known at the start of the year that it was the the Prez's final season and he wanted to go out with a bang.
$90k out of his own wallet to win the flag, coach would of known once that well dried up the players would leave in droves. Who would want to stay and be in charge of that?
Heard that the new coach only lasted a couple of weeks, apparantly wasnt told the money was stopping and the players were all leaving. Once he heard that he promptly quit, good luck to the current coach!

Who was the new coach who quit , obviously not realy serious about coaching and testing himself and who is the current coach ?
Sometimes the old guys do know whats best
Gilligan
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby magpieeagle » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:07 am

Gilligan wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:

Who was the new coach who quit , obviously not realy serious about coaching and testing himself and who is the current coach ?

Hart has always been the current coach since Heberle left after the Grand Final
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:54 am

RooShootOhh wrote:2 things, $250 for 21 year olds is what is driving the money situation out of control, not many if any kids deserve that sort of money...
Zanandrea
Bradtke
Oxenham J
Oxenham R
Burchell
Pinch
Parsons

To go with locals
Appleton returning
Darwin R
Ireland returning
Power returning
Frencken returning

I don't think anyone can possibly question Newton's committment, I doubt too many people have put as much time and money into a country footy club anywhere in the State.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby RooShootOhh » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:I don't think anyone can possibly question Newton's committment, I doubt too many people have put as much time and money into a country footy club anywhere in the State.

a few comments on here suggest a differing view swamp, even some of your own!
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby Useless » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:19 pm

Any news regarding the meeting last night with Hamley, heard they were going to the association hoping to continue with an under 17s and a B grade.
Useless

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:14 pm

Useless wrote:Any news regarding the meeting last night with Hamley, heard they were going to the association hoping to continue with an under 17s and a B grade.

As much as I'd hate to see them fold, surely that is not feasible, if the program stays as it, here is Mallala's June.
30/5: Balak @ Balak.
6/6: Bye for all.
13/6: Scheduled Bye.
20/6: Bye (Hamley).
27/6: United @ Longies.
4/7: Bye for all.

I think it's quite similar for United too, although it 's going to be hard for Virginia playing United at Longies and Balaks at home on the same day in round 10.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:16 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:I don't think anyone can possibly question Newton's committment, I doubt too many people have put as much time and money into a country footy club anywhere in the State.

a few comments on here suggest a differing view swamp, even some of your own!

I've never quesitoned the mans committment, nor down played his contribution of time and money to the club (all of which I have minimal understanding of btw). My comments were regarding the way the club invested its money in recent years (which I understand a considerable amount was donated by the President) and managed its playing group. Maybe I am out of line Roo, but I think we all know the type of investment required to get absolute guns like Stribling , Dowdell and Duncan last year, knowing full well they would be unlikley to be around this year. Given the discussions around whether or not Hamley will even field two senior teams this season and the effect that could have on the league, I think its reasonable for people to speculate on the reasons why so many senior players are rumoured to have departed this season. The majority I'm sure have a valid reasons, but surely it is more than just an unfortunate coincidence.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby magpieeagle » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:02 pm

Useless wrote:Any news regarding the meeting last night with Hamley, heard they were going to the association hoping to continue with an under 17s and a B grade.

Continuing as usual
magpieeagle
Reserves

Postby magpieeagle » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

As much as I'd hate to see them fold, surely that is not feasible, if the program stays as it, here is Mallala's June.

I think it's quite similar for United too, although it 's going to be hard for Virginia playing United at Longies and Balaks at home on the same day in round 10.

Hamley are going on with 2015 but if they didn't would think the program would have been rewritten, heard one was already to be put in place if Hamley folded
magpieeagle
Reserves

Postby GIDDY UP! » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:45 pm

magpieeagle wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Hamley are going on with 2015 but if they didn't would think the program would have been rewritten, heard one was already to be put in place if Hamley folded

Well I heard from a Hamley A grader over the weekend ( yes there still some kicking around ) and he said, Hamley are done and dusted! So I don't know who to believe now?
GIDDY UP!
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby OnSong » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:22 pm

magpieeagle wrote:

Continuing as usual

Confirmed. It won't be pretty but they will work to field all four grades in some capacity.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:28 am

magpieeagle wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

It's going to be messy however it is put together, if they can't field there are teams that are going to miss plenty of footy at times during the year.
Having them fight through is for the betterment of the competition, it would be good to set a 3 year plan with perhaps Angle Vale Football Club to get an team competition going and galvanize it a little, once 7 turns into 6 it becomes fragile then 6 turning into 5 seems almost hardly worth it.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:15 am

We've seen it with another competition we loved, hey LM.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy