HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby chopper7 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:51 pm

R. White wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
Legs Man wrote:I'm not disputing it but the club is obviously getting clarification.
Can someone explain how the points have been determined and how 9 was allocated please?

Because you won the flag you get 9 points, then it gradually goes up for the teams that came lower. Hahndorf and Onkas would have 15 points for being bottom two, I think ironbank have 12 or 13 after coming 6th.

Seems fairly straight forward. I was under the understanding that it was averaged over 3 years though. If that it not the case then no reason for the inquiry by Echunga. If it is the case then it may have some merit as div 2 is a lower grade.
Personally I think it should just be based on the previous year only. Why complicate things?
As for your boys smashing Echunga round one chopper, good luck to you, but I would be more worried about beating them in September. You don't win preliminary finals in April

You gotta start somewhere whitey!!
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby grasshopper22 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:25 pm

Ok as an outsider if a team is allocated 15 points this year and they win the flag, most of you are saying it should be based over 1 yr, so essentially that means 9 points for next year. and having to say goodbye to current players on list if maintained all points players? How's that fair?
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby choppy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:20 am

grasshopper22 wrote:Ok as an outsider if a team is allocated 15 points this year and they win the flag, most of you are saying it should be based over 1 yr, so essentially that means 9 points for next year. and having to say goodbye to current players on list if maintained all points players? How's that fair?

Coming up from Div 2 does anyone know the points of Mt Lofty, do the get a few extras because of the move up? I believe its a three year sliding scale.
choppy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Legs Man » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:59 am

The questions I am asking:

Is the points derived based on the last 3 years?
Are Div 2 points weighted the same as Div 1 - even though it is a lower grade?
is it total number of games won and do finals have a heavier weighting? (if finals are included)

If finals are now deemed as of no value when relegation is imposed - they surely cant be included when deriving apps points.(or can they)

How many points do Uraidla get after winning and playing in the last 3 Div 1 Grand Finals?

I am hoping someone on the forum can explain simply how the HFL system works as I am unsure with all the changes of late.
As you are aware my own thoughts are that every side has the same allocation if a relegation system is in place - ensuring even opportunity.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby wazzal77 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:29 am

The CFL document on the HFL website isnt that helpful here, it states that each team gets a max of 13 points and it states that allocation is dependant on where the team finished on the previous season ladder. However the way it reads I interpret that the League (the clubs of the HFL) can adopt a sliding scale approach.

From my speaking with people it is on a sliding scale based on the number of wins per season excluding finals. For a Div 2 club to come up to the Div 1 I understand that there is a perceived issue that its not the same comp (Div 1 being superior) but then if you look at the fact that a Div 2 club won the premiership in Div 1 that flies in the face of that argument.

Can we also assume that the rules which the clubs vote for is open and transparent to all clubs, including Div 2 clubs. IF a club isappealing the calculation when they already new about, and would have been involved in voting on it, it seems to show a lack of respect for all the other clubs?

When there are movements of clubs between Divisions it is never going to be a perfect system. But the system needs to cater for the majority of clubs.

If Echunga are appealing about points allocation after winning a grand final it displays IMO selfishness and greed. This forum is full of pro and anti Echunga and frankly it is VERY boring. There are 9 other clubs that are probably more worthwhile talking about. The more airtime Echunga get on here the more pro and anti sentiment builds.

Lets move on and talk about real football issues not just one clubs issues it has against the HFL world. How have the trial matches gone anyone? Any vast improvers (teams or players) out there?

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=3465960
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times

Postby grasshopper22 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:09 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
lovethefooty wrote:any clubs starting trials this week??
I would assume most clubs are getting into it now.
bring on the footy I say!!

Ironbank is travelling to meningie to take them on, then broadview the following week.

How'd the trial go?
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times

Postby qwerty » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm

The points system is a joke and there are so many scenarios that it does not take into account.

Say a team that wins a flag / plays in a grand final or finishes in a high ladder position, then has two or three retirements that are 0 point players, you loose one or two to change of circumstances i.e.travel, work etc maybe a few young lads go to a league club or afl reserves team now. You get less points cause you had a good season now you can only pick up a couple of players to replace maybe 6-7 that have moved on for various reasons so instead of going out and replacing those players (if you have the capacity) and still being in your 'premiership window' you are restricted by the points system.

You are penalised for being successful.

Clubs encourage their promisinig younger players (generally 0 pointers) to have a crack at a higher level and if they make it you loose a 0 point player and then you also have to replace that player (usually through recruiting) and you get no compensation for this and essentially a player short.

Just scrap the whole thing and let the stongest survive there would be plenty of examples of where the same clubs are in the sameladder positions since it's inception. the only thing it has done is perhaps level out the top half of the competion to some degree.
qwerty
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby jumbo20 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:15 pm

why don't we just rename the comp the Echunga Football League, and allow all rules and regulations to be decided by their lawyers president and people to suit them.
We would be a better and more happy league if they were not involved
jumbo20
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Legs Man » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Agree with qwerty on this one - all teams start the season with the same allocation of points - be it 11 or 13 - clubs decide.
This must be implemented if the HFL wants to maintain relegation as a part of our makeup.

Please realise that this isn't just about Echunga - even though some of you like to deem it is!

This is about creating a competition that works for all involved from both a senior and junior level more importantly.
You'd be crazy to think Echunga will be the only club to face the anomalies as the success window is only so big.

Your club too will be effected sooner or later unless everyone works together to iron out the problems.
Work collaboratively and try to implement solutions that will work evenly for EVERYBODY.

All clubs should have the same opportunity - not just Echunga!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:19 pm

qwerty wrote:The points system is a joke and there are so many scenarios that it does not take into account.

Say a team that wins a flag / plays in a grand final or finishes in a high ladder position, then has two or three retirements that are 0 point players, you loose one or two to change of circumstances i.e.travel, work etc maybe a few young lads go to a league club or afl reserves team now. You get less points cause you had a good season now you can only pick up a couple of players to replace maybe 6-7 that have moved on for various reasons so instead of going out and replacing those players (if you have the capacity) and still being in your 'premiership window' you are restricted by the points system.

You are penalised for being successful.

Clubs encourage their promisinig younger players (generally 0 pointers) to have a crack at a higher level and if they make it you loose a 0 point player and then you also have to replace that player (usually through recruiting) and you get no compensation for this and essentially a player short.

Just scrap the whole thing and let the stongest survive there would be plenty of examples of where the same clubs are in the sameladder positions since it's inception. the only thing it has done is perhaps level out the top half of the competion to some degree.

That's why its worked out over a 3 year period, not just 1 season. Smart clubs will overcome loss of players/retirements Uraidla & Mt Barker for example, not so smart clubs will get burned Mt lofty for example. Mind you is does help to have major benefactors paying ridiculous amounts of coin towards player$, that is more a problem than the APPS IMO.

Having salary caps where the PLAYERS (not club officials) have to sign stat decs stating what they get would be the way to go. If they get caught receiving under the table payments or cash left in their socks/boots/bags type payments, then big fines for not only the player but also the person giving them the cash. They are the real cancer of country footy.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby lovethefooty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:38 am

anyone want to talk about the football and make a prediction of the top 5 in central this year?
lovethefooty
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:00 pm

lovethefooty wrote:anyone want to talk about the football and make a prediction of the top 5 in central this year?

Echunga- Gained guy and jesse edwards, only issue will be is when carey is down at crows but a high class side and should finish top.
Lobethal- lost a couple but a few handy ins with fisher, etc. Seem determined to make up for last year.
Uraidla- Lost a couple but still to good not to be up there, will cruise through the minor rounds unless their playing echunga.
Mt Barker- I may be ranking them to low, Hughes will be back full time, picked up hill and wakefield to go with their already quality list just need to avoid injuries this year. Pope being out will hurt though.
Torrens Valley- One of the better teams in the second half of the year once O'sullivan played, losing Mcentee is huge but ellis coming back along with boras and hanna as new players they should be in the top 5.
Ironbank- Have recruited well with hitchcock and de visser and i think its a toss up between them and TV for the 5. Motlop and Hitchcock will be a very good combination.
Blackwood- Lost their recruits from last year but picked up some guns in bricknell and thompson, however bricknell is always injured so that should be interesting. Rely to heavily on edwards and herbert in the middle and its time some of their younger guys stood up.
Onka Valley- Havent recruited much part from grocke who wont play till later on anyway, Mcghaey will play but he already adds to their increasingly old midfield of klun and tanner, Although that may not be bad thing as they are all very smart but I just worry when they face quick teams like lobethal and echunga.
Hahndorf- Wittwer may be down at the crows and hourigan is there only other recruit to go along with losing big dan roberts, although shouldnt have injury issues like last year and players travelling but seem to be going with youngsters which may make it a long year.
Lofty- Lost Gordon but gained Childs who adds size, to be honest i think they will be a very competitive side but I just think they lack the class of some teams and rely to heavily on miles and nielsen. I think if they come last it shows the even nature of the competition as i really think this year should be a cracking season.

Probably will be completely wrong but thats my guesses, should be a great year tho with most teams getting better from last year. Injuries will probably play a big part in who finishes where.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:06 pm

lovethefooty wrote:anyone want to talk about the football and make a prediction of the top 5 in central this year?

The football is just a sideshow to the entertainment package the HFL has become.
For what it's worth, Echunga to finish top and stick it up all you whiners on here. Looking forward to another summer of whining from you blokes that were embarrassed by a div 2 club.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby lovethefooty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:00 pm

just like the movie batmanbegins......quality.
good assessment.
I suspect it will be an even comp.
injuries as always will play a part.
all clubs get them.
it is who they get them to that is super important!!
lovethefooty
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby wazzal77 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Tips for Round 1, which is only 3 weeks away:

Ironbank over Onkas. Ironbank settled with their team and coach, new coach at Onkas will take a few games to get in the swing
Lobethal over Echunga: Lobethal smarting after last years poor finals and bad run of injuries. Echunga have everything to lose this season.
Hahndorf over Torrens Valley: Hahndorf coaches 2nd year, last years ladder position reflective of the 2nd tier team they had on the park. Depth will hurt with any injuries during the season though.
Mt Lofy over Blackwood: Mt Lofty out to prove a point. Could be a smokey this year to make the 5.

My ladder tips:

Top 3: Lobey, Uraidla and Mt Barker
Next 2: Echunga and Mt Lofty
Bottom 5: Torrens Valley, Ironbank, Hahndorf, Blackwood and Onkas.

Wooden spoon to close to call and too early to call.

Good to see quality posts like Batman talking real footy.

A message to all of the forum typers, if you ignore the negative posts and bulls*&t whilst it will smell for a while it will eventually rot away.
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:46 pm

wazzal77 wrote:Echunga have everything to lose this season.

They have a Division 1 HFL premiership, something that 12 other HFL clubs have never achieved - that can never be taken away from them.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Legs Man » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:16 pm

Reckon Ironbank will be the smoky this year and the big improvers.

Gee Wazza - your intimate understanding of HFL is very good for someone who is apparently very new to the area - well done!

And agreed LGIL the feat of last year is likely never to be repeated and is now set in the history books.

Injuries are such a big part of the competition and will undoubtedly have the biggest impact.

BTW - if the players had to declare their remuneration then one club in particular would be in big trouble e.g. family trips to Bali, extra employment remuneration etc etc. (and it isn't Echunga - we would welcome it ) - I am sure you can work that one out pretty easily.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby RooShootOhh » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Legs Man wrote:BTW - if the players had to declare their remuneration then one club in particular would be in big trouble e.g. family trips to Bali, extra employment remuneration etc etc. (and it isn't Echunga - we would welcome it ) - I am sure you can work that one out pretty easily.

Is this coming from a club who ALLEGEDLY paid players under the table out of taxpayers pockets....

We all hear rumours etc around the traps but I would imagine NO club is innocent, so I wouldnt start throwing mud, you just never know where it might stck legs man!
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby wazzal77 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Legs Man wrote:Reckon Ironbank will be the smoky this year and the big improvers.

Gee Wazza - your intimate understanding of HFL is very good for someone who is apparently very new to the area - well done!

And agreed LGIL the feat of last year is likely never to be repeated and is now set in the history books.

Injuries are such a big part of the competition and will undoubtedly have the biggest impact.

BTW - if the players had to declare their remuneration then one club in particular would be in big trouble e.g. family trips to Bali, extra employment remuneration etc etc. (and it isn't Echunga - we would welcome it ) - I am sure you can work that one out pretty easily.

When you can look at results, player lists and stats all online it only takes an investment in time to look at each of the clubs lists and make a 'informed' opinion (I use that term very loosely, as informed as you can be looking at stats, results and players). Technology is a marvellous thing. Im not a Jarman fan, hence why I have rated Ironbank more highly.
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby Yellow & Black » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Injuries undeniably play a huge part and tests depth. My Tiges have already suffered a season ender to one of our key players, needless to say Skinsy and the entire Club's shattered, he's a great fella. What makes our game so good though is the void presents an opportunity for a youngster to step up which is exciting.

Chopper - Sounds like you're treating round 1 as win at all costs, I don't see it that way mate, although it would be nice to knock off the reigning premiers, I think we need to work out how to salute come the pointy end. Previous seasons we've been 7-0 and 8-0 (or thereabouts) and dropped away. Don't win flags in April my friend...
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy